Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM)

It's like drawing someone in the "superhero landing" pose. It's just part of the cultural vocabulary at this point.

@  Arazyr : (25 June 2019 - 07:14 PM)

I can hear that post... *shudder*

@  B-Fox : (25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM)

So why does Cyberverse sound like . . . *that*?

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 June 2019 - 10:44 AM)

Only if you ask nicely, Silv.

@  RichardT1977 : (21 June 2019 - 09:42 AM)

1998 Zilla is the Gaijin era.

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9674 replies to this topic

#1081 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

The only figure I'm less than thrilled about is Snake-Eyes, but I have a figure that could really use that webgear. And I can just use the body for fodder thanks to it being a nice basic body base.

Everything else is killer.
(but then again I'm one of those guys that likes ninjas in Joe)

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#1082 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

I noticed that the guy driving the redone Water Moccasin looked similar to the old Mega Viper, and so I've been doing some thinking.

If Hasbro was to redeco the driver figures as generics, would that take the sting off their not having quite so many joints?

The Water Moccasin guy could be redone as a Mega Viper and given the bolt-action rifle from the Indiana Jones line (the card would say it's a tranquilizer gun).

Cobra Commander could be redone in red, silver, and yellow as a Crimson Guard Immortal; he could have a nice shotgun or sub-machine gun.

Duke could be redone in white & olive as a generic Joe pilot; I'm thinking he'd have an Uzi and a tactical knife.

Snake-Eyes could be given the head from Beach-Head or Shockwave and be a generic Joe covert ops guy; he'd also get the Uzi and tactical knife.

They wouldn't be "named" characters any longer, and so wouldn't really need to be quite so dynamic.

#1083 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4461 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Jun 16 2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed that the guy driving the redone Water Moccasin looked similar to the old Mega Viper, and so I've been doing some thinking.

If Hasbro was to redeco the driver figures as generics, would that take the sting off their not having quite so many joints?

They wouldn't be "named" characters any longer, and so wouldn't really need to be quite so dynamic.

The issue at the Joe boards has ALWAYS been the lack of articulation. Named character or generics, the underlying frustration is that GI Joe has been noted for having quite a bit of articulation (even on the vehicle drivers), and these figures lack that. The fact they feature some pretty kick ass designs is just salt on the wound.

#1084 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

^This.

If they repainted that piece o crap CC into the ONLY MODERN VERSION of CG Immortal, a million voices would cry out in pain and then stop (when their heads exploded). The nerd rage would be legen.... wait for it

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1085 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, the Mocassin driver is already a "generic", doesn't remove the stigma any.

I love the design on Cobra Commander, it's a crime he ended up that way.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#1086 MightyMegs

MightyMegs
  • Citizen
  • 4234 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jun 16 2012, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, the Mocassin driver is already a "generic", doesn't remove the stigma any.

I love the design on Cobra Commander, it's a crime he ended up that way.

The Retaliation driver CC is actually a body from the cancelled Howler from ROC. It is shown having articulation... but I don't know if molds were ever cut for it... but it gives me hope.

Edited by MightyMegs, 16 June 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#1087 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Huh.
I never drew the connection.

Which is weird, because I was looking at the slideshow that photo was in just last week.

Truth be told, if molds had been cut, we probably would've seen some semblance of physical evidence of the toy. Kwinn's been put on indefinite hiatus but production samples have still surfaced.

#1088 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

... dary.

I wonder how close the reds are between that upcoming red Cobra Paratrooper figure and the Swamp Viper from the Fang boat. If I could do a LBC headswap I might consider picking it up because his helmet looks good.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1089 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

Whose helmet, Swamp-Viper's or Invasion Trooper's?

#1090 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:29 PM

Swamp Viper head on Invasion Trooper body.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1091 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

Ah.

Could work.
Personally I already have the ROC Sting Raider so I have little use for the Fang Boat.

#1092 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:46 PM

Yeah - in reality I imagine I'll pick one of the new ones up when it lands in ROSS and then just see what kind of torso will work with the driver's head.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1093 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

Did some fix-ups on my DG Shipwreck... painted the neck and the belt and the leg straps, swapped the Renegades pistol for Renegades Ripcord's holster (mostly for Ripcord's sake, he needed a Renegades handgun, not a teal "real" handgun!) and threw on some ROC Shipwreck gear for completedness.

#1094 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:07 AM

Storm Shadow really rocks the straw hat.

StormShadowStrawHat.JPG

#1095 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

"Chin Ku's Deadly Sword! I'll have to use Billy's Jeet Kwan Do style!"

#1096 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4461 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

So, hey, apparently Sideshow's SDCC GI Joe item this year is Lt. Falcon!

Sideshows are usually higher than my budget allows, but he looks snazzy, and I view him as pretty unlikely to get a figure before more of the 82-86 guys.

#1097 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(SDCC Prices)
GI Joe Shockwave HISS Tank - $59.99
GI Joe Kim Arashikage - $14.99

These make no sense to me... the mega-limited exclusive Jinx set is less than two figures at retail. The mega-limited exclusive set that adds in a $25 vehicle is... well, about what I expect the price to be, but just makes the crazy-low Jinx price even more confusing.

#1098 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jun 23 2012, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(SDCC Prices)
GI Joe Shockwave HISS Tank - $59.99
GI Joe Kim Arashikage - $14.99

These make no sense to me... the mega-limited exclusive Jinx set is less than two figures at retail. The mega-limited exclusive set that adds in a $25 vehicle is... well, about what I expect the price to be, but just makes the crazy-low Jinx price even more confusing.

I can't remember what Zarana cost last year - I think Jinx is the same.

It is frustrating because it's Hasbro missing the boat again. They could charge twenty bucks and make a few more for HTS and still come out ahead. I'm glad she's reasonably priced, but it will make it all the more annoying to pay forty to fifty on Ebay.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#1099 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

...wow, that Jinx set is cheap. Anyone going to SDCC willing to pick me up one?

#1100 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

It's not a set, it's just one figure. The other is the chase. Like with camopants Slaughter or Cold Slither Zarana.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users