Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

@  Nevermore : (07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Wishful thinking, rumor or leak?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Snapdragon for Earthrise.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 December 2019 - 10:22 PM)

Still not the weirdest thing a Nic Cage character has done in a film

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 04:00 PM)

Couldn't be worse than him pissing fire as Ghost Rider.

@  Rycochet : (04 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

The Tim Burton Superman Movie is the DC movie we deserve. It would have Nic Cage in a technosuit punching polarbears.

@  Paladin : (04 December 2019 - 02:59 PM)

Wonder Woman was great. Shazam was amazing. Aquaman... exists.

@  RichardT1977 : (04 December 2019 - 01:54 PM)

TBF, Aquaman and Shazam! were pretty good.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Not a difficult feat.

@  Benbot : (04 December 2019 - 11:50 AM)

You just put more effort into telling a compelling story than all of WB's execs.

@  Cybersnark : (04 December 2019 - 11:41 AM)

Cue the flashback to Jonathan, reassuring a terrified child: "What you are is never as important as who you are." Cue Superman's response to Brainiac: "I already know who I am."*John Williams fanfare plays*

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The G.I. Joe Thread

9843 replies to this topic

#1301 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Aug 5 2012, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Spark @ Aug 5 2012, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since the SDCC Marvel Helicarrier sold, that may be a viable option for Joe bases in the future, but the regular store shelves definitely won't tolerate them anymore. I think it's fair to say that anything over $20 in the vehicle department isn't going to sell much at all.

What's the difference between the SDCC Helicarrier and the retail one?

About a foot.

#1302 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20674 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

So... what, they upscaled it?

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#1303 Liege

Liege

Deathsaurus Rising

• Supporter
  • 4863 posts
  • Location:Providence RI (Formerly Pittsburgh PA &amp; Wales UK)
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

No there's a larger middle section of the ship.
QUOTE(NightViper @ Aug 3 2013, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Escargon @ Aug 1 2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And Liege, you're words really have had an effect on me. It made me relise I've shouldn't care about what others think of me, I should only care about what I think of myself.

Liege is a small dude with a lot of wisdom.

Well one of those descriptive words is accurate I suppose!

3ds friend code: kyle 4141 2965 5460 pm me yours to add.

#1304 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Someone just pointed out to me that Jinx has her real name at the top of her file card AND in the text, but the card says "FILE NAME: Classified". icon-blitz.gif

It would be bad on anyone, but on an intelligence operative... yeesh.

#1305 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Aug 5 2012, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it's pretty unfair to use the Pitt as justification for "playsets don't sell' as it is soooo much lamer than any of the 80s bases. It's really bad, incomplete and unfun compaired to any of them.

It was more than just the PIT; the issue actually goes back at least as far as 2002.

Hasbro had planned to re-release the 1992 headquarters back in 1999 as part of a planned third assortment of TRU-exclusive product (it would have come with desert-camo versions of Dial Tone, Dusty, and Outback), but the line was cancelled and went idle while Hasbro worked on the mass-release reboot.

Because the molds were ready to go, the decision was made that the playset would be released in 2002 as a test to see whether or not the fandom would go for larger sets. However, there were rumors circulating that Hasbro had the 1983 headquarters and USS Flagg waiting in the wings, and so a number of fans chose to save their money; while individuals might have liked the set, on the whole it's near the bottom of the list in regards to popularity. The fact that Hasbro took Flint figure and named it "Rock & Roll" didn't help matters any.

The end result was that the '92 headquarters playset was such a dud that Hasbro had to recall the overstock and repackage it to represent the shift over to Joe Vs. Cobra so that they didn't have obviously "old" stock on the shelves; as part of it, they gave into the collectors and officially let Flint have his old name back.

With the headquarters sitting on the shelves for a full two years before they finally all moved out, Hasbro was hesitant about letting more big playsets go. After some prodding from the collectors, however, they gave in... and re-released the Mobile Command Center. Not only was the MCC down near the bottom of the list with the '92 Headquarters, Hasbro threw in the 2001 version of Leatherneck rather than the original driver... even though the original driver was depicted in the packaging mock-up.

Cue the MCC being an even worse dud than the 1992 headquarters.

The PIT was the first "big" playset since 2004, and as we all know it was a massive flop.

My guess is that Hasbro looked at the early production samples for the Helicarrier, changed their skivvies, and ordered the regular production sets to be a full foot shorter. Thus, the longer SDCC Helicarriers were likely said early production samples.

#1306 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20674 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Why do you always get your facts so wrong, FI?

For starters, it's well known that the planned 1998 desert HQ was intended as a re-release of the 1983 Headquarters.

And for seconders, Hasbro didn't recall diddle. They just kept the production run going in a new packaging because the whole brand had shifted. You seriously overestimate the hatred for the '92 HQ. As do you the hatred for the Mobile Command Center.

And yeah... I'm pretty sure the SDCC Helicarrier isn't production samples since production samples DON'T WORK THAT WAY.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#1307 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39177 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Plus the Marvel team doesn't have any direct effect on the Joe team and vice versa. I was just pointing out a possible sales trend.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#1308 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

If the MMC was so hated and languished on the shelves, why was I never able to find one?

Edited by Lukeblast, 06 August 2012 - 12:48 PM.

#1309 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39177 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Clearly because a Hasbro rep came and hated it right into a dumpster.

#1310 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Aug 6 2012, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the MMC was so hated and languished on the shelves, why was I never able to find one?

The handful we got down here just sat for a little over a year.

Also, when most of this was going on I was a member of the Devil's Due Publishing message boards; due to all the emphasis they were giving their Joe titles, it was basically a Joe fansite with extra trappings.

Quite a bit of wailing and gnashing of teeth when we didn't get the rumored 83 HQ or USS Flagg.

#1311 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20674 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Yep. Just like I'm certain the IDW message boards are representative of the fandom as a whole.

#1312 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4619 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Aug 6 2012, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"YMMV"
I know in late 2004, I was able to get one from a buddy in New York City, where he was able to get the thing for $20 (plus another $20 to ship it to me...). Said there was a pile of them and I've heard similar stores from other collectors.
And don't forget the flop of the Cobra Mountain playset in 2003.
But playsets are the epitome of the "big ticket item", something 3.75 Joe hasn't had real success with since leaving retail back in 2005. The Moray was a shelfwarmer, the entire DTC range was an almost embarrassing flop, the 2.5 Sigma Six stuff was all reduced by over 30% JUST TO MOVE. And even discounting the PITT because of its $100 price tag, the Night Raven was actually a worse performer with its $40 price tag

But even with Joe's less than stellar history with playsets...the WHOLE DAMNED MARKET has been weak against playsets dating back to 2005. The market isn't as robust as it used to be (even compared to the 90s), and the general market trend has been "against" playsets for a while. Even STar Wars doesn't technically get "playsets", they get "big vehicles" which happen to work as "playsets".

The last few playsets I know of were the Pirates ship with the last movie (which NOTHING really did well it seems), The Lair of Omens for Thundercats (which was nothing more than a few pillars, a couple mini-vehicles, and an elevator to keep the price at $40) and the NickToons Ninja Turtles Sewer Playset (which is MIA due to lack of retailer interest)
At this point, costs have gotten to the point a "traditional" playset is going to exceed a retail cost of $50..at which point they are fighting against video games and "lots of smaller stuff" for sales.

#1313 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20674 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

I dunno... it's all a matter of what you put into it.
With the PIT, a little "less is more" would've gone a long way.

This new Batcave playset is scaled for 5" figures and was ringing up 40$ at Walmart today:
http://www.entertain...?number=MTW7220

For 4" figures this thing goes from cramped to pretty darn spacious.

QUOTE(Steevy Maximus @ Aug 6 2012, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cobra Mountain flopped because Cobra Mountain sucks.

Edited by Detour, 06 August 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#1314 MightyMegs

MightyMegs
  • Citizen
  • 4242 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Aug 6 2012, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This new Batcave playset is scaled for 5" figures and was ringing up 40$ at Walmart today:

QUOTE(Steevy Maximus @ Aug 6 2012, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cobra Mountain flopped because Cobra Mountain sucks.

Yeah... I loved all the Battle Droid and Super Battle Droid parts left sculpted on the base...

#1315 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20674 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(MightyMegs @ Aug 6 2012, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah... I loved all the Battle Droid and Super Battle Droid parts left sculpted on the base...

I could've forgiven that if the rest of the playset didn't suck so much.

But you have an isolated throne with missiles on top, a helipad that leads nowhere, a really goofy looking gun turret, a jail cell that's only accessible via trap door and considering its elevation it's an impractical entry point in and of itself.

The only good thing I can say about it is "the main floor is a sorta neat display piece", which is a sucky thing to say about a two story playset.

#1316 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4619 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Aug 6 2012, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That basically supports my point about Playsets: that would barely be 1/3 a playset 15 years ago. Back then, $40 could get you a repaint of the Kenner Batcave...which is LEAGUES BETTER than that.

#1317 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Excluding the Pit, I can't even remember the last mainstream playset that I bought. It might have actually been a Batcave repaint. You're totally right, tho. Just like Transformers, the playsets from yester-year are leagues ahead of where playsets are now in terms of playability/fun-factor/design/size.

I guess that reminds me. I did buy the DotM Ark on clearance.

Sky Garry > The Ark.

#1318 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20674 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Steevy Maximus @ Aug 6 2012, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That basically supports my point about Playsets: that would barely be 1/3 a playset 15 years ago. Back then, $40 could get you a repaint of the Kenner Batcave...which is LEAGUES BETTER than that.

Yeah, but production costs have gone up due to numerous factors over the past fifteen years. Complaining about how much less stuff cost 15 years ago is like talking about how many miles you had to walk to school every day. In knee-high snow.

#1319 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39177 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Playsets just really aren't viable these days.

I recall back in the '80s that only the pretty well-off kids had playsets and the space to use them, but their modern well-off equivalents have the latest video games and systems instead. I can't really think of who big playsets would appeal to anymore outside of collectors, so SDCC again comes up as the most viable outlet.

#1320 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20674 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

Yeah, which is why keeping playsets at a 40$-and-under limit is the wiser way to go.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users