Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

@  RichardT1977 : (14 April 2019 - 06:37 PM)

So it's like a prequel to Cabaret?

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 04:02 PM)

And man, characters are smoking literally EVERYWHERE.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:27 PM)

Also, full frontal male nudity. (There's been quite a bit of female nudity since episode 1.)

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:26 PM)

Episode 6, and Hitler is randomly name-checked.

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Bruno Sammartino Memorial Pro Wrestling Thread

Pro Wrestling

14232 replies to this topic

#14081 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27441 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:32 AM

God how desperate must Vince be for ratings?

xC9l3eY.gif

#14082 tec

tec

Kick the tires & light the fires

• Supporter
  • 30083 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

WTH wrong with Hogan showing up to honor Mean Gene ...wait scratch that I dont care

Ill be watchung Raw for the first time in years to Honor Mean Gene myself already watched a ton of old Promos and interviews

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#14083 Rycochet

Rycochet

Mechanical television star!

• Citizen
  • 2398 posts
  • Location:I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Vince desperately wants to bring Hogan back into regular Legends rotation and put him back on TV on a regular basis and is exploiting situations where few will be willing to boo him to try and soften reactions, first at the Saudi event and now wheeling him out to honour Mean Gene. I know it sounds horribly cynical to see that as their intent, but the WWE have done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt when it comes to these things, given how they've honoured the likes of Moolah, the pimp, and Snuka, a murderer who LOST a court case about it once already, long before his death.

#14084 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

My mosh pit is more fun than your mosh pit!

• Supporter
  • 4457 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

Kenny Omega has announced he’s leaving New Japan. He hasn’t said where he’s going yet but given that AEW has a rally set for tomorrow, I’m guessing we’ll know in short order. Kota Ibushi is out with a concussion with no immediate time table set for a return.

Kushida is also leaving New Japan and is most likely WWE bound. I really hate to see him leave, but I don’t see what else he can truly accomplish in New Japan right now.

JUICE Robinson has signed a 3 year deal to stay in New Japan. The WWE was said to be interested in bring him back, but NJPW’s offer was “real and ready to be signed”. I’m trying to decide who’s teeth I want to see the Left Hand Of God knock loose next!

New Japan chose to work exclusively with ROH instead of trying to bring AEW into the mix. I don’t see this hurting AEW as much as simply slowing them down as they get going.
WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!
Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-0862-6998-0098
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 5155-3611-9787
Pokémon Go friend code: 2931-9170-4345
Actual friends: um....

#14085 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 27441 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:26 PM

Honestly if I were New Japan, I stay the hell away from AEW for at least a year.  Just to let them get their feet under them.  Then try and work out a deal.

As for Omega, chances are he's WWE bound.  He's super hot right now and quite possibly young enough to keep for a long time.  After what the WWE did with AJ, I would not be surprised if they did something similar with Omega.

Ironbite-but there's also the chance he'll stay with the Bucks and Cody.

xC9l3eY.gif

#14086 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22291 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:46 PM

I think it's a 50/50 split between AEW and WWE right now for Kenny.

The problem is, do you put him in NXT, or do you fast track him to the main roster like AJ?

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#14087 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4457 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:12 AM

I would hope he would choose AEW over the WWE. You know Vince will never use him properly. All you need to do is look at everyone else who was a name in New Japan not named Styles. Guns & Gallows? Lost in the tag team midcard. Shinsuke flirted with the world title, as did Finn, and both are back to the midcard. It’s just not worth his time.

#14088 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6043 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Speaking of AEW, they just wrapped their announcement event in Jacksonville. The Youtube livestream of it went up to over 64000 viewers.

Takeaways:

• Their next event is gonna be Double or Nothing on May 25, 2019, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
  • The event after that is going to be in Jacksonville Florida, with a portion of the gate going to victims of gun violence.
  • Confirmed signings for now: SCU, OWE, Britt Baker, MJF, Joey Janela, Penelope Ford, Pac, Hangman Page and Chris Jericho.
  • Emphasis on diversity.
  • Women will get equal pay compared to the male performers.

With that last one, I gotta wonder how many women are currently double-checking when their WWE contract is gonna run out. 

j1GI7Gi.gif

#14089 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 27441 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

They got Jericho?

Ironbite-that's gotta be a coup.

xC9l3eY.gif

#14090 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3652 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:10 AM

im happy for MJF. ive been binging thru 2018 CZW (i still, after all these years, love that company...i cant help it...after ECW and before ROH they fed my love of blood, whacky storylines, excellt high flyers, etc...so they'll always have a special place in my heart)..,and MJFs work is up there with some of the best on the indies. His run as CZW champ was GREAT, he worked damn hard and had some excellent opponents...so good for him, i'm glad he gets to work on the next big stage in wrestling.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#14091 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 27441 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

So Omega's free as of the end of this month.  Time for a little Ironbite Introspective.

Obviously the best place for him is in AEW with the Bucks and Cody.  He's friends with them, they all work well together and he is one of the biggest names out there.  BUT! They did manage to snag Jericho.  And Jericho probably has a nice price tag attached to his name because after all, the man is a G.O.A.T.  So there might not be any money to sign the Cleaner even if he was willing to just go in on a friend rate.  Cause this is a business to these guys and how they make money.  So where does that leave us with Kenny Omega, future New Japan Hall of Famer?

Royal Rumble is on the 27th and we know that the WWE is not the same place it used to be.  They treated AJ Styles like the wrestling royalty that he is from the moment he walked out at the Rumble.  They gave him multiple WWE title runs, ok like two but both those title runs were lengthy and one even ran through Mania.  I have no doubt Omega could be treated the exact same in the WWE as he's young, he's got a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge installed fanbase, and he's willing to work with anyone.  Given the fact that he has no problems on the stick, no problem adapting his style to the WWE preferred style and could even bring in Kota Ibushi who was a standout in the Curiserweight Tournmen as a bonus

So where does Kenny go at the end of the month?  I'm leaning towards AEW because of his ties to the Bucks and Cody.  BUT! there's also the possibility he ends up in the WWE.  So if he doesn't show up at the Rumble, look for him and Jericho to be the absolute faces of AEW when it does open up.

Ironbite-and hopefully gets a real TV deal.

xC9l3eY.gif

#14092 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6043 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

I mean, their funding literally comes from a billionaire and the starting budget is said to be in the neighborhood of 100 million dollars. I think they can afford Kenny Omega.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#14093 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4457 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:16 AM

Kota is a free agent himself.

#14094 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4457 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

Spoilers for the RoH TV tapings:
Spoiler

#14095 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22291 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:44 AM

Looks like Braun got pulled from his Rumble match with Brock because of his injury not healing fully yet, so we're getting FINN VS. BROCK.

HA HA HA DEMON TIME

Also, there's gonna be a match at the Chamber for the Raw Women's Titles, which...actually don't look half bad.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 15 January 2019 - 01:46 AM.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#14096 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20535 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

Ah, Billy Graham. Never stop being the rambling senile great-grandpa.

https://www.facebook...695958977217124

Well fans, just my professional opinion once more, and certainly nothing personal about any of the talent. But as you folks who watched RAW last night ( I didn't ) know that " The Monster Among Men " Braun Strowman has been pulled from the main event against Lesnar. Despite Strowman's superhuman strength and his ability to over turn paramedic trucks, 18 wheeler 10,000 pound cab trucks, and then overturn Vince's limo, he can't quite seem to beat a mere mortal in Brock Lesnar. So, now he has been replaced with less than 2 weeks before this mega PPV by Finn Balor. Does anyone in their right mind really believe Finn will have a chance in Hell of beating Lesnar ? I would want my money back immediately. Word is Finn Balor will spend 3 hours getting his spray paint demon gimmick on, to help him beat Lesnar, who it looks like to me out weighs Finn by a good 100 pounds. Ah, but the following news by Meltzer is very telling. Meltzer is reporting that this was the plan all along to sell tickets. Knowing that fans would not buy Finn Balor against Lesnar. So that is where the WWE is with their talent. They have to work a gimmick that is a new one for me by advertising a wrestler the fans think had a chance to beat Lesnar to sell tickets, then pull the rug right out from underneath the fans, double crossing them by putting in a man who will not sell one ticket to see this match. Also waiting as long as they could.

Damn, the WWE sucks when it comes to talent. I bet that Cody Rhodes and his crew will out draw WWE head to head every time. Truly, a colossal scam by the WWE, man do they ever suck. S.B.G.

Because weight is all that matters in wrestling don'tcha know? That's why Big Show is undefeated and Rey Mysterio loses all his matches.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#14097 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4457 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Does anyone have any information about the Revival and a possible situation at Raw that might have made them ask for their releases?

https://wrestlingnew...lite-wrestling/

#14098 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 27441 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

I'm not even sure why they'd be worried.

Ironbite-Revival ain't exactly lighting people's hearts on fire.

xC9l3eY.gif

#14099 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4457 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:04 PM

They are good friends with the Bucks and work a style that Cody is looking for in AEW. The whole “F*** the Revival” bit could be brought back and be a nice built-in feud to start early AEW TV with. A hot feud between guys that can go generating interest in a hot new organization that already has a ton of interest in it is something the WWE does not want.

#14100 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 27441 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

Until AEW gets a TV deal with a serious network, the WWE has nothing to worry about.

Ironbite-now if they get on say Spike or something, then they have to worry.

xC9l3eY.gif

Reply to this topic

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users