Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 August 2019 - 04:10 AM)

Let me call on my friend Dr Rockso, the Rock 'n Roll Clown. (He does cocaine.)

@  Nutjob R/T : (20 August 2019 - 12:48 AM)

New crowdfunding project: We need to get enough nose candy for the Paramount execs to keep 'em up long enough to get DS9 squeezed out

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 04:36 PM)

They're hideously cheap. I'm just glad some decision maker in the upper echelons stayed high as a kite for long enough for us to get TOS, TNG and TAS on blu-ray

@  Rycochet : (19 August 2019 - 04:16 PM)

Paramount are kinda cheap and Ds9 isn't popular enough for them to go all out on a remaster.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:37 PM)

Or hell, they could just shorten a season of Discovery by 2-3 episodes and that'd pay for the DS9 remaster in full (assuming the 8 to 8.5 million per episode for Discovery that was reported a while back is accurate)

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Redoing some of the more simple effects like phasers and transporters and whatnot (basically what they've already had practice doing for TNG)

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 August 2019 - 03:30 PM)

They could scan and rebuild the film elements, and then upscale the original CGI only (provided it still exists as separate footage)

@  Dekafox : (19 August 2019 - 02:33 PM)

Basically its in the same situation as DS9 IIRC with loss of models and how the CGI was applied to the existing footage.

@  Dekafox : (19 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

Not gonna happen unless they recreate all the CGI from scratch, unfortunately. Or just upscale the broadcast masters, which would be basically pointless.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 August 2019 - 02:16 PM)

Babylon 5 must come to Blu Ray.

@  MEDdMI : (19 August 2019 - 07:28 AM)

Even in the winter, he has to clear the roads of snow.

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 August 2019 - 03:46 AM)

His work is never done.

@  Pennpenn : (19 August 2019 - 03:06 AM)

Everyone quickly gets sick of flubbing the name and collectively agree to just call the combiner "Roadworks"

@  Sabrblade : (18 August 2019 - 09:34 PM)

For some reason, I've always wanted to see a "Menastator", all five Stunticons and all six Constructicons in an 11-piece combiner.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The GIJOE Thread;

9740 replies to this topic

#1241 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7712 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Found the Retaliation Ninja 3-pack on clearance for $10 today at Target. I needed more Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow figures like I need an bunghole in middle of my forehead, but the Red Ninja makes a passable 30th Slice, and I've been hankering for that sugegasa. So $10 was a good enough price to make me forget that I wasn't going to buy into the Retaliation line.

Snake-Eyes sucks since he really can't hold his katana once you remove the band keeping it there.

#1242 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

I think the carded Red Ninja is far closer to Slice, but I seem to be in the minority as I've seen a lot of people say the 3-pack RN is their Slice. I wonder how much of that has to do with the readily-available mask... IMO the "temple" SE had a better mask.

Edited by Lukeblast, 21 July 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#1243 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jul 21 2012, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the carded Red Ninja is far closer to Slice, but I seem to be in the minority as I've seen a lot of people say the 3-pack RN is their Slice. I wonder how much of that has to do with the readily-available mask... IMO the "temple" SE had a better mask.

The 3-pack Red Ninja reminds a lot of people of the 2002 version of Slice, which is a favorite of many fans (especially since it gave him actual waist articulation).
It also helps to distinguish him FROM Red Ninjas.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#1244 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7994 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Holy crap, $10 is a dream of a deal. My Targets are still holding fast to full price.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#1245 Onyx Minor

Onyx Minor

Teporocho

• Staff
  • 11014 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(Sean Whitmore @ Jul 21 2012, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holy crap, $10 is a dream of a deal. My Targets are still holding fast to full price.

Same here. When I was in Austin, I saw them for $17, but I held off. I hope to get lucky.

#1246 Mecheon

Mecheon

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI

• Citizen
  • 1757 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jul 22 2012, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Snake Eyes can go from black to grey and with different masks, so I just say this is an update of Slice in the same vein

Sure its not perfect, but give him the mask and makes him look more like a unique character

#1247 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

See, Slice was red at first.
Then he was orange.
Then teal.
Then a hearty mixture of red and grey, which is the one people are reminded of here.
Then, two versions in white and black with a tiny bit of red.
It's not like Slice has been on a neverending trend of pure red versions.

There's also the fact that V1 Slice was a very vibrant shade of red, that the red on the 3-pack ninja matches better, compared to the dull red of the single-carded red ninja.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#1248 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 21 2012, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jul 21 2012, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 3-pack Red Ninja reminds a lot of people of the 2002 version of Slice, which is a favorite of many fans (especially since it gave him actual waist articulation).
It also helps to distinguish him FROM Red Ninjas.

I suppose if that's the mold that you're using for Red Ninjas...

I'm not telling anyone they play with their toys wrong; it's just a thing I was observing and tossing out to discuss. I had the first Slice figure for years and for me there's a lot of nostalgia in having him mostly red so the 3-pack one doesn't cut it. But again that's me, I was curious what thoughts others had.

#1249 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42299 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

For me it's two things:

1) I very much like the look of the black with the red. I think it just looks cooler than the red with black.

2) I didn't have the mask before I got the 3-pack.

So... While I know it's not accurate, I'm cool with settling.

#1250 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38863 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

I've been puzzling over why Dollar General Storm Shadow doesn't just use the second Storm Shadow mold/Ninja Viper head, since it's a good bit closer to the original Ninja Force figure. I popped on the Ninja Viper head and instantly discovered why- the balljoint socket is so high inside the head that it leaves the head with barely any range of motion and looks bizarre because the head is so low on the neck. Kind of a bummer.

Also wish he had that ridiculously long sword TRU Quick Kick came with, just 'cause.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#1251 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7712 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

I only had the original slice, and while 3-pack "Slice" would have been better off with the red and black switched on the torso and legs and had the mask black/silver instead of red/silver, I'm not going to split hairs over it. It's still a damn good representation for me.

And it's not like Hasbro is jumping through hoops to get us a 30th Slice anyway.

#1252 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

They were planning a Dice, though, which makes me think Slice was planned but ultimately shuffled over to the 3-pack as a Red Ninja. With Slice's mask.

#1253 Mecheon

Mecheon

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI

• Citizen
  • 1757 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 23 2012, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They were planning a Dice, though, which makes me think Slice was planned but ultimately shuffled over to the 3-pack as a Red Ninja. With Slice's mask.

Dice is being done by the Club eventually as part of the subscription figures, so he'll be able to be picked up too

#1254 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, but Hasbro's figure looks better.
And has Modern Ninja Ankles.

#1255 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7712 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

Looking at the YoJoe.com figure index, I just realised that the regular packed Red Ninja pretty much has the swapped colours to make a better Slice.

And to think that I passed on that figure I dunno how many times.

Oh well, I can always go about picking it up in 6 months or so.

#1256 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

The single-card red ninja's colors are too dull to be an accurate v1 Slice.
Especially if you're going to use the 3-pack ninja's mask on it. The red is much more vibrant much like the vibrant red that typically colors Slice (when he's red to begin with).

#1257 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Eh... I think you're really being picky on this "wrong shade of red" thing. And if one uses the mask from SE or paints the tassels for the accurate black, matching is not an issue.

#1258 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20599 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

I dunno, man. Is it any pickier than wanting him to remain the color he had for all of a year?

I could understand if Slice was a really obscure character who had his original toy and little else and never deviated from that deco...
But the only version of Slice that was never used in media was the Shadow Ninjas version.

On a ninja-related note, now that Retaliation gave us a more accurate (and really fun!) Kamakura, I'm wondering who I can repurpose the ROC version into...
Right now I'm looking at either Dojo (blue color, kusari-gama weapon) or Tiger Claw (on account of being a Kamakura repaint). Thoughts?

#1259 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 25 2012, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dunno, man. Is it any pickier than wanting him to remain the color he had for all of a year?

I could understand if Slice was a really obscure character who had his original toy and little else and never deviated from that deco...
But the only version of Slice that was never used in media was the Shadow Ninjas version.

I don't recall the orange or JvC versions ever being in media, and the newsculpt version was... what, a minor character in a couple of direct-to-videos? Never made an impression on me. A red-suited Slice has made the vast bulk of his already-limited fictional appearances.

Let me repeat myself: I'm not trying to argue with you or anyone else about this. I'm merely stating my preference and asking what others think. It's a curiosity, a conversation, a discussion. Please stop trying to convince me that I play with my toys wrong, and please stop acting like I'm forcing my preferences on everyone. This could have been a neat little tangent before all the potential for fun was sucked out of it.

#1260 Onyx Minor

Onyx Minor

Teporocho

• Staff
  • 11014 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

So, just in case you have not tried it, the VvV Jinx blindfold looks great on the white SDCC figure. I'll try to post pics later, and I will try it on the red Jinx when she arrives. icon-ironhide.gif

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users