Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 07:47 PM)

There is also Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, where people regularly get summoned to a fantasy world, then eventually sent back with their accumulated powers (and the main character smuggles the demon lord's daugher by his request, which is a no-no)

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 07:23 PM)

We need more inverse isekais, like The Devil is a Part-Timer

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 04:11 PM)

I feel like Tron is pushing it but I can't actually come up with an argument to that effect

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

To Arazyr- I don't see why it wouldn't be.

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 02:11 PM)

Just like how TRON and Captain N are early examples of "getting transported into a video game"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2019 - 02:07 PM)

That would explain why it's so common for isekai settings to be blatantly RPG-inspired.

@  Arazyr : (14 January 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Would the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon count as isekai? 8^)

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:06 PM)

I am in the exceedingly unpleasant position of knowing what you're talking about

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:05 PM)

So I'll just say I can consume the series without endorsing the real-life lie that false rape accusations are common and successful.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:04 PM)

I would go on to talk about that, but alas, that would spoil significant future story details about the accuser.

@  B-Fox : (14 January 2019 - 12:03 PM)

Shield Hero dared to have a male character falsely accused of rape, right?

@  B-Fox : (14 January 2019 - 12:02 PM)

At least now people will stop shitting on slice-of-life shows....

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:01 PM)

listen just because it has shield in its name does not mean you need to ally with it

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:01 PM)

oh good lord

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:00 PM)

In fact, the Shield Hero series does not portray slavery as a good thing nor keep the initial slave characters down for the count.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:00 PM)

If you're referring to The Rising of the Shield Hero, the backlash from some Western fans is misaimed, IMO.

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 11:59 AM)

I wish I was more surprised that "slavery apologetics" is a thing. Still disgusted.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 11:53 AM)

But surely we all know the best isekai is Captain N.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 11:49 AM)

This morning I saw one of my friends express disbelief at having an opportunity to say "yet another slavery apologist isekai"

@  Lancer : (14 January 2019 - 11:21 AM)

Although recently they explicably acquire a harem by purchasing them as slaves, which makes it that much worse

@  Lancer : (14 January 2019 - 11:21 AM)

I think what people hate is the modern trend of isekai taking place in generic-ass fantasy settings with bland, oft-overpowered male protagonists that inexplicably acquire a harem.

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 11:07 AM)

Does Kingdom Hearts count? On the one hand it's a serial world hopping adventure, on the other hand all the worlds are contained within the same overworld that the characters have always been in, just unaware of.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Kaiju Thread - From Godzilla to the Pacific Rim

Godzilla Kaiju Toho Pacific Rim Jaeger

1722 replies to this topic

#41 Starsteam

Starsteam

Rowsdower

• Citizen
  • 1321 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

That is friggin fantastic.

#42 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Now where did I leave that darn key!

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

BBTS has lowered the price even further to $13.60 for the opened mouth silver version of the Mecha King Kong figure. For that price, I gladly threw it into my pile of loot. Unfortunately the bomb belt silver version is already sold out.

http://www.bigbadtoy...amp;company=633

Link has all the Raymundo Mechanikong products they carry. Looks like all the prices for them dropped, although I'm having trouble making sense of the pricing scheme.

#43 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Nov 15 2011, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just reviewed "Atragon".

It wasn't nearly the jingoistic bit of nationalism I remember it being when I first watched it, or how a lot of reviews make it out to be. As a matter of fact, it had a very progressive theme supporting globalization and urging old timers to let go of their grip on the long-gone Japanese Empire.

It was a very fascinating piece of political and social commentary on par with the original "Godzilla".

But MAN was it boring. And Manda doesn't do crap in the thing.

My copy of Atragon arrived on Friday, and I just had the opportunity to watch the whole thing this morning.

First thing I noticed within the first ten minutes is that the cast is full of a who's who of Toho kaiju movie actors. It was cool to see so many familiar Toho faces in one movie. I do have to agree that it was a little boring. It seemed to take forever to get to the Atragon, and then even longer for it to really do anything. That said it does have some great effects. I loved the scene of the attack on the city causing it to sink as it has to be the best miniature shot in the film. When the Atragon finally does go on the offensive, it is fun to watch.

The nationalism aspect didn't bother me at all, if anything it's one of the more interesting parts of the movie as its the captain's stubborn grip on the past that's endangering the future of all people on the planet. It kind of plays into the ending too with the Mu Empress swimming away.

I knew Manda was barely in the movie beforehand, but I was dissappointed that when he does show up the scene is very murky because its underwater. The transfer of the dvd is fantastic, it's just that this scene is meant to look like its underwater. Doesn't help that they're shooting ink/smoke torpedos at him to blind him to the escaping scubadivers either. So you never really get a good clear look at him, and it's a huge contrast to his appearance in Destroy All Monsters. Atragon may be his first appearance, but DAM is the definitive Manda, imo. There's *nothing* in Atragon that compares to the scene of him attacking the monorail in DAM, or, well, really any shot of him in DAM.

#44 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:51 PM

I rediscovered Bill's Kitchen last week, the guy makes his own kaiju models from scratch:

http://www.bills-kit...tchen/home.html

One of my favorites:

http://www.bills-kit...Godzilla.html#2

On them twitters

#45 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Nov 28 2011, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I rediscovered Bill's Kitchen last week, the guy makes his own kaiju models from scratch:

http://www.bills-kit...tchen/home.html

One of my favorites:

http://www.bills-kit...Godzilla.html#2

Wow, if this is the same one I'm thinking, nice to see that site still around.

#46 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

Watched Goro for the first time, and my appreciation for it really grew after I realized it was made in 1961. For some reason I always thought it was a product of the mid-70's. Anyway, some great effects and perspective shots especially considering the time period. I didn't care much for the head design on the creature, but I get that they were probably going for a kind of walking alligator. For my tastes the snout was a little too squarish, and the back through to the tail does look like the back of a gator. I really appreciated that they had the suit actor's legs bent at all times, which helped make it look less like a suit actor.

I was *very* suprised at how graphic the destruction in London was, even more so after realizing it was done in 1961. Buildings, walls, ceilings, and debris fall over the place on top of the fleeing people of the city. People are getting crushed, and they allow no doubt that its happening. Reminded me of Gamera 3 in that way that its not a good idea to be around these giant monsters. The story's a little straight forward with a kind of twist on the King Kong brought to New York story, but it gets the job done, and the acting was great. I was also suprised to learn that the director for this also directed The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, which I also watched this weekend(and also holds up, imo, especially if you're a Hauryhausen nut).

The transfer on VCI's "Widescreeen Destruction Edition" dvd could have been better but was decent for watching upscaled without being overly bothered. We're a little spoiled with all these great Shout! and Media Blasters releases lately, but I would still like to see this get similar treatment. The picture could look a lot more clean than it does even in standard dvd definition. However, I was completely suprised that the sound was in 5.1. Unfortunately there's no English 2.0 stereo, as its 5.1 or nothing. So I guess you can't hear it non-digitally altered without listening to the French soundtrack. That said the 5.1 is suprisingly good, and the rear speakers are used quite well during certain spots of the movie.

This movie is definitely worth a look for any kaiju fan.

#47 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:59 AM

SHF Mecha Godzilla is out it seems. Still itty bitty

http://blog.livedoor.jp/hacchaka/archives/51788320.html

#48 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

Wow, random tech detail on the side of the head.

#49 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

Pat Lee-esque?

#50 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

At least his arms aren't as thick as his legs.

#51 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

My silver open-mouth Raymundo Mechani-Kong arrived today. The sculpt is nice and I like the silver. Articulation just consists of the waist and simple up/down for the arms, but no leg articulation. Height and bulk wise, it's roughly half the size of the Bandai. It's a little taller than your typical Revoltech kaiju. The only fault I can find with it is that it's sculpted so that it's kind of back-heavy. There needed to be a little pitch forward at the ankles. As a result, in a stand-at-attention pose he wants to fall backwards unless you counterweight it by raising the arms slightly forward as pictured below.

For $13.60, I'm pretty darn happy with this, and despite the balance issue, heavily recommend adding it to your pile of loot at BBTS before it's out of stock. Especially considering how crazy high the Bandai's ebay prices can go. I wish I would have had the heads up on these when they originally clearanced so I could have picked the bomb-belt version up for $17 at the same time.

#52 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20613 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

For Christmas I got the last major Toho Kaiju film I was missing! King Kong Escapes was added to my collection this morning and I gave it a watch tonight.

I think the best review I can give is to call it bat-jive crazy. So they took King Kong, mixed it in with a robot, threw in some corny American actors, a few James Bond reject villains (DR. WHO. DR. WHO), and what the hell, the North Pole and Tokyo too. It's wonderfully bizaare and hilariously stupid. Kong's like a trained puppy dog to the obnoxiously annoying Linda Miller, and Dr. Who is wonderfully Corny and laughably cheesy and the Kong Suit is absolutely terrible but still hilarious (I love how he punched Gorosaurus to death) and frankly, it's just a stupid fun blast.

Great film.

Edited by Master Fwiffo, 26 December 2011 - 12:04 AM.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#53 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:11 AM

One thing I really liked about it is the smaller scale of Kong made for some great miniatures. I generally like my monsters nice and big, so that they are not always dwarfed by buildings, but I kinda wish Toho did more smaller scale deals like this, FCTW, and WOTG.

#54 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

SHM Godzilla may be tiny but these are so tiny it makes Godzilla huuuuge icon-waspy.gif

http://gamu-toys.info/gangu/soutyaku/shm/shm03/shm03.html

#55 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

I'm amused that those maser vehicles are more in scale than they were in Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla. Nice that they bothered to go the extra distance with those.

#56 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

I'm appalled that the SHM Garuda for Mechagodzilla isn't an included accessory with the figure, and even worse, costs as much as the figure itself.

#57 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE(Alpha Omega Trion Supreme @ Dec 29 2011, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm appalled that the SHM Garuda for Mechagodzilla isn't an included accessory with the figure, and even worse, costs as much as the figure itself.

I'm just glad they are even doing it at all. I was worried they had dropped it when the Mechagodzilla pre-order went up.

#58 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:56 AM

I hope they release in scale papercraft buildings to go with the toys. would be great for the SHM and SRC Robots

#59 Robogeek1973

Robogeek1973
  • Retired Staff
  • 15426 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(Alpha Omega Trion Supreme @ Dec 30 2011, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This right here.

I've got Godzilla and Mecha G in my pile of loot at BBTS but the asking price for the Garuda set is downright ridiculous. If I can find it somewhere for a better price I'll get it, but if not than I guess no Super Mecha G for me.

#60 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 8825 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

Some guy with Media Blasters had the following to say:
"When the deals for these films were made, Toho didn't want any extra content on the discs while Media Blasters wanted to include a lot of extras. So there was a lot of back and forth betwee...n the two companies until they came to an agreement. There were some stipulations from Toho about what content could or couldn't be advertised, which is why there were some extras on the discs that were mentioned in the press release but not on the final cover art.

But when DAM came out Toho complained to Media Blasters that there were more extras than they'd expected there to be. My understanding is that the main issue was with stills, because Toho would charge for each photo used and therefore the more images, the bigger the payment to them. Media Blasters said they're willing to pay the difference so its a matter of coming up with an acceptable figure.

Rather than put out MEGALON now and risk a repeat of what happened with DAM, both sides want MEGALON pre-approved before it goes to press. Like I said before, I haven't heard of any specific issues with MEGALON... the delay is that Toho is focused on DAM and wants that resolved before turning their attention to the next release. And once Toho and Media Blasters are on the same page with DAM, MEGALON should go much more smoothly.

All the legal stuff sure is fun!"

So, yes, Toho is upset. Over stills, of all things.

Edited by Moon Captain, 30 December 2011 - 10:04 PM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godzilla, Kaiju, Toho, Pacific Rim, Jaeger

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users