Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 03:50 PM)

That's not what I had in mind but if that is what you would do in that scenario then that is pretty messed up. I would not want to be stuck in a perpetual loop of death. More like getting laid but that is just me.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 01:58 PM)

Happy death day to you!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 01:45 PM)

.... I would love that. To be stuck in an endless loop where no one remembers what happened... The possibilities :D

@  ZakuConvoy : (23 April 2019 - 01:43 PM)

Are you stuck in a Groundhogs Day situation? Because if you are, you need to tell the rest of us so we can take advantage, too.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 11:10 AM)

Lol today needs to end asap so that I can start over tomorrow

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Apple Corps: Discussion of Macs, iOS, iPhones, iPads, iEverything....

1738 replies to this topic

#1721 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4989 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:12 PM

Wouldn't you get more bang for your buck by investing in Windows machines instead?  I don't see how Macs would be superior for writing or even film editing.

#1722 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1514 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 29 October 2018 - 01:57 PM

This is going to be Apple's make it or break it event for me.  It's no secret my stuff is old and falling apart, so I'll be looking at what Apple has to offer when I upgrade next year.  Computer wise, I'm not looking for super powerful (I'm running a 2009 MBP, so, yeah).  Just enough to handle photos, media, and the internet. That isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.

I'd like to see a new Mac Mini.  Since "user upgrades" are not a thing that Apple likes anymore, I'd like to see the base model / mid-range be both inexpensive and not something I immediately feel like I've got to max out the ram/SSD for.

I'd like to see a cheaper 13" Macbook.  Macbook Pro's are just too darned expensive for what I need, and the current 12" too small.  So, an Air replacement would be good.

I'd love to see a new iPad mini to replace my first gen.  The 2018 ipad looks nice, but I really like the iPad Mini's form factor.  Really, this would be my most "wish" from tomorrow's event.  If I have to go back to Windows, I can make it work, but I do love my iPad mini.

~Marduk

#1723 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4397 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 29 October 2018 - 05:00 PM

Wouldn't you get more bang for your buck by investing in Windows machines instead?  I don't see how Macs would be superior for writing or even film editing.

They could, but Apple provides a singular source for hardware support and a wealth of software (that doesn't require thousands of dollars in licenses or yearly subscriptions).  I won't deny Apple stuff is more expensive than a comparable Windows device...but the eco system is superior compared to the hybrid Windows/Android that the low end occupies.

Further, Apple's long term support is better than Windows.  A device from 2012 is still compatible with the current OS.  Most Mac devices get anywhere from 5-7 years of valid support, you just don't know with Windows if the next weekly update will break something.

Windows 10 is the best Windows I've handled since XP...but it is FAR from as user friendly as a given Mac.

#1724 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4397 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

New iPad Pros are quite impressive.  If accurate, they have graphics capabilities on par with an Xbox One X, supposedly.  Look pretty solid, and the price to justify that. USB-C means it will finally work with about everything, so I think that is a boon to everyone.

Macbook Air is a significant update, but not nearly as cheap as rumored.  It is also all in on USB-C, but they are full featured Thunderbolt ports.  Reportedly better sound.  Specs aren't as impressive as I had hoped.  And given the age of the existing Air, anything is an update.

Mac mini....left me a bit cold.  The design and port selection are pretty solid.  But at that cost increase...I'm not sure it really justifies that, even by Apple standards.  I'm sure the Core i3 quad is a perfectly serviceable desktop processor...but it also means we're stuck with the paltry Intel GPU, which itself hasn't seen much of an update in almost 3 years.  Again, I was really hoping that with Apple's preference for AMD graphics cards, we might have gotten a modest Ryzen system in the $600 range.  Barring the return of user upgradable components (HA!), the usual "Apple premium" on increased RAM and storage are REALLY hard to justify.  By the time you get to just 16GB of RAM and more than 128 GB of storage...you're easily trending into iMac territory, where (right now) you at LEAST get a decent graphics chipset.

Guess mine will have to putter along for a while yet.  But I'm REALLY interested in a new iPad Pro to replace my aging Mini...

#1725 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14560 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 30 October 2018 - 03:25 PM

New iPad Pros are quite impressive.  If accurate, they have graphics capabilities on par with an Xbox One X, supposedly.  Look pretty solid, and the price to justify that. USB-C means it will finally work with about everything, so I think that is a boon to everyone.

Macbook Air is a significant update, but not nearly as cheap as rumored.  It is also all in on USB-C, but they are full featured Thunderbolt ports.  Reportedly better sound.  Specs aren't as impressive as I had hoped.  And given the age of the existing Air, anything is an update.

Mac mini....left me a bit cold.  The design and port selection are pretty solid.  But at that cost increase...I'm not sure it really justifies that, even by Apple standards.  I'm sure the Core i3 quad is a perfectly serviceable desktop processor...but it also means we're stuck with the paltry Intel GPU, which itself hasn't seen much of an update in almost 3 years.  Again, I was really hoping that with Apple's preference for AMD graphics cards, we might have gotten a modest Ryzen system in the $600 range.  Barring the return of user upgradable components (HA!), the usual "Apple premium" on increased RAM and storage are REALLY hard to justify.  By the time you get to just 16GB of RAM and more than 128 GB of storage...you're easily trending into iMac territory, where (right now) you at LEAST get a decent graphics chipset.

Guess mine will have to putter along for a while yet.  But I'm REALLY interested in a new iPad Pro to replace my aging Mini...

Already bought my wife the new MacBook Air (Gold) 512, for our Anniversary/Christmas. Her current laptop is a hand-me-down 2009 Pro and was in dire need of updating since it's in the "no more official updates" range.

Once Photoshop is officially released I'll buy an iPad Pro. Started saving today. That beast is exactly what I need for work travel and weekend getaway,. Enough that I could do my work, but hopefully not enough that people will expect me to do a lot with it. As a WACOM user the new Pencil fixes the only complaints I had with the accessory (charging, storage, no modifier button) and I can't wait to ditch this 10 year old work hardware for real Photoshop on an screaming  product. All this said, in the meantime if they update the iPad Mini to a pro configuration, I'll have to take a serious look at that.

I feel like you've never had to edit a lot of video before. In 2005 we were hired to shoot a region commercial for Express Tax, but relatively the cheap. The budget included a custom built PC to edit the (then brand new) HD footage. The PC could barely scrub through the video and internet searches told us that we had run into some rare driver issue that didn't have a fix. We were in straight up panic mode. My boss drove to the  Store (keep in mind this is before the iPhone) and bough a new, base Mac Mini off the shelf. We brought it back to office and were laughed at by the Head of our Department because of how comically small compared to the machine we had spend $$$ building, but when we plugged it in and everything "just worked" it was Nirvana.

Because  uses specific, limited parts in their computers, it's much easier for them to make sure that the software and drivers are 100% compatible, meaning a streamlined workflow without crazy driver installation and bundled update processes like I just had to go through to get our Windows run DCP (Digital Cinema Package) Render machine online a couple weeks ago (the software is only available on PC). Windows 10 does fix a lot of problems, but it also added so much bloat to both the UI and system structure trying to integrate OneDrive. Teachers want something the kids will be able to use without much fuss and that just works, and it's the reason why  had such a foothold in education for so long. No one wants a machine that could just not start-up after an Windows Update (happened to me). It looks like those are going to be some Mac Minis with decently built out specs for editing stations (using already purchased KVMs) and a classroom set of iPads for the writing, blogging and rough edits the students have to do, as well as doubling as a 4K camera for kids without the ability to buy hardware of their own.

Edit: Sorry for all the  logos. I've got a keyboard replacement set up so anytime I type Apple it automatically changes it to .

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 30 October 2018 - 03:26 PM.

Yep.

#1726 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1514 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

Well, I guess there's no new iPad Mini coming.  I guess that means I'll replace mine with the 2018 regular ipad.  The "Pro" is a good piece of technology, but I'm not paying that much for an iPad. The regular 2018 will still be a massive upgrade over my first gen mini.

The Mac Mini's are nice, but I dunno.  I'm really torn between "small form factor & bad back" and "for the same $$$ you could get a PC that runs games." 

The Air was cool up until the price increase.  For that kind of money, aren't you just better off with a Macbook Pro? I was really hoping it'd hit the $999 mark (or cheaper as some had speculated). 

I really like Photos, Image Capture, Apple Trackpads and the way Macs handle fonts.  I don't know if I like them that much, though.

~Marduk

#1727 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14560 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 01:21 PM

Apple's 03/25/19 Services Event

 News+

 Card

 Arcade

 TV+

...and that sweet-ass Saul Bass-inspired intro.

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 25 March 2019 - 02:06 PM.

Yep.

#1728 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4713 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

Waiting for the price on the Arcade. News+ is tempting since I just picked up an 11" iPad Pro on Saturday.

Signatures are overrated.

#1729 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14560 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:58 PM

Waiting for the price on the Arcade. News+ is tempting since I just picked up an 11" iPad Pro on Saturday.

I already pay $4.99 for two of my wife's digital magazines, so the $9.99 price is a no brainer for our family, but I'm really hoping we get an all encompassing service bundle with a discount in the Fall.

Yep.

#1730 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4989 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:13 PM

I'm disappointed the new Airpods aren't more of an upgrade. It wasn't really worth waiting a year for them, but oh well, I need them for my watch. I'll finally join the wireless community on Wednesday.

#1731 Pocket

Pocket
  • Citizen
  • 4192 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:46 PM

Welp. This past few months, we've added another iPad and another iPhone to the household, and after seeing what it's like when all four of them try to download a major OS update at the same exact time, I am now realizing that there's one big feature missing from iOS. Windows has a thing called Delivery Optimization, where you can allow one computer to download an update and then transmit it to other computers on the local network to save on bandwidth. For all Apple's emphasis on "ecosystem", I'm kind of surprised they haven't offered something like this.

If you ever somehow become a Catholic saint, be aware that they will harvest your bones and build altars around them.

#1732 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4397 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:49 PM

They do, it's called plugging into a Mac :p

#1733 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1514 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:38 PM

I'm thinking of picking up a 3.0 6-core, 8GB, 256 SSD Mac Mini sometime in the next few months. I'd like to stick with the base model, with no upgrades.

Use case would be internet, music, media, and photo management / editing. Light photo editing. I might get into shooting RAW at some point, I might not. I don't know.  I definitely won't be using PS or Lightroom (don't like either). Probably just Photos or maybe something like DigiKam. Maybe GIMP.

The only 3D stuff would maybe be Lego Digital Designer, which runs fine on my 10 year old MBP, so I'm not sure whether that would be a problem or not.

Essentially I'm looking for something to replace my MBP for the next few years (and get off El Cap) . I need 2 years out of it, minimum. 3 years would be great. 4 years would be - well, I'd probably need to upgrade by that point anyway, so, eh. 

Think it'd work? Or do I need the 16 GB RAM?

~Marduk (I'm using 8 GB now and never get near that even with FF, Photos, and iTunes running at the same time)

#1734 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14560 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

I have never wished for less RAM in a computer.

Yep.

#1735 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

I have never wished for less RAM in a computer.

Oh no doubt.  It's completely against everything I've ever thought about computers.

It's just. I dunno.  I look at Activity Monitor during my normal use and it's never above 4GB - on an old MBP, but still - and I just wonder if 8 would work given Apple's RAM prices (since it's working just fine now). 

I'm looking at it like, is it worth the extra $200 when I may end up replacing the mini 2 or 3 years from now?

~Marduk

#1736 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4989 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

So apparently this year's iPhone is going to be so disappointing everyone has just moved on to the 2020 revision.  I miss the days Apple was the leader and there was always something to be excited about.

#1737 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4713 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 06 April 2019 - 09:56 AM

Dont sleep on the Apple Pencil, even if you arent an artist. I found out my Remote Desktop app that I use for work has special support for the pencil (including a double tap gesture for the second edition) so I picked it up.

Major improvement.
Signatures are overrated.

#1738 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41246 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 08:27 PM

Alright, tech support question if anyone is willing to help.

A little old lady currently has an older model Ipad, which was working fine till a few hours ago. NOW it's telling her "not set up". I think it might have reset itself to factory. Can it be restored from itself: because I can pretty much guarantee there are no cloud saved backups.

#1739 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4989 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:51 PM

No, I don't think so.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users