Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Benbot : (26 June 2019 - 03:27 PM)

new episodes are up?

@  Boomhauer : (26 June 2019 - 01:30 PM)

The voice acting bothers me less than the weird-as-hell timing on the action. Entire show feels like its paced like a internet cartoon.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM)

It's like drawing someone in the "superhero landing" pose. It's just part of the cultural vocabulary at this point.

@  Arazyr : (25 June 2019 - 07:14 PM)

I can hear that post... *shudder*

@  B-Fox : (25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM)

So why does Cyberverse sound like . . . *that*?

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9674 replies to this topic

#3041 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(the last prince @ Jul 12 2013, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I wasn't thinking aliens in my bit there, just take the battle out into space, the moon and mars and such. Keep it localized. It's just different than what we have had in the past 2 decades. Not much else has really worked...

Yeah, but all that's boring. Nothing but emptiness and wastelands.

Anywho, customs!

Rock'N'Roll update:

Cobra Commander:

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3042 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38619 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

I like aliens only in a really tiny way, like Blackstar who was sort of, "We don't know who this guy is, and he's never really been seen, but he kicks our asses so hard in space that we're not sure he's ever been on the ground." That kind of thing. I like the Lunartix guys, but I don't even think of them as G. I. Joes, so much as just their own weird subline.

I would not have complained, however, if in some line Cobra Commander popped off his helmet and was actually an alien just because that would be absurd.

My ideal G. I. Joe would probably be twenty minutes into the future and kind of cyberpunk-ish.

Edited by Spark, 12 July 2013 - 07:01 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#3043 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jul 12 2013, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it's a lost cause. The people who champion straight military realism in GI Joe always point to the first few years of ARAH as the gold standard. Point out that right from the start we had a Laser Trooper MOS and an artillery laser, and they just roll their eyes and tell you that you don't get it.

Actually, IRL lasers were all the rage back in the 1970s and very early 1980s. In fact, back when I was in JROTC one day one of my instructors (an artillery officer) told us about a briefing he once attended in which someone was pitching the notion of lasers as an anti-aircraft weapon.

In fact, a lot of the "Huh?" stuff we saw in the 1980s - early 1990s Joe line was actually either based on real-world military tech or based on real-world conceptual designs for military tech. This even includes things like the X-Wing helicopter (Sikorsky was actually working on an aircraft that could go between fixed-wing and rotary-wing flight), the Phantom X-19 (based on a rumored F-19 advanced tactical "stealth" fighter that was ultimately revealed to be bogus), and the Thunderclap (a heavily redone M65 "Atomic Annie" concept atomic artillery piece).

#3044 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 12 2013, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Also, we need more Joe firefighters. Just Barbecue alone isn't enough. We need a few more Joe firefighters and a firefighting vehicle. Kids love firefighters.

There was actually a Firefighter subteam proposed for the 1992 assortment, but it was dropped for reasons unknown.

Of note, however, is that 1992 was the year that Barbecue and Deep Six were grafted onto Eco-Force alongside the rather phoned-in Toxo-Zombie. I'm thinking that the new Barbecue figure may have originally been slated for use with this firefighter team, and was far enough along to where he was simply stuffed into Eco-Force when the team idea fell through. Deep Six is anyone's guess, and if you ask me the Toxo-Zombie looks like someone at Hasbro came up with it at the last minute so that they could have a Cobra presence in with the year's Eco-Force line-up.

#3045 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Jul 12 2013, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jul 12 2013, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it's a lost cause. The people who champion straight military realism in GI Joe always point to the first few years of ARAH as the gold standard. Point out that right from the start we had a Laser Trooper MOS and an artillery laser, and they just roll their eyes and tell you that you don't get it.
Actually, IRL lasers were all the rage back in the 1970s and very early 1980s.

And yet there were not (and still are not) handheld laser rifles on the battlefield wielded by guys with the MOS of Laser Trooper or artillery pieces in any warzone taking out tanks with laser bolts.

That was the entirety of what I was saying, and it required no corrections or inane personal stories which illustrated nothing.

#3046 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Jul 12 2013, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 12 2013, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Also, we need more Joe firefighters. Just Barbecue alone isn't enough. We need a few more Joe firefighters and a firefighting vehicle. Kids love firefighters.

There

I know already! I know!

You're not the only one who can browse Yojoe for information.

Fact remains we haven't gotten any firefighter Joes besides Barbecue (well there was Inferno, but he never got released in the 1:18 scale) and I think that needs to be changed.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3047 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:29 AM

Updated my Leatherneck custom with new chestgear and a paintjob on his hat, and made Sidetrack out of the same base body.

Edited by Detour, 14 July 2013 - 06:12 AM.

#3048 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42195 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 14 2013, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HIGHLIGHT to view:
And then Shadow Tracker hits him with a tree?

#3049 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Jul 14 2013, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HIGHLIGHT to view:
And then Shadow Tracker hits him with a tree?

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Shouldn't that be the new SDCC Bludgeon's job?

Anywho, slight revisitation of Sidetrack with a different chest strap:

Also, a new Spirit custom combining the more "commando" look of his later versions with some more classic colors.

And a repaint of the ROC Neo-Viper based on the deco used for the Action Battler five-inch figure:

#3050 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Regarding Sidetrack: Nightviper's referring to a story in the Club mag where Shadow Tracker was hunting some Joes, Predator-style... except Shadow Tracker was also playing the Dutch role, laying traps for the Joes to stumble into.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Sidetrack pushed someone out of the way of an impalement trap and instead was hit with it himself, taking a large sharpened log right to the chest and dying instantly.

Edited by Lukeblast, 16 July 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#3051 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Did he at least get the chance to pull some rasslin' moves on anyone before biting the dust?

Wait. Sidetrack or Side Track?

#3052 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

C-Cobra Commander Senpai...

• Citizen
  • 2788 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

Detour, like the use of the Green PIT Commando figure, reminds me I need to get one or more of those PIT invasion 5-packs. And that guy makes for a terrific Leatherneck base.

I have to confess I have no idea who Sidetrack or Side Track are.

I wish we had gotten that Neo-Viper on in gold during the RoC.

I took proper pictures of my Ninja Combat Cruiser, now a VAMP.

Also the Eaglehawk is lovely as is the new Lift-Ticket

bonus:

Photobucket blows chunks

#3053 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42195 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 15 2013, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait. Sidetrack or Side Track?

Sidetrack. The clean shaven one.

#3054 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Dr Syn @ Jul 16 2013, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to confess I have no idea who Sidetrack or Side Track are.

When Hasbro went to revive the A Real American Hero line in 2000, they found themselves getting hammered coming and going: not only were a lot of the vintage molds missing and/or damaged, a lot of vintage trademarks had been lost due to simple neglect.

To deal with matters, Hasbro was forced to take what molds they still had and either rename them for vintage characters or make new guys out of them.

One of the trademarks that they no longer had was Ambush, and so they created the first Sidetrack as a cover; although a survivalist and a demolitions expert, IIRC it was reported over on the Devil's Due message boards that some versions of the ARAH Dragonfly release had a decal listing him as the gunner.

From there, the Joe team threw everyone a curve ball and released a new version in 2002 as part of the final ARAH wave. This figure represented a new head slapped on the 1994 Stalker body, and according to the filecard was a completely different person than the one released just two years earlier; in this case, he was named for a Hasbro employee. The legitimacy of this filecard is in dispute, as this was the same wave that brought us the "Greg Scott" Lifeline figure; I recall hearing from someone that the "GSL" filecard was apparently unauthorized and resulted in someone getting fired, leading to questions about whether or not the Sidetrack #2 card was supposed to be legit.

#3055 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

http://www.buildagijoe.com/

This is something that Hasbro's doing to promote the release of the new movie on DVD.

You build your character using a scaled-down version of Hero Machine, then save it and send it in.

The grand prize winner will get a custom figure based on their character, while the second prize winners will get copies of the movie.

The attached image is the guy I made; it's rough compared to what I planned for him to be, but the options list (both parts-wise and MOS-wise) was closest for him as compared to some of the other OCs I had in mind.

By way of comparison, here's the full character concept:

Killswitch

File Name: Rockwell, Orrin P.

Primary Military Specialty: Sniper

Secondary Military Specialty: Electrical Engineer

Place of Birth: Brigham City, Utah

As a child, Killswitch was a prodigy. Having graduated high school at the age of 16, he was apprenticed to his contractor uncle by 17 and had an associate's degree in electrical engineering by 18. Life smiled brightly on this young man, and he smiled right back.

Things changed when his childhood girl friend was killed by a suicide bomber while she and her family were vacationing in Israel. Overnight, a drastic change took place which to this day no one can explain. As if seemingly channeling his (in)famous namesake ancestor, he marched straight down to the campus ROTC office and intimidated the commandant into enrolling him. Whereas he once applied his genius intellect and meticulous patience to wires and circuits, he now applies it to hunting down and dropping any terrorists that cross his path.

"That guy? He worries all of us. When in the field, he doesn't say one word more than he has to; the mission becomes his entire purpose for existing. Back here at base? He doesn't talk very much either, but when he does you'd better listen. I'd say he scares us almost as much as he scares Cobra." - General Hawk.

(pics of the actual custom: #1, #2)

Attached Thumbnails

• GI_Joe_Killswitch_Card.png

#3056 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Shame it's only open to US residents.

#3057 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4461 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

I have a minor quible with the digital version out today:

In the theatre, the location tags were "written" on screen using the "Retaliation" font. While the sound remains, the location names now appear as generic labels at the bottom, as though it was "unfinished".

Wonder if it effects the early digital version or if this error ends up on the physical media copies.

#3058 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

So hey. Who wants to see more customs?

Iron Grenadier

Medi-Viper

Outback

Night Force Gung-Ho

#3059 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16863 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

Man, this is amazing.

I give you Gremlin! Cobra saboteur.

Attached Thumbnails

• GI_Joe_Card.png

Http://www.scatterville.com

#3060 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16863 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

He makes me smile. Its too bad you can't get much more ridiculous than that.

*goes to try*
Http://www.scatterville.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users