Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

@  Gryllid : (19 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

There is. It's called "SDCC 2019 thread"

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:24 PM)

no general SDCC thread?

Photo

The Marvel Toy Thread

3609 replies to this topic

#101 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Yoinks!!

• Retired Staff
  • 9250 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(wonko the sane? @ Jan 22 2012, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did you get the mansion Ursa?

All the miniature stuff (furniture, carpet, etc) is from a craft store. The backdrop wall is just put together in Photoshop and printed.

#102 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51777 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Looks like the Avengers are flying the Flagg...literally

Helicarrier is three feet long, has the usual firing missiles. Looks pretty good but is only big enough for the Quinjet to fit on it's runway. The Quinjet is pretty big. Only one figure can fit in the cockpit but it has other opening panels and stuff. There were no new Avengers figures apart from what has already been seen.

icon-bee.gif icon-bee.gif icon-bee.gif

card-strongarm.jpg

#103 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17082 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Jan 24 2012, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, as someone who owned the flag as a kid, you'd need like 4 of those. Two for length and at least two for width.

Still and all, that is an awesomely huge toy for this sad post-1980s era we live in.

-ZacWilliam, feels like he was both blessed and cursed to have had most of the great playsets of all time as a kid and then live into an era where I have plemty of cash and toy companies don't make them anymore...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#104 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18904 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jan 24 2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(MrBlud @ Jan 24 2012, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, as someone who owned the flag as a kid, you'd need like 4 of those. Two for length and at least two for width.

Still and all, that is an awesomely huge toy for this sad post-1980s era we live in.

-ZacWilliam, feels like he was both blessed and cursed to have had most of the great playsets of all time as a kid and then live into an era where I have plemty of cash and toy companies don't make them anymore...

This looks very awesome and will most likely be repurposed into a Cobra helicarrier forthwith.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#105 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41707 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

It's probably the biggest, flashiest kitbash fodder in the last decade.

I wish they would make the Flagg again. I would totally buy it. I'd have to mount it on the wall, but I would totally buy it.
Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#106 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Yoinks!!

• Retired Staff
  • 9250 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

Just received the Warlock/Thanos & Sinister/Gambit 2-packs from BBTS.

LOVE that Warlock figure. icon-silverbolt.gif

#107 KINGOFNOD

KINGOFNOD

I see what you did there

• Citizen
  • 258 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

that Helicarrier is gonna be a Joe base when I'm done with it.
"I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose...Rapture, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city, as well."

#108 Esser-Z

Esser-Z

I'm never going down at the hands of the likes of you

• Citizen
  • 32946 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

If I collected 3.5" figures, which I AM sometimes tempted to do if I had the money, I'd so buy that.

#109 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Yoinks!!

• Retired Staff
  • 9250 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

I was hoping the Quinjet was at least big enough to hold three figures in the cockpit, so I'm disappointed by that.

#110 Blacknife

Blacknife

Never heard of it; never will

• Citizen
  • 5750 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

Man, I've been tempted on a lot of MU Vehicles.

Helicarrier just sells me right away...

#111 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7977 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE(Ursa Magnus @ Jan 25 2012, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just received the Warlock/Thanos & Sinister/Gambit 2-packs from BBTS.

LOVE that Warlock figure. icon-silverbolt.gif

They're sitting in my Pile of Loot now, but I've gotta wait for a few more things to hit to make it worth it.

In the meantime, I'll have to pass the time with the first wave of Marvel Legends I found this week! icon-fire.gif

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#112 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Yoinks!!

• Retired Staff
  • 9250 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(Sean Whitmore @ Jan 30 2012, 06:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the meantime, I'll have to pass the time with the first wave of Marvel Legends I found this week! icon-fire.gif

I've moved away from the ML-sized figures in favor of the smaller MUs, but I gotta say I really want that Terrax. He's my favorite Herald, and I've wanted a nice figure of him since I was a kid.

#113 Onyx Minor

Onyx Minor

Teporocho

• Staff
  • 11014 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'm seriously considering cancelling my pre-order. Love the look of the figures, but MU is really more my cup of tea now. Just have to be strong enough to pull the trigger and do it.

#114 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Yoinks!!

• Retired Staff
  • 9250 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Agreed. I'm an MU guy myself now (even going so far as to start trading away all my MLs for MU stuff I've been missing). But again, I'll be Damned if that Terrax isn't something I want BAD!

Just not, y'know, bad enough to buy the whole wave just for him. That much willpower I've got.

#115 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18904 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

IGN has a bigger, better pic of the helicarrier.

I think the three foot claims are an exaggeration based on the size of the seat on the gun attached to the "superstructure".

Looking at the footpeg, the seat and the hatch I'm guessing that isn't more than two feet long (and probably closer to 20" not including the prongs). The Big Millenium Falcon is two-and-a-half and it can just barely fit four people in the cockpit - there just doesn't look to be that much room on this thing. If nothing else, look at that molded bulkhead door on the superstructure. I'll bet a shiny nickel it's undersized putting the entire sail at 4 inches high tops.

It's still neat, but I'm going to have to scale back my plans.

Edited by Dake, 31 January 2012 - 08:48 PM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#116 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

Unless it's scaled for 6" figures?
On them twitters

#117 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18904 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Feb 2 2012, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless it's scaled for 6" figures?

No, it's meant to hold one Quinjet which is for the 4" line - or more specifically UK attenders said it fit one Quinjet on the bow.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#118 MightyMegs

MightyMegs
  • Citizen
  • 4234 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Marvel Legends wave 1 in stock RazorsEdge

#119 Ursa Magnus

Ursa Magnus

Yoinks!!

• Retired Staff
  • 9250 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

"Kneel before your Masters..." -- Klaw

#120 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14048 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Oh man, that Shocker. Totally had no idea he existed until like a month ago or so.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users