Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Benbot : (26 June 2019 - 03:27 PM)

new episodes are up?

@  Boomhauer : (26 June 2019 - 01:30 PM)

The voice acting bothers me less than the weird-as-hell timing on the action. Entire show feels like its paced like a internet cartoon.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM)

It's like drawing someone in the "superhero landing" pose. It's just part of the cultural vocabulary at this point.

@  Arazyr : (25 June 2019 - 07:14 PM)

I can hear that post... *shudder*

@  B-Fox : (25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM)

So why does Cyberverse sound like . . . *that*?

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9674 replies to this topic

#41 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE(Dake @ Nov 11 2011, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow - so much drama in such a short post. And I don't know a thing about any of it (nor do I need to know thank you, that's half the battle I could care less about). icon-fire.gif icon-fire.gif

Suffice it to say it's a pretty dull figure on its own merits. Though, isn't that head just Bench Press with a lighter brown goatee instead of the dark brown beard? Sure looks like him anyway.

I was there at the time, and so I witnessed the carnage first-hand.

The long and short of it is that, due to the circumstances behind the decision to make the 2001 figures Surefire and Big Brawler into homages, a very large percentage of the active Joe fandom at the time erupted in a ball of fury at both Hasbro and the people being homaged because they felt personally offended.

It was really, really ugly, and as such for the purposes of my own Joe-Verse I quite promptly rewrote their file cards to tone them both down.

#42 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE(Steevy Maximus @ Nov 11 2011, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do tend to agree with Detour on principle here.

Of the still hundreds of characters left undone (and most will probably NEVER be touched by Hasbro), we get a remake of a vanity figure with a new headsculpt and some of the newest ranges of tooling we know about (he uses parts from the Law figure THAT HASN'T EVEN BEEN RELEASED). With all the tooling available (ish), we couldn't get Nunchuck, Dart, Heavy Duty, Hi-Tech, or (considering how much arctic stuff Hasbro has done over the past 4 years) a decent V1 Frostbite (who would just need a new head)?

Not only that, but I just don't think the product is very good. For the trends collectors have been clamoring for (grounded, PoC like colors and aesthetics), Sure Fire really sticks out as being excessively bright in color

To me, though, if we get a DEF Shockwave out of the deal I'd be willing to go along with it.

If nothing else, replace the greens with a mix of dark blues & the figure would fit in with the movie aesthetics.

#43 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Nov 11 2011, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was there at the time, and so I witnessed the carnage first-hand.

The long and short of it is that, due to the circumstances behind the decision to make the 2001 figures Surefire and Big Brawler into homages, a very large percentage of the active Joe fandom at the time erupted in a ball of fury at both Hasbro and the people being homaged because they felt personally offended.

It was really, really ugly, and as such for the purposes of my own Joe-Verse I quite promptly rewrote their file cards to tone them both down.

That's only a fragment of David Lane's infamy, though.

You see, back in the 90's and early double-0's, a fan named Rod Hannah ran a website called Zartan's Domain. The website also featured a public message board. Meanwhile, David Lane ran a fanclub called the Steel Brigade fanclub, which had been around for a few years and while it wasn't an official fanclub, Hasbro did recognize its existence. It had a rep for being quite elitist, picking and choosing its members among other things.
When a random member of the Zartan's Domain message board posted his personal thoughts on the SB club, Lane basically tried to pass himself off as Hasbro itself and slap Rod with pretend C&Ds and even threatened Rod's ISP.

And then there's 2006, when the Convention set got that horrible, poor quality Cobra Mortal that was essentially a straight remake of the original except with swivel arms (something the Club had never done before or since!) basically because Mr. Lane, despite being one of those "higher-end" fans with the budget, didn't want to spring for the classic one.

If nothing else, replace the greens with a mix of dark blues & the figure would fit in with the movie aesthetics.

The Club claims that Hasbro didn't let them use the original blue/black colors because Hasbro said it'd make it too similar to Law. But considering how they had earlier claimed Hasbro wouldn't let them use recent tooling only to pull this BS on us, well...

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#44 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42195 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Nov 12 2011, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Club claims that Hasbro didn't let them use the original blue/black colors because Hasbro said it'd make it too similar to Law. But considering how they had earlier claimed Hasbro wouldn't let them use recent tooling only to pull this BS on us, well...

Well, what molds Fun Pub can or can't use fluctuates all the time. What's true for one figure might not be true for the next.

But making the colors the same as the retail version of the mold? That's pretty much always going to be avoided.

#45 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Nov 12 2011, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, what molds Fun Pub can or can't use fluctuates all the time. What's true for one figure might not be true for the next.

I find it very hard to believe that they could be in the middle of doing these subscription figures and all of a sudden Hasbro would be all "Hey, you guys can use our newest toolings!" right as they got to Sure Fire.
To get approval for such a system, it seems more likely that they'd submitted all 13 figure ideas at once.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#46 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18800 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

How about a change up? I may be late to the party but I saw this over at Hisstank and thought it deserved a spot here.

AMazing Collection:

Edited by Dake, 12 November 2011 - 02:19 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#47 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

Here's the drama as I understand it...

Club: Hey, here's a figure of a fourth-stringer we've been featuring in our fiction for a few years now.

Half the fandom: HOW DARE YOU. This is a source of a great and terrible angst because of some internet crap that happened a decade ago on message boards that either don't exist or are no longer relevant, but we will not let go of.

The other half: We have mixed reactions dependent on feelings regarding the actual figure.

Additionally, here at the Allspark...

Detour: The Club is always lying to us and saving the best for their own stuff!

NightViper: It doesn't work the way you think it does, and there's some good reasons why some of the things you want don't happen.

Detour: Yeah? Well you're wrong. It clearly works the way I say it does.

#48 Monzo

Monzo

The Weirdest Fan Experience

• Citizen
  • 2201 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Nov 12 2011, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And then there's 2006, when the Convention set got that horrible, poor quality Cobra Mortal that was essentially a straight remake of the original except with swivel arms (something the Club had never done before or since!) basically because Mr. Lane, despite being one of those "higher-end" fans with the budget, didn't want to spring for the classic one.

And the crime in wanting the fandom at large to have the chance to get a cheaper copy of an extraordinarily rare, extraordinarily expensive figure that Hasbro would never redo themselves is...?

#49 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Nov 12 2011, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Club: Hey, here's a figure of a fourth-stringer we've been featuring in our fiction for a few years now.

Yeah. Nobody ever discusses the fiction. Not even the convention comics. That should give you a good idea of the quality of it.
And besides. Who do you think made it so Sure Fire was in the fiction to begin with?

#50 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 39900 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Nov 12 2011, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(NightViper @ Nov 12 2011, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I find it very hard to believe that they could be in the middle of doing these subscription figures and all of a sudden Hasbro would be all "Hey, you guys can use our newest toolings!" right as they got to Sure Fire.

Then you've never worked with Hasbro before.

#51 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64873 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

I've been given the impression from Fun Pub at the various BotCons that Hasbro is a very fickle bitch.

We hear all the time how things that applied to them once before no longer apply, and how things that they were once able to do, they can no longer do.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#52 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 39900 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

Remember when within a matter of months, BotCon Cheetor went from TransTech Cheetor (because Hasbro would let them use the Animated toys but not their universe) to actual Animated Cheetor, co-star in an entire Animated themed year?

And that's just recent memory. I'm still traumatized from the whiplash in the later Glen Hallit years.

#53 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Nov 12 2011, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Nov 12 2011, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah. Nobody ever discusses the fiction. Not even the convention comics. That should give you a good idea of the quality of it.

This probably won't surprise you, but I discuss it with several friends. I enjoy quite a bit of it. The Club consistently provides some of my favorite GI Joe fiction right now (I will be a VERY sad fanboy when Adventure Team leaves the spotlight).

I've actually been thinking that a Joe Mag thread would be a good idea to bring some others out of the woodwork. Currently I'm just kind of weighing comic/non-comic content to decide where to go with it and waiting on the next issue so there's something fresh to start with.
And besides. Who do you think made it so Sure Fire was in the fiction to begin with?

Yeah... because if you were writing fiction and had a figure that patterned after you that had never ever seen fiction, the last thing you'd do is rectify that. Good god, the HORROR.

I'll freely admit to not having read every appearance of Sure-Fire, but I don't recall any hyped-buildup or overuse. He was just there, getting some facetime--GI Joe has so many characters that "facetime appearances" are standard. Yeah, this case is somewhat different, but the entirety of your complaining is based in some ridiculous meta-grudge from 10 years ago and has very little to do with the character and nothing to do with how he was used.

Edited by Lukeblast, 13 November 2011 - 04:18 AM.

#54 TrentTroop

TrentTroop

He knows changes aren't permanent. But change is.

• Citizen
  • 4267 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

Detour, if you have any particular critiques of the convention comics, please share. I've seen some reviews in various corners, Blood for the Baron, for instance, but part of growing as a writer is listening to reviews, positive and negative alike.

-Trent

#55 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:49 AM

QUOTE(TrentTroop @ Nov 13 2011, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Detour, if you have any particular critiques of the convention comics, please share. I've seen some reviews in various corners, Blood for the Baron, for instance, but part of growing as a writer is listening to reviews, positive and negative alike.

I wish I had some, but I didn't even know it existed up until about halfway through all these subscription figures. In spite of being part of multiple Joe communities.

In fact at some point recently someone described what the Joe club comic/newsletter was like and the comic was not even mentionned.
Any time con sets are discussed, it's all about the toys. Never see any discussion about the comics, and the first time I was even aware a comic had been produced was for the 2009 con set (and even then it was just for a few character scans in a review of the toys), and heard no mention of comics in the following two con sets.

I dunno... I mean, I guess I know now they exist, but unlike the TF fanclub's fiction it seems to be largely ignored by the fandom at large.

The closest thing to a critique of the fiction I'd heard came from Sure Fire's reveal, who criticized Sure Fire's inclusion in said Club fiction as being "a lame mary sue shoehorned in at Lane's insistance".

So.... yeah. Sorry, there's just not much to comment on when I don't even HEAR about the stories. I don't know what else to tell you, I mean you and Siph wrote a lot of killer TF fiction.

#56 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42195 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Nov 13 2011, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(TrentTroop @ Nov 13 2011, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I had some, but I didn't even know it existed up until about halfway through all these subscription figures. In spite of being part of multiple Joe communities.

In fact at some point recently someone described what the Joe club comic/newsletter was like and the comic was not even mentionned.
Any time con sets are discussed, it's all about the toys. Never see any discussion about the comics, and the first time I was even aware a comic had been produced was for the 2009 con set (and even then it was just for a few character scans in a review of the toys), and heard no mention of comics in the following two con sets.

I dunno... I mean, I guess I know now they exist, but unlike the TF fanclub's fiction it seems to be largely ignored by the fandom at large.

The closest thing to a critique of the fiction I'd heard came from Sure Fire's reveal, who criticized Sure Fire's inclusion in said Club fiction as being "a lame mary sue shoehorned in at Lane's insistance".

So.... yeah. Sorry, there's just not much to comment on when I don't even HEAR about the stories. I don't know what else to tell you, I mean you and Siph wrote a lot of killer TF fiction.

Okay, a few things that hopefully clear some things up.

The Joe Club Newsletter, for the most part, did not have a comic. Maybe one snuck in for the last issue, I'd have to double-check. The comics didn't really start until the Joe Club switched over to the same "Magazine" format that the Transformers Club uses. Which was probably just under two years ago.

As for the convention comics, I believe that the 2008 Headhunters comic was the first of those. That story did have Sure Fire in it, but he was constantly being trashed by the other Joes in the comic. The only time he entered anything resembling that "bad-ass Mary Sue" realm was when he shot two Headhunter soldiers that tried to get the drop on him. But really, that was somewhat tame compared to the heroics from the other Joes in the comic. And, well, for GI Joe comics everywhere.

David Lane does work closely with the writers for the GI Joe comics. He is the editor after all. So he does offer suggestions for the story and characters all the time. For this year's Club comics, Dave suggested Sure Fire. Not insisted, but suggested. Since the Dial-Tone story arc featured the Joes from the 2008 Headhunters comic rather heavily, it made sense to have him in the planning/coordinating phase of the mission.

#57 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

I wish I had some, but I didn't even know it existed up until about halfway through all these subscription figures.

Wait, hold up.

So you're throwing out assumptions of the quality of things you've never read and barely heard about, and the little bit you did hear conveniently reaffirmed your mad-on. Instead of admitting such upfront, you offered it as proof that the Club shouldn't make an updated figure of a guy they've featured in their fiction.

icon-blitz.gif

No, I'm pretty sure that means FunPub just needs some better press.

Edited by Lukeblast, 13 November 2011 - 11:17 AM.

#58 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 39900 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Nov 13 2011, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish I had some, but I didn't even know it existed up until about halfway through all these subscription figures.

Wait, hold up.

So you're throwing out assumptions of the quality of things you've never read and barely heard about, and the little bit you did hear conveniently reaffirmed your mad-on. Instead of admitting such upfront, you offered it as proof that the Club shouldn't make an updated figure of a guy they've featured in their fiction.

icon-blitz.gif

Oy.

#59 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42195 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

BTW, this is how Sure Fire looks in the Club fiction:

Attached Thumbnails

• surefire_dialtone.jpg

#60 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 39900 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

DAVID LANE TOLD YOU TO POST THAT DIDN'T HE???????????

WILL HIS EVIL EVER END??????????

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users