Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (16 June 2019 - 01:20 AM)

And for hug's sake, I hope that the new Fire Emblem's PC isn't one of the DLC

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 June 2019 - 04:11 PM)

Smash Bros could never touch a new franchise again, and I'd still have laundry lists of side characters and villains I'd love to see included.

@  unluckiness : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

DINNER

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

cuz i wanna fight a boat

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:35 AM)

if we must have another zelda character, id want the king of red lion

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 10:38 PM)

I would unironically love Tingle in Smash.

@  Paladin : (14 June 2019 - 02:06 PM)

they HAVE to put Travis Touchdown in at some point now, right???

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 June 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Right after Shaq.

@  Locoman : (14 June 2019 - 12:36 PM)

When will we get Bluster Kong in Smash?

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The last three DLC characters are Tingle, Charles Barkley and L Tetris block with Reverse L Tetris block as an Echo fighter.

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Pipe dream Smash entry: The Prince from the Katamari series. :D

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 06:35 AM)

The space/time around them gets frozen too! ....or something.

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

I still want to find out how freezing people suspends them in midair

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 June 2019 - 02:45 AM)

We really need Subzero or Scorpion in Smash. Violence aside, they are pretty big gaming icons as well.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 08:18 PM)

Given Nintendo's relationship with Tecmo, I'm still waiting for Ryu Hyabusa

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 June 2019 - 07:19 PM)

I'm still waiting for Doomguy.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I just started watching High School DxD (don't judge me...) and I caught on the Nintendo Treehouse some request Rias for Smash lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

I have having to watch a video to find out why someone wanted me to watch the video

@  Nevermore : (11 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

I remember when the TPB for The Dark Age 2 was delayed for an entire year...

@  Trpodeca : (11 June 2019 - 03:55 AM)

I just wish they'd release the Astro City paperback trades.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:31 AM)

As an open-minded heterosexual, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:29 AM)

Currently in the process of re-reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City. Big props for the issue featuring the "Dancing Master" and its portrayal of non-stereotypical gay characters.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 June 2019 - 05:25 AM)

Don't phone charges often contain special rapid charge circuitry, though? The voltage might be higher too, given the selfie stick probably has a very basic battery.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 11:28 PM)

Glad to be of assistance!

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 10:32 PM)

*checks selfie stick and phone charger* huh. perfect fit. thanks!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 09:58 PM)

I would use the USB-to-AC adapter that came with my iPhone, though I gather you must have a different brand of cell phone.

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:42 PM)

In that case a generic adapter is probably your best bet, then. Keep in mind a lot of hotels now have plain USB outlets in rooms too, though; but I guess that's not guaranteed

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 05:31 PM)

yeah, i just need something small to plug into the wall. im not sure im taking my laptop on my trip later this year and i want a way to charge my stuff

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:04 PM)

They also have wall outlets with built-in USB in addition to the two regular plugs; I installed those around my place so I have USB ports everywhere

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:02 PM)

You might be able to get a generic adapter to use with it at Radio Shack if you know the appropriate voltages or whatever

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:01 PM)

It came with a USB cable with no AC adapter? A lot of lower priced electronics do that, presumably assuming that USB is pretty ubiquitous

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:00 PM)

Yeah, must be, I guess.

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:59 PM)

maybe having bluetooth has something to do with it?

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

the one i got has an on/off button, and came with a usb to attach to my laptop to charge it. its this one https://www.walmart....ility/432985497

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 04:51 PM)

Selfie sticks have power? I thought they were to just hold the phone away from you

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 04:44 PM)

need some technical help.how do i charge my selfie stick without using my laptop? is there some kind of portable charger? i know it sounds like a dumb question, but i dont know very much about this stuff

@  MEDdMI : (08 June 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Different songs or overdosing don't work for me. My brain can play multiple songs at once. Best to do something else to distract me.

@  Xellos : (08 June 2019 - 05:36 PM)

Still, the worst is having the last song I hear before going into work being stuck in my head all day.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 June 2019 - 05:00 PM)

Get a different song stuck in your head too. Let them battle for supremacy. Only the strong survive.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2019 - 03:53 PM)

Keep listening to it over and over until you got the lyrics memorized. By that point, it will start to fade out of your system.

@  Nevermore : (08 June 2019 - 02:48 PM)

I've discovered the easiest cure for having a song stuck in your head is overdosing to the point of fatigue.

@  Steevy Maximus : (08 June 2019 - 12:27 PM)

Jedi Fallen Order sure does look a LOT like a Souls style game with Star Wars flavoring

@  Kalidor : (07 June 2019 - 06:18 PM)

I have a hard time believing that you speaking at length and with great detail is something you wouldn't be good at. Glad you had fun.

@  Nevermore : (07 June 2019 - 02:51 PM)

Funny thing is I wasn't nervous at all. Might have helped that I was able to speak freely due to having assembled my speech from a lot of smaller segments I had previously told to my colleagues on the shopfloor, with a few punchlines added.

@  Nevermore : (07 June 2019 - 02:49 PM)

Allegedly I did well. Lots of applause, and was told I was leagues beyond the guy who spoke before me (though that wasn't difficult, that guy was dry as a river on Mars).

@  Nevermore : (07 June 2019 - 02:48 PM)

So I volunteered to hold a small speech at our strike assembly today (lots of Amazon employees, plus some people from IKEA, Smyths toys and some other local retailers).

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 June 2019 - 01:17 PM)

Today Dolly the Sheep and Super Salmon, tomorrow Neo Sapiens. We're through the looking glass people.

@  Kalidor : (07 June 2019 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday @Pinkcolliebot

@  Pinkcolliebot : (07 June 2019 - 12:03 PM)

Today's My Birthday!!!

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 June 2019 - 03:16 AM)

Think how many copies of Optimus Prime's brain could fit on that.

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9668 replies to this topic

#3601 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20566 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

I wish I'd gotten more Sigma Six Storm Shadows.

Then again, the one I wanted the most never showed locally.

(the one with the tiger)

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3602 Moroboshi

Moroboshi

Longtime member, sometimes lurker

• Citizen
  • 942 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

I had a similar experience. However, mine involved finding a Sigma Six Zartan (the first version, which I had missed, so I was understandably excited!) at Wal-Mart in 2011. The toy had a sticker on him indicating that he'd originally come from K-Mart! I guess all the stories of Wal-Mart accepting anything on return are true. 

#3603 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16959 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but just double checking, they never did a Renegades Bioviper figure right?

-ZacWilliam, my 5yr olds been watching the show on the Hub and wants one.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#3604 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42172 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Nope. No Bio-Vipers.

Which is a shame because they'd make for all sorts of fun biological experiment repaints :)

#3605 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20566 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, Hasbro royally phoned in the "Renegades" toyline.

Couldn't even be arsed to make the entire main cast.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3606 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3003 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

My son's 6th birthday is Friday with the party on Saturday. Since the day after his last party, he decided on a GI Joe themed party and stuck to it the entire year.

We decided to replace the busted Renegades he had and complete as many of the others we could find at a reasonable price as Christmas presents with the intent they'd be used as decorations for the party.

In Mid November, a local "moving sale" had vintage vehicles for $1 each. We bought as many a we could justify based in their condition and decided that those would literally be cheaper than buying party supplies (besides plates and napkins and maybe a few balloons).

We also made a trip during Thanksgiving vacation to Kokomo toys in Indiana and bought a few loose ARAH figures to pilot the vehicles.

He and I finally opened his 8 new Renegades toys tonight and we surprised him with the vehicles. Behold:

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Kup, 01 January 2014 - 10:23 PM.

"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#3607 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18795 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

That's awesome, and great finds at a buck a piece!

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#3608 electricidad

electricidad
  • Citizen
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

My son's 6th birthday is Friday with the party on Saturday. Since the day after his last party, he decided on a GI Joe themed party and stuck to it the entire year.

We decided to replace the busted Renegades he had and complete as many of the others we could find at a reasonable price as Christmas presents with the intent they'd be used as decorations for the party.

In Mid November, a local "moving sale" had vintage vehicles for $1 each. We bought as many a we could justify based in their condition and decided that those would literally be cheaper than buying party supplies (besides plates and napkins and maybe a few balloons).

We also made a trip during Thanksgiving vacation to Kokomo toys in Indiana and bought a few loose ARAH figures to pilot the vehicles.

He and I finally opened his 8 new Renegades toys tonight and we surprised him with the vehicles. Behold:

Parenting. You're doing it right.

#3609 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38593 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Phoned it in to the point most of the toys purposely try not to look like their animated counterparts... 

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#3610 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4457 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Phoned it in to the point most of the toys purposely try not to look like their animated counterparts... 

To be fair, it was probably so that those Renegades figures would "fit in" with existing collectors' figures.

After all, collectors are the ONLY ones buying GI Joe, so heaven forbid they try and make fun toys or do something new or anything  :rolleyes

#3611 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38593 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:37 AM

Well, they pretty much are now... for that exact reason.  Catering too much to collectors eventually narrows your market to collectors.  Just look at He-Man for a worst case scenario.

#3612 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16848 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:44 AM

Maybe the third movie will finally change that?
Sigh.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#3613 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4457 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Maybe the third movie will finally change that?
Sigh.

Maybe, but I don't think a successful film will change the long standing problems the line has.  I still think Retaliation did quite well, all things considered, but I really don't see another film elevating the brand to the degree where the line's issues can be overcome in the way Transformers or Star Wars did.

Well, they pretty much are now... for that exact reason.  Catering too much to collectors eventually narrows your market to collectors.  Just look at He-Man for a worst case scenario.

I've made no hiding the fact I'm a BIG supporter of GI Joe taking lessons from Hasbro's other top brands in trying to split the market and offer a cheaper product for kids/parents.

I just don't believe we'll see anything so drastic.  I get the impression that both the Hasbro team AND the collectors view GI Joe must the be THE absolute best product on the market, period.

Problem is, being the best hasn't done squat for the line's sales, and I still view the $10-ish pricepoint as a HUGE issue that is simply being ignored by both company and collectors.

Were I in charge? I'd change the 4" line to a simpler construction style (maybe something along the lines of 2002 T-crotch figures with wrist swivels) with fewer "add ons" (web gear) and get the single figure price to $5-6.  Even with such reduced articulation, GI Joe would STILL be superior to anything Hasbro offers in that price range for Marvel or Star Wars.

And then I'd launch a 6" collector line, and try and get some fresh interest in the brand from non-established consumers (which SW Black seemed to be able to do).

It has become pretty obvious that Hasbro can't offer collectors the character variety or quality they expect while still maintaining a retail friendly pricepoint, so let's just let the club take over ME figures and keep doing what they've been doing (doing the stuff Hasbro is unable or unwilling to do)

#3614 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38593 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

That price is a huge problem.  It needs to get back down to $5-7.  That's why most Wal-Marts still carry The Corps but you'll be extremely lucky to see any Joe product.  

Dropping articulation didn't exactly help anything since that's what Joe's known for and always has been.  Keep the scale and the articulation, cut the (frankly, in many cases ridiculous) amount of accessories and the paint applications.  No, pockets and strap buckles don't need to be painted, nor do uniforms need drybrushing and ink washes.  Stop treating everything like a superhero line where every wave needs a new Duke and Snake Eyes... which tend to just sit on the shelves.  I know retailers love the superhero model, but it kills G. I. Joe, since part of Joe's appeal was in building an army of little guys to fight another army of little guys who weren't all the same guy.  

Ignore the collectors that ask for remakes of the same figures over and over because the prior version was one shade of olive drab off or something.

Try new things.  Put the usual Joe regulars on the sidelines and make a new cast.  Set aside Cobra for a while and pull up something else threatening.  Stop banking on existing characters and make kids love the new ones by either using the fiction to make them compelling characters or just having them look very cool.

Get rid of Darryl DePriest.  If he's the only one keeping the line alive, then it needs to go on hiatus for a while till there's a project lead who can do something other than exhibit a terrible case of Running the Asylum.

Leave the collector market stuff to the Club where it belongs and innovate at the mass market level.  That idea from one of the RoC vehicle guys about vehicles interlocking or interacting with each other?  Use that.  Stop trying to be (sometimes painfully) realistic and go back to the fantastic that's part of A Real American Hero's foundation whether collectors like it or not... because it's not just for them.

#3615 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20566 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

I've said this multiple times, but if Joe wants to thrive in today's world... it needs to phase out its name, bring back the Adventure Team brand and just go crazy with fun concepts.

#3616 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38593 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

It has to keep the name or come up with a subline name.  Something other than "Adventure Team", since that's generic as all hell, legacy or not.

#3617 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18795 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

I don't know how anyone can suggest the reduced (5 POA) articulation is "working" for Hasbro.  Marvel movie properties and the Star Wars figures are pegwarming (even through Christmas when desperate parents will by anything). And Hasbro admitted that vehicle sales were worse than ever in no small part due to gimped drivers.

If Joe is a collector only line and they turn them off, there's no one left.

The Dollar General Joes show the price point exists with the current type of figures.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#3618 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38593 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

Quite honestly, the DG model is probably the one they should follow, albeit with some fiction thrown on the back.

#3619 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

Dropping articulation didn't exactly help anything since that's what Joe's known for and always has been.

In fairness though, dropping the figures back down to ARAH standards would still be fantastically articulated compared to most other lines on the market and would cut the number of parts in each figure by about half, in turn drastically reducing production costs.

The problem seems to be that whenever Hasbro introduces a new joint, the fans treat it as guaranteed standard and scream bloody murder if you take it away from them. No bending wrists or rocker ankles? FOR SHAME! No double knees? TRAVESTY! No ankles? GET THE PITCHFORKS.

And since fans are such big segment of the brand right now, Hasbro hurries to apologize and put it back instead of riding things out while they get the kids on board.

#3620 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38593 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Dropping articulation didn't exactly help anything since that's what Joe's known for and always has been.

In fairness though, dropping the figures back down to ARAH standards would still be fantastically articulated compared to most other lines on the market and would cut the number of parts in each figure by about half, in turn drastically reducing production costs.

They could probably drop it back down to 25th Anniversary debut standards without much problem, but going below that and we come back around to dealing with price and competition on the shelves.  A lot of what Joe competes with now are other Hasbro products like Marvel Universe and Star Wars (Black Label now, I guess), then there are figures in roughly the same range with lower prices like Ninja Turtles and Corps.  If Joe needs to do one thing, it's not look like everything else, which is why RoC figures shelfwarmed so badly as they were largely a see of black, silver, and gray on dark cards in an aisle full of the same at the time.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users