Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 10:41 AM)

Oh the end of the Ottoman Empire of course.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 10:14 AM)

*ahem* 4th of July....

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 08:14 AM)

Nothing of importance has happened before, and nothing of importance will happen again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Nothing of importance happened today.

@  Telly : (03 July 2020 - 09:54 PM)

i want a "i survived 'rona and all i got was this lousy t-shirt"

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 July 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Slogan for 2021: "I Lived, Bitch."

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

They should make the next book in the Survivors series 'I SURVIVED CORONA VIRUS 2020'

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 July 2020 - 03:23 PM)

YEEEE I'M A SURVIVOR-

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:59 AM)

Probably gonna assemble Devastator after work.

@  Nevermore : (03 July 2020 - 06:58 AM)

Ooooh. Overload arrived. He's surprisingly fun.

@  Bass X0 : (02 July 2020 - 04:00 PM)

He's sweeter than the average bear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 July 2020 - 03:14 PM)

Convert him to Maple Syrup.

Photo

The DC Toy Thread

1175 replies to this topic

#1141 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19656 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

You're not alone. I am continually tempted by that particular fig just because.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1142 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23763 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

Huh.

#1143 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:40 AM

I think I remember the Bats vs. Aliens comic...  I don't remember Joker Alien...

On them twitters

#1144 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19656 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Well, I decided to jump in since I love me some Amazons (I'm pretty sure I married one). I haven't bought a DC figure in ages, but these aren't bad. Not really ML quality (or even earlier DC quality), but still not bad for display. Articulation is acceptable, but where they appear to really shine are paint applications. There wasn't a bad Diana on the shelf, and the Trevors and "suited" Wonder Womans were all well done too - something Hasbro has trouble consistently maintaining. Hyppolyta was the only one on the peg and she has a random tiny dot of paint beneath her left eye, but I can just pretend it's her prison tattoo from having killed a man.

qBTLday.jpg

Edited by Dake, 11 April 2017 - 08:43 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1145 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18294 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

Awesomely goofy steel I-beam weapons? I'm a simple man with simple tastes.

1z31cqk.jpg
Spoiler

#1146 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4915 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 01 January 2020 - 02:22 PM

Hey, something worth bumping this thread over!

A new year means new DC licenses!  McFarlane will be handling Multiverse-style collector figures, while Spin Masters will be handling the kid segment. Entertainment Earth has posted preorders for the new lines from Spin Masters.

Structure looks like a 4" line supported by a 12" segment with 2" blind bags.

https://www.entertai...ort=newly-added

The 12" lines don't look as cleanly articulated as Mattel's, but decent enough.  The 4" line looks fairly robust, with a solid range of stuff and seemingly well articulated.  Don't care for the thigh swivel though.

I do appreciate that Spin Masters is offering both a Batman centric case and a case for the villains and sidekicks.  And at least at this stage, SM isn't bogging the assortment down with random Batman variations.

#1147 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8665 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:07 PM

has mcfarlane gotten better at making toys? i only bought like 4 over the years and would hear about them breaking from tight joints and stuff

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#1148 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19656 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 10:32 AM

This was the first thing I thought when I saw they got the license. I think Mcfarlane is Scottish for "broken ankle". :D

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1149 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7826 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:08 AM

I just saw the McFarlane DC toys at Walmart.

They're laughably bad.  I had a passing interest in the BTAS figure because I heart BTAS, but yeah no.

It frustrates me so much that McFarlane has his own toy company.  I heart Spawn, too, but I also have to come to terms with the fact that I will never get a good Spawn figure because McFarlane Toys can only ever really make statues.

...or in the case of DC action figures, really oddly proportioned abominations.

#1150 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4915 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, that BTAS (and most other DCAU figures on deck) look. REALLY bad.  The Batman is particularly bad given they clearly designed it based off the New Adventures look, and simply painted it SIMILAR to the original animated design.

#1151 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7826 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

I'm just going to sit and hope MAFEX makes a BTAS figure at some point.

MAFEX definitely have their issues, but I've still enjoyed the comic book Marvel figures so far, quirks and all.

An SHF or MAFEX Spawn would be amazing, too.  Doubt that will happen, though.

#1152 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4915 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

The DC Collectibles one looked pretty good.  Probably as good as you're going to get.

#1153 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7826 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:17 PM

Yeah, I have that one already.  Was wanting more of a super-articulated one that could get into some dynamic poses.

#1154 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4915 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:07 PM

Yeah, I have that one already.  Was wanting more of a super-articulated one that could get into some dynamic poses.

I thought they had one coming with the "post DCAU" assortment that had stuff like Knightfall Batman.

Got one of Spin Masters new basic Batman figures...and its not bad.  Retailed for $7.86 at Walmart.  The online super hi-res images didn't do the line much favors, but it doesn't look terrible in person.  I picked up Rebirth Batman.

Articulation is solid, if a bit stiff.  Has a swivel head, universal shoulders and elbows but no wrists.  No waist, but universal hips with a thigh swivel (and low enough it feels less likely one is going to pull out the legs, too) and ball joint knees.  Effectively, enough to garner some solid poses and options, but not so much as the figure gets in its own way.  Paint apps are clean, though there are definitely places that collectors would want paint (the entire lower arm is black, even the forearms behind the gloves).  I’m not at all a fan of the cape material.  Haven’t really bought a “kids line” Batman in a while, but Spin Master’s offering felt “paper-ish” similar to ones I got from Batman model kits.  It doesn’t have much weight or flow and feels undersized.  At least they were courteous enough to leave a “back hole” in the cape to access the hole in the back (not that there is much out now that seems to make use of that provision).

The packaging is really nice.  After years of Hasbro and Mattel being so damn minimalistic, it's nice to see some "pizzaz" in styling and in adding attractive elements.  The mystery accessories add some nice teaser interest, and the first assortment has a "first edition" sticker.  Removing the tape, you get a removable "collector card" and access to the mystery accessories.  On the back is a basic image of the figure and introduces the "mission" elements.  There's also a "Creature Chaos" tag, which I'm assuming is something to identify this particular wave.

One concern I had was the "mystery weapons", but it seems they aren't THAT big a mystery.  Included is an actual PRODUCT CATALOG of sorts.  Turns out each figure in this wave can have 2 different versions.  The only difference being the "mission card" and the mystery accessories.  Plus there exists "Super Rare" Batman and Robin variants.  But in defense of the practice, each figure seems to have at least one, or two, character-centric accessory(s) so each figure DOES have a basic accessory that isn't weirdly colored that ties into the character.

In my case, I got the "Carnival Chaos" version of Rebirth Batman, which had a (large) black Batarang, a neon orange grappling gun thing, and a pair of neon green blades that could form a shield.

The big thing that has captivated me about this new line is that, despite being the "kids toys", Spin Masters is doing a LOT of "collector things" that I haven't seen Mattel do over the past 20 years.  Things even Hasbro has moved away from in a LOT of its lines, especially the licensed stuff.  This $8 figure was well articulated, had several accessories (and colorations aside, generally decent/appropriate accessories) and featured cross promotion elements and incentives to buy more toys.  Cross sells have all but disappeared in Hasbro's products, but this little toy came with a little fold out detailing ALL the figures in the assortment and the possible variations you might get.  Just telling consumers the characters available is HUGE given how I've observed Mattel and Hasbro.

Spin Masters has also nailed the figure selection for a first assortment.  Instead of ONE villain and ONE sidekick and 4 Rainbow Batmen...we have 2 distinct version of Batman, 2 different sidekick characters, and 2 villains.  It sounds simple, but it is a HUGE improvement over what Mattel has done with the franchise.  If these characters were the make up of an assortment of 6" collector figures...I think it would be well received.

Seeing the industry (especially among the bigger players) split so aggressively over what's "for kids" and "for adults", Spin Master's line feels like it hit a WONDERFUL middle ground between the two.  Despite the stylization, they hit decent versions of characters thus far.  The mystery elements encourage repeat purchases, but you never feel like Spin Masters is taking advantage over the system.

I'm eager to see where they take this license later in the year when the broader DC figures start rolling out.

Edited by Steevy Maximus, 12 January 2020 - 11:21 PM.

#1155 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4915 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:28 PM

I was also bemused by the fact Walmart still hasn’t reset its aisles completely, so the Batman section featured a mix of Mattel and Spin Masters product.  I didn’t even realize that there were 2 different 12” figures out, and using the similar branding, didn’t even recognize McFarlane’s DC Multiverse figures as being different than Mattel’s leftovers.

I have to wonder if the similar packaging design was dictated by WB, since even I, a super nerd collector, had issues discerning the products from 3 different companies.

#1156 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4915 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:22 PM

Local Walmart finally put out a case of the "side character" assortment, and it appears that Killer Croc might be a chase figure in that assortment.  He's also given the "Creature Chaos" and lacks any mention of missions like the chase version of Batman (which was navy blue and black).

I'm not sure if it is an exclusive or not, but I saw at Walmart a 3 pack of figures: Killer Croc, Robin and Batman.  Batman sports an olive green base color, but Robin is the same as the single card.  Killer Croc features additional paint apps not seen on the single pack figure (the wraps on his arms are painted, but left unpainted on the single release).

There's also Target exclusive single figures of Batman (all black) and King Shark (a single packing of the deluxe assortment figure).

Again, I really dig this line, and I'm glad to see Spin Masters willing to be flexible and give some of the bulkier figures space in the single figure assortment.  Worth noting that Robin is the same height as Nightwing and Batman if that bothers some.

Also coming this spring is a deluxe figure assortment, similar to the "olden days" of such.  Nightwing, King Shark, and Batman each have some big ex0-suit gear.  Nightwing looks unchanged, but Batman is sporting a classic blue and grey styling.

I just LOVE of Spin Masters has launched this line.  There's plenty of Batman, but few feel overly "out of place" for the character (the green/yellow 3 pack is about the worst I've seen, and that still pales to the kind of figures Mattel and even Hasbro did in the past).  By splitting the characters across two assortments, it gives ample opportunities to get a variety of figures on shelves (when we'd be stuck with weird Bat-variants in the past).  The variety has been pretty spot on.  In just the initial "push", you not only have Batman options, but you have The Joker, Robin, Nightwing, Killer Croc, King Shark, ManBat, and Clayface ALL basically available right now in the core line.  Just having more than one or two villains is a HUGE boon over Mattel.

And if the 2" blind packs are anything to go by, the next round might include Batgirl, Red Hood, Bane, Scarecrow and Harley Quinn with a possible single packed Clayface.

#1157 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9444 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

https://toynewsi.com/10-35433

Another wave of Spin Master 4" figures includes Killer Moth and Batwoman as singles, Aquaman vs. Black Manta, Flash vs. Gorilla Grodd, and Superman vs. Darkseid.

I got lucky once and found a freshly stocked Target and got most of what I wanted, but every other Target and Walmart I've seen has pegs full of Batmen and nothing else.

#1158 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4915 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

https://toynewsi.com/10-35433

Another wave of Spin Master 4" figures includes Killer Moth and Batwoman as singles, Aquaman vs. Black Manta, Flash vs. Gorilla Grodd, and Superman vs. Darkseid.

I got lucky once and found a freshly stocked Target and got most of what I wanted, but every other Target and Walmart I've seen has pegs full of Batmen and nothing else.

Again, I have to give props to Spin Masters on character variety.  Those two packs are a GREAT means of getting hero and villain variety out on pegs, and the inclusion of a Killer Moth and Batwoman so soon speaks to their willingness to dig deeper than Mattel has ever bothered to do for the kids segment.

I'd give it time on the stocking.  My local store had the Batman assortment out before before the secondary characters.  Wouldn't surprise me if there exists some confusion that stores are receiving two different assortments for the Batman line.

#1159 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8169 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:54 AM

has mcfarlane gotten better at making toys?

The very first one I bought (comic-version Superman) had a broken hip right out of the box, so...I dunno.

In fairness, the replacement seems nice and solid.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/
And a fic thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/169332-do-no-harm-first-aid/

#1160 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9507 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:01 PM

So a while back there was a group of new Batman figures called the Adventure Continues solicited for release in April, and had New Adventures of Batman styled figures of Batman, Joker, Harley, Robin and then a list of characters never done in the DCAU. Azreal Batman, Dark Knight Returns Armor Batman, Deathstroke, and Red Hood/ Jason Todd.

https://www.bigbadto...ntures Continue

Seems a few more have been added since I looked yesterday too. Also noticed that the new Catwoman and Joker are in their original BTAS looks.

Anyways they are putting these out as they publish a new comic series set in the time after New Adventures but before the flashback events of Return of the Joker. Dini is writing so there could be more Bruce/Barbra involved. But Im curious to see how they adapt some of these other characters.

But come on they could just give Dini a show to keep it going and everyone would still be even happier.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users