Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

@  TriBlurr : (09 February 2020 - 11:58 AM)

Needs more zone defense. Call Scrapper

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 February 2020 - 11:29 AM)

MORE POINTS FOR BLITZWING!

@  Donocropolis : (09 February 2020 - 09:33 AM)

MP-7 Thundercracker recovers....he's at the 40....the 20....AND HE SCORES!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (08 February 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Reserved for Masterpiece Kup.

@  Sabrblade : (08 February 2020 - 09:49 PM)

MP-10 Convoy redecoed.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 February 2020 - 06:56 AM)

MP-9 Rodimus self-destructed.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The G.I. Joe Thread

9930 replies to this topic

#9881 electricidad

electricidad
  • Citizen
  • 517 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 January 2020 - 09:27 AM

I like that you have bays for both The Defiant and a dog bed.

I think part of the problem with the last year or more of Joe figures was they seemed to have such a limited tooling. I'm sure tolerances were getting worn out - so many Alley Viper legs. My older 25th ME stuff is still plenty sturdy.

I've said all along I just can't get in to a 6" Joe collection. I have no doubt they'd look amazing, but I aint startin' over!

EF929SL.jpg

#9882 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19374 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:01 AM

I like that you have bays for both The Defiant and a dog bed.

He is NOT mint in package!

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#9883 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9322 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

I'm not interested in 6" figures, but I'm sure there's some level of collector interest in that scale.  It's probably not going to draw in a lot of new young fans, though.  Time will tell if there are enough collectors to keep it alive.

I'm hoping that Fortnite and the Spin Masters DC line indicate a resurgence of 3.75"-4" scale at retail.

#9884 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:24 PM

It'll be interesting to see how long the line survives without any particular media to support it, assuming these are the usual Joe designs for everybody.  It's not like Star Wars or Marvel where there's always something out there on the mass media spectrum.  Comics alone can't really support this kind of thing, so I'm wondering if these are all Snake Eyes movie versions or some such.

Edited by Spark, 14 January 2020 - 02:24 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#9885 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5440 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

We know anything about what they plan to do with the 6 inch?  This going to be like with the ongoing Marvel figure line, or it going to be the cheap-arse articulated paper-weights they've been dumping on us with everything else?

Cuz I mean, I might not be buying them per-se, but Having the Build-a-figure gimmick included would be neat.  

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

#9886 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4700 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:09 PM

It'll be interesting to see how long the line survives without any particular media to support it, assuming these are the usual Joe designs for everybody.  It's not like Star Wars or Marvel where there's always something out there on the mass media spectrum.  Comics alone can't really support this kind of thing, so I'm wondering if these are all Snake Eyes movie versions or some such.

There isn't anything NOW, but we still haven't had Toy Fair.  Given how successful Cyberverse seems to have been, I could see Hasbro roll out something next summer once the promotional and sales periods for Snake Eyes has fully passed.  I agree, Joe CAN'T survive without meaningful media presence, but Hasbro looks like they're addressing the issue this time around.  The mobile game is launching next week, we got a movie in October, and given the efforts they're making, I would think a series of some sort would be on the docket (and maybe something with Netflix next year like Transformers is getting).

I'm inclined to think the 6" line will take a "multi media" angle like Star Wars Black.  That said, given the movie won't see release until October, I think the first wave or two will be classic, with movie characters filtering in closer to the film's release.

We know anything about what they plan to do with the 6 inch?  This going to be like with the ongoing Marvel figure line, or it going to be the cheap-arse articulated paper-weights they've been dumping on us with everything else?

Cuz I mean, I might not be buying them per-se, but Having the Build-a-figure gimmick included would be neat.  

Given the listings came from the like of EE (supposedly) and other online retailers, it's likely some sort of Star Wars Black-esque assortment.  I think Joe is too similar to Star Wars in that I don't think a BAF thing would be viable.  People will pick and choose, and I don't think the resources are well spent on something like that.

#9887 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5440 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:04 AM

Given the listings came from the like of EE (supposedly) and other online retailers, it's likely some sort of Star Wars Black-esque assortment.  I think Joe is too similar to Star Wars in that I don't think a BAF thing would be viable.  People will pick and choose, and I don't think the resources are well spent on something like that.

That is a major turn-off with the Marvel figs, at least for me.  Getting stuck with Dormamu's torso or Caliban's right leg, when all I wanted was Sister Grimm and Blink.  'Neat' in the aspect of having the various generations of B.A.T.S and Cobra-la Alumni as candidates.

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

#9888 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19374 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 10:30 AM

We don't even know for sure that's it's real yet (though I suspect it's likely). But I imagine it will effectively be "GI Joe: Black Series".

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#9889 Blacknife

Blacknife

Never heard of it; never will

• Citizen
  • 5835 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:43 AM

I could easily imagine something like this: 

Snake Eyes /w visor and goggle head crap ton of ninja weapons, maybe Arashikage flag, or Timber. 

Or Maybe   Snake Eyes with Googles and a bunch of Ninja Weapons   and Another Snake Eyes with Visor head and Timber.    Two different versions  of Snake Eyes to get with an upcoming movie. 

Destro  with a costume that could double for an Iron Grenadier troop build (with a Iron Grenadier head)  or well crap ton of MARS weapons

Scarlett  with Ponytail and Full length hair head. 

Roadblock with BFGs

Duke with a costume that can also double as a canon fodder "red shirt" Joe troop builder (with a troop builder  head) 

Edited by Blacknife, 16 January 2020 - 03:43 AM.

#9890 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

I doubt they'll start with any Destro that isn't his original outfit and silver noggin.  I'm mainly curious if they'll go Masterpiece style and skew them towards animation models or go as realistic as possible. 

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#9891 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7405 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 06:28 PM

Sunbow all the way!!!!!!!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#9892 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14265 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:37 PM

Well, it's nice to see they have SOME plans for Joe going forward. Maybe diehard fans can have the 6in line and leave the possibly-more-fun reimaginings to the 4in line.

Utterly unsurprised that the usual whinging and complaining has immediately risen up to greet this new line. And from the usual types of suspects too. It'll be nice to just observe the whole thing from afar this time.

I've certainly got no reason to bother with a whole new scale, and even with 3.75 I'm a few customs away from being totally done with the property (and these have stagnated for years because CRIPES are Joe prices just stupid now). I am eager to see what Fortnite construction/aesthetic crossover might bring us, though, because that line is just fun (albeit also a bit pricey here).

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#9893 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4700 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

The biggest irony to me is that, when the forums were more active with a more varied community, 6" got a pretty amicable response.  The 4" line stagnated out for most around Retaliation anyway, and the reuse that defined the next couple years really worked to "bore out" a lot of people.  Again, I saw a LOT of similarity with what happened with Star Wars circa 2013 and the smaller Black series figures (and has largely continued with Vintage Collection) where Hasbro selections got safer and heavier on the reuse.

I fully expect a collector centric 6" line to get a positive response at launch, and probably enough interest for at least a solid year or two.  The big difference will be how Joe presents itself to younger buyers.  We've seen licensed lines screw to larger scales, but Fortnite and Spin Master's new Batman are the biggest things in 4" in years, and seem to show viability to the scale.

I'm eager to see the younger toys and the gnashing of teeth when people realize even if we do get 4" figures...they aren't going to be a continuation of what came before.

#9894 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

C-Cobra Commander Senpai...

• Citizen
  • 2849 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 January 2020 - 04:31 PM

I'm eager to see the younger toys and the gnashing of teeth when people realize even if we do get 4" figures...they aren't going to be a continuation of what came before.

If they do exist I hope they are at least as playable and fun as the O-Ring ARAH, because those figures have a great vibe to them. They just need to keep the proportions right and consitant (no long legs, short waist and torso that plagued the new sculpt era). 

If you can't do a rubber O-Ring then something like the Fortnite or Marauder waist joint would work, though not as dynamic with kid's hands. 

Photobucket blows chunks

#9895 unitremover

unitremover
  • Retired Staff
  • 1537 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:59 AM

I certainly hope there's some sort of 3.75 line. All the talk got me to finally check out one of the Fortnite figures (the banana guy, the most GI Joe-y one of all, naturally) and even with his design inherently limiting some of his articulation, I still think he's pretty neat with what he does have. He's got thigh/wrist swivels, double jointed knees, ankle joints... Whether Hasbro makes them themselves or Jazwares takes over, I hope they match up quality wise.

And for the record I think Triage Trooper sits at a good intersection between the aesthetics of both franchises that I'd maybe like to see the new Joe line enter into.

Edited by unitremover, 18 January 2020 - 01:05 AM.

#9896 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14265 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:03 AM

The less-than-positive response to 6in kind of surprises me too, as I seem to recall it being thrown around as one of the accepted/positively-regarded ways to resuscitate the obviously flagging brand years ago. Around when Black Series was still novel and 50th was just getting sadder and sadder to follow.

Always entertaining, that.

I'm really hoping this Jazwares turn is the "mid-90s Kenner" phase for this brand, which reimagines and reinvents it to make it interesting again.

And honestly, I don't know who hasn't yet had their fill of the old characters in 3.75 anyway, after years of repainting three or four bucks into everyone in their every color scheme. But who am I kidding, there's always "that wasn't at regular retail" and "I didn't want what we got, I wanted them 'reimagined' as (insert not-really-reimagining)".

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#9897 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

• Citizen
  • 2849 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:36 AM

I certainly hope there's some sort of 3.75 line. All the talk got me to finally check out one of the Fortnite figures (the banana guy, the most GI Joe-y one of all, naturally) and even with his design inherently limiting some of his articulation, I still think he's pretty neat with what he does have. He's got thigh/wrist swivels, double jointed knees, ankle joints... Whether Hasbro makes them themselves or Jazwares takes over, I hope they match up quality wise.

And for the record I think Triage Trooper sits at a good intersection between the aesthetics of both franchises that I'd maybe like to see the new Joe line enter into.

Triage Trooper is a great example, hell they just put out a Red Suited guy called Inferno and he's a terrific guy in a suit (with a flaming mask) action figure. Cuddle Team Leader is still my fav of those that I own.

Photobucket blows chunks

#9898 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52228 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

Given how successful Cyberverse seems to have been

Citation needed.

The show is painfully average. It's not bad but it's not that great either. It just kind of exists.

The Transformers comic too come to think of it.

They had the right idea with the HUB as their main three shows all started off pretty great only for Prime to coast on their animation and Renegades to be cancelled. MLP lasted until now and certainly would qualify as an unmitigated success.

card-strongarm.jpg

#9899 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

• Citizen
  • 2849 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:14 PM

Citation needed.

The show is painfully average. It's not bad but it's not that great either. It just kind of exists.

They had the right idea with the HUB as their main three shows all started off pretty great only for Prime to coast on their animation and Renegades to be cancelled. MLP lasted until now and certainly would qualify as an unmitigated success.

RiP Renegades, gone too soon and a rather good show that's probably the best ARAH reimagining we'll ever get. A shame it never got it's proper dues with a toyline of it's own (rather than a few figures in the 30th and that nice Amazon 4 pack). Like most of the legendary COncep Case, they haunt me.

Edited by Dr Syn, 19 January 2020 - 07:15 PM.

Photobucket blows chunks

#9900 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4700 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

Citation needed.

Just judging on what has sold in my general area-I've seen Cyberverse turn over a LOT more than the Generations segments.  It might not be a FiM breakout, but I feel Cyberverse is generally doing what Hasbro WANTS it to do.  Quality of the series really isn't a factor in that analysis, we've seen crap shows last WAY too long with toys, while great shows seemingly get barely anything.

The issue with Hub was that it had limited exposure.  And despite being a "partner" Discovery sure put a lot of the onus of the channel on Hasbro's shoulders.  Regardless how good the shows might have been, it seems like it wasn't reaching enough or the right kind of audience.  People like to cite MLP's success, but I recall the show taking a couple seasons to really strike it big.

From my perspective, Cyberverse appears to be working, and I think a LOT of that has to do with exposure.  The series has aired on Cartoon Network, Youtube, and had the first batch of episodes rolled out to Netflix in time for season 2.  That's a LOT of avenues we haven't seen Hasbro hit at the same time before.

Even if a new GI Joe animated series follow's Cyberverse's footsteps (Evergreen designs with short form episodes with a rough season arc), if they can hit the same exposure levels, I think that line could be successful (commercially, if not critically, akin to Cyberverse's reception)

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users