Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (21 September 2019 - 08:41 PM)

speaking of geese, saw some videos for this game on the Switch: https://www.goose.game/

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2019 - 06:41 PM)

Triple changer, turns from ashes to dust.

@  Rycochet : (21 September 2019 - 05:22 PM)

To Ashens we transform! We turn into a human, a brown couch and a heap of tat.

@  Patch : (21 September 2019 - 03:02 PM)

Really? Worst alt-mode ever.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2019 - 02:09 PM)

To ashes we transform.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:14 AM)

They aren't all cranky... sure, it's hard to find one in a good mood, but still.

@  unluckiness : (21 September 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Cranky geese is a hell of a tautology

@  wonko the sane? : (21 September 2019 - 09:07 AM)

... that's like the third flock of geese this morning. Do those cranky bitches know something I should know?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 September 2019 - 06:26 AM)

Isn't there a thread for that?

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

I took a few hours off from work so I could attend. Actually met two coworkers there.

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2019 - 05:41 AM)

Anyone else here who participated in a climate change rally yesterday?

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Apple Corps: Discussion of Macs, iOS, iPhones, iPads, iEverything....

1760 replies to this topic

#21 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9167 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

I've got a question for you Mac types. My parents have this crazy idea that they want to start a business where they dress people up on costumes, photograph them in front of a green screen, Photoshop them onto a background, and print it out on-site for the customers. If they want to do this with a Macbook, what kind of hardware should they be looking at and how much should they expect to spend on it?

(Never mind that my parents are infuriatingly and chronically inept with computers and this idea is doomed to fail.)

#22 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(Mouse_Pad @ Nov 13 2011, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got a question for you Mac types. My parents have this crazy idea that they want to start a business where they dress people up on costumes, photograph them in front of a green screen, Photoshop them onto a background, and print it out on-site for the customers. If they want to do this with a Macbook, what kind of hardware should they be looking at and how much should they expect to spend on it?

(Never mind that my parents are infuriatingly and chronically inept with computers and this idea is doomed to fail.)

Hardware's not going to be that different on a Mac versus on a Windows laptop.

1) A Macbook, if they don't already have it. Pro would probably be better, but a normal Macbook will work.
2) A legal copy of Photoshop (not just Elements) is probably going to be necessary for this to work well. $500ish, plus however much training would cost.
3) Digital camera. A DSLR would be preferable--you probably wouldn't seem credible if you were just using a sub-$300 point-and-shoot--but you'd likely end up paying $500+ for the camera body and another $250+ for the camera lens. It's possible, if they were ever into photography in the past, that they might already have a lens--modern DSLRs are compatible with lenses from high-end film cameras, and the mounting systems haven't changed in decades. Most cameras these days are pretty strong on Mac compatibility, so that won't be an issue.
4) Tripod for camera. Let's say $20.
5) Studio lighting setup and Green Screen backdrop. You can find a starter kit for around $200, maybe a little less if you find a deal--though you're likely to get what you pay for.
6) Good-quality printer. I'd expect to pay at least $300 here; the big feature to look for would be Cyan, Magenta and Yellow ink cartridges rather than one big "color" ink cartridge. If you want to be able to provide large-format prints, it might be worth investing in a plotter, but those are expensive--upwards of a grand for a 24" plotter, and upwards of three and a half for a 42" plotter. Again, little to no concerns about doing this on a Mac versus a PC--printer drivers are widely available for Mac these days.
7) Print supplies. High-quality photo paper, replacement ink cartridges, etc.
8) All those costumes they're going to need. No idea how to estimate that.
9) A library of legal, royalty-free backdrop images to use. If you're going through a stock photography website, I'd expect to pay a minimum of $20 per backdrop image; more depending on license provisions. If they plan to commission them, I'd expect even higher. If they're planning on creating the backdrop images themselves... well, good luck to them.
10) Retail space, power, advertising, furniture, and all those other nice business overhead things. Again, no idea how to estimate that, but it'd be a big expense. Unless they're planning on starting as a part-time thing and just offering their services at a booth at comic book/anime/sci-fi conventions.

Edited by awa64, 13 November 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#23 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9167 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE(awa64 @ Nov 13 2011, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Mouse_Pad @ Nov 13 2011, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hardware's not going to be that different on a Mac versus on a Windows laptop.

1) A Macbook, if they don't already have it. Pro would probably be better, but a normal Macbook will work.
2) A legal copy of Photoshop (not just Elements) is probably going to be necessary for this to work well. $500ish, plus however much training would cost.
3) Digital camera. A DSLR would be preferable--you probably wouldn't seem credible if you were just using a sub-$300 point-and-shoot--but you'd likely end up paying $500+ for the camera body and another $250+ for the camera lens. It's possible, if they were ever into photography in the past, that they might already have a lens--modern DSLRs are compatible with lenses from high-end film cameras, and the mounting systems haven't changed in decades. Most cameras these days are pretty strong on Mac compatibility, so that won't be an issue.
4) Tripod for camera. Let's say $20.
5) Studio lighting setup and Green Screen backdrop. You can find a starter kit for around $200, maybe a little less if you find a deal--though you're likely to get what you pay for.
6) Good-quality printer. I'd expect to pay at least $300 here; the big feature to look for would be Cyan, Magenta and Yellow ink cartridges rather than one big "color" ink cartridge. If you want to be able to provide large-format prints, it might be worth investing in a plotter, but those are expensive--upwards of a grand for a 24" plotter, and upwards of three and a half for a 42" plotter. Again, little to no concerns about doing this on a Mac versus a PC--printer drivers are widely available for Mac these days.
7) Print supplies. High-quality photo paper, replacement ink cartridges, etc.
8) All those costumes they're going to need. No idea how to estimate that.
9) A library of legal, royalty-free backdrop images to use. If you're going through a stock photography website, I'd expect to pay a minimum of $20 per backdrop image; more depending on license provisions. If they plan to commission them, I'd expect even higher. If they're planning on creating the backdrop images themselves... well, good luck to them.
10) Retail space, power, advertising, furniture, and all those other nice business overhead things. Again, no idea how to estimate that, but it'd be a big expense. Unless they're planning on starting as a part-time thing and just offering their services at a booth at comic book/anime/sci-fi conventions.

I was really just referring to #1. But, uh, thanks!

#24 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4760 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

The plain MacBook is no longer made. I would not suggest the Air for that kind of use. Stick with the Pro.
Signatures are overrated.

#25 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE(Deathy G1 @ Nov 13 2011, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The plain MacBook is no longer made. I would not suggest the Air for that kind of use. Stick with the Pro.

The plain MacBook is no longer made, but you can still buy refurbished ones.

#26 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

I upgraded my iPad (1) to ios 5.01 and other than my comic app deleting all it's files, so far so good....EXCEPT, I have no idea what ios 5 does. Anyone know of any sites that tell me of the features I now have?

#27 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3082 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Nov 14 2011, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I upgraded my iPad (1) to ios 5.01 and other than my comic app deleting all it's files, so far so good....EXCEPT, I have no idea what ios 5 does. Anyone know of any sites that tell me of the features I now have?

Apple introduced an exciting new feature called "Wall Charger Mode" -- see, they decided that decent batter life was sooooooo 2010 and opted to include behind the scenes coding into iOS 5.0 (and .01) to magically drain your battery *without you having do so a single thing!* Its completely hands free -- just leave your iPad siting on your desk and watch it drop 1-2% battery power per hour. This allows you to remain with a wall charger at all times. Who needs wireless anyway?

But to answer your question, are you talking about 4.x to 5.0.1 or 5.0 to 5.0.1? Off the top of my head, I know that 5.0.1 restores multi-touch gestures to iPad 1. Let me know which you're asking about.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#28 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

4x to 5.01

I'm actually seeing better battery performance now than I was b4 the upgrade.

A British article.
http://forums.thereg...ed_to_use_ipad/
It's not a particularly good article, but I found the comments to be very..British which ammused me.

#29 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3082 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Off the top of my head:

-- Improved notifications (including a Notification Center, accessible by swiping down from the time from any screen but the lock screen). Notifications show up on the lock screen, and can easily be accessed by swiping to unlock that specific notification
-- Reminders
-- Newsstand (annoying, because its actually a folder and not easily hidden).
-- Use the volume up button to take a picture
-- Camera is accessible from the lock screen
-- iMessage (I love this feature); as a side note, I've found sending an MMS to a non-iMessage user to be exceptionally faster on 5.x. iMessage also includes read receipts/delivery receipts.
-- Twitter integration throughout the OS
-- Desktop style back/forward options in Safari (you can select which page you want to go back to instead of clicking back through them 1 by 1)
-- Annoying iCloud integration. I have most of my stuff turned off, except for Find my iPhone
-- Photo stream (part of iCloud). Again, not executed well. All photos you take are beamed across all devices, so if I take a picture of a possible gift for my wife to text to her sister, that picture gets beamed to her phone. Suddenly, she's wondering why she has a Coach purse showing up on her phone. Also, you cannot delete individual photos. Ever try to take a photo of 2 kids at the same time? You end up snapping about 15 in a row trying to get them to smile at the same time, and keep only 1 or 2. With Photo Stream, all 15 are stored in the Cloud and unable to be individually deleted
-- Ability to hide purchased apps within the App store
-- Automatically download apps/music once purchased on a device (Again, bad implementation. I purchase stuff for work that my wife and son have no need for, and will just take up space on their devices)
-- Wifi sync with iTunes (any time your device is plugged into a charger it will sync)
-- Likewise, the option to go PC free. You can activate without plugging in to iTunes, and back up to iCloud. This includes an app to manage your Time Capsule/Airport Extreme/Airport Express router (does anyone know if you can manage non Apple routers?)
-- OTA updates. Now that you are on 5.x, you can download delta updates for iOS instead of having to plug into iTunes. The latest ran 40-60 megs, rather than 600+ via iTunes. This so far requires you to be on a wifi connection.
-- Split keyboard on iPad.
-- Moveable keyboard on iPad.
-- Under "Usage" in the "General" tab in setings, you'll find the option to view how much room specific apps are taking up (So you know which to delete if you are running shy on space)

Hope that helps, and I'm sure its not an exhaustive list.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#30 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Thanks...I'm looking more for a "how" than a what (Like the multi touch gestures), but you listed bunch of stuff I wasn't aware of.

-- Ability to hide purchased apps within the App store

Don't get this...there's no porn apps, so why would you need to hide them?

I like the idea of iCloud calendar integration, except my non iCloudable G5 won't take advantage of it

Edit: Found the multi-touch...ooh..ahh

Edited by Scavgraphics, 14 November 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#31 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3082 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

There may not be porn apps, but there are apps who's intended audience is not my son -- or my grandparents. Both share my apple id. Plus, how many times have you tried out an app, hated it, and deleted it with no intention of seeing it again -- or got the free version only to upgrade to paid a little while later? In both cases I simply don't want to see the apps again.

Multi touch is awesome. I've been using it since 4.3 or whenever it was first given to developers (I enabled it via the free XCode program from Apple's site). I barely use the home button to go back to my home screen anymore.

#32 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14599 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Nov 14 2011, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get it from the source...
http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 14 November 2011 - 07:12 PM.

Yep.

#33 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

^ Right...I was looking more for "how's"..I've found multi-touch...but like i haven't gotten like how to do reminders.

#34 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

BARK BARK ZAPP!!

• Supporter
  • 4560 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:13 AM

Is anyone running iOS 5 on a 3rd gen touch? Is there any slowdown?
WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!
Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787
Pokmon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345
Actual friends: um....

#35 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3082 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Can someone with a Macbook Pro take a picture and upload it of how far the screen show open? Basically....(sigh...) I wasn't watching our son and he was in the other room. I heard a "pop" and ran in to find him with my wife's computer's screen wedged between two couch cushions. To me, it appears as if the screen opens way more than it should now (and if thats the case, I'm concerned about stress on the cables that connect the display to the computer). It works fine, but both of us feel as if it opens way more than it should now.

I tried Googling about 15 different ways of wording this, but apparently I'm the first person who has ever faced this issue.....or else I'm too frustrated to type an effective Google search.....apparently no one else has ever taken a side profile with the screen open as far as it can go?

Thanks.....

#36 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35124 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

I just got the joke behind this thread title.

"Disabled people dont have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnt a special need. Its a basic human right. Its a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#37 lordtaco

lordtaco

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

• Supporter
  • 2563 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(Kup @ Nov 15 2011, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone with a Macbook Pro take a picture and upload it of how far the screen show open?

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

#38 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

Husband, Father, Front-End Web/Comms Guy, Podcaster

• Citizen
  • 15309 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

Is anyone having an issue with iMovie '11 and audio/video sync issues? I can't record videologs any longer because when I shoot video with my isight and import it into iMovie '11 (on Lion), the audio ends up getting horrible out of sync with the video. Google searches turn up other people who have the same issue but I see absolutely no resolution or fix for it.

IaconMedia.com - broadcasting new and archived podcasts

Want to play games? Let's go!

• Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0088-4646-0809
  • XBOX Live ID: Matrix_Prime

#39 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5283 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

The current Macbook Pro chassis is 3 years old this month--anyone think Apple is going to change it sometime soon? It's a pretty stellar design, so I can't see how it can really be improved, but Apple usually finds a way. If anything, they need to switch it up just to keep ahead of imitators.

#40 lordtaco

lordtaco

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

• Supporter
  • 2563 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

I think the unibody aluminum bodies are here to stay for a long time, so you will probably only see minor improvements across the lineup. I'm sure Apple has invested tons into the tooling and machinery to make them.

The iMacs, for example, went from this:

To this:

And I'm ok with that. Not only do they look great, they are thinner and stronger. And I don't think Apple is too worried about being copied. Other manufacturers have certainly been emulating the look of Apple's notebooks, but don't come close on build quality and materials.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users