Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The G.I. Joe Thread

10328 replies to this topic

#10221 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67470 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:06 AM

In that episode on YouTube do they cut the part where his wife and daughter are pointing weapons at him? Always bothered me that that scene was cut in certain airings of the episode.

ACItEK8.png

#10222 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9112 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

Somebody wake me up when the first five-parter of the DiC era is on Tubi or YouTube.

#10223 Greebtron

Greebtron
  • Citizen
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:01 PM

In that episode on YouTube do they cut the part where his wife and daughter are pointing weapons at him? Always bothered me that that scene was cut in certain airings of the episode.

The original version has basically become the animation equivalent of an unperson.  See here: https://www.youtube....h?v=SHVruJwG0n0

Somebody wake me up when the first five-parter of the DiC era is on Tubi or YouTube.

If they do and it's the modern edit, keep a listen out for where they shamelessly insert sections of the joint TF/Joe score or the Inhumanoids score.  Trust me, that's not how those episodes were released originally.

The Sunbow and Marvel Productions script/storyboard archive, chronicling ten years of animation history: https://sunbowmarvel...e.blogspot.com/

#10224 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4963 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 03 July 2020 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, I had recorded Dragonfire when it first aired, so when I saw it years later, it was the syndicated version which used the new "stock" music, but did correct some animation errors.

Huh, I guess Operation Dragonfire isn't on Tubi.  That's strange, I thought it would have gotten rolled into the "Joe 89" section like on the DVDs.

#10225 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67470 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:28 PM

The original version has basically become the animation equivalent of an unperson.  See here: https://www.youtube....h?v=SHVruJwG0n0

There is another version that never shows them with the weapons either. Which makes Polly look like a jerk for outright destroying them.

ACItEK8.png

#10226 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 9112 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 01:51 AM

Huh, I guess Operation Dragonfire isn't on Tubi.  That's strange, I thought it would have gotten rolled into the "Joe 89" section like on the DVDs.

There's also no Revenge of Cobra on Tubi for some reason, but at least it's on YouTube.

Edited by Pale Rider, 04 July 2020 - 01:51 AM.

#10227 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18878 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:10 AM

Just want to shout out some sympathy for ol' Shipwreck after what he goes through in There's no place like Springfield part 1&2. He really got put through the ringer. I dig that they've been officially streaming the ARAH show on youtube.

That episode messed with me when I was a kid, ngl.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#10228 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7841 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:38 PM

Found a power panel of the new Joe figures at Walmart. Pulse just billed me for Destro so I abstained from picking up one in person.

I did grab a Duke, though.

I'm digging the new neck articulation that allows him to look down the site of his rifle.

Also, he can hold the rifle without chicken-winging (pet peeve of mine).

Still no interest in Scarlet or Road Block, but if they make any other army guys with rifles and alice-packs, I'm in.

#10229 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9549 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:37 AM

Im actually just in for Snake-Eyes, Scarlet, and Destro so far. I really dont care for the candy colored tech stuff on both Duke and Roadblock.

Is it wrong to want classified versions of the Renegades cast.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#10230 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4963 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:36 PM

Im actually just in for Snake-Eyes, Scarlet, and Destro so far. I really dont care for the candy colored tech stuff on both Duke and Roadblock.

Is it wrong to want classified versions of the Renegades cast.

No, but don't make any expectations :p

Walmart sucks.  Their app said that there were some Classified figures available in the store I was at...I couldn't find them.  The "toy person" was useless, and I looked FAR harder in that store than I should have looking for SOMETHING.  I found NOTHING.

So I'm highly tempted to order from Amazon.  I'd get Duke by Wednesday and probably a good 2-3 months before I'm probably going to see the line at retail with any regularity.

#10231 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7841 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:07 PM

The only danger in buying online for a figure like Duke is that you won't know how the eye paint apps will be before spending your money.  In the Walmart shipper that I saw, there were two Dukes, and one of them had severely derpy eyes.

I don't even like Duke that much, but goddamn, if this is not an outstanding figure to own.

IMG_6843.jpg

IMG_6845.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

Edited by Betty Nor, 05 July 2020 - 05:07 PM.

#10232 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4963 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:11 PM

Well, screw Walmart's janky-ass app then.  I had to stop today and found the sidekick display a couple aisles down from the action figures.  Must have been pretty fresh since I was able to get the lone Destro I saw.  Probably didn't even go out until the last couple days.

Great retail partner indeed....

And I did check eyes, and none look particularly egregious to me.  Not up to SH Figuarts, mind you.  But they also don't cost $50-70 either.

#10233 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6382 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

It's been almost a week since Pulse charged me for my preorders of Destro, Duke, and Roadblock. It would be nice if they'd hugging SHIP them :wtf.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#10234 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7841 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:45 PM

Right?  Nothing on my Destro, either.

Not even a heads up email that they were processing my Destro.  The only reason I know my Destro got billed was because I saw a $20.00 charge on my CC from Pulse and went through my order history looked for Paid but Unfulfilled orders.

#10235 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10838 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 09:07 PM

It's been almost a week since Pulse charged me for my preorders of Destro, Duke, and Roadblock. It would be nice if they'd hugging SHIP them :wtf.

Right?  Nothing on my Destro, either.

Not even a heads up email that they were processing my Destro.  The only reason I know my Destro got billed was because I saw a $20.00 charge on my CC from Pulse and went through my order history looked for Paid but Unfulfilled orders.

Be warned, I had something similar happen to me a while back. Worst case scenario, you'll at least get a refund.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#10236 electricidad

electricidad
  • Citizen
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:01 AM

If you're looking for GI Joe Classified, but you can't find anything at retail, Gamestop has a decent deal. Duke, Scarlet and Roadblock are available on its site.

Gamestop has a price markup, but for the next day or so, they have a buy-one, get-one-half-off deal. The final cost ends up being less than retail and they ship for free. Gamestop's free shipping is usually fairly quick, based on the Star Wars Black Series guys I've snapped up.

#10237 Blacknife

Blacknife

Never heard of it; never will

• Citizen
  • 5920 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:22 PM

Found the "endcap" of Joes at my local Wally world. Scarlett rang up at 10 rather than 20.

#10238 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19737 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:35 PM

Wow...

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#10239 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67470 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 06:37 AM

I got all.of these last week at Walmart. While all very nice, I have a couple of nitpicks.

I wish Scarlett and Roadblock each had a blaster that wasn't the highly specialized blaster they have. Something that's more of a normal gun in addition to what they already have.

I've heard that Destro is the most popular release with Joe fans. While nice, I find the figure to be the most boring as he takes the least amount of liberties with his design. Being almost a one for one recreation of the design we've received for the last almost 40 years. I hope he's a rarity in this line as I prefer the updated designs that most of the others received.

ACItEK8.png

#10240 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4963 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

I like Destro because he provides a wonderful direct contrast between the original figure, the direct remakes of the ME era figures, and what even a modicum of modernization can do for an old design.  I think that approach DOES have value.  But I also get the feeling that Hasbro's going to, ultimately, approach this line like Star Wars where we will get repeat characters down the line with different designs and approaches.  I'd love to see how they might approach the old IG General design through a more modern sense.  That said, I wouldn't be adverse to some more paint apps.  Especially in detail areas like the rockets or boots.  While I still don't care for Regal Cobra Commander's all gold straps, I love the gold highlights on his boots and arms.

My big hope is that we'll finally get a full look at this fall's GI Joe line next week.  We're now at zero hour for any sort of tie in toy line for the Snake Eyes film.  We're also seeing film slates still shifting even at this point.  October is seeing much stiffer competition than it did when earlier this year with Snake Eyes sandwiched between Wonder Woman and Black Widow (giggity!), and it remains to be seen how robust the domestic theatre business will be by that point.  

It would be DEVASTATING to the brand if we see another Retaliation style pushback (which has happened with some films since production is halted on a massive scale still) after retailers receive product.  I'm hoping stuff like the Top Gun Transformer is an indication of Paramount cooperation in maintaining Snake Eye's release date for the broader marketing value for the brand.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users