Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 March 2019 - 12:23 PM)

Many of us are in fact aware that our country is ridiculous.

@  Arazyr : (24 March 2019 - 08:25 AM)

As an American, I have no problem with the amusing anecdotes he's been sharing. In fact, I've been enjoying them, and got no indication of smugness from any of them. Please continue. 8^)

@  The Doctor Who : (24 March 2019 - 06:00 AM)

Minnesota, but I think it's only mentioned in, like, a side comic or something.

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 March 2019 - 05:57 AM)

Ever wonder what state Carly was in after 'The Rebirth'.

@  fourteenwings : (24 March 2019 - 02:15 AM)

I don't think it's right to feel indignation at people telling you that Americans might also have feelings and you should consider them before squawking yet more things in the same vein.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Intervening? It's not like much of anything that happens in this box is prompted.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 March 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I suppose I would normally feel indignation right about now, but with you I am merely unsurprised that you are intervening in a conversation to express your typical brand of disapproval.

@  Cabooceratops : (24 March 2019 - 01:06 AM)

Nitefort x ]

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 12:50 AM)

I'm not super fond of Nevermore's habit of using the Shoutbox to complain about TFW users, but those usually seem to be things he's personally witnessed and not anecdotes that he only has confirmation bias to backup, so I can believe he isn't just being smug.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 12:47 AM)

Amusing? Don't try to pretend you aren't being selective by picking things that support a narrative you're building.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 March 2019 - 12:46 AM)

Shield Agent: this and the previous anecdote didn't sound like you have any reason to believe them beyond confirmation bias, so bringing up these things compulsively achieves nothing beyond making you look smug.

@  fourteenwings : (24 March 2019 - 12:23 AM)

Well I guess Fortnite sounds cool? Maybe it made more sense before the gameplay started to focus on the Battle Royale bit?

@  fourteenwings : (24 March 2019 - 12:22 AM)

To be fair this is only a few days after your very comprehensive thing about St. Patrick's Day. Oh also I guess that thing about the Estonian currency exchange so that's like three entire "Americans!" squawks this week.

@  Maruten : (24 March 2019 - 12:22 AM)

Not that Nitefort is any more sensible obviously.

@  Maruten : (24 March 2019 - 12:21 AM)

I tend to forget that it's called Fortnite because my 3yo calls it "Nitefort" so that's how my whole family refers to it.

@  Maruten : (24 March 2019 - 12:21 AM)

I assume the name is derived from the fact that one can build forts? But the nite part is a stretch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 March 2019 - 12:17 AM)

Hence I thought it would be an amusing anecdote to share as I am not a gamer, but other pop culture-invested people here probably would be, and thus perhaps they would have different relevant experience to share.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 March 2019 - 12:16 AM)

In fact before now I did not feel "superior" for knowing the word "fortnight" because I was raised to believe it was a rare but standard term.

@  Copper Bezel : (23 March 2019 - 10:33 PM)

Eh, it's not a common word in the US, so ... like I sincerely hope no one's feeling superior about it but I wouldn't assume.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 March 2019 - 09:59 PM)

Shield Agent: What is up with your compulsion to bring up every anecdote that supports your superiority complex towards Americans?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 March 2019 - 09:22 PM)

What I don't get is: what is a game titled "two weeks" even about?

@  Trpodeca : (23 March 2019 - 09:16 PM)

What strange people

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 March 2019 - 09:11 PM)

Interesting. I have just been informed by several Britons and Australians that since the debut of Fortnite, they have encountered Yanks who do not believe that "fortnight" is a real word.

@  Kayla Kaon : (22 March 2019 - 09:22 PM)

https://discord.gg/jMPfJWk

@  Kayla Kaon : (22 March 2019 - 08:05 PM)

What is up sexy people! Everyone having fun tonight?

@  Rycochet : (22 March 2019 - 01:01 PM)

If they don't take it down or back off, then unfollow. At least then they'll know why people are distancing themselves.

@  Rycochet : (22 March 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Call them out because if nobody challenges them on nonsense, they'll only sink deeper into their rabbithole of stupidity.

@  Benbot : (22 March 2019 - 11:26 AM)

When someone makes a deliberately hateful and dishonest post on Facebook, do you angrily call them out on it, or just ignore or defriend them?

@  Xellos : (22 March 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Dunno, I did watch Combiner Wars...

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 04:37 AM)

Also, nobody try watching last year's Stargate Origins: Catherine "webisode". My god, I've never seen anything so atrocious

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 04:36 AM)

Having watched the full decade's' worth of episodes during the last 4 or so weeks, the cult leader Goa'uld was Setesh/"Seth"

@  Pennpenn : (22 March 2019 - 04:00 AM)

I missed a whole bunch of stuff in the Squawkbox. Huh. It's been a long week.

@  Pennpenn : (22 March 2019 - 03:52 AM)

That or Old Testament God with his whole nuking cities, random plagues, brutal pogroms, absurd set ups to test followers faiths, etc etc as a very not rogue Goa'uld.

@  Pennpenn : (22 March 2019 - 03:48 AM)

1) Spite. 2) I'm fairly sure at least one episode did actually have a Goa'uld who'd be hiding out on Earth since the rebellion and had been host swapping and running cults, 3) mostly yeah spiteful contrivance to see Christain groups lose their collective shit.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 02:49 AM)

If you don't take paypal, and the item isn't a local pickup (in which case Cash is acceptable), I'm pretty sure you need to have some alternative credit card processor you're able to take payment through

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 March 2019 - 02:48 AM)

Technically eBay doesn't own Paypal anymore, but even so I haven't seen an auction in years that didn't take Paypal as a form of payment.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 March 2019 - 11:01 PM)

I was gonna ask "aren't eBay and Paypal basically the same people" but turns out that hasn't been true for a while.

@  Trpodeca : (21 March 2019 - 07:41 PM)

I think the issue is that we paid with Paypal, but they don't accept Paypal.

@  Trpodeca : (21 March 2019 - 07:40 PM)

I don't think so.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 March 2019 - 07:30 PM)

Can you pay via paypal?

@  Trpodeca : (21 March 2019 - 07:25 PM)

I think we can't transfer the money into Euros. So that's unfortunate.

@  Trpodeca : (21 March 2019 - 07:21 PM)

Well we bought it, but the payment doesn't seem to have gone through.

@  Nevermore : (21 March 2019 - 06:56 PM)

What problem?

@  Trpodeca : (21 March 2019 - 03:44 PM)

Well that's unfortunate, the German comic we're missing is on ebay, and we bought it but seem to have run into a problem.

@  MidnightFox : (21 March 2019 - 11:18 AM)

If anything in context to the show, Jesus would most likely have been a human nearing ascension. We have various examples of near ascension humans exhibiting the same abilities as miracles attributed to Jesus.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 March 2019 - 09:42 AM)

Yeah, but neither the russians or the US military shared any information about the goa'uld to the public. And there was more than likely enough devout in both regimes that they wouldn't have accepted that as a possible answer anyway.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 March 2019 - 09:25 AM)

Jesus would not have been a Goa'uld, he would have been an ancient ascendant :p

@  MidnightFox : (21 March 2019 - 09:20 AM)

Well, d'uh. But it also made sense within context of the series even with actual ancient alien theorists connecting everything in every religion to aliens.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 March 2019 - 09:18 AM)

More to the point: you don't piss off the bulk of the potential demographic by outright stating that even the supposedly one good god was really just a snake in your head.

@  MidnightFox : (21 March 2019 - 08:15 AM)

Why would they? The show was very clear about the Goa'uld not knowing what happened on Earth after the rebellion, which happened way before the advent of Christianity.

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9638 replies to this topic

#5681 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18653 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:09 PM

I've never heard of an olive Blowtorch, but the yellow Croc Master was in the lost wave 6 with Rock Viper and Crazy Legs.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#5682 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38297 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

Wait, Rock Viper's wave wasn't lost.  I saw that thing at TRU and passed on it because it sucked.  Was there another release of Rock Viper that got lost?

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#5683 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20518 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

I've never heard of an olive Blowtorch, but the yellow Croc Master was in the lost wave 6 with Rock Viper and Crazy Legs.

No, not the yellow one. There was a planned running change to give Blowtorch colors based in preproduction concepts of his original 1984 toy, and Croc Master would get Python Patrol colors, but they never happened.

PursuitofCobraVariants-1.jpg

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#5684 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38297 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

Good to see Hasbro sticks to its guns on running changes that stand still, heh.

#5685 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15020 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

DePreist (I think) swore up and down that the running change figures had been made too. "I'll look into that" he said. Several years later...

Yes, because everyone being the same color worked so well for the RoC line. :D

Yup, all-black was terrible on dozens of figures at retail at one time. In my IG forces though, which have been collected as they trickled out from various sources over the course of 7 years and supplemented with a few customs, this Undertow is going to look boss.

Seriously though, that's not what the toyline has ever really been about and certainly not what the Collector's Club line of figures is supposed to be about. If we wanted something almost right we could kitbash parts.

I guess it makes a certain amount of sense though as they're just homaging their earlier Club repaint vs the original figure.

Yup. I might point out that the toyline and Collectors' Club have not been about giving fans the entire ARAH line completely redone in every color and detail that it had before, don't you dare change a thing but you also need to do it better and improve it too.

With respect, I think the idea that it's "almost right" or that only the original can be homaged is the fallacy here, not my desire for a little bit more cohesion in a single faction.

Edited by Lukeblast, 11 February 2015 - 07:10 PM.

#5686 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20518 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

My own opinion obviously, but while I get why a guy like Destro would need a private army to protect his assets, the concept of Iron Grenadiers as a third faction in the war just rubs me the wrong way.

That being said I always liked the Undertow mold and loved the blue one from 2001. I just don't feel a repainted 50th Eel with some reused vintage pieces works. Granted the Undertow's look was always unorthodox (which is why I loved it) so it'd be hard to pick parts that would work exactly well... but it'd be nice if there was a hint that they at least tried...

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#5687 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38297 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

Considering the bios at least never painted the Iron Grenadiers as an actual "army" so much as Destro's personal mercenaries/product testers/instigators/telemarketers, I'm a little iffy on the third war faction, too.  I always got the feeling that there were maybe a few hundred of them, tops, which is why they were all considered highly trained and well compensated.

Edited by Spark, 12 February 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#5688 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15020 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

My own opinion obviously, but while I get why a guy like Destro would need a private army to protect his assets, the concept of Iron Grenadiers as a third faction in the war just rubs me the wrong way.

That being said I always liked the Undertow mold and loved the blue one from 2001. I just don't feel a repainted 50th Eel with some reused vintage pieces works. Granted the Undertow's look was always unorthodox (which is why I loved it) so it'd be hard to pick parts that would work exactly well... but it'd be nice if there was a hint that they at least tried...

I'm not saying there's no discussion to be had about how this (or any/every other) figure could be improved. I'm objecting to being told my personal desires are at odds with the purpose of the line (I never even implied they were aligned), immediately followed by the imposition of personal desires as though that were the purpose of the line.

I was just saying why I, myself, don't have a problem with the colors on this figure and why I, myself, don't particularly want the original colors. It wasn't meant to say others shouldn't want them or that we should never get them. There's still room for improvement; just for starters I'm probably going to find a rebreather from Depth Charge and bin that Torpedo backpack.

#5689 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20518 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

Oh you misunderstand me, I'm raising no objections over the choice of color scheme. Just the choice for the base figure that leaves me unimpressed.

And yeah, that old Spy Troops rebreather chest piece could've been a good place to start...

#5690 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20518 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

Recondo's up!
http://www.gijoecon....F15preview3.cfm

Rather than using the deco Recondo had as the Tiger Fly pilot, they went with a preproduction one. Fascinating.

http://www.yojoe.com.../recondo2.shtml

(kinda worried he'll end up gorilla-armed, though. IIRC those short-sleeved arms are made to work on slightly larger bucks like Sgt. Stone/Kwinn and POC Recondo/Joe Colton)

#5691 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4371 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

To nobody's surprise, GI Joe is largely ignored by Hasbro's investor event, outside a blurb about live action films.

It's not that Joe wasn't mentioned that bothers me, its the fact they keep playing up Stretch Armstrong and Micronauts as "new brands" when we haven't seen ANYTHING from them at all.  At least Joe had a live action movie a couple years ago and still has product out at stores, even if just TRU.

Also, new MASK logo? (on the bottom, next to STretch Armstrong):

http://www.tfw2005.c..._1423835639.jpg

Edited by Steevy Maximus, 13 February 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#5692 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20518 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

Stretch Armstrong?

Now THERE's a franchise I'm okay with mixing with GI Joe. Especially if Vac-Man joins up with Cobra.

#5693 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18653 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

To nobody's surprise, GI Joe is largely ignored by Hasbro's investor event, outside a blurb about live action films.

It's not that Joe wasn't mentioned that bothers me, its the fact they keep playing up Stretch Armstrong and Micronauts as "new brands" when we haven't seen ANYTHING from them at all.  At least Joe had a live action movie a couple years ago and still has product out at stores, even if just TRU.

Also, new MASK logo? (on the bottom, next to STretch Armstrong):

http://www.tfw2005.c..._1423835639.jpg

That logo is for Jem.

And yes, we heard from Hasbro specifically that there will be nothing Joe related until Joe con so...

Edited by Dake, 13 February 2015 - 12:35 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#5694 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20518 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:20 AM

Kinda surprised at the complete non-reaction over Recondo...

#5695 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18653 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:10 PM

Because he's not particularly exciting?

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#5696 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15020 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

I like the character, but have no particular attachment to him, nor do I have a particular attachment to Tiger Force in general. It looks fine to me, but it was never going to be a thing I wanted no matter how it looked.

#5697 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16756 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:28 PM

At least G.I. Joe will be getting a mini call out with Combiner Wars Viper. I will by two my Cobra Commander Hot Shot and SerpentOR can use for troops.

Now I'm left wanting Crimson Guard transformers though.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#5698 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20518 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

Cobra Commander Hot Shot?

#5699 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51550 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

Nick got AoE Hot Shot and found the Retaliation Cobra Commander head fit it perfectly so...Cobra Commander Hot Shot.

Edited by MrBlud, 15 February 2015 - 03:21 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#5700 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16756 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

Thanks Blud.

I mean, I posted it in this thread!
Http://www.scatterville.com

Reply to this topic