Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The G.I. Joe Thread

9810 replies to this topic

#3041 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(the last prince @ Jul 12 2013, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I wasn't thinking aliens in my bit there, just take the battle out into space, the moon and mars and such. Keep it localized. It's just different than what we have had in the past 2 decades. Not much else has really worked...

Yeah, but all that's boring. Nothing but emptiness and wastelands.

Anywho, customs!

Rock'N'Roll update:

Cobra Commander:

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3042 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39143 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

I like aliens only in a really tiny way, like Blackstar who was sort of, "We don't know who this guy is, and he's never really been seen, but he kicks our asses so hard in space that we're not sure he's ever been on the ground." That kind of thing. I like the Lunartix guys, but I don't even think of them as G. I. Joes, so much as just their own weird subline.

I would not have complained, however, if in some line Cobra Commander popped off his helmet and was actually an alien just because that would be absurd.

My ideal G. I. Joe would probably be twenty minutes into the future and kind of cyberpunk-ish.

Edited by Spark, 12 July 2013 - 07:01 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#3043 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jul 12 2013, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it's a lost cause. The people who champion straight military realism in GI Joe always point to the first few years of ARAH as the gold standard. Point out that right from the start we had a Laser Trooper MOS and an artillery laser, and they just roll their eyes and tell you that you don't get it.

Actually, IRL lasers were all the rage back in the 1970s and very early 1980s. In fact, back when I was in JROTC one day one of my instructors (an artillery officer) told us about a briefing he once attended in which someone was pitching the notion of lasers as an anti-aircraft weapon.

In fact, a lot of the "Huh?" stuff we saw in the 1980s - early 1990s Joe line was actually either based on real-world military tech or based on real-world conceptual designs for military tech. This even includes things like the X-Wing helicopter (Sikorsky was actually working on an aircraft that could go between fixed-wing and rotary-wing flight), the Phantom X-19 (based on a rumored F-19 advanced tactical "stealth" fighter that was ultimately revealed to be bogus), and the Thunderclap (a heavily redone M65 "Atomic Annie" concept atomic artillery piece).

#3044 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 12 2013, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Also, we need more Joe firefighters. Just Barbecue alone isn't enough. We need a few more Joe firefighters and a firefighting vehicle. Kids love firefighters.

There was actually a Firefighter subteam proposed for the 1992 assortment, but it was dropped for reasons unknown.

Of note, however, is that 1992 was the year that Barbecue and Deep Six were grafted onto Eco-Force alongside the rather phoned-in Toxo-Zombie. I'm thinking that the new Barbecue figure may have originally been slated for use with this firefighter team, and was far enough along to where he was simply stuffed into Eco-Force when the team idea fell through. Deep Six is anyone's guess, and if you ask me the Toxo-Zombie looks like someone at Hasbro came up with it at the last minute so that they could have a Cobra presence in with the year's Eco-Force line-up.

#3045 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Jul 12 2013, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jul 12 2013, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it's a lost cause. The people who champion straight military realism in GI Joe always point to the first few years of ARAH as the gold standard. Point out that right from the start we had a Laser Trooper MOS and an artillery laser, and they just roll their eyes and tell you that you don't get it.
Actually, IRL lasers were all the rage back in the 1970s and very early 1980s.

And yet there were not (and still are not) handheld laser rifles on the battlefield wielded by guys with the MOS of Laser Trooper or artillery pieces in any warzone taking out tanks with laser bolts.

That was the entirety of what I was saying, and it required no corrections or inane personal stories which illustrated nothing.

#3046 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(Fortress Ironhold @ Jul 12 2013, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 12 2013, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: Also, we need more Joe firefighters. Just Barbecue alone isn't enough. We need a few more Joe firefighters and a firefighting vehicle. Kids love firefighters.

There

I know already! I know!

You're not the only one who can browse Yojoe for information.

Fact remains we haven't gotten any firefighter Joes besides Barbecue (well there was Inferno, but he never got released in the 1:18 scale) and I think that needs to be changed.

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#3047 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:29 AM

Updated my Leatherneck custom with new chestgear and a paintjob on his hat, and made Sidetrack out of the same base body.

Edited by Detour, 14 July 2013 - 06:12 AM.

#3048 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42418 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 14 2013, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HIGHLIGHT to view:
And then Shadow Tracker hits him with a tree?

#3049 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Jul 14 2013, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HIGHLIGHT to view:
And then Shadow Tracker hits him with a tree?

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Shouldn't that be the new SDCC Bludgeon's job?

Anywho, slight revisitation of Sidetrack with a different chest strap:

Also, a new Spirit custom combining the more "commando" look of his later versions with some more classic colors.

And a repaint of the ROC Neo-Viper based on the deco used for the Action Battler five-inch figure:

#3050 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Regarding Sidetrack: Nightviper's referring to a story in the Club mag where Shadow Tracker was hunting some Joes, Predator-style... except Shadow Tracker was also playing the Dutch role, laying traps for the Joes to stumble into.

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Sidetrack pushed someone out of the way of an impalement trap and instead was hit with it himself, taking a large sharpened log right to the chest and dying instantly.

Edited by Lukeblast, 16 July 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#3051 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Did he at least get the chance to pull some rasslin' moves on anyone before biting the dust?

Wait. Sidetrack or Side Track?

#3052 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

C-Cobra Commander Senpai...

• Citizen
  • 2823 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

Detour, like the use of the Green PIT Commando figure, reminds me I need to get one or more of those PIT invasion 5-packs. And that guy makes for a terrific Leatherneck base.

I have to confess I have no idea who Sidetrack or Side Track are.

I wish we had gotten that Neo-Viper on in gold during the RoC.

I took proper pictures of my Ninja Combat Cruiser, now a VAMP.

Also the Eaglehawk is lovely as is the new Lift-Ticket

bonus:

Photobucket blows chunks

#3053 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42418 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 15 2013, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait. Sidetrack or Side Track?

Sidetrack. The clean shaven one.

#3054 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Dr Syn @ Jul 16 2013, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to confess I have no idea who Sidetrack or Side Track are.

When Hasbro went to revive the A Real American Hero line in 2000, they found themselves getting hammered coming and going: not only were a lot of the vintage molds missing and/or damaged, a lot of vintage trademarks had been lost due to simple neglect.

To deal with matters, Hasbro was forced to take what molds they still had and either rename them for vintage characters or make new guys out of them.

One of the trademarks that they no longer had was Ambush, and so they created the first Sidetrack as a cover; although a survivalist and a demolitions expert, IIRC it was reported over on the Devil's Due message boards that some versions of the ARAH Dragonfly release had a decal listing him as the gunner.

From there, the Joe team threw everyone a curve ball and released a new version in 2002 as part of the final ARAH wave. This figure represented a new head slapped on the 1994 Stalker body, and according to the filecard was a completely different person than the one released just two years earlier; in this case, he was named for a Hasbro employee. The legitimacy of this filecard is in dispute, as this was the same wave that brought us the "Greg Scott" Lifeline figure; I recall hearing from someone that the "GSL" filecard was apparently unauthorized and resulted in someone getting fired, leading to questions about whether or not the Sidetrack #2 card was supposed to be legit.

#3055 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

http://www.buildagijoe.com/

This is something that Hasbro's doing to promote the release of the new movie on DVD.

You build your character using a scaled-down version of Hero Machine, then save it and send it in.

The grand prize winner will get a custom figure based on their character, while the second prize winners will get copies of the movie.

The attached image is the guy I made; it's rough compared to what I planned for him to be, but the options list (both parts-wise and MOS-wise) was closest for him as compared to some of the other OCs I had in mind.

By way of comparison, here's the full character concept:

Killswitch

File Name: Rockwell, Orrin P.

Primary Military Specialty: Sniper

Secondary Military Specialty: Electrical Engineer

Place of Birth: Brigham City, Utah

As a child, Killswitch was a prodigy. Having graduated high school at the age of 16, he was apprenticed to his contractor uncle by 17 and had an associate's degree in electrical engineering by 18. Life smiled brightly on this young man, and he smiled right back.

Things changed when his childhood girl friend was killed by a suicide bomber while she and her family were vacationing in Israel. Overnight, a drastic change took place which to this day no one can explain. As if seemingly channeling his (in)famous namesake ancestor, he marched straight down to the campus ROTC office and intimidated the commandant into enrolling him. Whereas he once applied his genius intellect and meticulous patience to wires and circuits, he now applies it to hunting down and dropping any terrorists that cross his path.

"That guy? He worries all of us. When in the field, he doesn't say one word more than he has to; the mission becomes his entire purpose for existing. Back here at base? He doesn't talk very much either, but when he does you'd better listen. I'd say he scares us almost as much as he scares Cobra." - General Hawk.

(pics of the actual custom: #1, #2)

Attached Thumbnails

• GI_Joe_Killswitch_Card.png

#3056 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Shame it's only open to US residents.

#3057 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4607 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

I have a minor quible with the digital version out today:

In the theatre, the location tags were "written" on screen using the "Retaliation" font. While the sound remains, the location names now appear as generic labels at the bottom, as though it was "unfinished".

Wonder if it effects the early digital version or if this error ends up on the physical media copies.

#3058 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20663 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

So hey. Who wants to see more customs?

Iron Grenadier

Medi-Viper

Outback

Night Force Gung-Ho

#3059 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17067 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

Man, this is amazing.

I give you Gremlin! Cobra saboteur.

Attached Thumbnails

• GI_Joe_Card.png

Http://www.scatterville.com

#3060 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 17067 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

He makes me smile. Its too bad you can't get much more ridiculous than that.

*goes to try*
Http://www.scatterville.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users