Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM)

It's like drawing someone in the "superhero landing" pose. It's just part of the cultural vocabulary at this point.

@  Arazyr : (25 June 2019 - 07:14 PM)

I can hear that post... *shudder*

@  B-Fox : (25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM)

So why does Cyberverse sound like . . . *that*?

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 June 2019 - 10:44 AM)

Only if you ask nicely, Silv.

@  RichardT1977 : (21 June 2019 - 09:42 AM)

1998 Zilla is the Gaijin era.

Photo
- - - - -

The GIJOE Thread;

9674 replies to this topic

#2181 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm not expecting Citizen Kane. How were the effects though? What probably bugged me the most about the first film was just how cheesy the effects looked. That cheese only allowed one to focus on the weak story line.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#2182 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7697 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

If you're talking about the slo-mo scenes from the first one, there's none of that nonsense.
I can't really think of any time where the effects were gaudy. Now, the elements leading to those effects (e.g. plot devices, crisis resolution) will drive you nuts. Whoever wrote this movie should be banished to whatever realm Uwe Boll got sent to. The story is absolute garbage, and any character growth is forced and disjointed from the rest of the film.

Also, I hated the whole, "My name is Firefly, so I use Fireflies, and that's why they call me Firefly" thing that they did to the Firefly character. Also, Firefly gets a nasty case of Venom from Spider-Man III.
"Time to fight! MASK OFF!"

There were some moments of humour in the film that were kind of refreshing, if not a little out of place at times.

So yeah, this film was just a disjointed hodge-podge of different elements and poor writing that tried to tie itself into an actual movie. If the essence of the first 20 minutes could have made its way through the whole film, it would have been a lot better. It almost seems as though the film got studio-jacked, and someone else took over for the rest of the film. It's really a night-day difference.

#2183 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42194 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

From everything I've seen and read, I fully expect this movie to be a collection of action scenes with almost no story to tie them together... and yet I still want to see it.

So what you say makes a lot of sense, but really isn't lessening my desire to watch it. I may, however, now wait for a cheaper showing than the premiere. And skip the 3D.

#2184 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42194 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

COOOBRAAAAA!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• jp_cobra.jpg

#2185 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16861 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Yes!

I need to take pictures of my dinos & joes. They're great. What's that saddle from?
Http://www.scatterville.com

#2186 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42194 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 24 2013, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes!

I need to take pictures of my dinos & joes. They're great. What's that saddle from?

Indiana Jones' horse.

#2187 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

So jealous.

They're TRU exclusives. I'm not gonna see em here. icon-screamer.gif

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#2188 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16861 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

Can you order from their website? If so, you can still get em!

Unless you can't, then sorry for the tease.

#2189 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 24 2013, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you order from their website? If so, you can still get em!

Unless you can't, then sorry for the tease.

Nope. Didn't even know they were on there, but no. Because of the language laws, they won't even SHIP them to my home address. icon-megs.gif

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#2190 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16861 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

What a joke. Sorry to hear. In theory, how difficult would it be for an individual to ship them to you? If they were bought here?

#2191 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

No more difficult than any of the other trillion times I had people in the States ship stuff to me... but given its size, I'm just not sure it'd be worth the shipping costs... Especially if it's 30$ for you guys (TRU.ca's listing had them at 26.99$, at least...).

#2192 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE(Dake @ Mar 24 2013, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not expecting Citizen Kane. How were the effects though? What probably bugged me the most about the first film was just how cheesy the effects looked. That cheese only allowed one to focus on the weak story line.

I never understood that criticism... the CGI and the action looked fine to me when I saw the first movie - twice. The various vehicles were awesome, in fact.

#2193 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

The vehicles weren't bad. It was more that they spent their budget on the Eiffel Tower destruction and all the other little things were relegated to Sci-Fi Original Movie status.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#2194 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE(BB Shockwave @ Mar 25 2013, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Dake @ Mar 24 2013, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never understood that criticism... the CGI and the action looked fine to me when I saw the first movie - twice. The various vehicles were awesome, in fact.

When you see the Howler flying over the Egyptian desert and it's clearly a rendered shot that looks less realistic than season 1 of Beast Wars, that's not "fine".

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first movie. I left the theater feeling like I'd just watched two hours of the cartoon, and that was great. But on repeated viewings, the movie became more and more unsatisfactory to me (not just visually, in terms of plot and dialogue too). I can still watch and enjoy it, but it's massively flawed on just about every level.

#2195 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64866 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Yeah that helicopter thing looks particularly bad. It doesn't help that it doesn't have any windows in front, making it look even more like a bad CG shot.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#2196 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4461 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Mar 25 2013, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first movie. I left the theater feeling like I'd just watched two hours of the cartoon, and that was great. But on repeated viewings, the movie became more and more unsatisfactory to me (not just visually, in terms of plot and dialogue too). I can still watch and enjoy it, but it's massively flawed on just about every level.

That said, I still think as an overall film, RoC WAS better than Revenge of the Fallen for what THAT'S worth icon-waspy.gif

I enjoyed RoC for what it was (again, I REALLY liked the first and third Transformers films), though I think I've given a tad bit a pass knowing just how STUPIDLY rushed the production of it was (it basically went from some script scraps to finished product in less than 6 months, including significant design changes occurring WHILE FILMING. The fact it WASN'T a complete crapfest is still nothing short of miraculous).

These days, I tend to view RoC with a slight sense of frustration, more than anything because I can see a solid movie trying to scratch its way out. The re-imaginging of Cobra Commander as disgruntled and disfigured/crippled vet I think is a GREAT wrinkle to add to the character (and I think makes him more resonant to today's audiences, being Duke's former friend I think could also have played well). Destro's plan, as basic as it is, is delightfully simple and again portrays him as a man/CEO more about money than anything (again, something that would resonate with current audiences). The ninjas, as well done as they are within the film, just weren't necessary at all to the film's key plot points. And all said and done, I really didn't mind the film's version of Ripcord (which was good because he was the ONLY one with any real personality). Vosloo's Zartan was quite enjoyable (for how little he was present) and if nothing else, gave one of the BEST sequel setups any film could ask for.

There were GOOD film concepts and story there, it just lacked a good vision to bring it all together (again, not helped by a production cycled stupidly short for a $170 million film)

QUOTE(Powered Convoy @ Mar 25 2013, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah that helicopter thing looks particularly bad. It doesn't help that it doesn't have any windows in front, making it look even more like a bad CG shot.
Randy

To be fair, I kind of see what they were trying for (that the thing was flown via cameras/GPS/sensors/other technical means, perhaps even to "add" to its stealth element, same with the smooth lines). Hasbro did something similar with the 2010/11 HISS tank. But like a LOT of elements in RoC, it just kind of looked "unfinished" (always reminded me of an early "wind tunnel" design mockup, not a functioning aircraft, it was just "too clean")

Rotten Tomatoes have started posting reviews, as of the time I'm posting, it is running a 73% Fresh average. Granted, mostly from internet reviewers who I feel are more apt to enjoy this movie for what it is. I fully expect to the rating to drop into the 60s once "real reviews" start getting posted. Nonetheless, I think it is tracking to be better reviewed that RoC as a whole. And I think this will end up a "Transformers" situation where many reviewers will take it to task for a thin plot and likely weak dialog, while others are going to enjoy it in a "fun popcorn" way. I really think a majority of average movie goers who got made Transformers into a billion dollar franchise are probably going to like it.

I'm checking to see if my theatre is among those running an earlier showing Tuesday or Wednesday, but I might simply have to wait until Thursday.

#2197 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16861 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I just want it to be done good enough to get a third one. I feel like G.I.Joe as a concept still has a shot at bringing people in to the fold.

Someone should be able to crack the code.

#2198 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20573 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 25 2013, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just want it to be done good enough to get a third one. I feel like G.I.Joe as a concept still has a shot at bringing people in to the fold.

Agreed.

#2199 Lancer

Lancer

I don't care

• Citizen
  • 24778 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Mar 25 2013, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Mar 25 2013, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.

For all the crap I give Michael Bay, I think he'd do a "good" job with it. Hell, just use Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson as Duke and Roadblock, and we've got a film. I mean, c'mon - a crack team of military commandos fighting insane terrorists with crazy superweapons - I'd think Bay'd do good with that concept, at least financially.

Plus, the nerdrage would be epic icon-waspy.gif

Edited by Spin Out, 25 March 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#2200 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16861 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

I also agree. I think I'd probably love his version of the Dreadnoks.

I mean, hell, with a few tweaks Armegeddon is already a G.I.Joe plot. Then again Ialso like the idea of Steve Buscemi as a member of Cobra.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users