Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2018 - 11:40 AM)

Mwahahaha! I am writing this WIRELESSLY from my desktop!

@  unluckiness : (13 November 2018 - 10:28 AM)

yes.

@  Pennpenn : (13 November 2018 - 07:48 AM)

Is that nightmare fuel for wanking or nightmare fuel that is- actually you know what never mind.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2018 - 05:07 AM)

This is the Internet. Everything produces wanking nightmare fuel.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 November 2018 - 01:52 AM)

Yet both have produced wanking nightmare fuel. (Rule 34 is a harsh mistress)

@  fourteenwings : (12 November 2018 - 11:41 PM)

I don't know if "magic animals" and "mecha" abide by the same design principals.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (12 November 2018 - 09:20 PM)

PS4 controllers are crap. x.x;

@  Paladin : (12 November 2018 - 08:16 PM)

it took me way too long to realize that didn't actually say "wanking nightmare fuel."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (12 November 2018 - 08:14 PM)

I'm quite sure that directors don't make the designs because that would be ludicrous amount of work for a single person.

@  Noideaforaname : (12 November 2018 - 05:35 PM)

I guess "walking nightmare fuel" is an improvement...

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2018 - 04:12 PM)

It’s something when the new Pokemon movie is completely accurate to the original source character designs than the Transformers movies. Michael Bay would have created hyper stylised redesigns of Pokemon and many completely new designs if he was doing it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 November 2018 - 01:54 PM)

RIP Stan Lee.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (12 November 2018 - 04:25 AM)

Ehh.. Except for a couple of people, the video game section isn't that bad.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2018 - 08:27 PM)

It feels like this hasn't been said enough: anybody who cares what people at TFW does would surely just check there themselves.

@  Gryllid : (11 November 2018 - 06:50 PM)

And with the Seinfeld/Cyberverse names, the genders matched up, and some of them seem fitting enough ("Peterman" for a leader figure prone to dramatic pronouncements; "Puddy" for a big, strong, gruff guy, etc.)

@  Gryllid : (11 November 2018 - 06:46 PM)

Well, the codenames aren't completely random. Shatter and Dropkick were "Red Light" and "Blue Light", weren't they? Referencing their colors.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 November 2018 - 09:05 AM)

I'm sure the Hasbro logistics guy in charge of assigning the code names would be amused too, if he knew what TFW2005 was.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2018 - 01:30 AM)

Yup. TFW2005.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2018 - 02:57 PM)

Even though we have seen time and again that those names are just randomly applied names from whatever "theme" Hasbro has chosen for the respective line, with no intentional relation between code name and character.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2018 - 02:57 PM)

I love how folks on TFW2005 still assume the code names for toys from new toylines are mystery games Hasbro has created for the fans, and thus are trying to interpret a meaning into those names to guess the character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 07:56 PM)

I haven't watched many eps yet... Mainly cause I've gotten where I just wait till seasons end and watch the whole thing.

@  RichardT1977 : (09 November 2018 - 07:23 PM)

I presume he's going to feature heavily in episode 15

@  RichardT1977 : (09 November 2018 - 07:20 PM)

And like I said in one of the discussion threads, his voice reminds me of the English dub of Alexander Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 07:20 PM)

Ahh, I ment shown up as a Main character yet, but I wasn't specific. :D

@  RichardT1977 : (09 November 2018 - 07:19 PM)

He showed up in "Maccadam's", and has at least been heard in a few other prior episodes.

@  abates : (09 November 2018 - 07:06 PM)

Yeah, he's shown up a couple of times.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 07:01 PM)

I ment in the show.

@  Nevermore : (09 November 2018 - 06:38 PM)

Which one?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 05:31 PM)

Has Cyberverse Grim even showed up yet?

@  Paladin : (09 November 2018 - 05:26 PM)

now that it's out in the open, can I just say NuRID Grimlock is the most interesting version of the character in TWENTY YEARS?

@  Foffy : (09 November 2018 - 05:08 PM)

grimlock eats sloppily at olive garden (ASMR)

@  abates : (09 November 2018 - 05:07 PM)

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

It could have fit perfectly in Robots in Disguise too. Just have Grimlock waving a pool noodle around and give the line to Drift.

Underquoted Transformers: The Movie quotes: "Grimlock, get your noodle out of my face."

@  RichardT1977 : (09 November 2018 - 04:58 PM)

Yeah, IIRC Wilbur was a spring pig.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2018 - 01:48 PM)

I read that as "First sow of the season" and I was about to say that I wasn't aware pigs were typically born in the winter.

@  Paladin : (09 November 2018 - 08:59 AM)

ugh. first snow of the season...

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2018 - 08:22 AM)

Shield agent, that's just nuts...

@  Pennpenn : (09 November 2018 - 03:56 AM)

Though there are rumours he's secretly a Pine.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 November 2018 - 01:15 AM)

Idea: in a universe wherein plant alt-modes are common, Maccadam transforms into a macadamia tree.

@  Waspinator : (08 November 2018 - 08:51 PM)

That apparently gets you the help you want. https://www.schlockm....com/2010-04-14

@  wonko the sane? : (08 November 2018 - 07:01 PM)

Eh, just conference call it to the suicide hotline AI.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2018 - 05:00 PM)

Soon we'll have AI making the calls.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2018 - 04:04 PM)

Sure, but you can't try to counter-troll them and see if you can annoy them into giving up first.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 November 2018 - 03:29 PM)

Robots are cheaper, and don't have mental break downs when people swear at them. Considering how many call centers these days are scams: it's not hard to see why folks don't want to work in them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2018 - 03:25 PM)

I miss getting real people for spam calls instead of bots. The bots are no fun.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 November 2018 - 03:24 PM)

I like the robot from "the visa mastercard rewards center". It feels so cathartic to slam the phone on it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (08 November 2018 - 02:57 PM)

A lot of our phone scams up here come from India, pretending to be Revenue Canada. I think they mostly target recent immigrants who aren't familiar with the system, but they've gotten lots of clueless seniors, too.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2018 - 02:52 PM)

I like the ones that fake the caller ID so it looks like your own number is calling you.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (08 November 2018 - 02:46 PM)

U.S. phone spam is getting ridiculous. I got calls from New York and California in the same hour today.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Kaiju Thread - From Godzilla to the Pacific Rim

Godzilla Kaiju Toho Pacific Rim Jaeger

1688 replies to this topic

#1 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20516 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

My first batch of Godzilla movies were taped from this marathon. Good memories.

Haha, they labeled Gabara as Baragon.

Anyway, the real reason for recreating this thread actually picks up off non-Godzilla stuff. As I mentioned in the last thread, I picked up the original Ultraman series solely because I knew they reused the Godzilla suits in a few episodes. Needless to say, I had a blast.

I've now acquired the complete Ultra Q (the series that preceeded Ultraman but was more Kaiju and less Sentai focused) and unfortunately, the copies I got are raw in Japanese. Anybody know where I might be able to find a subtitle copy of the series?

I'd also like to track down Ultraseven too. >>

Edited by Master Fwiffo, 09 October 2014 - 01:57 PM.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#2 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

I'm not sure the original Ultra Q has ever been fully subtitled. I think someone made some subbed VHS or DVDs a few years back distributed during a convention, but not the whole series, and not uploaded online.

Ultraseven was apparently subbed by a group called Hi no Tori.

#3 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:15 AM

look on the first post in the toku thread for all the subbed Ultra stuff

#4 Starsteam

Starsteam

Rowsdower

• Citizen
  • 1321 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

Has anyone gotten a copy of the new Destroy All Monsters DVD/BD? I'd like to hear some thoughts on it overall.

#5 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Now where did I leave that darn key!

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(Starsteam @ Nov 8 2011, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone gotten a copy of the new Destroy All Monsters DVD/BD? I'd like to hear some thoughts on it overall.

A gazillion times better than the previous ADV Films release. I've only watched the default dub on the bluray so far though. Colors don't seem as vibrant as they should be in some scenes, but that's the only nitpick I can find so far, and its probably something you can fix by tweaking your tv color settings anyway. I hadn't watched this in a long while because the ADV flaws look even worse on a HDTV, so I had forgotten that there are actually more kaiju scenes than I remembered. Definitely recommended based on the default dub and just the movie alone. I'm looking forward to sampling the other audio tracks, commentary, and extras.

#6 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Starsteam @ Nov 8 2011, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HMV stores in Canada aren't carrying either of the new Destroy All Monsters or Godzilla Vs Megalon DVD/BRDs. icon-megs.gif But we did get the latest Gamera BRD releases.

In other news, CBR has some preview pages from Godzilla Legends #1: Anguirus.

#7 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

These are rather nice, though maybe too expensive for most people's tastes.

#8 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(Shanghai @ Nov 11 2011, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get a "Monsterland Godzilla from GvGigan" vibe from that super deformed G.

#9 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

Same here, and I love Mechagodzilla's Jet Jaguar styled grin.

#10 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

Just finished watching the Destroy All Monsters blu-ray with the commentary. The commentary is very informative without any pauses. I never noticed that the original Ultraman, Hayata, was one of the brainwashed scientists in the background on Monster Island!

On my second watch I was able to soak in the extra detail even more. Details in the miniatures, suits, matte paintings and the like. Any tiny scene with Varan, Baragon, Manda where they weren't much more than background blurr I can at least see some detail now. I understand that the one group scene with the three of them in the background on the right is actually a cardboard cutout painting.

The default English dub is not the original AIP version, which the commentary says is superior. I'm in the process of listening to the AIP now, and although it's not quite as clean as the default track, the dubbing is definitely much better and what's being spoken better matches what's going on. The first few minutes definitely have some warbling going on like there's a helicopter in the room. Fortunately Clubtokyo.org is saying that audio problem is confined to that first few minutes, and that if you watch it in English, you should watch the AIP dub. I'll post here if I notice the helicopter show up again, but so far so good.

And there's more! There's two Japanese audio tracks, one of which is in 5.1! So I'll be watching this yet again in such a short time! I can't recommend this blu-ray enough.

#11 Star-A-Star

Star-A-Star

To me, Meowlnir!

• Citizen
  • 6252 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

Man, I'm watching Gamera 3 for the first time in probably 10 years and I'd forgotten how intense the battle in Shibuya is. I can't remember another kaiju movie that has dealt with the "collateral" damage of a giant monster battle like Gamera 3. That's the one thing that's always bugged me about the Godzilla movies - with but a few exceptions, the places Godzilla and others destroy are treated as if they've been fully evacuated and civilian casualties are almost non-existent. In Gamera 3 the human toll is very real and they don't shy away from showing it either, and the casualties are as much from the actions of Gamera as the actions of Gyaos, effectively making the point that this Gamera doesn't so much care about humanity as he does about destroying his natural enemy. I've got to point out too that the special effects are probably the best I've ever seen in a kaiju movie which only adds to the intensity of the battles.
Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#12 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20516 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(Fullstrength Motleypuss @ Nov 11 2011, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, I'm watching Gamera 3 for the first time in probably 10 years and I'd forgotten how intense the battle in Shibuya is. I can't remember another kaiju movie that has dealt with the "collateral" damage of a giant monster battle like Gamera 3. That's the one thing that's always bugged me about the Godzilla movies - with but a few exceptions, the places Godzilla and others destroy are treated as if they've been fully evacuated and civilian casualties are almost non-existent. In Gamera 3 the human toll is very real and they don't shy away from showing it either, and the casualties are as much from the actions of Gamera as the actions of Gyaos, effectively making the point that this Gamera doesn't so much care about humanity as he does about destroying his natural enemy. I've got to point out too that the special effects are probably the best I've ever seen in a kaiju movie which only adds to the intensity of the battles.

The Shibuya battle and the ariel fight in that movie are absolutely fantastic. It's too bad the final battle is just a rather dull shoving match.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#13 Star-A-Star

Star-A-Star

To me, Meowlnir!

• Citizen
  • 6252 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Nov 11 2011, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fullstrength Motleypuss @ Nov 11 2011, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Shibuya battle and the ariel fight in that movie are absolutely fantastic. It's too bad the final battle is just a rather dull shoving match.

No kidding. I have a feeling they blew most of the budget on Shibuya and the CGI for Iris and it cost us a more impressive final battle.
Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#14 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

I finished watching the DAM blu-ray with the AIP dub, and the "helicopter" is confined to the first few minutes. The rest of the dub isn't as clean as the default english dub, there's some slight hiss and popping here and there, but it's definitely the better dub despite that. I understand now why the G fans who were aware of it were so adamant about it being included.

I sampled the Japanese 5.1 and it's ok considering it was never in 5.1 in the first place. Also watched the photo extras which was pretty cool. A nice slideshow of behind the scene stills and promotional material. I was suprised to see Varan and Baragon show up as often as I did in the pics. Is the "8mm" extra the source of the AIP dub? Not sure why it was included.

You know what would have made the final battle with Ghidorah better? If Ghidorah had managed to kill one(or more) of the lesser kaiju. The Varan and Baragon suits were barely holding together anyway, so death by electrical explosion would have been a cool way to finally retire them. icon-hotrod.gif

#15 Starsteam

Starsteam

Rowsdower

• Citizen
  • 1321 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

Finally got my copies of DAM DVD and CD, and the Gamera Bluray Trilogy. Now then, for the DAM DVD, which audio should I listen with? I'm planning on watching the original Japanese since that what the picture appears to be from. I don't normally watch more than one language unless the film has some difference in it (such as the classic media DVDs) but when it's the same picture with the different dubs (Shouts Gamera DVDs) then I just watch one.

After I get the Criterion Gojira bluray, I plan to re-buy DAM and Megalon on Bluray. I just wanted to finish my DVD collection first.

#16 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE(Alpha Omega Trion Supreme @ Nov 12 2011, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what would have made the final battle with Ghidorah better? If Ghidorah had managed to kill one(or more) of the lesser kaiju. The Varan and Baragon suits were barely holding together anyway, so death by electrical explosion would have been a cool way to finally retire them. icon-hotrod.gif

Well, Baragon's suit was totally refurbished by the end of filming (as you can see in the final scene), so would have been a bit of a waste.

That said, one of the nice things about the Showa movies was the fact that they avoided killing off the monsters compared to the Gamera movies, or the Heisei and Millennium movies.

#17 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Nov 13 2011, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Shanghai @ Nov 13 2011, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Alpha Omega Trion Supreme @ Nov 12 2011, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Baragon's suit was totally refurbished by the end of filming (as you can see in the final scene), so would have been a bit of a waste.

That said, one of the nice things about the Showa movies was the fact that they avoided killing off the monsters compared to the Gamera movies, or the Heisei and Millennium movies.

Or they killed them but brought them back anyway.

Baragon and Anguirus getting their necks snapped, but I think Gorosaurus got the worst in his first appearance (Jaw snapped off).

In the scheme of things, those were all rather minor injuries (well, minus the fact that Anguirus was set on fire, but hey, he then fell right into the water).

Hand-waved away easily enough if you just say that every kaiju has massive regenerative abilities.

#18 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

I enjoy Terror of Mechagodzilla a lot more, but yeah, DAM works pretty well as a proper finale.

Though it often makes you wonder if Earth was relative peace from 1975 to 1999, or if there were all sorts of wacky adventures.

Shame Toho isn't likely to do some retro throwback series like that.

#19 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

Atragon Revoltech.

http://www.bigbadtoy...amp;mode=retail

I wonder if a Manda accessory might be included?

#20 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20516 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

Oh god suddenly I want a Final Wars one SO BAD.

ty3jHaa.jpg

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godzilla, Kaiju, Toho, Pacific Rim, Jaeger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users