Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 June 2019 - 11:02 PM)

Well, Conan did start the trend that resulted in a wave of Barbarian films in the mid to late 80s

@  MEDdMI : (17 June 2019 - 10:57 PM)

I keep wanting to read Corman as Conan

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 June 2019 - 10:29 PM)

There needs to be some streaming service that caters to connoisseurs of schlock. Otherwise, a huge part of our cultural history will be wiped away. While many of these films are available on blu-ray, with more coming out each month, it's good they're also available for the streaming crowd.

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 June 2019 - 10:18 PM)

Corman did make an impressive number of barbarian films back in the day. If impressive is the word

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 June 2019 - 08:11 PM)

I mean, where else are you going to see the entire Roger Corman barbarian fantasy library (legally) for free?

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 June 2019 - 08:09 PM)

Oh Tubi TV, you are a haven for terrible films. Netflix, Hulu and Crackle all push for mainstream appeal and prestige, you got the guts to have ready access to dregs even the SyFy channel wouldn't air

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM)

Also you have Bayonetta and a bunch of Fire Emblem people.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 01:33 PM)

...I mean, Tales character. Probably up to/for it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2019 - 01:26 PM)

But what if I need to kill a god? Or several of them?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

Kratos is allowed, but only the one from Tales of Symphonia

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 June 2019 - 10:56 AM)

So no Kratos?

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 10:42 AM)

In any case I'd rather have another Fire Emblem character than another character from a PlayStation exclusive game who teeeeeechnically was in a spinoff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 June 2019 - 10:39 AM)

Kong had his name on the games first, but Mario was the protagonist first. It's debatable.

@  Rycochet : (17 June 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Wouldn't Mario be the one spun off from the Donkey Kong franchise, given that Kong was first?

@  Pennpenn : (17 June 2019 - 05:19 AM)

I would count Wario and Yoshi, but not DK (might be because I wasn't even aware DK was spun off from the Mario franchise until I was in my mid-20s, but whatever)

@  unluckiness : (17 June 2019 - 04:13 AM)

But to be fair, Corrin is the only one I particularly dislike and it's really more boredom due to their blandness as characters

@  unluckiness : (17 June 2019 - 04:09 AM)

It would depend on whether or not you count DK, Wario and Yoshi as part of the Mario franchise or separate. Scratch that, there are more Mario characters even with just the mushroom symbol people but it's a close call.

@  Pennpenn : (17 June 2019 - 02:55 AM)

You'd figure Fire Emblem would have enough characters in Smash. Kinda feels like there's more FE characters than Mario characters.

@  unluckiness : (16 June 2019 - 01:20 AM)

And for hug's sake, I hope that the new Fire Emblem's PC isn't one of the DLC

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 June 2019 - 04:11 PM)

Smash Bros could never touch a new franchise again, and I'd still have laundry lists of side characters and villains I'd love to see included.

@  unluckiness : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

DINNER

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:36 AM)

cuz i wanna fight a boat

@  SG Roadbuster : (15 June 2019 - 09:35 AM)

if we must have another zelda character, id want the king of red lion

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 10:38 PM)

I would unironically love Tingle in Smash.

@  Paladin : (14 June 2019 - 02:06 PM)

they HAVE to put Travis Touchdown in at some point now, right???

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 June 2019 - 01:24 PM)

Right after Shaq.

@  Locoman : (14 June 2019 - 12:36 PM)

When will we get Bluster Kong in Smash?

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The last three DLC characters are Tingle, Charles Barkley and L Tetris block with Reverse L Tetris block as an Echo fighter.

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 08:09 AM)

Pipe dream Smash entry: The Prince from the Katamari series. :D

@  MEDdMI : (14 June 2019 - 06:35 AM)

The space/time around them gets frozen too! ....or something.

@  unluckiness : (14 June 2019 - 06:01 AM)

I still want to find out how freezing people suspends them in midair

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 June 2019 - 02:45 AM)

We really need Subzero or Scorpion in Smash. Violence aside, they are pretty big gaming icons as well.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 08:18 PM)

Given Nintendo's relationship with Tecmo, I'm still waiting for Ryu Hyabusa

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 June 2019 - 07:19 PM)

I'm still waiting for Doomguy.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I just started watching High School DxD (don't judge me...) and I caught on the Nintendo Treehouse some request Rias for Smash lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 June 2019 - 11:25 AM)

I have having to watch a video to find out why someone wanted me to watch the video

@  Nevermore : (11 June 2019 - 04:58 PM)

I remember when the TPB for The Dark Age 2 was delayed for an entire year...

@  Trpodeca : (11 June 2019 - 03:55 AM)

I just wish they'd release the Astro City paperback trades.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:31 AM)

As an open-minded heterosexual, I wouldn't mind seeing more of that.

@  Nevermore : (10 June 2019 - 05:29 AM)

Currently in the process of re-reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City. Big props for the issue featuring the "Dancing Master" and its portrayal of non-stereotypical gay characters.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 June 2019 - 05:25 AM)

Don't phone charges often contain special rapid charge circuitry, though? The voltage might be higher too, given the selfie stick probably has a very basic battery.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 11:28 PM)

Glad to be of assistance!

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 10:32 PM)

*checks selfie stick and phone charger* huh. perfect fit. thanks!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (09 June 2019 - 09:58 PM)

I would use the USB-to-AC adapter that came with my iPhone, though I gather you must have a different brand of cell phone.

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:42 PM)

In that case a generic adapter is probably your best bet, then. Keep in mind a lot of hotels now have plain USB outlets in rooms too, though; but I guess that's not guaranteed

@  Telly : (09 June 2019 - 05:31 PM)

yeah, i just need something small to plug into the wall. im not sure im taking my laptop on my trip later this year and i want a way to charge my stuff

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:04 PM)

They also have wall outlets with built-in USB in addition to the two regular plugs; I installed those around my place so I have USB ports everywhere

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:02 PM)

You might be able to get a generic adapter to use with it at Radio Shack if you know the appropriate voltages or whatever

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:01 PM)

It came with a USB cable with no AC adapter? A lot of lower priced electronics do that, presumably assuming that USB is pretty ubiquitous

@  TM2-Megatron : (09 June 2019 - 05:00 PM)

Yeah, must be, I guess.

Photo

The Marvel Toy Thread

3578 replies to this topic

#1721 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

The Tamashii Stages from Bandai work well with other 6-inch scale figures (I linked Gundam Planet because the ones currently sold in Amazon are more overpriced than usual. Really, Bandai should just churn these out all the time  :hmm).

There's also this interesting little set: the Saint Cloth Myth EX Display Stage, which comes with some basic effects parts that, according to the reviews below, you can use on just about any figure close to the 6-inch toy size. I haven't bought one myself to try it out, but pics online with it look pretty good.

I have some Tamashii stages. They're not really what I'm looking for here.

I'd like something that plugged into the feet holes they all have, Preferably single-foot ones for greater poseability.

Something like this, but for 6".

That Bishop has scrawny arms.

A new Bishop? Where did you see that? Damn, I'd love a new Bishop figure. The old one and variant are still really nice, but he needs more figures, and a good story that doesn't assassinate the character, by turning him into a mass-murdering psychopath.

I take it everyone saw that wonderful display from SDCC? With the huge battle, and pretty much every character made.

Did you miss the 3.75 stuff?

Show Floor Images

Official Photos

#1722 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7695 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Oh wow, Dark Beast and Juggolossus escaped my notice somehow.  They must be found as well.

Thanks for the link.

#1723 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

Wow. As soon as I saw that Beast, it instantly brought the 90's stuff to mind. It's incredibly artist accurate.

That's beautiful.

The grey version is really great. Never thought we'd see that, not in a million years.

Bishop is just the icing on the cake.

Thanks, as I hadn't seen any of these.

Edited by Cat, 29 July 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#1724 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

I had a dream last night that they were going to make a "Heralds of Galactus" Marvel legends three pack of Firelord, Redshift, and Stardust.

I certainly would be more interested in that than the SHEILD three pack.(I have learned that those three are indeed part of a three pack and not the Thanos wave.)

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 29 July 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#1725 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51680 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:30 PM

Maybe you're confusing it with Mattel's attempts, which look horrible.  But that holds true for all of Mattel's articulation engineering for their action figure lines.  Harsh, sculpt-breaking mechanical cuts all around.  Square torso cuts, square hip cuts, just pure yuck all around.  Hasbro tries far more to place the articulation at natural points in the figure's anatomy, and blends them far better.  Ab joints are cut close to the ab muscles, and are sculpted at the rib cage and back muscles, rather than a straight cut.  Rounded hip joints that usually flow with the costume design, and don't leave squared-off gaps where the joints are cut.  Hasbro's recent figures are just really good all around, IMO, and are articulated perfectly, with a great balance of function and aesthetics.

Nope, compare Face-Off Hulk (the best 6" one we've ever gotten) to Hasbro's Avengers Hulk and you see how much worse it looks because of the pointless chest articulation.

I mean, it's fine to disagree but for me personally I'd rather not have one than have one.

Edited by MrBlud, 29 July 2014 - 02:30 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#1726 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

So, I'm pretty new to this Marvel/western non-Transformers toy thing, and so far I've bought only from Hasbro's offerings.

Is it worth it to go back to the Toybiz stuff, or should I just wait for Hasbro to get around to the characters/designs I really want?

I look at this site from time to time, and think some of it looks pretty decent.(Other stuff looks kind of horrifying)

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 29 July 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#1727 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51680 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

It depends on the figure.

Most "big stuff" (Juggernaut, Hulk, Hulkbuster, etc) I doubt Hasbro will ever do at that size/heft due to pricing so I'd go with the older Marvel Legends or the Marvel Select stuff.

Other than that I figure Hasbro will get around to most things.

card-strongarm.jpg

#1728 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7927 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, I second that. Hasbro has tried their hand at both Juggernaut and the Hulkbuster armor, and they're not a patch on the massive Toy Biz versions.

And that's not even counting the BAFs. I don't ever see them doing Giant-Man, Galactus, or MODOK again.

As for regular figures, it depends what you like, really. I have a couple of favorites, such as the Beast from Series 4, which I think is perfectly articulated and proportioned. I'm also a fan of the Gambit from that series, but everyone's got different opinions on soft good coats.

Super Skrull from the Fantastic Four Classics spin-off is another great one. And the best thing about him is if they ever make another one, who cares, so now you have two Skrulls.

And a lot of the Spider-Man villains from his own Classics spin-off were done pretty perfectly, such as Electro, Sandman, Scorpion, and Kraven. Any one of them may get made again, but there's not a whole lot of room for improvement.

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 29 July 2014 - 08:13 PM.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#1729 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:54 PM

Diamond Select has great choices. That's my favourite Juggernaut, and yep, I have both Toy Biz and Hasbro versions too.

Diamond Select Colossus is also my favourite. Toy Biz's is a great figure too, again I own both versions, ML and X-men Classics. I prefer the cleaner look of less articulation. Both are great representations of the character. I'm not a fan of the Classics repaint, though. As for scale, that's up to you. Juggernaut is fine bigger, and I don't mind Colossus' height difference, but that's up to you. The two look good together, too.

I also like some other DST entries, such as their Thing, and the Wolverine done in both tiger-stripe and brown and orange yellow. Thing has a nice large size when put with the other 3 in Legends form. Again, scale is your preference. I do love Hasbro's Thing, but he is too small for most people. Between the FF Hasbro wave, and the repainted two packs, you end up with some nice options. I prefer the blue and white costumes, and the FF Reed is the best modern one made. A plainer body would have been nice too, but the head sculpt is great.

Rachel Grey isn't great. Neither is Jean. Their Cyclops is also awful, and I bought every version of that too. Big mistake.

I love their Moon Knight too, but he doesn't look right with Legends. Too big, and he's one of their older ones.

Edited by Cat, 29 July 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#1730 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22065 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

And that's not even counting the BAFs. I don't ever see them doing Giant-Man, Galactus, or MODOK again.

Well, Hasbro did make an MU Galactus, which I think was a similar size to ToyBiz's BAF, despite being sold as part of a smaller scale line.

#1731 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22317 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

The toy shop I kinda sorta work at unofficially/frequent got some SDCC exclusives in and oh my god Star-Lord looks amazing.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#1732 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

I'm on the "more articulation is better" end of the spectrum. A figure, to me ,with not enough, or useless(which happens with a lot of western nerdy stuff) articulation might as well be a poorly made statue.

There is a threshold though. Sometimes stuff does look too... marionette-like even for me. Which is part of the reason why I tend to focus on robotic or fully costumed/armored designs.

#1733 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Pinky to pinky~

• Citizen
  • 3692 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Does anyone have a Mandroid head laying around that they're not using?

#1734 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7695 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

This is a horribly shameless plug, but I thought that perhaps there might be some interest here in the fact that I'm getting ready to sell off the majority of my Marvel Legends collection.

So if there's something that anyone here might be looking for, shoot me a PM.  I've got stuff from Toybiz through Hasbro, including the later stuff like Ronan, Nemesis, Movie Spider-Man (about to be on eBay in a day or two), and Fin-Fang-Foom wave releases.

On topic:  That site you posted, Silent_Magnus, is amazing.  Bookmarked.

#1735 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Yoinks!!

• Retired Staff
  • 9250 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

I'd potentially be tempted by your Ronan BAF. ;)

#1736 Big Show

Big Show

Had about enough of your crap, Mario.

• Supporter
  • 7862 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

So I'm pretty excited. I had previous resigned myself to only having Rocket from the current GotG group, as I didn't want to have to pay $140 for them all to get Groot. Not to mention I would have ended up storing Nova and Iron Man.

A couple days ago, I managed to nab just the Guardians loose on eBay for $77. After seeing the movie, I am even more excited to have them all.

QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a distinct difference between buying something and SUPERbuying.
And SUPERbuying is not quite as extreme as buying the HUG outta something.
There's a hierarchy.

#1737 Gryllid

Gryllid

Not a Real Fan

• Supporter
  • 1796 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

After seeing the movie I'm really bummed that they didn't do 3 3/4" figures for this line.  My choices seem to be:

- 6" figures that are expensive and hard to find, with no Ronan or Nebula

- 2" figures that don't look very good, with ships that just seem kind of uninspired (anybody got them?)

- those pre-posed 5" figures with action features and limited character selection

- Titan Hero type things and whatever else, the less said the better

- Lego

That's actually a fair amount of merchandise (not that you'd know it from my local store which seems to have gotten precisely none of it) but it still seems underwhelming. I know the golden age of movie toys is over, but I would have loved to see a real Star Wars-style 3 3/4" push for this movie.

#1738 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

I still haven't picked up any GotG Legends, but I mostly try to avoid action figures that are trying to look like real people. Never turns out well enough in my opinion.

I'm thinking of just getting Nova and Iron Man and then giving the Groot parts to my friend. He's not much of a comics fan, but I'm expecting him to really like the movie.

I'd probably be up for a movie Ronan though.

#1739 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7695 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

I was going through my 4" Marvel collection today (goddamn I need to get a Hall o' Armour shelf already... soooo many Iron Men), and I came across this little gem.

I'm not sure why, but this is arguably my favourite 4" toy after Archangel.

IMG_4470.jpg

I can't explain it.  It just makes me smile.

#1740 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, not having a Ronan or Nebula sucks. Should I even try for eBay with the BAF version? I'm too scared to look.

The GotG toys took their sweet time showing up, and I'm seeing only Star Lord and Iron Man on the pegs. I can't imagine trying to put together a Groot right now, I'm glad I opted for Amazon instead of trying to find them myself. My luck is terrible.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users