Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (23 July 2019 - 07:23 AM)

anything burns if it gets hot enough.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 07:12 AM)

That's why you should keep your under-the-bed money in gold and silver--that won't burn!

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

Photo

The Marvel Toy Thread

3609 replies to this topic

#1541 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7977 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

It's kinda hilarious that they just threw Jubilee's entire torso and both legs in with Storm.

But pretty cool of them not making Wolverine a must-buy for people who want the BAF.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#1542 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

Hey, when did the 3 3/4 Omega Red figure come out?

Whenever I find it on eBay or Amazon people want a bunch of money for it, so it must either be really hard to find or pretty old...

QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#1543 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7977 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Huh, I'll be damned. I was sure Omega Red was a new figure from an upcoming wave of Avengers Infinite, but not, he actually did come out in MU and I TOTALLY forgot him.

I did a new video thing:

#1544 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Huh, I'll be damned. I was sure Omega Red was a new figure from an upcoming wave of Avengers Infinite, but not, he actually did come out in MU and I TOTALLY forgot him.

I'd like to get him but not for 50 dollars...

QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#1545 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

Where are you Flash Venom?! I need you in my life!

Also, I find this picture hilarious.

X-Men_Legends_TRU_ExclusivesJubileeBAF_S

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 14 May 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#1546 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7977 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

I'd like to get him but not for 50 dollars...

Well, that said, he IS being repacked in a future Avengers Infinite assortment, so you're in luck. :)

I did a new video thing:

#1547 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

TRU exclusive is better than an SDCc exclusive last least.

On another topic, GOTG Legends Rocket Raccoon sounds like he's just a statue, crap.

http://marveltoynews...photos-preview/
On them twitters

#1548 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Yoinks!!

• Retired Staff
  • 9250 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:08 AM

Far, FAR from any kind of Cheets-level paintwork, but I think it came out surprisingly well...

EB4D43CA-6BE9-4A5D-AD30-8C0C9D6B751F_zps

#1549 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51777 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:23 AM

Great Hercules custom!

Of course I mean Thunderstrike :p

Edited by MrBlud, 18 May 2014 - 02:23 AM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#1550 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19312 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

I haven't bought ML figures in a long time, probably not since the Toybiz days.

But saw a fresh casepack of the Spidey Infinite series on the pegs this weekend, and with the generally elusive Spider-Girl, Toxin, and Boomerang figures fresh for the picking, I caved on the whole lot.

I'm actually pretty impressed.  This is based purely on the merits of the figures themselves, and not fidelity to the source material since I know next to nothing about most of this particular selection of characters other than the fact they exist.

I actually sorta prefer Hasbro's execution compared to Toybiz's.  Their more minimal paint style, for instance, virtually eliminates the paint seizing that plagued many previous TB offerings, and the results are generally smoother, whereas the many layers of paint on TB figures could often leave areas looking lumpy and crusty.  Otherwise, both companies had purely mass-market level application, are seem equally susceptible to issues like overspray and poor edge fidelity, so I'm not going to bust Hasbro's nuts over that.  I had a pretty decent selection of figures to choose from, though, so I think I got the best of the lot.

Other ways I think Hasbro's improved the line is in how the articulation works with the sculpts.  Especially in comparison to TB's later years, where everything had to be articulated up the wazoo, often the effect was that the figure's appearance took a sharp nosedive as a result, the clean bodylines and sharp posture rudely interrupted by harsh joint cut lines.  Hasbro's new peg-ankles are definitely improvement over TB's old "bar and platform"-style rocker ankles, creating a fuller foot shape instead of the flat duck feet TB came up with more often than not.  Dialing it back more to the articulation essentials I think does the aesthetics of each figure a greater service, and the addition of swappable parts for some of the figures more than makes up for it.  Dedicated fists and webshooting hands for Amazing Spidey, for instance, instead of crazy articulated fingers that only halfway serve the purpose for either.

Might just be the new toy highs, and relative lack of exposure to Marvel figures for over 5 years talking, but Hasbro's joints seem less "gappy" to me.  Tighter molding around the ab crunches or double-jointed limbs for the most part, again, tidying up the figure's look.  Obviously, this varies from figure to figure.  The worst offering from TB's years in that regard was easily Psylocke in my book.  I cannot fathom why she was favoured custom fodder for modders in her heyday.  None of her joints meshed well together at all.  Torso joint was gappy, shoulder balls looked saggy, wrists flared out strangely around the joint, large gaps around the hip balls, etc.  Not a very well sculpted figure, either, with bizarre torso definition.

Amazing Spidey's the "dog" of this wave, IMO.  The hip gaps I can forgive because they're there to allow for further than 90 degree forward leg movement for some of those deep Spidey stances.  It's the shoulders that are awkward as hell.  The secondary shoulder hinges seem to float too far from the body, disjointing his whole torso.  And the biceps don't seem to peg far enough onto the shoulders, again, creating a floaty and disjointed look.  Figure fares far better in dynamic poses, though, when some of those flaws can be hidden through various stances.  

Not a huge fan of the way Toxin came out, either, if only because that tiny clump of Symbiote tendrils is wimpy as hell.  Needs more.  Him and Boomerang are my first exposure to Hasbro's new large and medium build bodies, respectively, though, and my impressions are good.  Toxin's inhumanly long forearms throw off the effect a bit, but I quite like the shape and articulation range of both bodies.

I know fans of the line seemed generally ambivalent about Electro, but I personally quite like him.  He came out better than his nemesis, IMO.  The optional electrified head and hand options are cool, can get some fun poses out of him as a result.

I'm having a lot of fun posing Green Goblin.  Don't really care about the design as GG, but he's a fun giant flaming troll demon.

Not much to say about Superior Spider-Man.  SpOck's a pretty basic, no frills figure.  Clean and solid execution, but nothing gamechanging.

On the subject of gamechanging, though, the standout figure of this assortment, in my eyes, is easily Spider-Girl.  She fully encompasses what Toybiz tried and failed to do time and time again, and what Hasbro's come close to on several occasions, but always with one minor flaw replacing another, and that's creating a "super"-articulated, attractive female body.  The basic posture, proportions, shape, and anatomy of the figure are goddamned perfect in my eyes.  None of the mechanical squared off H-hips and ab crunches of the DC ladies, either (plus she doesn't she doesn't have their proportionally twiggy arms and tiny hands).  Just pure, sexy, feminine curves.  Now, knowing nothing of the character, I'd go out on a limb and say that she's supposed to be as flexible and limber as her namesake, which might deduct some points off the figure for her fans.  With only the ribcage joint in her torso, she can't really achieve any Spidey-esque contortionist poses.  But as a basic body type to be reused in the future, Hasbro really just needs to reuse and improve on this basic design for all the Marvel ladies to come.  Unlike my aforementioned issues with Amazing Spidey, all the articulation gaps in the figure are absolutely minimal.  There is virtually no way to manipulate the figure that will ever spoil her body lines, with the exception of the thigh cuts, which are very easily forgiveable.  I'm really impressed with how her elbows work.  Despite using the often maligned "Elbro"-style articulation (combination hinge and swivel, instead of the more traditional bicep swivel under the shoulder and separate hinge elbow), she's got some damned nice articulation range there.  Oriented forward-to-back, her elbows get at least a 135 degree arc, losing a bit of that range when they're twisted.  That's with only a single joint, and with incredibly minimal gapping.  Creepy gushing over a teenager's sexy body aside, she's also got a really cute face sculpt.  Might help that her eyes are masked, and eyes are generally the hardest thing to get at this scale (especially when dealing with mass-market quality paint apps), but her nose and lips are really well done, with an attractive, confident, but not-overdone smile on her face.

But yep, with the release of this figure, I can honestly say that Hasbro now owns the tooling for the best, most attractive, 1/12th scale female action figure body in the market, perfectly balancing aesthetics with articulation.  I honestly think that in those regards, she even beats out the more premium Japanese offerings in that department.  While Figma and Figuarts have better build quality, little attempt is made with them to blend the joints into the figures, occasionally spoiling the aesthetics.

Also, Hasbro once again proves that they've got the best packaging designers/artists in the biz.  These new shaped hanger boxes are just classy as hell.  They're very clean and efficient looking, only as large as they need to be (here's looking at you, Mattel), with the curved hourglass shape doing just enough to catch the eye without being obnoxious about it.  Also 100% collector friendly, in the same way as the Star Wars Black 6" figures.  In this fresh case I picked from, the boxes weren't even taped, which was surprising (the figures left-over from previous cases definitely were).  But just open the box, slide out the inner tray, and pop the figure from the plastic backer.  Not even any twisties.  Pain-free.

Edited by mx-01 archon, 18 May 2014 - 05:20 AM.

#1551 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51777 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

You had me at "wearable foam Infinity Gauntlet" :love

6" Marvel Legends Thanos Imperative Set

3.75" Infinity Gauntlet Figure Set (WITH WEARABLE FOAM INFINITY GAUNTLET!!)

Edited by MrBlud, 22 May 2014 - 06:55 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#1552 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

Awww.. so that's where the Annihilation-style Star Lord went.

Don't think I care about Marvel Legends or Star Lord enough to buy an SDCC exclusive set.

#1553 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7977 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

I sure as hell do. I'd buy that set for Blastarr alone.

Hell, for Black Bolt alone, I didn't much like the first ML one.

I did a new video thing:

#1554 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51777 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

I will say it's kinda hilarious we don't have a Thanos ML then they make a ML exclusive set based on the Thanos Imperative and STILL don't do a ML Thanos.

card-strongarm.jpg

#1555 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7977 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:31 PM

Huh, I keep forgetting there hasn't been an ML Thanos. That Marvel Select one is just so perfect, it seems like it was meant to be part of that line.

Still, I think I kind of applaud Hasbro's restraint in not blowing their load too early. We'll be up to our eyeteeth in Thanos merch once Avengers 3 or GOTG 2 or whatever hits.

I did a new video thing:

#1556 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22349 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

NO GODDAMMIT NO.

Ugh. All I wanted was Classic Starlord.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#1557 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7701 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:39 PM

All I wanted was Gladiator.

#1558 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Yoinks!!

• Retired Staff
  • 9250 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

All I wanted was Gladiator.

Preach on. I refuse to pay $100 for that set when I just essentially want one figure.

Rat bastards. :angry

The Infinity Guantlet set however, I'm all over. :love

#1559 Tien85

Tien85

Viva la X-Warlock!

• Citizen
  • 3163 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:06 PM

Finally found the Cap Winter Soldier Falcon figure, bad thing was it was at the Disney Store where the price was two bucks or so above what it would have been at Wal-Mart. Yeah, in a way it don't make too much difference and bought it anyways, but til I can find a WM one, he'll be staying in package. Would like to have one to hang on the wall with Winter Soldier and Stealth Cap in the 3.5 line. Still waiting for a sign of WS Wave 2 or whatever wave it is that has Widow and WS in it (Infinite/Legends size), found Stealth Cap in it a month or so back at Meijirs but nothing since. Thought it was kinda funny though, found two Thanoses (however ya say it), one at TRU and one at Meijirs. With all the talk of GotG, future Avengers movie, and SDCC, figured I'd hold onto them.

In memory of Joelle Lawson: 1986-2004 A great friend to all. Rest in peace my friend.
In memory of Roscoe Brown: a loving grandfather who always tried to give his best for his family.

#1560 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14048 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

Inspired by Ursa's custom.

(I swear, I haven't been paying attention to the basic line so if I hadn't seen yours I'd never have realized it was the perfect mold for it!)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-05-19 21.47.47-1.jpg

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users