Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2020 - 02:47 AM)

Fake news, no shinobi.

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Apple Corps: Discussion of Macs, iOS, iPhones, iPads, iEverything....

1803 replies to this topic

#1741 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 4852 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

Well, the iOS/iPadOS 13 public beta is out, and I have it. A warning for anyone who's interested: Mail is all kinds of hecked up at the moment; I can't view my inbox at all without filtering by unread, which makes it impossible to delete messages among other things. Tap-and-hold behavior for links in Safari is super-weird now—it brings up an entire preview thumbnail of the page being linked to, which I guess is handy for unlabeled YouTube links and going to be annoying for everything else. It also breaks press-and-hold for Firefox for now.

In other recent news, I discovered that Steam Link is finally out of beta, so I tried it out. For the uninitiated, it's an app that lets you connect to your computer and play your video games remotely over wi-fi using either a Steam Controller or any controller that already works with the mobile OS (so for iOS this would be anything with "Made for iPhone" branding). There's also an option to use "touch controls" which sounds horrible and which I have not tried. Anyway, there's a noticeable delay even when I'm in the same room as the computer and the router, which seems to get worse the more demanding on resources the game is, so it's likely caused by the video compression competing for GPU cycles with the game. I need to download some less demanding games and see how they fare, but it's likely going to be unusable for anything involving fast-paced action.

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

#1742 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:48 AM

Anyone watching today?  Everyone says it's going to be a lackluster iterative release, so much that I'm holding off replacing my 6S until next year, but I'm still interested to finally see the final products.

#1743 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:02 AM

Anyone watching today?  Everyone says it's going to be a lackluster iterative release, so much that I'm holding off replacing my 6S until next year, but I'm still interested to finally see the final products.

2020 is looking more and more like the year to buy an iPhone from all the analysts.

This year I'm actually very interested in Apple's new tracker technology. Tile was fine, but relied on a network that didn't exist. With Apple's low energy bluetooth beacons able to be picked up by any iDevice it's going to be a game changer I believe. 

Also interested to see how they justify their services. +? There's no back catalog that we know of, and I'm not paying monthly for five shows. ARCADE is much more interesting. Giving my son and I a catalog of no micro-transaction games that he can play on his iPad, iPhone and TV? Yes, please, as long as they're not more of the same mobile resource management bull-honkey.

Hardware-wise, I'm also interested finally getting an iPad Pro, but I'm assuming those are going to come at a later date.

Yep.

#1744 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4781 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

Hardware-wise, I'm also interested finally getting an iPad Pro, but I'm assuming those are going to come at a later date.

I can tell you that the 2018 iPad Pro is fantastic. Even if the 2019 version is just a spec bump, you'll be quite impressed.

Signatures are overrated.

#1745 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

Color me completely under-impressed. 

Yep.

#1746 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1746 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:19 PM

I guess I'm interested in the 11? My current phone definitely isn't making it until 2020, so I guess it's time for an upgrade.

New iPad sounds nice, but I'm still looking a the Mini. Love that form factor.

~Marduk

#1747 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

~Marduk

My dream machine would be an iPad Mini Pro.

Yep.

#1748 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

~Marduk

My dream machine would be an iPad Mini Pro.

Same here. Really, I don't care about having a "pro", I just want a mini that is sufficiently updated, which the current one is not. Apple basically stopped updating their regular iPads since introducing their Pro line.

#1749 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

Same here. Really, I don't care about having a "pro"

Nah, I want the whole USB-C, ProMotion, PENCIL 2 support, FaceID... the whole gamut.

I'd love to have the tiniest mobile Photoshop rig for when it comes out for iOS.

Yep.

#1750 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4976 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

I can tell you that the 2018 iPad Pro is fantastic. Even if the 2019 version is just a spec bump, you'll be quite impressed.

On that note, the 2018 Pros are starting to crop up in the Apple Refurbished store.  That's a solid indication from prior years that apple's starting to flush out "fall back" inventory and getting ready to refresh the model.  At $679, the base 11" Pro is only $5 higher than the sale price from Amazon or Best Buy (if they are on sale at all).  But Apple is still running their Education sale until the 25th which will at least save on the accessories and AppleCare cost.

#1751 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4976 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

I'm in a conundrum: do I spend on a refurbished 10.5" Pro (which costs the same and has all the core features plus extra RAM and better screen and sound than the CURRENT Air), or do I spend the extra $200 for a refurbished 11"?

I'm not HUGELY restricted on budget...but $679 is still a heavy chunk of change and that's before the accessories.  I could wait until the October event and hope a refreshed iPad helps kick the price down a hair, but that's not a guarantee (either the event or price reduction).  Am I really missing out on the features by not paying the extra cash?

#1752 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

I'm in a conundrum: do I spend on a refurbished 10.5" Pro (which costs the same and has all the core features plus extra RAM and better screen and sound than the CURRENT Air), or do I spend the extra $200 for a refurbished 11"?

I'm not HUGELY restricted on budget...but $679 is still a heavy chunk of change and that's before the accessories.  I could wait until the October event and hope a refreshed iPad helps kick the price down a hair, but that's not a guarantee (either the event or price reduction).  Am I really missing out on the features by not paying the extra cash?

Now-a-days, I don't buy unless it's a new product launch. It's the only way I feel I can get the maximum value from a product. Why?

I got burned buying PowerPC Cheesegrater about two and a half months before they announced the transition to Intel. The Apple machine that I had saved to invest in now had a dead-by date. Never again.

I feel like we could be getting close to another Intel to ARM transition that will put a lot of people in the same position.

Yep.

#1753 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4976 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

In this situation, I don't feel Apple's going to make any major changes to the iPad lineup in the next 3 years or so, so I think I'm fairly safe in getting a refurbished model at this stage. I'm just not keen on spending well over a grand for a new iPad in the next few weeks when a refurb 10.5 or 11 are MORE than adequate for what I'm looking to use it for.  And it would let me get stuff like the pencil and AppleCare WITHOUT pushing the price into the $1500 range for a tablet.

That said, I'd totally be up for replacing my aging iMac with a Mac Mini sporting a A12X processor or something similar....

Side note: I'm bemused that Walmart doesn't carry any iPad Pro models in store...but they only carry the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil. 

#1754 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1746 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:52 PM

I don't really have the luxury of waiting until Apple decides to switch to ARM, so I'm going to have to upgrade.

I'm still running a First Gen iPad Mini, so I'll be looking for the current model. I don't need super power, just enough for internet / movies / maybe art.

My Macbook is from 2009. So I'm thinking of a base Mac Mini or a base MBP to hold me over for the next few years. Gotta do something soon, I think.

~Marduk

#1755 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4976 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

I don't really have the luxury of waiting until Apple decides to switch to ARM, so I'm going to have to upgrade.

I'm still running a First Gen iPad Mini, so I'll be looking for the current model. I don't need super power, just enough for internet / movies / maybe art.

My Macbook is from 2009. So I'm thinking of a base Mac Mini or a base MBP to hold me over for the next few years. Gotta do something soon, I think.

~Marduk

TBH, the new 10.1 iPad would probably fit all of that.  Solid size, supports gen1 pencil and now smart keyboard.  Retail for 32GB model is $329.  However, if you need more space, the older iPad 10.5 features an improved version of the same A10 in the base iPad, plus more storage and better bells and whistles for about $50 more than than the new base iPad with 128GB of storage.

#1756 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5674 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:54 AM

That 32GB capacity is as insulting as a kick in the balls.  I can get 32GB in a $5 USB stick.  On a tablet in 2019, it's totally unacceptable and makes the thing practically unusable.  It's not a "starting price" if that price point delivers a crippled device.  Apple knows this and it's an intentional and cynical ploy to trick people into thinking the iPad is cheaper than it actually is in practice.

#1757 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4781 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

Having native swipe typing on an iPhone is a thing of beauty. As is dark mode.

Also glad the watch finally has a calculator without requiring a 3rd party app. It would be nice if the iPad would get one too...

Signatures are overrated.

#1758 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 4852 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:28 PM

Has anyone else noticed that the keyboard shifts back to light mode when you're using an app that doesn't have native dark mode support, or is it just a thing that happens with Firefox?

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

#1759 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4976 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

I'm just going to wait until 13.1 rolls out next week.  Make sure any major bugs are taken care of.

#1760 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21527 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:36 AM

This new swipe type function is amazing.

ty3jHaa.jpg

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users