Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Arazyr : (25 June 2019 - 07:14 PM)

I can hear that post... *shudder*

@  B-Fox : (25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM)

So why does Cyberverse sound like . . . *that*?

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 June 2019 - 10:44 AM)

Only if you ask nicely, Silv.

@  RichardT1977 : (21 June 2019 - 09:42 AM)

1998 Zilla is the Gaijin era.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 June 2019 - 01:59 AM)

Alpha Q?

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9674 replies to this topic

#581 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7697 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

Zombies are great.

Attached Thumbnails

• za01.JPG

#582 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Yay for zombies. Still, and likely to remain, the most unexpected Joe figure ever.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#583 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16861 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, once you reach a certain level you lose your greenshirt and get to invade cobra compounds dressed as a basketball player.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#584 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Exactly! icon-fire.gif

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#585 BHFlint

BHFlint

Bork!

• Retired Staff
  • 30666 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 31 2012, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, once you reach a certain level you lose your greenshirt and get to invade cobra compounds dressed as a basketball player.

NICE.

#586 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 31 2012, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In real life, some special forces units have traditionally slacked off a bit on the dress code and discipline while in the field; the commanders let such things slide as a way of letting the men vent between missions.

For example, last year I read a book written by a guy who was LRRP back in Vietnam. His unit commander allowed the soldiers to wear boonie caps while they were in the field (think what '88 Muskrat was wearing) rather than their helmets. When his LRRP unit was disbanded and he had to go back to a regular army unit, that was one of the biggest initial hang-ups: having to go back to wearing a helmet.

In that sense, the Joe team might just be exaggerating things a little.

Some guys wear uniforms that are solidly military (Falcon, Flash, Grand Slam), some wear uniforms that are realistically military (Duke, Clutch, Snake-Eyes), some wear mixed civilian and military pieces (Bazooka, Law), and some guys just don't care (Chuckles, Big Lob).

Either way, this degree of individuality is allowed in exchange for the soldiers to feel more comfortable and to blow steam given the more dangerous nature of their operations.

#587 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Mar 30 2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The concept of greenshirts defeats the purpose of this elite, code-named team of Joes. As far as the FLAGG and whatever else, the way I figure it... there're no Greenshirts, all those gunner's mates and those petty officers and whatever else are all Joes with their unique attires and codenames we just haven't been introduced to.

The comics had greenshirts too, particularly DDP, which firmly canonized the "promotion to code name" idea that Marvel had hinted at. I'm pretty sure only IDW has fully done without. As others have said, you need a support staff and "grunts" to handle a lot of your operation. The Joe team is the best of the best, but it's logistically impossible to have an operation as big as theirs that is ONLY the best of the best. Let's be honest, most military occupations don't even HAVE a best of the best, so one guy with the right training will be as good as another. Giving the "warm bodies" codenames is rather insulting to the guys who had to earn their names with their blood (literally).

Code-naming your file clerks is dumb from a storytelling perspective alone. Invariably the only point at which the reader becomes aware that the person HAS a name is when they die. That's basically what IDW is doing, and it's a pointless exercise. You know what the difference is between offing a mess cook and offing a Joe mess cook who is code-named "Chow"? Nothing. When the "new names" buy it in a firefight the "established" Joes may as well just be shouting random words for all the effect it has. In practice, I find that playing "everyone is named" just leads to the reader caring less as they roll their eyes at the latest round of silly names that are introduced only to die.

In-story, having something like a tank battalion ready to deploy at a moment's notice means you have a battalion of guys who are the best of the best at driving a tank (which seems like a ridiculous loss to the armed forces "pool" the Joes draw from) who don't get any facetime anyway. Alternatively, the guys who are the best of the best at other stuff are wasting their time driving tanks when that's an actual military MOS that could be fulfilled by better-qualified/trained people--best of the best nothin', the guy right out of training is probably a better tank driver than Flint. Amusingly, this is ALSO something that IDW has played with, where Steeler is recruited to the Joes because he's an awesome squad leader but is made a tank commander, a job that he hates and wasn't qualified for in the first place.

Rank also becomes an issue. Although in-story rank has always been somewhat malleable (fans have spent years debating whether Duke, a top sergeant, should be field commander over ranking officers), the fact of the matter is that without grunts you begin to lose any variety in your troops. Putting eight guys who are all qualified to be squad leaders together in the field is just asking for problems and is a waste of their abilities, because at least half of them are just going to be there to hold a gun. It's the basic "too many chiefs, not enough Indians" problem. Again, the armed forces is also losing all these top-flight men, so it does no favors to anyone.

Recruiting people "with potential" from the armed forces to serve in basic capacities and/or get elite field training to mold them into code-named Joes makes more sense both in and out of the fiction. Greenshirts put the right people in the right places without equating necessary functions like finance clerk or basic infantry trooper with the guys who earned codenames by being the best of the best.

#588 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38613 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Dake @ Mar 30 2012, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(NightViper @ Mar 30 2012, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It still looks good, but I think I prefer the blue gas mask and shoulder cape to the tan ones.

It is a rather dramatic change. I wonder if what we saw originally was just a proto mask and cape or they changed it after the fact because everyone thought it was a Spytroops homage?

Since Cobra's color has slid back to being blue instead of black for Retailiation*, I'm pretty sure the cape and helmet were changed so he'd be distinguishable as a Joe.

*Best typo ever.

Edited by Spark, 01 April 2012 - 03:49 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#589 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Apr 1 2012, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Code-naming your file clerks is dumb

And yet, Jinx.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#590 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Apr 1 2012, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And yet, Jinx.

Actually, a lot of Joes have mundane secondary MOSes:

Cutter - special services (swimming coach)

Footloose - special services (basketball coach)

Shockwave - choir

Effects - cook

Dusty - refrigeration repair technician

Thunder - drummer

Heavy Metal - finance (accounting)

Alpine - finance (accounting)

Airborne - lawyer (tertiary MOS, but...)

For characters like Jinx, Dusty, or Shockwave, their secondaries would give them an excuse to get to places without arousing suspicion. For example, if Jinx needs to infiltrate a facility to check suspected Cobra activity, she can go in the guise of the new finance clerk.

Then for guys like Thunder or Effects, their secondary is a commentary on their character or something similar.

For guys like Cutter or Footloose, Hama was probably just running out of ideas and wanted to do something different.

What's more, one can imagine that there would be a number of Joes with implied secondary and tertiary MOSes, such as the ground vehicle operators also being trained to do basic maintenance on their rides or some of the sharpshooters having a degree of training as armorers.

#591 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

You know what the difference is between offing a mess cook and offing a Joe mess cook who is code-named "Chow"?

I dunno, but I think it ends with you calling Roadblock "sir". icon-fire.gif

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#592 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Apr 1 2012, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yet, Jinx.

That's not her primary MOS, and it's highly useful to her in said primary MOS.

I'm not saying that none of the Joes have the more "mundane" skill sets that I speak of... but there's damn good reasons it's not all they do, or even the first thing they do.

#593 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Apr 1 2012, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Detour @ Mar 30 2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The concept of greenshirts defeats the purpose of this elite, code-named team of Joes. As far as the FLAGG and whatever else, the way I figure it... there're no Greenshirts, all those gunner's mates and those petty officers and whatever else are all Joes with their unique attires and codenames we just haven't been introduced to.

The comics had greenshirts too, particularly DDP, which firmly canonized the "promotion to code name" idea that Marvel had hinted at. I'm pretty sure only IDW has fully done without. As others have said, you need a support staff and "grunts" to handle a lot of your operation. The Joe team is the best of the best, but it's logistically impossible to have an operation as big as theirs that is ONLY the best of the best. Let's be honest, most military occupations don't even HAVE a best of the best, so one guy with the right training will be as good as another. Giving the "warm bodies" codenames is rather insulting to the guys who had to earn their names with their blood (literally).

I actually had an idea for an issue of the comic book dealing with something like that.

The issue would follow a seaman named Marco as he tries to service a Devilfish that's been flagged as having a faulty safety mechanism on one of the machine guns. The Joes - and other sailors - assigned to the Flagg regard him fairly well, but as a vehicle maintenance person he's not exactly going to be getting any of the lime light any time soon. And just to add insult to injury, every time he tries to service the thing someone needs to take it out, such as Topside needing it to go deal with a Cobra supply convoy or Wet-Suit having to help repel the inevitable counter-attack.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Marco's being a maintenance guy and the Devilfish never getting fixed would play into the punchline for the issue. An Eel manages to get on board during the counter-attack, and it takes him so long to make it down to the maintenance bay that Wet-Suit's already returned and docked the Devilfish. The Eel gets the idea to plant a C4 charge on the machine, but inadvertently sets off the weapon, causing the bullets to ricochet around in the bay. The Eel is so stunned by his close call that he fails to note Marco running up until it's too late. Marco manages to clobber the guy with a large wrench just as Topside and Wet-Suit dart down to investigate the noise. In recognition of his having captured an Eel, the two men give him an unofficial codename and declare him an honorary member of the Joe team.

#594 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42194 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE(Spark @ Apr 1 2012, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Dake @ Mar 30 2012, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(NightViper @ Mar 30 2012, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It still looks good, but I think I prefer the blue gas mask and shoulder cape to the tan ones.

It is a rather dramatic change. I wonder if what we saw originally was just a proto mask and cape or they changed it after the fact because everyone thought it was a Spytroops homage?

Since Cobra's color has slid back to being blue instead of black for Retailiation*, I'm pretty sure the cape and helmet were changed so he'd be distinguishable as a Joe.

*Best typo ever.

Yeah, I understand why they did it. But I liked the blue and green better than the green and tan.

It pretty much goes from "Oh! Colors I like! I'll probably buy that!" to "Well, that's kinda drab now. Still a cool design but... he'll most likely be a pass."

#595 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Apr 2 2012, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually had an idea for an issue of the comic book dealing with something like that.

The issue would follow a seaman named Marco as he tries to service a Devilfish that's been flagged as having a faulty safety mechanism on one of the machine guns. The Joes - and other sailors - assigned to the Flagg regard him fairly well, but as a vehicle maintenance person he's not exactly going to be getting any of the lime light any time soon. And just to add insult to injury, every time he tries to service the thing someone needs to take it out, such as Topside needing it to go deal with a Cobra supply convoy or Wet-Suit having to help repel the inevitable counter-attack.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Marco's being a maintenance guy and the Devilfish never getting fixed would play into the punchline for the issue. An Eel manages to get on board during the counter-attack, and it takes him so long to make it down to the maintenance bay that Wet-Suit's already returned and docked the Devilfish. The Eel gets the idea to plant a C4 charge on the machine, but inadvertently sets off the weapon, causing the bullets to ricochet around in the bay. The Eel is so stunned by his close call that he fails to note Marco running up until it's too late. Marco manages to clobber the guy with a large wrench just as Topside and Wet-Suit dart down to investigate the noise. In recognition of his having captured an Eel, the two men give him an unofficial codename and declare him an honorary member of the Joe team.

Not trying to be snarky, but why spoiler tag your fanfic idea? icon-fire.gif

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#596 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7930 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

That Joe Trooper looks great, though I'd have preferred a soft cape.

In toy form, at least, generics serve a very important purpose. They're there to be killed! Storm Shadow and Zartan come with these awesome blades, they gotta end up in someone's head.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#597 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

It's a tough call. Soft goods almost never look right. They haven't made an Emperor yet who doesn't look doofy with a soft-goods robe. If it's carefully held in place by molded plastic bits, it can kind of work, but I don't think it would look right on this guy.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#598 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE(Dake @ Apr 2 2012, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Apr 2 2012, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HIGHLIGHT to view:

Not trying to be snarky, but why spoiler tag your fanfic idea? icon-fire.gif

In before "SPOILER TAGS PLEASE!".

#599 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38613 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

...No one's going to ask for spoiler tags on something that doesn't exist to be spoiled.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#600 Moroboshi

Moroboshi

Longtime member, sometimes lurker

• Citizen
  • 942 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm thankful for the change in color; from the blue, I thought that the cape and mask were gonna be for a Cobra disguise! Now I get that it's just more gear.

Edited by Moroboshi, 02 April 2012 - 06:38 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users