Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 July 2019 - 01:33 PM)

So, welcome to all retail, everywhere.

@  Nevermore : (15 July 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Oh, and Greenpeace also conducted a protest at a German Amazon facility, to protest against Amazon's practice of throwing customer returns in the trash.

@  Nevermore : (15 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

Right, because with Amazon, it's just the employees that have to step in dog shit while having no space to breathe.[/slightexaggeration]

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 July 2019 - 01:03 PM)

At least I can use Amazon without losing the ability to breath or step in dog shit.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 July 2019 - 12:58 PM)

Considering that Amazon is the new Walmart...

@  Nevermore : (15 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

All of my best wishes go out to the brave women and men who have the balls (and ovaries) to go on strike at an Amazon facility in the US.

@  Nevermore : (15 July 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Speaking of. Not only are we in Germany on strike today, but so is the fulfillment center in Shakopee, Minnesota!

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 July 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Overnight delivery is the right of all sentient beings.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 July 2019 - 12:34 PM)

(and is it sexist of me to assume that a character named "Amazon Prime" would be feminine?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 July 2019 - 12:34 PM)

Whenever she was summoned, she would arrive the next day?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (15 July 2019 - 12:32 PM)

The Scioli and Barber TF vs Joe series mentioned an Amazon Prime.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 July 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Meanwhile I'm wondering why no one's come up with a fan character named "Amazon Prime". I mean, today IS her special day...

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 July 2019 - 11:20 AM)

The Wallet-Eater.

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2019 - 08:44 AM)

Woah. Unicron broke the site.

@  MEDdMI : (14 July 2019 - 10:08 PM)

Is that what kids are calling it these days?

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2019 - 07:33 PM)

Ssshh, you'll get us both "dealt with".

@  RichardT1977 : (14 July 2019 - 07:28 PM)

No, but I did *read* it from you...

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2019 - 03:06 PM)

The first real long-term space outposts belong to the Illuminati, but you didn't hear that from me.

@  RichardT1977 : (14 July 2019 - 02:50 PM)

Er, in SF I mean.

@  RichardT1977 : (14 July 2019 - 02:50 PM)

Yeah, the first long-term manned space outposts have traditionally been mining colonies and the like.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2019 - 12:19 PM)

Okay, but......do they have to be willing to be sent up?

@  Rycochet : (14 July 2019 - 11:10 AM)

A king isn't a king without subjects.

@  Rycochet : (14 July 2019 - 11:09 AM)

The rich will never flee to space until there's enough an underclass up there so they have someone to do all the jobs they won't. Same reason seasteading never takes off.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2019 - 10:45 AM)

Do we have to let them come back?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 July 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Well, it's only going to be the ultra-rich who are able to go for the first couple decades at least, so I doubt anyone's going to care much

@  Nevermore : (14 July 2019 - 10:32 AM)

They could be standing on the surface of the moon, insist they're in the middle of a giant set, and take off their helmet to "prove" it.

@  Nevermore : (14 July 2019 - 10:31 AM)

Assuming these are genuinely convinced conspiracy morons and not just internet trolls, I would assume "not a lot".

@  Nevermore : (14 July 2019 - 10:31 AM)

I wonder how all these recent private and international space travel programs are going to affect those craziacs who insist that the Earth is flat/the moon landing was forged/outer space isn't real etc.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2019 - 09:34 AM)

Well... rory WOULD love a trebuchet...

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2019 - 09:29 AM)

Trebuchets never go out of style.

@  unluckiness : (14 July 2019 - 09:17 AM)

Have you considered a trapdoor spike pit?

@  unluckiness : (14 July 2019 - 09:17 AM)

It's not the worst gift but not evryone may want one given rising fuel prices.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2019 - 08:22 AM)

Is a fire pit too literal for a house warming gift?

@  Noideaforaname : (14 July 2019 - 07:43 AM)

Welp, just realized everyone's been talking about Halle BAILEY this week, not BERRY. (so that's why i haven't been seeing CatFishWoman memes...)

@  MEDdMI : (14 July 2019 - 07:08 AM)

Oh, sounds like fun.I wonder if I have a decent mic lying around.

@  Pinkcolliebot : (13 July 2019 - 07:26 PM)

Casting call for TF Roll Out Shorts! https://www.behindth...y/casting-call/

@  Kalidor : (13 July 2019 - 03:05 PM)

Talking about the show in chat is absolutely fine - posting spoilers on anything that's current season isn't tho

@  Arazyr : (13 July 2019 - 07:05 AM)

Yeah, I'm a season or so behind, so I would definitely appreciate no spoilers. 8^)

@  Sabrblade : (12 July 2019 - 10:21 PM)

Still, though, yeah, we do have a thread for the show. Best to use it.

@  Sabrblade : (12 July 2019 - 10:20 PM)

I think Nevermore once said he was a few episodes behind, so I don't think he's talking about tonight's new episode.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 July 2019 - 09:53 PM)

Yeah, you realize we have a designated thread for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., right?

@  MEDdMI : (12 July 2019 - 09:35 PM)

Not that I care about the show, but I'd be pretty annoyed about spoilers there. Please post it in a thread.

@  Nevermore : (12 July 2019 - 06:05 PM)

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. The opening of the episode was a deliberate play with clichés, but unfortunately, the rest of the episode that's played straight is also riddled with them...

@  Nevermore : (12 July 2019 - 05:45 PM)

Also, why are they so pissed that Deke built a start-up company? What would they have preferred - him continuing being a freeloader?

@  Nevermore : (12 July 2019 - 05:44 PM)

But now everyone keeps picking up the idiot ball. Geez.

@  Nevermore : (12 July 2019 - 05:43 PM)

That's what I always loved about the show - creative ways to play with tropes and subvert them by making the characters smarter than your typical fictional character doofus.

@  Nevermore : (12 July 2019 - 05:43 PM)

Why is everyone suddenly genre-blind?

@  Nevermore : (12 July 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Wasn't it just last season when Mack was so super-genre-savvy that he insisted on NOT SPLITTING UP?

@  Nevermore : (12 July 2019 - 05:42 PM)

And again, too many characters acting like idiots.

@  Nevermore : (12 July 2019 - 05:41 PM)

Seriously, Agents of SHIELD? Now you're straight ripping off "Alien"?

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9677 replies to this topic

#3001 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7698 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

I try to avoid all aircraft, Joe or otherwise. They're just too big/odd-shaped and take of up too much space.

I see people that display their aircraft on the floor next to their shelves, and I've always felt that it looked too cluttered, even for a toy display.

Short of having an entire squadron suspended from your ceiling or a huge toy room with custom shelves, they're just not that feasible to collect.

As much as I like my Crimson Command Copter, I'm going to have to part with it much sooner than other pieces in my collection.

Edited by Betty Nor, 10 July 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#3002 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

Aw man, I just looked up the ROCC and RHINO, and now I wish Hasbro would make them into Optimus, Magnus, and Springer icon-screamer.gif Even more bummed that there won't be anymore crossovers now.

#3003 FAKER II

FAKER II
  • Citizen
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jul 9 2013, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On top of that, several of the remaining characters have seen their regular versions done by the Club (Dial-Tone, Footloose, SAW-Viper, probably more but I'm tired). I think it would piss a lot of people off to see the regular versions as expensive, limited exclusives while retail gets the repaints.

I know there would be some bickering. But I still think that enough of us would rather have the obscure repaints at regular retail price than no figure at all given how expensive the club figures are. For instance, I would much rather have a regular Dial Tone and Law. But it isn't going to happen given how expensive they are. I'd be grateful if Hasbro released the Sonic Fighters repaints of them at retail. At least I'd have the character at a price I could afford even if it was a more obscure repaint.

Edited by FAKER II, 10 July 2013 - 01:05 PM.

?The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing.? - Blaise Pascal

#3004 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38665 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(Betty Nor @ Jul 9 2013, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I try to avoid all aircraft, Joe or otherwise. They're just too big/odd-shaped and take of up too much space.

I'd love to agree with you, but almost all my favorite vehicles outside of the HISS and its iterations are Cobra aircraft. Actually, pretty much the only vehicles I've ever bought are all Cobra. That sweet, sweet Cobra Hurricane and Mamba...

QUOTE(Aberration @ Jul 10 2013, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even more bummed that there won't be anymore crossovers now.

Eh? Why's that?

QUOTE(FAKER II @ Jul 10 2013, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On top of that, several of the remaining characters have seen their regular versions done by the Club (Dial-Tone, Footloose, SAW-Viper, probably more but I'm tired). I think it would piss a lot of people off to see the regular versions as expensive, limited exclusives while retail gets the repaints.

I know there would be some bickering. But I still think that enough of us would rather have the obscure repaints at regular retail price than no figure at all given how expensive the club figures are. For instance, I would much rather have a regular Dial Tone and Law. But it isn't going to happen given how expensive they are. I'd be grateful if Hasbro released the Sonic Fighters repaints of them at retail. At least I'd have the character at a price I could afford even if it was a more obscure repaint.

Am I the only person who'd rather have new stuff at retail and for the Club to distribute the rehashes? More Data Vipers and Hazard Vipers and Shadow Trackers and whatever new Joe guys have appeared (any?), less "Beachhead now in darker tan with three more guns!".
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#3005 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE(Spark @ Jul 10 2013, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Aberration @ Jul 10 2013, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even more bummed that there won't be anymore crossovers now.

Eh? Why's that?

This year's SDCC Hound/Jetfire says "The Epic Conclusion!" on the box, which sounds like they're done with Joe vehicles as Transformers, sadly.

#3006 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4479 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

QUOTE(Dake @ Jul 9 2013, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone playing the new GI Joe Battlegrounds? Similar but different than the Transformers game by the same folks. The artwork similarly is an odd combination of new and borrowed stuff. Some are old card-back illustrations while others are more modern updates.

Yeah, I've been playing (invite code is 7yigRr if anyone hasn't downloaded yet. I'm one Stormy away from an "impure" Epic level card!). During a lull in TF Legends I tried Blood Brothers from the same comany: it's the same game, albeit in GI Joe flavor.

A good bit more complex, and leveling up takes a LOT more time, worst than TF Legends ever was, so it's unlikely I'll ever get a "pure" epic card from this game. Has some of the same flaws as Legends, in that, the common and uncommon cards are basically worthless aside from fodder for skills or credits. Used some Moba coins and got a couple Lady Jayes, an epic Xamot, Shipwreck and a couple rare Fireflys.
Need more "rare" Joes though...

#3007 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE(Spark @ Jul 10 2013, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(FAKER II @ Jul 10 2013, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Am I the only person who'd rather have new stuff at retail and for the Club to distribute the rehashes? More Data Vipers and Hazard Vipers and Shadow Trackers and whatever new Joe guys have appeared (any?), less "Beachhead now in darker tan with three more guns!".

Thing is, not only are Club prices so high as to be out of reach for a lot of collectors, a lot of us fans still remember the data breach incident and so wouldn't do business with them even if they had the money in the first place.

As a result, seeing the "original" versions of long hoped-for figures like Dial-Tone and Footloose released as Club exclusives rather than mass-market was a sucker punch a la "how Surefire and Big Brawler got their file names". (I was on the Devil's Due Publishing forums at the time. Not pretty.)

What's more, a number of the other guys, like Lifeline and the Techno-Viper, disappeared shortly after hitting shelves, leaving a lot of fans without.

With the recolors, however, that gives us fans a final chance to get these figures at prices most of us can actually, potentially afford. What's more, it would help Hasbro pad out future production waves by letting them have "new" figures and product with minimal costs. For example, Flint and Roadblock are in the spotlight right now due to the movie, and so Hasbro would likely be putting more of them out in future waves anyway; by going for Tiger Force Roadblock and Battle Corps Rangers Flint, they'll have a triple play on their hands: happy kids ("New Flint and Roadblock!"), happy collectors ("Tiger Force and BCR are getting love after all this time!"), and happy accountants ("Only a single new head mold between two new figures!").

What's more, the money saved by using redecos to help pad out individual waves will give Hasbro a little more money to spend elsewhere. For example, I'd be cool with a Tiger Force Bazooka taking a spot in a wave if it meant that, say, we could get a 1991-style Sci-Fi with full gear instead of a 1991 Sci-Fi with just his laser rifle and backpack.

Even having these things as store exclusives (like TRU or Wal-Mart) would be better than having them be Club-exclusive or just not releasing them at all. After all, most of us can get to a TRU or a Wal-Mart relatively easily and so we'd still have a fighting chance of getting our hands on them.

#3008 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38665 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Quite honestly, these would do better basically anywhere but the shelves, especially at current prices. Go for BBTS box sets or something. Target the online fans, since that's pretty much all Joe's got when it comes to stuff like this.

#3009 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Spark @ Jul 10 2013, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite honestly, these would do better basically anywhere but the shelves, especially at current prices. Go for BBTS box sets or something. Target the online fans, since that's pretty much all Joe's got when it comes to stuff like this.

BBTS isn't much better, as they bundle everything into boxed sets that, like the Club figures, are simply too expensive for a lot of fans to seriously consider.

#3010 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38665 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm getting the feeling "fans" in most of these cases just means "me". Sometimes a boxed set is the only way to get the less desirable characters to move in the first place.

#3011 the last prince

the last prince

Something about an oblong crotch

• Citizen
  • 855 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Well the best part about having those "must have" figures like Dial tone and Footloose as club incentives is that it gives people an incentive to join the club. I know I would feel bummed to have a redeco of cobra commander as a club incentive as opposed to getting a figure hasbro hasn't gotten around to. Sometimes that's going to be the way to get some of the more collector drawn stuff than to expect it at retail. The retail market just seems poor still. They can't release all of the wanted figures all of the time.

#3012 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20577 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE(Spark @ Jul 10 2013, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm getting the feeling "fans" in most of these cases just means "me". Sometimes a boxed set is the only way to get the less desirable characters to move in the first place.

Pretty much, yeah. If you want a Dial-Tone that badly, nothing's stopping you from customizing one from what's available at retail, or hit a comic shop that might still have a few older figures, or scout ebay for deals to get fodder.

Plus, a lot of these, we've had new, single-carded, readily-available figures of very recently (Tunnel Rat, Airtight, Lifeline, Law & Order, Dusty, Viper, Roadblock, Ripcord, Shipwreck, Rock-Viper, Techno-Viper, Flint) with a number of others coming up in the very near future (Roadblock, Flint, Jinx) so releasing them in rather garish colors isn't a wise marketing strategy.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3013 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4479 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

I still find an odd disparity among Joe collectors (or even how Joe is perceived among "multi line" collectors) view of the brand:
Joe collectors have been resistant to acknowledging the fact GI Joe is NOT a thriving property, and many of the things taken for granted (like the collector focused figures and the often "lower than par" retail price) were done to try and SELL the line. And it hasn't worked. On top of that, you have the vintage RAH line, which was produced and sold in such massive quantities, many pieces remain exceptionally affordable (often more so than the modern product!).

BUT, we've reached a point where Hasbro has seemingly lost a lot of faith in the brand's ability to perform, and downsized accordingly, thus leaving the club as the only reliable venue for a LOT of potential product. But fans are used to the line being a cheap mass market item (even when catering to collector tastes, like 25th).

The fans (as a general rule) still don't view their product as "collectibles", but still want to be treated as though they are. Does that make any sense?

#3014 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20577 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

Thanks to the fine folks at Raginspoon, I now have a more permanent belt for my HISS Driver:

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3015 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38665 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE(Steevy Maximus @ Jul 11 2013, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still find an odd disparity among Joe collectors (or even how Joe is perceived among "multi line" collectors) view of the brand:
Joe collectors have been resistant to acknowledging the fact GI Joe is NOT a thriving property, and many of the things taken for granted (like the collector focused figures and the often "lower than par" retail price) were done to try and SELL the line. And it hasn't worked. On top of that, you have the vintage RAH line, which was produced and sold in such massive quantities, many pieces remain exceptionally affordable (often more so than the modern product!).

BUT, we've reached a point where Hasbro has seemingly lost a lot of faith in the brand's ability to perform, and downsized accordingly, thus leaving the club as the only reliable venue for a LOT of potential product. But fans are used to the line being a cheap mass market item (even when catering to collector tastes, like 25th).

The fans (as a general rule) still don't view their product as "collectibles", but still want to be treated as though they are. Does that make any sense?

Well, the latest movie and its toyline seem to have reversed some of that, but I'm still of the mind that the best thing for G. I. Joe would be to basically ignore the fans, particularly the most hardcore ones. Unfortunately, since one of said fans is in charge of the brand right now, that won't happen and neither will any risks. At least, not outside of stupid ones like hacking away articulation despite multiple past experiences showing that doesn't fix anything.

#3016 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51742 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

Joe desperately needs a Beast Wars level reimagining.

card-strongarm.jpg

#3017 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20577 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:07 AM

They tried with Renegades... But the fandom at large complained about it relentlessly, Hasbro decided not to go forward with a full toyline support and they decided not to renew it for a second season.
Just a lot of boneheadedness with what could've given Joe that much-needed breath of fresh air.

#3018 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

Wouldn't Extreme be Joe's Beast Wars? I wonder if things would've gone differently for that iteration if it was the same characters and story, but with more traditional toys.

#3019 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

C-Cobra Commander Senpai...

• Citizen
  • 2788 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

Detour your HiSS driver is wonderful.

QUOTE(Aberration @ Jul 12 2013, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldn't Extreme be Joe's Beast Wars? I wonder if things would've gone differently for that iteration if it was the same characters and story, but with more traditional toys.

Technically A Real American Hero or Adventure Team was G.I. Joes Beastwars, either the switch from Military to punching yetis or going from 1/6 to 1/18 scale, that shook up the brand that started in the 60s.

I'll take whatever good stuff they can squeeze out for the 4inch figures. I don't expect it to last forever.

Edited by Dr Syn, 12 July 2013 - 03:46 AM.

Photobucket blows chunks

#3020 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7698 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

And what about Sigma 6? That was a pretty gross departure (toy-wise).

No, G.I. Joe just needs a way to capture the new generation. They need a TMNT-esque revolution.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users