Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (21 September 2019 - 08:41 PM)

speaking of geese, saw some videos for this game on the Switch: https://www.goose.game/

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2019 - 06:41 PM)

Triple changer, turns from ashes to dust.

@  Rycochet : (21 September 2019 - 05:22 PM)

To Ashens we transform! We turn into a human, a brown couch and a heap of tat.

@  Patch : (21 September 2019 - 03:02 PM)

Really? Worst alt-mode ever.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2019 - 02:09 PM)

To ashes we transform.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:14 AM)

They aren't all cranky... sure, it's hard to find one in a good mood, but still.

@  unluckiness : (21 September 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Cranky geese is a hell of a tautology

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:07 AM)

... that's like the third flock of geese this morning. Do those cranky bitches know something I should know?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 September 2019 - 06:26 AM)

Isn't there a thread for that?

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

I took a few hours off from work so I could attend. Actually met two coworkers there.

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

Anyone else here who participated in a climate change rally yesterday?

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Apple Corps: Discussion of Macs, iOS, iPhones, iPads, iEverything....

1760 replies to this topic

#41 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4760 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

The Gmail app for iOS is back. I am giving it a chance for a week to handle my Gmail outright. My work and iCloud email still go to Mail.
Signatures are overrated.

#42 lordtaco

lordtaco

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

• Supporter
  • 2563 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:27 PM

It's kind of baffling how it still doesn't work with Google Apps accounts.

#43 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18633 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:27 AM

Oh, this is handy... now I don't have to worry about making a thread later.

Performance on my iPhone 3GS as of late has been... well, unimpressive. I took it to the "Genius Bar" at the local Apple Store, and a guy ran a check on it. Since I wasn't running the new iOS 5, and apparently a lot of "junk data" had accumulated, he recommended I back up my phone, restore the factory settings and update iOS, then put the back-up back on the phone, and everything should be like it was.

Yeah... no.

Pretty much everything was gone, particularly apps, songs, podcasts, all that fun stuff. At least my save data seemed to be retained when I was able to figure out re-downloading the stuff. But there is still one problem...

For the life of me, I cannot get my ringtones to work. I had two on there I used: the first was the Power Rangers communicator beep, and the second was the Dragon Dagger tune.

I called Apple's support, and after being on hold and helped for what came to about an hour, the lady helping me went to ask someone about it... and I got disconnected.

Not. Happy.

So, the current plan is to hit the Apple Store tomorrow with my ringtones on a memory stick, and tell them to FIX THIS.

That is, unless someone here can help.

Honestly, dealing with Apple/their device has been such a pain lately. Prior to this, it took months for them to get my iTunes account working again, since the prospect of people going back and forth between the U.S. and Canada is apparently completely unheard of.

...but I digress. Ringtones: Can anyone help? I'm at my wick's end dealing with this thing this week, and I just want it to be over and a sense of normalcy to return. As it is, my experience has led my wife to reconsider updating her iOS...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#44 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3082 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

I assume you're clicking the option to sync ringtones via iTunes?
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#45 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14599 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE(LBD @ Nov 18 2011, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty much everything was gone, particularly apps, songs, podcasts, all that fun stuff. At least my save data seemed to be retained when I was able to figure out re-downloading the stuff. But there is still one problem...

For the life of me, I cannot get my ringtones to work. I had two on there I used: the first was the Power Rangers communicator beep, and the second was the Dragon Dagger tune.

Pretty sure you did what it seems 90% of people are doing when restoring their phone now. Apple allows you to use the phone while it syncs so everyone just unplugs it as soon as its open. You shouldn't. Everything will eventually show up, but it takes a while. Plug it back in and sync and wait. By the provider logo there is a little sync icon that'll show up now to tell you its syncing instead of shutting you out of the phone.

As long as you have apps and ringtones set to sync it will work, as long as you give it time to...
Yep.

#46 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

• Supporter
  • 2509 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(LBD @ Nov 18 2011, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, this is handy... now I don't have to worry about making a thread later.

Performance on my iPhone 3GS as of late has been... well, unimpressive. I took it to the "Genius Bar" at the local Apple Store, and a guy ran a check on it. Since I wasn't running the new iOS 5, and apparently a lot of "junk data" had accumulated, he recommended I back up my phone, restore the factory settings and update iOS, then put the back-up back on the phone, and everything should be like it was.

Yeah... no.

I called Apple's support, and after being on hold and helped for what came to about an hour, the lady helping me went to ask someone about it... and I got disconnected.

Not. Happy.

So, the current plan is to hit the Apple Store tomorrow with my ringtones on a memory stick, and tell them to FIX THIS.

That is, unless someone here can help.

Honestly, dealing with Apple/their device has been such a pain lately. Prior to this, it took months for them to get my iTunes account working again, since the prospect of people going back and forth between the U.S. and Canada is apparently completely unheard of.

...but I digress. Ringtones: Can anyone help? I'm at my wick's end dealing with this thing this week, and I just want it to be over and a sense of normalcy to return. As it is, my experience has led my wife to reconsider updating her iOS...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Do an iCloud backup and then perform a DFU restore on your phone. iCloud doesn't back up firmware or any software bugs, so you should be good to go.

What he didn't inform you was that a restore/update to iOS 5 wipes the phone and anything you don't transfer prior to the update will not be put back on. Any songs from iTunes or apps/books/ringtones can be redownloaded through the purchased tab on the app/itunes store. Save data will be gone, but hey, at least it's a working phone.

And as for ringtones? Custom made or purchase through iTunes? And I hate to ask it, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't realize the silent switch is on...is yours in silent mode?

#47 Kevin S

Kevin S

Unswerving in my duties

• Supporter
  • 5980 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

Just upgraded my iPad, and I do not like. iTunes used to have some nice audiobook options, including the ability to choose chapters & skip back 30 seconds. No more. Now the thing just treats audiobooks as big audio files & also makes you go looking for them, as you can only find them under the more button. (I think there was a bookmark feature too, but I never used it.)

I don't see what's been done in Safari as an improvement either. Previously, instead of tabs, they created this neat button that acted the same way. Now tabs are part of Safari, and I really miss the old set up.

Edited by Kevin S, 18 November 2011 - 08:58 PM.

My FlickR folder...

And yes, I was too lazy to come up with a decent TF related forum name, and just *GASP* used my own.

#48 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18633 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE(Kup @ Nov 18 2011, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I assume you're clicking the option to sync ringtones via iTunes?

I did, yes.

QUOTE(PiratedTVPro @ Nov 18 2011, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(LBD @ Nov 18 2011, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty sure you did what it seems 90% of people are doing when restoring their phone now. Apple allows you to use the phone while it syncs so everyone just unplugs it as soon as its open. You shouldn't. Everything will eventually show up, but it takes a while. Plug it back in and sync and wait. By the provider logo there is a little sync icon that'll show up now to tell you its syncing instead of shutting you out of the phone.

As long as you have apps and ringtones set to sync it will work, as long as you give it time to...

I don't think I unplugged it early... I think it made the sound the computer makes when you plug/unplug something from the USB.

QUOTE(ShadowFox @ Nov 18 2011, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do an iCloud backup and then perform a DFU restore on your phone. iCloud doesn't back up firmware or any software bugs, so you should be good to go.

What he didn't inform you was that a restore/update to iOS 5 wipes the phone and anything you don't transfer prior to the update will not be put back on. Any songs from iTunes or apps/books/ringtones can be redownloaded through the purchased tab on the app/itunes store. Save data will be gone, but hey, at least it's a working phone.

And as for ringtones? Custom made or purchase through iTunes? And I hate to ask it, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't realize the silent switch is on...is yours in silent mode?

Well, I have everything I want/need back in working order now, except the ringtones, and I think iTunes had been giving me grief about the files before when syncing, but it never mattered until now.

And they are custom, and no, the switch wasn't set to off-- I tested it and another ringtone comes up instead. I can't even find the ones I had anywhere in the list now.

No desire to mess with the back-up and such again right now. My save data for apps and things seems intact, interestingly enough.

And I did redownload what I needed to, though iTunes has wiped it out when I try to do the ringtone thing, so I've put that stuff on the back burner until my ringtone situation is sorted. It threw me at first, though, since instead of "redownload" or "install," it gave me "buy" and the price... but I found out that doing that just leads it to say that I've downloaded it before, and do I want to again.

Anyway, is there a way to set the custom ringtones back again? I know Apple's not big on it, but it sounds like there is a way. I'm convinced that whatever I did before (I think my wife added them, actually, but she doesn't remember how) no longer has any effect, so I'm starting from scratch again.

Update: After a trip to the Apple Store, a gent there was kind enough to help me out with the problem, and turned my attention to a site which seems able to handle all my ringtone needs.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Edited by LBD "Nytetrayn", 20 November 2011 - 04:47 AM.

#49 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34235 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:07 PM

Ok, I got an iPad2 and I found this app called IPB that says it is for looking at IP Board message boards. But for the life of me I can't see a difference between it and Safari. Am I doing something wrong?

#50 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14599 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(Axaday @ Dec 5 2011, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I got an iPad2 and I found this app called IPB that says it is for looking at IP Board message boards. But for the life of me I can't see a difference between it and Safari. Am I doing something wrong?

Nope. It's a crappy app.
Yep.

#51 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18633 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:32 AM

Might have to make another trip to the Apple Store... I got the ringtone thing figured out... sort of.

For some reason, it won't allow me to set one I've got for text messages. It allows the other two tunes, but not the third, for some reason.

BUT, the third is on there-- I can select it as a ringtone, but only the first two for text messages.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#52 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(Kevin S @ Nov 18 2011, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just upgraded my iPad, and I do not like. iTunes used to have some nice audiobook options, including the ability to choose chapters & skip back 30 seconds. No more. Now the thing just treats audiobooks as big audio files & also makes you go looking for them, as you can only find them under the more button. (I think there was a bookmark feature too, but I never used it.)

I don't see what's been done in Safari as an improvement either. Previously, instead of tabs, they created this neat button that acted the same way. Now tabs are part of Safari, and I really miss the old set up.

I like the new Safari all right. Haven't seen much with iTunes, but previously you could set up a playlist of music videos in the music app which would trick the video player into using it, but you can't anymore. icon-screamer.gif

Not loving iOS5. Haven't done iCloud stuff yet, and from the new MacWorld, it seems very pointless in that way many Apple "innovations" are to folks smart enough to know better, if more complicated, ways of doing things.

#53 lordtaco

lordtaco

• Supporter
  • 2563 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE(Axaday @ Dec 5 2011, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tapatalk is a much better app for browsing forums, but alas Kalidor hasn't installed the plugin. Which is a shame, this is about the only forum I can't access on Tapatalk.

#54 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

• Retired Staff
  • 14599 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(lostorbit @ Dec 6 2011, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Axaday @ Dec 5 2011, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tapatalk is a much better app for browsing forums, but alas Kalidor hasn't installed the plugin. Which is a shame, this is about the only forum I can't access on Tapatalk.

Does he even know about it? Send something his way or post in "Ask the Staff". No reason he wouldn't I don't think.
Yep.

#55 lordtaco

lordtaco

• Supporter
  • 2563 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

Oh that's a good idea.

#56 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9167 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

After much consideration, I decided to stick with Apple and bought an iPhone 4S. I'll continue to suffer through its shortcomings and hope that they're resolved eventually.

#57 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34235 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

I sent Kal a message about Tapatalk.

-=-=-=-

Does anyone use the Apple keyboard dock with an iPad 2? I read in one place that it is a little awkward to attach the dock, but sometimes things like that get written by whiny people. There are lots of slick looking bluetooth keyboard STANDS, but my ideal situation was really to do everything with one item.

#58 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15742 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

I picked up an iPhone 4S last night and one of the first things I wanted to do was see my purchases from the phone pushed to my laptop. But for some reason it isn't doing it. Settings on the iphone are set to allow the store/phone to push apps and music(not books because I don't use) and my laptop has had its preferences set in itunes to search for them. But when I open iTunes on the lappy, although it asks for my PW for the purchases, it doesn't start downloading any.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
·´¯`·.. ><((((º> ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

#59 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34235 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(Bainreese @ Dec 6 2011, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I picked up an iPhone 4S last night and one of the first things I wanted to do was see my purchases from the phone pushed to my laptop. But for some reason it isn't doing it. Settings on the iphone are set to allow the store/phone to push apps and music(not books because I don't use) and my laptop has had its preferences set in itunes to search for them. But when I open iTunes on the lappy, although it asks for my PW for the purchases, it doesn't start downloading any.

How big a data plan did you get, Bain? Because that iCloud is a MASSIVE datahog.

#60 lordtaco

lordtaco

• Supporter
  • 2563 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(Axaday @ Dec 6 2011, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How big a data plan did you get, Bain? Because that iCloud is a MASSIVE datahog.

To which aspect of iCloud are you referring, the biggest data transfer would be the backup, and it only initiates that when it's connected to wifi and plugged in.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users