Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 06:31 PM)

I stopped reading it.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 06:04 PM)

If talking about it here is all it takes to get you, why hasn't the oreo thread killed you yet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. Of your stomach.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

Hey man, how you deal with yo problems is yo bidness.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 04:08 PM)

I did no such thing! I am innocent of the pop tart corruption!

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 02:57 PM)

You guys made me buy cinnamon roll Pop Tarts today.

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:38 PM)

@D Immortalis Just fill the bag with air first and pop that? XP Oh, and you won't like that I grew up microwaving them more often than actually toasting. ;)

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:37 PM)

@MEDdMI Yeah, the even more artificial flavors like S'more are the ones that usually taste good cold. There exceptions... I think it was Sugar Cookie that needed to be toasted...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 02:19 PM)

And.. Amazon is borked.

@  Donocropolis : (16 July 2018 - 05:55 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw - Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered him and P/CP

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 01:41 AM)

Repugnus up

@  Paladin : (15 July 2018 - 07:41 PM)

or add peanut butter.

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 07:33 PM)

Nuke them enough in the microwave....?

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 06:43 PM)

if po tarts dont POP then they become a lie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 05:10 PM)

I typically just went for the traditional flavours... I think mostly Rasberry or Strawberry. I'll have to pick up a box next time I'm out

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

@Otaku I've tried that too with a few of them. I liked the soda flavored ones they had. Too bad they were limited. :(

@  Otaku : (15 July 2018 - 03:48 PM)

@D Immortalis Most Pop-Tarts I like are better eaten frozen... and the only reason I started doing that is because Pop-Tarts commercials told me to try them that way. XD

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 03:03 PM)

woohoo, just got my tickets to see From Ashes To New and Hollywood Undead on the 26th!

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 10:07 AM)

oh wow Jazz has heel spurs.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 July 2018 - 06:32 AM)

That's basically what happened to me. I was on that aisle for completely other reasons, caught sight of them in my peripheral, and then... just couldn't stop thinking about them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 02:47 AM)

Hungry for pop tarts now - haven't had those in years

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

anyone that doesnt put theit pop tarts in a toaster is a heretic.

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

Do they still make the cinnamon-brown sugar ones?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:03 PM)

Yup. And?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 08:29 PM)

Aren't Pop Tarts like, totally junk for you by the definition of the word?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Four IS standard... but it's been so long I had forgotten.

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 July 2018 - 07:29 PM)

Bah, wonko, I remember when 4 was STANDARD

@  Paladin : (14 July 2018 - 04:10 PM)

https://twitter.com/NickRoche/status/1018234094310879234 people suck...

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 01:10 PM)

Me: opening a box of pop tarts. "Oh my god! There's FOUR in here?!?! Score!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 10:22 AM)

Well, some people are into shopping, anyway.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 10:22 AM)

Taiwanese Costco also has lots of things that shoppers would want!

@  unluckiness : (14 July 2018 - 10:18 AM)

The Taiwan Costco I visited once was nice but I have to question why our guide thought it'd be a good place to bring tourists.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:40 AM)

Lower prices, lower taxes, bigger selection... yeah, I can see that happening.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 09:14 AM)

Didn't a Washington Costco make the news a couple years ago for being sheerly flooded with customers from British Columbia?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 July 2018 - 01:25 AM)

That's cool. There's a Sam's Club in Niagara Falls, where I tend to cross the border, but I've never been in. I'm a Costco member, but not Sam's Club; and unfortunately Costco makes sure there aren't any locations in the US too near the Canadian border

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 07:02 PM)

Nope, not the battle damaged version. He got it from his cousin, whose family has a camping ground in... I wanna say new york state, but I'm probably wrong. Just across the border anyway.

@  Nevermore : (13 July 2018 - 06:36 PM)

Sam's Club exclusive was the battle damaged version, right?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 July 2018 - 06:34 PM)

He's got friends on the other side.

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 July 2018 - 06:08 PM)

where'd your nephew get a US retailer exclusive

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 04:39 PM)

Alright, I managed to identify him. The 2007 voyager class that was apparently exclusive to sam's club.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 04:20 PM)

Well, that was a nice surprise. Me nephew (the 10 year old.) just gave me an optimus prime that's minorly older than he is.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 10:25 AM)

Nah, even better. He'll be a memory of the mission briefing. Just a voice over. Four different figures in the toyline, but not actually in the movie.

@  unluckiness : (13 July 2018 - 10:06 AM)

I am 110% sure that Optimus will show up, even as a transmission or something. At least maybe we can get a cybertronian form this time.

@  Pennpenn : (13 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

At least one Optimus sodding Prime.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 06:57 AM)

Same way as always: completely unrelated figures and models that weren't even in the movie.

@  unluckiness : (12 July 2018 - 11:47 PM)

I think that's a given, though, given the small number of transformers in Bee Movie, I wonder how they'll fill the toyline

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 July 2018 - 02:07 PM)

Yeah. I'm hoping with the new film, we might get something closer to the deluxe range

@  NotVeryKnightly : (12 July 2018 - 01:20 PM)

Isn't the Masterpiece the only recent VW G1-looking Bee?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 July 2018 - 11:02 AM)

Especially when they are questioned directly and respond by dodging the question.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 July 2018 - 11:01 AM)

Watching hypocrites parade their high ground is equally amusing and cringeworthy.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Kaiju Thread - From Godzilla to the Pacific Rim

Godzilla Kaiju Toho Pacific Rim Jaeger

1652 replies to this topic

#1 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20312 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

My first batch of Godzilla movies were taped from this marathon. Good memories.

Haha, they labeled Gabara as Baragon.

Anyway, the real reason for recreating this thread actually picks up off non-Godzilla stuff. As I mentioned in the last thread, I picked up the original Ultraman series solely because I knew they reused the Godzilla suits in a few episodes. Needless to say, I had a blast.

I've now acquired the complete Ultra Q (the series that preceeded Ultraman but was more Kaiju and less Sentai focused) and unfortunately, the copies I got are raw in Japanese. Anybody know where I might be able to find a subtitle copy of the series?

I'd also like to track down Ultraseven too. >>

Edited by Master Fwiffo, 09 October 2014 - 01:57 PM.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#2 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

I'm not sure the original Ultra Q has ever been fully subtitled. I think someone made some subbed VHS or DVDs a few years back distributed during a convention, but not the whole series, and not uploaded online.

Ultraseven was apparently subbed by a group called Hi no Tori.

#3 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:15 AM

look on the first post in the toku thread for all the subbed Ultra stuff

#4 Starsteam

Starsteam

Rowsdower

• Citizen
  • 1321 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:28 AM

Has anyone gotten a copy of the new Destroy All Monsters DVD/BD? I'd like to hear some thoughts on it overall.

#5 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Now where did I leave that darn key!

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(Starsteam @ Nov 8 2011, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone gotten a copy of the new Destroy All Monsters DVD/BD? I'd like to hear some thoughts on it overall.

A gazillion times better than the previous ADV Films release. I've only watched the default dub on the bluray so far though. Colors don't seem as vibrant as they should be in some scenes, but that's the only nitpick I can find so far, and its probably something you can fix by tweaking your tv color settings anyway. I hadn't watched this in a long while because the ADV flaws look even worse on a HDTV, so I had forgotten that there are actually more kaiju scenes than I remembered. Definitely recommended based on the default dub and just the movie alone. I'm looking forward to sampling the other audio tracks, commentary, and extras.

#6 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(Starsteam @ Nov 8 2011, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HMV stores in Canada aren't carrying either of the new Destroy All Monsters or Godzilla Vs Megalon DVD/BRDs. icon-megs.gif But we did get the latest Gamera BRD releases.

In other news, CBR has some preview pages from Godzilla Legends #1: Anguirus.

#7 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

These are rather nice, though maybe too expensive for most people's tastes.

#8 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(Shanghai @ Nov 11 2011, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get a "Monsterland Godzilla from GvGigan" vibe from that super deformed G.

#9 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

Same here, and I love Mechagodzilla's Jet Jaguar styled grin.

#10 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

Just finished watching the Destroy All Monsters blu-ray with the commentary. The commentary is very informative without any pauses. I never noticed that the original Ultraman, Hayata, was one of the brainwashed scientists in the background on Monster Island!

On my second watch I was able to soak in the extra detail even more. Details in the miniatures, suits, matte paintings and the like. Any tiny scene with Varan, Baragon, Manda where they weren't much more than background blurr I can at least see some detail now. I understand that the one group scene with the three of them in the background on the right is actually a cardboard cutout painting.

The default English dub is not the original AIP version, which the commentary says is superior. I'm in the process of listening to the AIP now, and although it's not quite as clean as the default track, the dubbing is definitely much better and what's being spoken better matches what's going on. The first few minutes definitely have some warbling going on like there's a helicopter in the room. Fortunately Clubtokyo.org is saying that audio problem is confined to that first few minutes, and that if you watch it in English, you should watch the AIP dub. I'll post here if I notice the helicopter show up again, but so far so good.

And there's more! There's two Japanese audio tracks, one of which is in 5.1! So I'll be watching this yet again in such a short time! I can't recommend this blu-ray enough.

#11 Star-A-Star

Star-A-Star

To me, Meowlnir!

• Citizen
  • 6235 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

Man, I'm watching Gamera 3 for the first time in probably 10 years and I'd forgotten how intense the battle in Shibuya is. I can't remember another kaiju movie that has dealt with the "collateral" damage of a giant monster battle like Gamera 3. That's the one thing that's always bugged me about the Godzilla movies - with but a few exceptions, the places Godzilla and others destroy are treated as if they've been fully evacuated and civilian casualties are almost non-existent. In Gamera 3 the human toll is very real and they don't shy away from showing it either, and the casualties are as much from the actions of Gamera as the actions of Gyaos, effectively making the point that this Gamera doesn't so much care about humanity as he does about destroying his natural enemy. I've got to point out too that the special effects are probably the best I've ever seen in a kaiju movie which only adds to the intensity of the battles.
Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#12 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20312 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE(Fullstrength Motleypuss @ Nov 11 2011, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man, I'm watching Gamera 3 for the first time in probably 10 years and I'd forgotten how intense the battle in Shibuya is. I can't remember another kaiju movie that has dealt with the "collateral" damage of a giant monster battle like Gamera 3. That's the one thing that's always bugged me about the Godzilla movies - with but a few exceptions, the places Godzilla and others destroy are treated as if they've been fully evacuated and civilian casualties are almost non-existent. In Gamera 3 the human toll is very real and they don't shy away from showing it either, and the casualties are as much from the actions of Gamera as the actions of Gyaos, effectively making the point that this Gamera doesn't so much care about humanity as he does about destroying his natural enemy. I've got to point out too that the special effects are probably the best I've ever seen in a kaiju movie which only adds to the intensity of the battles.

The Shibuya battle and the ariel fight in that movie are absolutely fantastic. It's too bad the final battle is just a rather dull shoving match.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#13 Star-A-Star

Star-A-Star

To me, Meowlnir!

• Citizen
  • 6235 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Nov 11 2011, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fullstrength Motleypuss @ Nov 11 2011, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Shibuya battle and the ariel fight in that movie are absolutely fantastic. It's too bad the final battle is just a rather dull shoving match.

No kidding. I have a feeling they blew most of the budget on Shibuya and the CGI for Iris and it cost us a more impressive final battle.
Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#14 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

I finished watching the DAM blu-ray with the AIP dub, and the "helicopter" is confined to the first few minutes. The rest of the dub isn't as clean as the default english dub, there's some slight hiss and popping here and there, but it's definitely the better dub despite that. I understand now why the G fans who were aware of it were so adamant about it being included.

I sampled the Japanese 5.1 and it's ok considering it was never in 5.1 in the first place. Also watched the photo extras which was pretty cool. A nice slideshow of behind the scene stills and promotional material. I was suprised to see Varan and Baragon show up as often as I did in the pics. Is the "8mm" extra the source of the AIP dub? Not sure why it was included.

You know what would have made the final battle with Ghidorah better? If Ghidorah had managed to kill one(or more) of the lesser kaiju. The Varan and Baragon suits were barely holding together anyway, so death by electrical explosion would have been a cool way to finally retire them. icon-hotrod.gif

#15 Starsteam

Starsteam

Rowsdower

• Citizen
  • 1321 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

Finally got my copies of DAM DVD and CD, and the Gamera Bluray Trilogy. Now then, for the DAM DVD, which audio should I listen with? I'm planning on watching the original Japanese since that what the picture appears to be from. I don't normally watch more than one language unless the film has some difference in it (such as the classic media DVDs) but when it's the same picture with the different dubs (Shouts Gamera DVDs) then I just watch one.

After I get the Criterion Gojira bluray, I plan to re-buy DAM and Megalon on Bluray. I just wanted to finish my DVD collection first.

#16 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE(Alpha Omega Trion Supreme @ Nov 12 2011, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know what would have made the final battle with Ghidorah better? If Ghidorah had managed to kill one(or more) of the lesser kaiju. The Varan and Baragon suits were barely holding together anyway, so death by electrical explosion would have been a cool way to finally retire them. icon-hotrod.gif

Well, Baragon's suit was totally refurbished by the end of filming (as you can see in the final scene), so would have been a bit of a waste.

That said, one of the nice things about the Showa movies was the fact that they avoided killing off the monsters compared to the Gamera movies, or the Heisei and Millennium movies.

#17 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ Nov 13 2011, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Shanghai @ Nov 13 2011, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Alpha Omega Trion Supreme @ Nov 12 2011, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Baragon's suit was totally refurbished by the end of filming (as you can see in the final scene), so would have been a bit of a waste.

That said, one of the nice things about the Showa movies was the fact that they avoided killing off the monsters compared to the Gamera movies, or the Heisei and Millennium movies.

Or they killed them but brought them back anyway.

Baragon and Anguirus getting their necks snapped, but I think Gorosaurus got the worst in his first appearance (Jaw snapped off).

In the scheme of things, those were all rather minor injuries (well, minus the fact that Anguirus was set on fire, but hey, he then fell right into the water).

Hand-waved away easily enough if you just say that every kaiju has massive regenerative abilities.

#18 Shanghai

Shanghai
  • Citizen
  • 16178 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

I enjoy Terror of Mechagodzilla a lot more, but yeah, DAM works pretty well as a proper finale.

Though it often makes you wonder if Earth was relative peace from 1975 to 1999, or if there were all sorts of wacky adventures.

Shame Toho isn't likely to do some retro throwback series like that.

#19 Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

• Citizen
  • 4366 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

Atragon Revoltech.

http://www.bigbadtoy...amp;mode=retail

I wonder if a Manda accessory might be included?

#20 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 20312 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

Oh god suddenly I want a Final Wars one SO BAD.

ty3jHaa.jpg

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godzilla, Kaiju, Toho, Pacific Rim, Jaeger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users