Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (24 April 2019 - 03:05 AM)

It's like how the whole "alpha male" thing doesn't really show up in wolf packs in the wild.

@  Nevermore : (24 April 2019 - 01:54 AM)

Aaaaand another myth busted.

@  CORVUS : (24 April 2019 - 12:27 AM)

Quite welcome! :)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 09:51 PM)

@Corvus Huh, did not know that part. Thanks for imparting knowledge!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 09:27 PM)

No because it's true.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 April 2019 - 09:17 PM)

Would I be jaded if i said that's a good lesson about people as well?

@  CORVUS : (23 April 2019 - 09:01 PM)

Overstated risk. Most observations of sexual cannibalism in the Praying Mantis occurred in captivity, versus nature. When entomologists began observing them in nature instead, they found that sexual cannibalism took place around 30% of the time. Basically, if a male Mantis avoids thin, hungry females, his chances are pretty good. #yesimanerd

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 07:52 PM)

Are you a male mantis?

@  MEDdMI : (23 April 2019 - 07:27 PM)

Death by snu snu

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 06:40 PM)

There's a joke about going out with a bang to be made here.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 06:38 PM)

I would hope getting laid is preferred over dying :p

@  Nevermore : (23 April 2019 - 05:20 PM)

Don't we all want to get laid?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2019 - 04:53 PM)

I'd spend the first few loops just taking an extended nap.

@  Dekafox : (23 April 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Endless death time loops certainly happen enough in Star Trek

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 03:50 PM)

That's not what I had in mind but if that is what you would do in that scenario then that is pretty messed up. I would not want to be stuck in a perpetual loop of death. More like getting laid but that is just me.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 April 2019 - 01:58 PM)

Happy death day to you!

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 01:45 PM)

.... I would love that. To be stuck in an endless loop where no one remembers what happened... The possibilities :D

@  ZakuConvoy : (23 April 2019 - 01:43 PM)

Are you stuck in a Groundhogs Day situation? Because if you are, you need to tell the rest of us so we can take advantage, too.

@  Kayla Kaon : (23 April 2019 - 11:10 AM)

Lol today needs to end asap so that I can start over tomorrow

@  Ashley : (21 April 2019 - 10:08 PM)

They frequently do, but yeah there's no rule. Google will usually answer it for a specific restaurant, though

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2019 - 02:57 PM)

Depends on the restaurant and the area. There's no universal rule about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 April 2019 - 02:41 PM)

I thought restaurants were one of the few things that stayed open on holidays, along with movie theatres and the like

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (21 April 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Well here I am hungry on a Sunday afternoon and I head to Chipotle only to find out right then and there that the place is closed for Easter. Yay.

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Apple Corps: Discussion of Macs, iOS, iPhones, iPads, iEverything....

1738 replies to this topic

#21 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9078 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

I've got a question for you Mac types. My parents have this crazy idea that they want to start a business where they dress people up on costumes, photograph them in front of a green screen, Photoshop them onto a background, and print it out on-site for the customers. If they want to do this with a Macbook, what kind of hardware should they be looking at and how much should they expect to spend on it?

(Never mind that my parents are infuriatingly and chronically inept with computers and this idea is doomed to fail.)

#22 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(Mouse_Pad @ Nov 13 2011, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got a question for you Mac types. My parents have this crazy idea that they want to start a business where they dress people up on costumes, photograph them in front of a green screen, Photoshop them onto a background, and print it out on-site for the customers. If they want to do this with a Macbook, what kind of hardware should they be looking at and how much should they expect to spend on it?

(Never mind that my parents are infuriatingly and chronically inept with computers and this idea is doomed to fail.)

Hardware's not going to be that different on a Mac versus on a Windows laptop.

1) A Macbook, if they don't already have it. Pro would probably be better, but a normal Macbook will work.
2) A legal copy of Photoshop (not just Elements) is probably going to be necessary for this to work well. $500ish, plus however much training would cost.
3) Digital camera. A DSLR would be preferable--you probably wouldn't seem credible if you were just using a sub-$300 point-and-shoot--but you'd likely end up paying $500+ for the camera body and another $250+ for the camera lens. It's possible, if they were ever into photography in the past, that they might already have a lens--modern DSLRs are compatible with lenses from high-end film cameras, and the mounting systems haven't changed in decades. Most cameras these days are pretty strong on Mac compatibility, so that won't be an issue.
4) Tripod for camera. Let's say $20.
5) Studio lighting setup and Green Screen backdrop. You can find a starter kit for around $200, maybe a little less if you find a deal--though you're likely to get what you pay for.
6) Good-quality printer. I'd expect to pay at least $300 here; the big feature to look for would be Cyan, Magenta and Yellow ink cartridges rather than one big "color" ink cartridge. If you want to be able to provide large-format prints, it might be worth investing in a plotter, but those are expensive--upwards of a grand for a 24" plotter, and upwards of three and a half for a 42" plotter. Again, little to no concerns about doing this on a Mac versus a PC--printer drivers are widely available for Mac these days.
7) Print supplies. High-quality photo paper, replacement ink cartridges, etc.
8) All those costumes they're going to need. No idea how to estimate that.
9) A library of legal, royalty-free backdrop images to use. If you're going through a stock photography website, I'd expect to pay a minimum of $20 per backdrop image; more depending on license provisions. If they plan to commission them, I'd expect even higher. If they're planning on creating the backdrop images themselves... well, good luck to them.
10) Retail space, power, advertising, furniture, and all those other nice business overhead things. Again, no idea how to estimate that, but it'd be a big expense. Unless they're planning on starting as a part-time thing and just offering their services at a booth at comic book/anime/sci-fi conventions.

Edited by awa64, 13 November 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#23 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9078 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE(awa64 @ Nov 13 2011, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Mouse_Pad @ Nov 13 2011, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hardware's not going to be that different on a Mac versus on a Windows laptop.

1) A Macbook, if they don't already have it. Pro would probably be better, but a normal Macbook will work.
2) A legal copy of Photoshop (not just Elements) is probably going to be necessary for this to work well. $500ish, plus however much training would cost.
3) Digital camera. A DSLR would be preferable--you probably wouldn't seem credible if you were just using a sub-$300 point-and-shoot--but you'd likely end up paying $500+ for the camera body and another $250+ for the camera lens. It's possible, if they were ever into photography in the past, that they might already have a lens--modern DSLRs are compatible with lenses from high-end film cameras, and the mounting systems haven't changed in decades. Most cameras these days are pretty strong on Mac compatibility, so that won't be an issue.
4) Tripod for camera. Let's say $20.
5) Studio lighting setup and Green Screen backdrop. You can find a starter kit for around $200, maybe a little less if you find a deal--though you're likely to get what you pay for.
6) Good-quality printer. I'd expect to pay at least $300 here; the big feature to look for would be Cyan, Magenta and Yellow ink cartridges rather than one big "color" ink cartridge. If you want to be able to provide large-format prints, it might be worth investing in a plotter, but those are expensive--upwards of a grand for a 24" plotter, and upwards of three and a half for a 42" plotter. Again, little to no concerns about doing this on a Mac versus a PC--printer drivers are widely available for Mac these days.
7) Print supplies. High-quality photo paper, replacement ink cartridges, etc.
8) All those costumes they're going to need. No idea how to estimate that.
9) A library of legal, royalty-free backdrop images to use. If you're going through a stock photography website, I'd expect to pay a minimum of $20 per backdrop image; more depending on license provisions. If they plan to commission them, I'd expect even higher. If they're planning on creating the backdrop images themselves... well, good luck to them.
10) Retail space, power, advertising, furniture, and all those other nice business overhead things. Again, no idea how to estimate that, but it'd be a big expense. Unless they're planning on starting as a part-time thing and just offering their services at a booth at comic book/anime/sci-fi conventions.

I was really just referring to #1. But, uh, thanks!

#24 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4713 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

The plain MacBook is no longer made. I would not suggest the Air for that kind of use. Stick with the Pro.
Signatures are overrated.

#25 awa64

awa64
  • Citizen
  • 12625 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE(Deathy G1 @ Nov 13 2011, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The plain MacBook is no longer made. I would not suggest the Air for that kind of use. Stick with the Pro.

The plain MacBook is no longer made, but you can still buy refurbished ones.

#26 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

I upgraded my iPad (1) to ios 5.01 and other than my comic app deleting all it's files, so far so good....EXCEPT, I have no idea what ios 5 does. Anyone know of any sites that tell me of the features I now have?

#27 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2965 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Nov 14 2011, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I upgraded my iPad (1) to ios 5.01 and other than my comic app deleting all it's files, so far so good....EXCEPT, I have no idea what ios 5 does. Anyone know of any sites that tell me of the features I now have?

Apple introduced an exciting new feature called "Wall Charger Mode" -- see, they decided that decent batter life was sooooooo 2010 and opted to include behind the scenes coding into iOS 5.0 (and .01) to magically drain your battery *without you having do so a single thing!* Its completely hands free -- just leave your iPad siting on your desk and watch it drop 1-2% battery power per hour. This allows you to remain with a wall charger at all times. Who needs wireless anyway?

But to answer your question, are you talking about 4.x to 5.0.1 or 5.0 to 5.0.1? Off the top of my head, I know that 5.0.1 restores multi-touch gestures to iPad 1. Let me know which you're asking about.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#28 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

4x to 5.01

I'm actually seeing better battery performance now than I was b4 the upgrade.

A British article.
http://forums.thereg...ed_to_use_ipad/
It's not a particularly good article, but I found the comments to be very..British which ammused me.

#29 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2965 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Off the top of my head:

-- Improved notifications (including a Notification Center, accessible by swiping down from the time from any screen but the lock screen). Notifications show up on the lock screen, and can easily be accessed by swiping to unlock that specific notification
-- Reminders
-- Newsstand (annoying, because its actually a folder and not easily hidden).
-- Use the volume up button to take a picture
-- Camera is accessible from the lock screen
-- iMessage (I love this feature); as a side note, I've found sending an MMS to a non-iMessage user to be exceptionally faster on 5.x. iMessage also includes read receipts/delivery receipts.
-- Twitter integration throughout the OS
-- Desktop style back/forward options in Safari (you can select which page you want to go back to instead of clicking back through them 1 by 1)
-- Annoying iCloud integration. I have most of my stuff turned off, except for Find my iPhone
-- Photo stream (part of iCloud). Again, not executed well. All photos you take are beamed across all devices, so if I take a picture of a possible gift for my wife to text to her sister, that picture gets beamed to her phone. Suddenly, she's wondering why she has a Coach purse showing up on her phone. Also, you cannot delete individual photos. Ever try to take a photo of 2 kids at the same time? You end up snapping about 15 in a row trying to get them to smile at the same time, and keep only 1 or 2. With Photo Stream, all 15 are stored in the Cloud and unable to be individually deleted
-- Ability to hide purchased apps within the App store
-- Automatically download apps/music once purchased on a device (Again, bad implementation. I purchase stuff for work that my wife and son have no need for, and will just take up space on their devices)
-- Wifi sync with iTunes (any time your device is plugged into a charger it will sync)
-- Likewise, the option to go PC free. You can activate without plugging in to iTunes, and back up to iCloud. This includes an app to manage your Time Capsule/Airport Extreme/Airport Express router (does anyone know if you can manage non Apple routers?)
-- OTA updates. Now that you are on 5.x, you can download delta updates for iOS instead of having to plug into iTunes. The latest ran 40-60 megs, rather than 600+ via iTunes. This so far requires you to be on a wifi connection.
-- Split keyboard on iPad.
-- Moveable keyboard on iPad.
-- Under "Usage" in the "General" tab in setings, you'll find the option to view how much room specific apps are taking up (So you know which to delete if you are running shy on space)

Hope that helps, and I'm sure its not an exhaustive list.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#30 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Thanks...I'm looking more for a "how" than a what (Like the multi touch gestures), but you listed bunch of stuff I wasn't aware of.

-- Ability to hide purchased apps within the App store

Don't get this...there's no porn apps, so why would you need to hide them?

I like the idea of iCloud calendar integration, except my non iCloudable G5 won't take advantage of it

Edit: Found the multi-touch...ooh..ahh

Edited by Scavgraphics, 14 November 2011 - 04:06 PM.

#31 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2965 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

There may not be porn apps, but there are apps who's intended audience is not my son -- or my grandparents. Both share my apple id. Plus, how many times have you tried out an app, hated it, and deleted it with no intention of seeing it again -- or got the free version only to upgrade to paid a little while later? In both cases I simply don't want to see the apps again.

Multi touch is awesome. I've been using it since 4.3 or whenever it was first given to developers (I enabled it via the free XCode program from Apple's site). I barely use the home button to go back to my home screen anymore.

#32 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14560 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Scavgraphics @ Nov 14 2011, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get it from the source...
http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 14 November 2011 - 07:12 PM.

Yep.

#33 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:30 AM

^ Right...I was looking more for "how's"..I've found multi-touch...but like i haven't gotten like how to do reminders.

#34 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

My mosh pit is more fun than your mosh pit!

• Supporter
  • 4457 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:13 AM

Is anyone running iOS 5 on a 3rd gen touch? Is there any slowdown?
WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!
Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787
Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345
Actual friends: um....

#35 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2965 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Can someone with a Macbook Pro take a picture and upload it of how far the screen show open? Basically....(sigh...) I wasn't watching our son and he was in the other room. I heard a "pop" and ran in to find him with my wife's computer's screen wedged between two couch cushions. To me, it appears as if the screen opens way more than it should now (and if thats the case, I'm concerned about stress on the cables that connect the display to the computer). It works fine, but both of us feel as if it opens way more than it should now.

I tried Googling about 15 different ways of wording this, but apparently I'm the first person who has ever faced this issue.....or else I'm too frustrated to type an effective Google search.....apparently no one else has ever taken a side profile with the screen open as far as it can go?

Thanks.....

#36 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34978 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

I just got the joke behind this thread title.

"Disabled people don’t have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isn’t a “special need”. It’s a basic human right. It’s a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#37 lordtaco

lordtaco

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

• Supporter
  • 2563 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE(Kup @ Nov 15 2011, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone with a Macbook Pro take a picture and upload it of how far the screen show open?

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG

#38 MatrixPrime

MatrixPrime

Husband, Soon to be Father, Front-End Web/Comms Guy, Podcaster

• Citizen
  • 15301 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

Is anyone having an issue with iMovie '11 and audio/video sync issues? I can't record videologs any longer because when I shoot video with my isight and import it into iMovie '11 (on Lion), the audio ends up getting horrible out of sync with the video. Google searches turn up other people who have the same issue but I see absolutely no resolution or fix for it.

IaconMedia.com - broadcasting new and archived podcasts

Want to play games? Let's go!

• Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0088-4646-0809
  • XBOX Live ID: Matrix_Prime

#39 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4989 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

The current Macbook Pro chassis is 3 years old this month--anyone think Apple is going to change it sometime soon? It's a pretty stellar design, so I can't see how it can really be improved, but Apple usually finds a way. If anything, they need to switch it up just to keep ahead of imitators.

#40 lordtaco

lordtaco

Roll that beautiful bean footage!

• Supporter
  • 2563 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

I think the unibody aluminum bodies are here to stay for a long time, so you will probably only see minor improvements across the lineup. I'm sure Apple has invested tons into the tooling and machinery to make them.

The iMacs, for example, went from this:

To this:

And I'm ok with that. Not only do they look great, they are thinner and stronger. And I don't think Apple is too worried about being copied. Other manufacturers have certainly been emulating the look of Apple's notebooks, but don't come close on build quality and materials.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users