Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Apple Corps: Discussion of Macs, iOS, iPhones, iPads, iEverything....

1776 replies to this topic

#1741 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4382 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

Well, the iOS/iPadOS 13 public beta is out, and I have it. A warning for anyone who's interested: Mail is all kinds of hecked up at the moment; I can't view my inbox at all without filtering by unread, which makes it impossible to delete messages among other things. Tap-and-hold behavior for links in Safari is super-weird now—it brings up an entire preview thumbnail of the page being linked to, which I guess is handy for unlabeled YouTube links and going to be annoying for everything else. It also breaks press-and-hold for Firefox for now.

In other recent news, I discovered that Steam Link is finally out of beta, so I tried it out. For the uninitiated, it's an app that lets you connect to your computer and play your video games remotely over wi-fi using either a Steam Controller or any controller that already works with the mobile OS (so for iOS this would be anything with "Made for iPhone" branding). There's also an option to use "touch controls" which sounds horrible and which I have not tried. Anyway, there's a noticeable delay even when I'm in the same room as the computer and the router, which seems to get worse the more demanding on resources the game is, so it's likely caused by the video compression competing for GPU cycles with the game. I need to download some less demanding games and see how they fare, but it's likely going to be unusable for anything involving fast-paced action.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#1742 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5404 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:48 AM

Anyone watching today?  Everyone says it's going to be a lackluster iterative release, so much that I'm holding off replacing my 6S until next year, but I'm still interested to finally see the final products.

#1743 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:02 AM

Anyone watching today?  Everyone says it's going to be a lackluster iterative release, so much that I'm holding off replacing my 6S until next year, but I'm still interested to finally see the final products.

2020 is looking more and more like the year to buy an iPhone from all the analysts.

This year I'm actually very interested in Apple's new tracker technology. Tile was fine, but relied on a network that didn't exist. With Apple's low energy bluetooth beacons able to be picked up by any iDevice it's going to be a game changer I believe. 

Also interested to see how they justify their services. +? There's no back catalog that we know of, and I'm not paying monthly for five shows. ARCADE is much more interesting. Giving my son and I a catalog of no micro-transaction games that he can play on his iPad, iPhone and TV? Yes, please, as long as they're not more of the same mobile resource management bull-honkey.

Hardware-wise, I'm also interested finally getting an iPad Pro, but I'm assuming those are going to come at a later date.

Yep.

#1744 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4767 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:52 AM

Hardware-wise, I'm also interested finally getting an iPad Pro, but I'm assuming those are going to come at a later date.

I can tell you that the 2018 iPad Pro is fantastic. Even if the 2019 version is just a spec bump, you'll be quite impressed.

Signatures are overrated.

#1745 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

Color me completely under-impressed. 

Yep.

#1746 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1668 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:19 PM

I guess I'm interested in the 11? My current phone definitely isn't making it until 2020, so I guess it's time for an upgrade.

New iPad sounds nice, but I'm still looking a the Mini. Love that form factor.

~Marduk

#1747 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:23 AM

~Marduk

My dream machine would be an iPad Mini Pro.

Yep.

#1748 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5404 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

~Marduk

My dream machine would be an iPad Mini Pro.

Same here. Really, I don't care about having a "pro", I just want a mini that is sufficiently updated, which the current one is not. Apple basically stopped updating their regular iPads since introducing their Pro line.

#1749 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

Same here. Really, I don't care about having a "pro"

Nah, I want the whole USB-C, ProMotion, PENCIL 2 support, FaceID... the whole gamut.

I'd love to have the tiniest mobile Photoshop rig for when it comes out for iOS.

Yep.

#1750 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

I can tell you that the 2018 iPad Pro is fantastic. Even if the 2019 version is just a spec bump, you'll be quite impressed.

On that note, the 2018 Pros are starting to crop up in the Apple Refurbished store.  That's a solid indication from prior years that apple's starting to flush out "fall back" inventory and getting ready to refresh the model.  At $679, the base 11" Pro is only $5 higher than the sale price from Amazon or Best Buy (if they are on sale at all).  But Apple is still running their Education sale until the 25th which will at least save on the accessories and AppleCare cost.

#1751 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

I'm in a conundrum: do I spend on a refurbished 10.5" Pro (which costs the same and has all the core features plus extra RAM and better screen and sound than the CURRENT Air), or do I spend the extra $200 for a refurbished 11"?

I'm not HUGELY restricted on budget...but $679 is still a heavy chunk of change and that's before the accessories.  I could wait until the October event and hope a refreshed iPad helps kick the price down a hair, but that's not a guarantee (either the event or price reduction).  Am I really missing out on the features by not paying the extra cash?

#1752 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14608 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

I'm in a conundrum: do I spend on a refurbished 10.5" Pro (which costs the same and has all the core features plus extra RAM and better screen and sound than the CURRENT Air), or do I spend the extra $200 for a refurbished 11"?

I'm not HUGELY restricted on budget...but $679 is still a heavy chunk of change and that's before the accessories.  I could wait until the October event and hope a refreshed iPad helps kick the price down a hair, but that's not a guarantee (either the event or price reduction).  Am I really missing out on the features by not paying the extra cash?

Now-a-days, I don't buy unless it's a new product launch. It's the only way I feel I can get the maximum value from a product. Why?

I got burned buying PowerPC Cheesegrater about two and a half months before they announced the transition to Intel. The Apple machine that I had saved to invest in now had a dead-by date. Never again.

I feel like we could be getting close to another Intel to ARM transition that will put a lot of people in the same position.

Yep.

#1753 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

In this situation, I don't feel Apple's going to make any major changes to the iPad lineup in the next 3 years or so, so I think I'm fairly safe in getting a refurbished model at this stage. I'm just not keen on spending well over a grand for a new iPad in the next few weeks when a refurb 10.5 or 11 are MORE than adequate for what I'm looking to use it for.  And it would let me get stuff like the pencil and AppleCare WITHOUT pushing the price into the $1500 range for a tablet.

That said, I'd totally be up for replacing my aging iMac with a Mac Mini sporting a A12X processor or something similar....

Side note: I'm bemused that Walmart doesn't carry any iPad Pro models in store...but they only carry the 2nd Gen Apple Pencil. 

#1754 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1668 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:52 PM

I don't really have the luxury of waiting until Apple decides to switch to ARM, so I'm going to have to upgrade.

I'm still running a First Gen iPad Mini, so I'll be looking for the current model. I don't need super power, just enough for internet / movies / maybe art.

My Macbook is from 2009. So I'm thinking of a base Mac Mini or a base MBP to hold me over for the next few years. Gotta do something soon, I think.

~Marduk

#1755 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

I don't really have the luxury of waiting until Apple decides to switch to ARM, so I'm going to have to upgrade.

I'm still running a First Gen iPad Mini, so I'll be looking for the current model. I don't need super power, just enough for internet / movies / maybe art.

My Macbook is from 2009. So I'm thinking of a base Mac Mini or a base MBP to hold me over for the next few years. Gotta do something soon, I think.

~Marduk

TBH, the new 10.1 iPad would probably fit all of that.  Solid size, supports gen1 pencil and now smart keyboard.  Retail for 32GB model is $329.  However, if you need more space, the older iPad 10.5 features an improved version of the same A10 in the base iPad, plus more storage and better bells and whistles for about $50 more than than the new base iPad with 128GB of storage.

#1756 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5404 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:54 AM

That 32GB capacity is as insulting as a kick in the balls.  I can get 32GB in a $5 USB stick.  On a tablet in 2019, it's totally unacceptable and makes the thing practically unusable.  It's not a "starting price" if that price point delivers a crippled device.  Apple knows this and it's an intentional and cynical ploy to trick people into thinking the iPad is cheaper than it actually is in practice.

#1757 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4767 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

Having native swipe typing on an iPhone is a thing of beauty. As is dark mode.

Also glad the watch finally has a calculator without requiring a 3rd party app. It would be nice if the iPad would get one too...

Signatures are overrated.

#1758 Pocket

Pocket

Hraeth ela mi!

• Citizen
  • 4382 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:28 PM

Has anyone else noticed that the keyboard shifts back to light mode when you're using an app that doesn't have native dark mode support, or is it just a thing that happens with Firefox?

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#1759 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

I'm just going to wait until 13.1 rolls out next week.  Make sure any major bugs are taken care of.

#1760 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21175 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:36 AM

This new swipe type function is amazing.

ty3jHaa.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users