Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 03:10 PM)

what would Canada do with Yogi?

@  Cyoti : (01 July 2020 - 12:51 PM)

We can deport Yogi back to Canada now.

@  Sabrblade : (01 July 2020 - 12:50 PM)

Jellystone National Pawk. A westful wetweat.

@  Rycochet : (01 July 2020 - 12:47 PM)

Jellystone. We're going to be plunged into a decade of poor animation. Fortunately we've been led by bad cartoon characters for years so we won't notice much difference.

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 July 2020 - 06:19 AM)

what next? YELLOWSTONE?

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Apple Corps: Discussion of Macs, iOS, iPhones, iPads, iEverything....

1803 replies to this topic

#1781 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4911 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:19 PM

You just need to keep an eye on the refurb section at Apple.  The stock will fluctuate, but it doesn’t look like any lower cost models are available AT THE MOMENT.

In general, Apple laptops are well regarded for their reliability and longevity.  Even buying an older MacBook model is probably going to serve you fine.  Even the last generation of Air is perfectly serviceable if you can tolerate the lower res screen (and the keyboard is held in much better regard than the current model).  Best Buy has the prior gen Air for $800

Otherwise, the usual caveats apply: watch your models for sales, wait for holiday sales and don’t be afraid to jump on a good deal.  I saw the newest MacBook Air hit $850 over the holidays, and the prior gen Air I think hit $650 at one point.  The bad part is that the major holidays are over so sales and deals are apt to be few and far between until the fall when stores start to clear out older inventory with updated systems.

#1782 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34891 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:02 AM

Does a 2015 model that has never been turned on last as long as a 2020 model that has never been turned on or do parts degrade anyway?  I'm trying to decide whether people pay $400 more for the new one because they want max specs or because the computer is actually better even if the old specs are fine.

#1783 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

Don't buy a 5 year old computer.  It's not that it has physically degraded, but while it may have enough processing power and memory now, it won't for nearly as long as a 2020 refreshed model.  The $400 you save now won't be offset in the long term when you need to replace it 5 years sooner.

#1784 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34891 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

I wound up getting a 2018 for $800.

#1785 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4795 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

So I've been trying to keep my iPad's battery from losing maximum charge any faster than it has to. And when I ended up with my grandpa's old laptop and discovered that it was still able to hold a charge for hours due to having stayed plugged in almost all its life, I thought maybe that was the key. So I made a point of not unplugging it except when I actually need to take it somewhere. But this week I saw a video about home-built electric cars where the guy said the secret to keeping lithium batteries happy is not to leave them hooked up to power when they're already topped off. I've also heard that they like to be "cycled" periodically, as in discharged almost to empty and then recharged again.

What should I be doing? Does anyone actually know, or is this one of those things where science genuinely hasn't reached a consensus?

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#1786 JRSBill

JRSBill

Bow Ties are Cool

• Supporter
  • 1361 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

I never the batteries get below 30-35 percent and charge them full. My XR I handed down to my wife is still 100% battery life and it’s 16 months old. My 11 that is 4 months old is still at 107% when checking the battery with coconut battery. 

My 2017 10.5 iPad Pro bought on release day is still 96% original capacity. 

Never completely drain them as that is what kills the cells. After charging to full, don’t keep them plugged in for days. I never let my Mid 2012 MBP bought brand new in August 2012 get below 25% and it’s battery is still at 93% of original capacity. 

What I’ve done for years works and never had battery issues. 

Edited by JRSBill, 12 February 2020 - 10:37 PM.

#1787 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14628 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

Work owes me a new iPad Pro. C'mon rumored Spring event!

Yep.

#1788 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4795 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:41 PM

coconut battery

This ended up being the most useful part of the post, because while the app itself is only available on MacOS, their website provides some useful advice: Stay as close to the middle of the percentage range as possible. Which seems obvious in hindsight; batteries are already designed to top off at 85% and shut off at 15 because going beyond that range is bad for them, so maintaining an even narrower range should ensure an even longer life.

And as I'm one of the few people who can manage that, I'll be making that my standard policy from now on.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#1789 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1740 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:32 AM

I'm finally upgrading my 1st Gen iPad Mini!

I've got a lot of "notes" on there that I'd like to save. I don't plan on syncing the new Ipad Mini to the same computer that I currently sync to, so there's no way to "back up and restore" the existing ipad to the new Mini.

Turning on iCloud seems to indicate that those notes have to be stored in iCloud permanently.

Is there no way to transfer using iCloud and then save locally?

~Marduk

#1790 JRSBill

JRSBill

Bow Ties are Cool

• Supporter
  • 1361 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:05 AM

First, why don't you want to sync your prior account to the new iPad? Did you lose the Apple account or want to have the new device have a new Apple account?

If you are going to use the same Apple account, you can uncheck all the boxes under iCloud you don't want to transfer over and just check the ones you want.

As for saving notes locally, without syncing via a computer or iCloud, no.

Edited by JRSBill, 08 April 2020 - 10:06 AM.

#1791 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1740 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:21 PM

I plan on using the same Apple account. I'm just syncing to a different computer.

Current Gen 1 ipad Mini syncs to the Mac Mini. I want to sync the new iPad Mini to the Macbook Air (when it gets here). So I don't think I can transfer my existing data over to the new Ipad Mini.

Does that make sense? 

~Marduk

#1792 JRSBill

JRSBill

Bow Ties are Cool

• Supporter
  • 1361 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:46 PM

It makes sense, yet your over thinking it. When you get your new device, backup your current iPad mini. After its backed up, then sync the settings to your new iPad mini. After the settings have been restored to the new device, you just sync it to the MacBook Air in the future. As simple as that. It doesn't make the new device be tethered to the Mac Mini indefinitely. Its just a one time thing.

#1793 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4778 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 25 April 2020 - 06:50 PM

I picked up the new 2020 MacBook Air because my old ThinkPad netbook was just way too hard to use for remote work. Its good to have a Mac again. Also, love using my iPad Pro as a second monitor.
Signatures are overrated.

#1794 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4911 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 01:57 PM

New WWDC event today.  Biggest news is the confirmation of Macs moving to "Apple Silicon".  Transition will take about two years...which miffs me as I'm eye balling a change in my setup.  Frankly, I'd totally buy the Mac Mini dev kit as is with the A12Z, 16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD right now (depending on price).  Given how Apple has treated the desktop Mac segment and the mini in particular...I'm hoping they'll update that sooner rather than let the mini languish until the very end. 

#1795 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14628 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:36 PM

I'm interested to see their pricing going forward. Given the switch to their own chips you assume there's some cost saving, but the question is will the customer see it or not.

Their Fall 2020 presentation just got so much more important.

Yep.

#1796 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3233 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:40 PM

Apple needs to drop the studio audience. Keynote was so much more enjoyable without the self congratulating clapping every 35.421 seconds.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#1797 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34891 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:57 PM

I'm interested to see their pricing going forward. Given the switch to their own chips you assume there's some cost saving, but the question is will the customer see it or not.

Their Fall 2020 presentation just got so much more important.

They are already not priced competitively really.  I don't think they are switching so that they can drop prices.

#1798 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6375 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

Apple pass on cost savings to the consumer? Ha Ha it is to laugh!

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#1799 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4911 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:42 PM

At least with their own chips, you can mitigate the price per part comparisons that put Macs in a relatively poor light currently.  That said, given the omission of some of the more sensitive components (accelerometer, mini Retina displays, cameras, etc), I would hope stuff like the Mac Mini should end up cheaper.

#1800 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 486 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:35 AM

Does there internet streaming service have a Black Mirror knockoff? If not, how long until it does?

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users