Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

@  Gryllid : (19 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

There is. It's called "SDCC 2019 thread"

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:24 PM)

no general SDCC thread?

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9689 replies to this topic

#61 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18904 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

That's what I don't get. Hasbro said to make him closer to the original would confuse him with Law and I don't quite see how. The blue-gray pants would be the only similarity. Surefire could still have the brown vest (though I think the Cobra SWAT/Steel Brigade vest would've been a better choice) and he needed a green shirt with LONG sleeves. He would've been plenty different from Law. Further more, why would Hasbro care that a tiny run, specialty figure looked like their main retail fig? It's not like people are going to say, "hmmm... I was going to by Law and Order at retail, but that expensive, subscription only Club figure looks the same so I'll buy him instead."

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#62 Monzo

Monzo

The Weirdest Fan Experience

• Citizen
  • 2201 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Dake, I don't profess to have any insight into this situation, but I imagine it was probably the reverse: if a fan-oriented collector's figure is too similar to a retail figure, people are going to complain, because they'd be paying more for something 3/4ths similar to what they can already buy at retail. It would be the equivalent of BotCon doing - I don't know, a G2 Jazz from RtS Jazz. A ~$60 figure in the same colors but with some slightly different detailing as a toy you can buy for $10? There would be endless grousing.

Edited by Monzo, 13 November 2011 - 04:24 PM.

#63 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16965 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE(Monzo @ Nov 13 2011, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dake, I don't profess to have any insight into this situation, but I imagine it was probably the reverse: if a fan-oriented collector's figure is too similar to a retail figure, people are going to complain, because they'd be paying more for something 3/4ths similar to what they can already buy at retail. It would be the equivalent of BotCon doing - I don't know, a G2 Jazz from RtS Jazz. A ~$60 figure in the same colors but with some slightly different detailing as a toy you can buy for $10? There would be endless grousing.

But...I'd want that.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#64 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40045 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:28 PM

Maybe a better example is something that already exists, BotCon 2005 Deathsaurus. Not different enough from the toy you could get on eBay for $20, so demand wasn't particularly high.

#65 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16965 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

Thinking about that mold used as a Botcon toy only gets me jonezing for it to be used as BW Megs one day. Oh dreams.

I do see Hasbro's logic here though. They're not ALWAYS out to "get us."

#66 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18904 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(Monzo @ Nov 13 2011, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see what you're saying but I guess in this instance it could've still been plenty different. The brown vest vs Law's gray plus long sleeves would make quite a difference - he'd really only be like 1/4 or maybe 1/3 similar icon-arcee.gif . Of course, we're going to gripe anyway as fans but still... what can ya do?

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#67 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20582 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Nov 13 2011, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, this is how Sure Fire looks in the Club fiction:

Heh, that panel is like a tamer version of Rob Liefeld's infamous Captain America pinup, looking at the angle the chest is drawn in vs. his head, arms and lower body.

DAVID LANE TOLD YOU TO POST THAT DIDN'T HE???????????

Probably not, but I'm okay with it. I'm always up to hearing about Joe fiction and considering how non-existant discussion is elsewhere I'm totally up to hearing more about it.

All in all, though, putting aside the character itself and the person behind him, I always liked the v2 colors better.
But IMO the Law parts just don't lend themselves well to that color scheme. Dake's idea about using the Shock Trooper vest and some long sleeves would've worked.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#68 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65135 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

I haven't read any of the most recent stuff but I really enjoyed the Big Lob stint last year (or was it the year before) and the last convention comic. All were very good and quite enjoyable.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#69 Agent X

Agent X

These Ponies are holding on my heart like a handgrenade.

• Citizen
  • 2400 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

Maybe next round of 12, they can do Agent Faces.
"Some people collect other characters like Jazz or Hot Shot and its encouraged, but I stockpile Cybertron Crosswises and that makes ME the strange one."

#70 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(Agent X @ Nov 14 2011, 03:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe next round of 12, they can do Agent Faces.

"...'sup?"

(my own custom, not a preview that got missed. icon-arcee.gif )

Edited by Lukeblast, 14 November 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#71 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:25 AM

I just got the November issue of the Joe Mag, and after realizing that I wasn't the only person feeling there's a lack of discussion about the Joe Club fiction, I decided it was high time to do something about it! Given that 7 of the 16 pages are comics (and because I wanted to give it an ongoing thread all to itself), I put it in the comics forum.

Go here to talk about it, or just find out what's in it!

#72 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42251 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

Cover Girl was just revealed!

A-yup. That's a personal "must get"!

Attached Thumbnails

• covergirl2web.jpg

#73 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Nov 15 2011, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cover Girl was just revealed!

A-yup. That's a personal "must get"!

Not for me. That face sculpt really doesn't look right.

#74 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42251 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

It looks pretty much the same as the 2006 Cover Girl

http://www.yojoe.com...eykrieger.shtml

#75 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65135 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

My brother has Sparta, so she has the jacket that Sparta lacks, lighter hair, lighter outfit and a white shirt instead of green IIRC?

Looks nice, and it looks like they tried to combine the red hair with the blond hair for the strawberry blonde look.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#76 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42251 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Nov 15 2011, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My brother has Sparta, so she has the jacket that Sparta lacks, lighter hair, lighter outfit and a white shirt instead of green IIRC?

Looks nice, and it looks like they tried to combine the red hair with the blond hair for the strawberry blonde look.

Randy

Sparta has a green belt and boots as well. Cover Girl's gone with brown instead.

CG also has the extra belt with the pouch.

Edited by NightViper, 15 November 2011 - 03:13 PM.

#77 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16965 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

Damn it. Damn it. This subscription service is winning me over more than its pushing me away.

#78 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18904 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Covergirl is not bad, but I really hate the "skinny leg" uniform pants they gave all the RoC females. I'm thinking of swapping this head onto my Covergirl and then putting a different head on this one with new lower legs to make an ARAH accurate short-hair CG. Also, that head looks really familiar - I swear I've seen customs using it, is it from a Marvel female?

Edited by Dake, 15 November 2011 - 03:21 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#79 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42251 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Dake @ Nov 15 2011, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, that head looks really familiar - I swear I've seen customs using it, is it from a Marvel female?

QUOTE(NightViper @ Nov 15 2011, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks pretty much the same as the 2006 Cover Girl

http://www.yojoe.com...eykrieger.shtml

It's definitely the same hair at least.

Edited by NightViper, 15 November 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#80 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4500 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Nov 15 2011, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's definitely the same hair at least.

I think, like Barrel Roll and jinx, the Club is taking new sculpt heads and reworking them to make them capatible with 25th/ME construction. I would be VERY surprised if the club did any major changes to the Sparta tooling itself.

I do like they made the effort to make Cover Girl a bit more unique than "the other redhead"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users