Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (23 July 2019 - 07:23 AM)

anything burns if it gets hot enough.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 07:12 AM)

That's why you should keep your under-the-bed money in gold and silver--that won't burn!

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9689 replies to this topic

#2941 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18904 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

To each their own. The Tread Ripper was designed as the HISS Scout, so it was tweaked to look like the vehicle from the film. That being said it follows in the fine tradition of most Joe vehicles of being highly impractical and fairly dangerous for its operators - if nothing else, at least it has a roll cage and not just an open cockpit like the Scout. It's more practical than the Armadillo for example. Comparing it to the Mole Pod is just mean. icon-waspy.gif

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#2942 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7701 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(Dake @ Jun 29 2013, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Target is draconian in their clearancing before resets. Then again - when it comes to this line I am not trusting to retail for the tail end.

Yeah, but most of the time clearance means that DPCI isn't going to be carried anymore.

So unless Joes are coming in under a new DPCI, which they might if they're getting new packaging/branding, it would seem it's possible they're not sticking around at Target for much longer.

Edited by Betty Nor, 30 June 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#2943 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20582 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(Dake @ Jun 30 2013, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To each their own. The Tread Ripper was designed as the HISS Scout, so it was tweaked to look like the vehicle from the film. That being said it follows in the fine tradition of most Joe vehicles of being highly impractical and fairly dangerous for its operators - if nothing else, at least it has a roll cage and not just an open cockpit like the Scout. It's more practical than the Armadillo for example. Comparing it to the Mole Pod is just mean. icon-waspy.gif

Eh, it's all just fun.
GI Joe isn't the main military, I see them handling these somewhat riskier, yet faster, more specialized and more expensive vehicles because they're the best.
Who wants to see Steeler sit in the commander chair of a plain Abrams when he could be tearing through Cobra platoons on the Tread Ripper?

And really? I like the mole pod! It's a great vehicle that fits its purpose perfectly! I have all three versions.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#2944 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Dake @ Jun 30 2013, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That being said it follows in the fine tradition of most Joe vehicles of being highly impractical and fairly dangerous for its operators

This right here is where I stand on it. GI Joe is military fantasy, and this looks like the sort of thing I'd expect to (and technically did!) see in a military fantasy film. It's actually rather tame compared to some of the crazy stuff the Joes have tooled around in over the years, and... *glances at the Cobra motor pool* I'll stop before I start taking cheap shots.

Amusingly, in the Club comics, Low-Light saw the original HISS Scouts and cheerfully commented on how "those open cockpits are a sniper's dream". While clearly coincidence, it's still pretty amusing and fitting that the first thing the Joes do when they get their hands on the design is add a roll cage. icon-fire.gif

It's a fun little toy. Nothing amazing, but I don't regret the purchase.

#2945 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18904 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Exactly, I like the Tread Ripper myself. I would rather it kept the moving tracks from the HISS Scout, but the molded ones are what makes it look closer to the movie vehicle.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#2946 MightyMegs

MightyMegs
  • Citizen
  • 4234 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

I tried to add red to my modern Televiper, to make him more 'viperish'... but I dunno. Red, or classic purple accents?

#2947 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7701 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

Classic purple is nice for nostalgia's sake, but I gotta say that after seeing the red and it's actual-viper-like quality, I'm going with red.

#2948 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE(Dr Syn @ Jun 29 2013, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is all my own stupid opinion

It's rather dumb, doesn't look much if anything like the actual vehicle.

The driver sits so far down that if you plug the big gap between the cage canopy (that extends beyond the vehicle's front) he can't see where he's going. The weapons when both are mounted can't rotate 360 any-more since they bash into each other. I'd say it's one of the worst vehicles since the VvsV NEUTRALIZER, the Mole Pod is a better vehicle than this.

It's just a poorly thought out vehicle. I'd say go get a PTE tank or track down a RoC Armored Panther.

It is save-able, if you are prepared to do a ton of scratch building and hours of work

All this and yet you couldn't warn me about how the driver area was retooled to be a lot less roomy?
Fitting my bulky Steeler in there has been a herculean task... Might have to give this one to Cover Girl when I get her finished and wait for something else for Steeler....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#2949 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Earlier today USA aired an old episode of NCIS entitled "Identity Crisis".

The corpse of the week was an ex-con operating under the name "Marvin Hinton". He had agreed to work undercover for the FBI in exchange for a new lease on life, and his point of contact was an agent named "Courtney Kreiger".

I had to point this one out to my mom, who totally missed it.

#2950 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

C-Cobra Commander Senpai...

• Citizen
  • 2790 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 3 2013, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Dr Syn @ Jun 29 2013, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is all my own stupid opinion

It's rather dumb, doesn't look much if anything like the actual vehicle.

The driver sits so far down that if you plug the big gap between the cage canopy (that extends beyond the vehicle's front) he can't see where he's going. The weapons when both are mounted can't rotate 360 any-more since they bash into each other. I'd say it's one of the worst vehicles since the VvsV NEUTRALIZER, the Mole Pod is a better vehicle than this.

It's just a poorly thought out vehicle. I'd say go get a PTE tank or track down a RoC Armored Panther.

It is save-able, if you are prepared to do a ton of scratch building and hours of work

All this and yet you couldn't warn me about how the driver area was retooled to be a lot less roomy?
Fitting my bulky Steeler in there has been a herculean task... Might have to give this one to Cover Girl when I get her finished and wait for something else for Steeler....

I... don't know what your Steeler looks like.
Photobucket blows chunks

#2951 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Jul 3 2013, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The corpse of the week was an ex-con operating under the name "Marvin Hinton". He had agreed to work undercover for the FBI in exchange for a new lease on life, and his point of contact was an agent named "Courtney Kreiger".

And yet you missed Robert Graves, Shannon O'Hara and Carl Greer.

QUOTE(Dr Syn @ Jul 3 2013, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But really it was more about the limited figure space compared to the HISS Scout, than about my figure proper.

Edited by Detour, 03 July 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#2952 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 3 2013, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was in and out of the room, so I probably did miss those.

#2953 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

• Citizen
  • 2790 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 3 2013, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Jul 3 2013, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE(Dr Syn @ Jul 3 2013, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But really it was more about the limited figure space compared to the HISS Scout, than about my figure proper.

That's a good Steeler. I didn't know about the space reduction compared to the HiSS Scout (haven't got one yet/ever).

MightyMegs, I'd go with the knee pads, holster, pouches and arm guards matching the dark purple on the vest.
Photobucket blows chunks

#2954 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Dr Syn @ Jul 3 2013, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a good Steeler. I didn't know about the space reduction compared to the HiSS Scout (haven't got one yet/ever).

http://www.yojoe.com.../3047/30619.jpg
http://www.yojoe.com.../3574/39080.jpg
They filled in a large segment of the driver's area, in the back.

#2955 MightyMegs

MightyMegs
  • Citizen
  • 4234 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

MightyMegs, I'd go with the knee pads, holster, pouches and arm guards matching the dark purple on the vest.

I didn't do the kneepads... but here he is in purple. Better than red? And should I paint the vest the lighter purple?

Edited by MightyMegs, 03 July 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#2956 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

• Citizen
  • 2790 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(MightyMegs @ Jul 3 2013, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't do the kneepads... but here he is in purple. Better than red? And should I paint the vest the lighter purple?

If anything just paint the lighter purple to match the vest, or leave as is. It works for me.
Photobucket blows chunks

#2957 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

I think if the kneepads and boots were painted the same deep purple as the vest, it'd be a solid look.

#2958 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20582 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Decided to improve upon the POC HISS Driver by removing the ill-fitting armor and painting the sculpted armor beneath:

The belt is a placeholder borrowed from a Captain America figure, until I can find something else that fits this surprisingly narrow waist.

And in honor of Big Brawler Day, here's my Big Brawler custom. The head was too perfect.

#2959 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20582 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:30 AM

Sorry for tripleposting... but viperskingdom has the SDCC exclusive figures up for auction on ebay!

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item5af2d296c3
http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item5af2d2a7b2
http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item5af2d2ab6d
http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item3f26c8321c
http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item53fac8276a

I don't really care much for non-transforming Joe vehicles colored like TFs, but those figures are just splendid!

Edited by Detour, 04 July 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#2960 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42252 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

I'll have to keep an eye on Baroness and Ravage. Those are the only parts of the set that I'm really interested in.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users