Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 08:19 PM)

I'm also only reading the trades. So I'm still missing... two volumes that are currently only available as hardcovers? Three?

@  Trpodeca : (17 January 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Astro City is great. Since I only read the trades, there probably won't be a big change for me.

@  ZakuConvoy : (17 January 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have. Great series. Hopefully the transition to OGNs will be a smooth one.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 07:20 AM)

Anyone here reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City?

@  Verity Carlo : (16 January 2019 - 01:12 PM)

https://sites.google...ations---part-1awwwww shit

@  Benbot : (16 January 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Remember the Noid? He steals pizzas!

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:47 AM)

That said, the old "Nester" character from Nintendo Power IS owned by Nintendo, and I could see a homage in there

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:46 AM)

Because technically DiC created the character, Nintendo does not own him.

@  Paladin : (16 January 2019 - 10:28 AM)

sidebar- why is "Captain N" not in Smash yet? that seems like such an easy option.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2019 - 09:18 AM)

The 90's mario cartoons had exactly three character aspects to work with: fat, italian and plumber. He wasn't exactly wrenching pipes in every episode, so they had to do something...

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 January 2019 - 07:31 AM)

It's in another castle.

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:24 AM)

i HOpE sHe mADe LotSA SPAGHETTI

@  Locoman : (16 January 2019 - 06:17 AM)

Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEELP!

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:07 AM)

That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario *wheeze*

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2019 - 02:24 AM)

It's too hot here.

@  Echowarrior : (15 January 2019 - 11:03 PM)

I liked the Super Mario Brothers Super Show the best myself.

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 10:35 PM)

There's always the three Mario cartoons DiC made back in the 80s.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 09:48 PM)

So they could make a show that everyone would scream was an adventure time knockoff? I get what you're saying, but I can't see it being well received.

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 07:47 PM)

There is also Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, where people regularly get summoned to a fantasy world, then eventually sent back with their accumulated powers (and the main character smuggles the demon lord's daugher by his request, which is a no-no)

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 07:23 PM)

We need more inverse isekais, like The Devil is a Part-Timer

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 04:11 PM)

I feel like Tron is pushing it but I can't actually come up with an argument to that effect

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

To Arazyr- I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Bruno Sammartino Memorial Pro Wrestling Thread

Pro Wrestling

14103 replies to this topic

#14081 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 26964 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:32 AM

God how desperate must Vince be for ratings?

xC9l3eY.gif

#14082 tec

tec

Come on summer!

• Supporter
  • 29357 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

WTH wrong with Hogan showing up to honor Mean Gene ...wait scratch that I dont care

Ill be watchung Raw for the first time in years to Honor Mean Gene myself already watched a ton of old Promos and interviews

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#14083 Rycochet

Rycochet

Mechanical television star!

• Citizen
  • 2091 posts
  • Location:I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

Vince desperately wants to bring Hogan back into regular Legends rotation and put him back on TV on a regular basis and is exploiting situations where few will be willing to boo him to try and soften reactions, first at the Saudi event and now wheeling him out to honour Mean Gene. I know it sounds horribly cynical to see that as their intent, but the WWE have done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt when it comes to these things, given how they've honoured the likes of Moolah, the pimp, and Snuka, a murderer who LOST a court case about it once already, long before his death.

#14084 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

My mosh pit is more fun than your mosh pit!

• Supporter
  • 4423 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

Kenny Omega has announced he’s leaving New Japan. He hasn’t said where he’s going yet but given that AEW has a rally set for tomorrow, I’m guessing we’ll know in short order. Kota Ibushi is out with a concussion with no immediate time table set for a return.

Kushida is also leaving New Japan and is most likely WWE bound. I really hate to see him leave, but I don’t see what else he can truly accomplish in New Japan right now.

JUICE Robinson has signed a 3 year deal to stay in New Japan. The WWE was said to be interested in bring him back, but NJPW’s offer was “real and ready to be signed”. I’m trying to decide who’s teeth I want to see the Left Hand Of God knock loose next!

New Japan chose to work exclusively with ROH instead of trying to bring AEW into the mix. I don’t see this hurting AEW as much as simply slowing them down as they get going.
WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!

#14085 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 26964 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:26 PM

Honestly if I were New Japan, I stay the hell away from AEW for at least a year.  Just to let them get their feet under them.  Then try and work out a deal.

As for Omega, chances are he's WWE bound.  He's super hot right now and quite possibly young enough to keep for a long time.  After what the WWE did with AJ, I would not be surprised if they did something similar with Omega.

Ironbite-but there's also the chance he'll stay with the Bucks and Cody.

xC9l3eY.gif

#14086 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

The Man

• Citizen
  • 22260 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:46 PM

I think it's a 50/50 split between AEW and WWE right now for Kenny.

The problem is, do you put him in NXT, or do you fast track him to the main roster like AJ?

#14087 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4423 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:12 AM

I would hope he would choose AEW over the WWE. You know Vince will never use him properly. All you need to do is look at everyone else who was a name in New Japan not named Styles. Guns & Gallows? Lost in the tag team midcard. Shinsuke flirted with the world title, as did Finn, and both are back to the midcard. It’s just not worth his time.

#14088 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 5995 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Speaking of AEW, they just wrapped their announcement event in Jacksonville. The Youtube livestream of it went up to over 64000 viewers.

Takeaways:

• Their next event is gonna be Double or Nothing on May 25, 2019, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
  • The event after that is going to be in Jacksonville Florida, with a portion of the gate going to victims of gun violence.
  • Confirmed signings for now: SCU, OWE, Britt Baker, MJF, Joey Janela, Penelope Ford, Pac, Hangman Page and Chris Jericho.
  • Emphasis on diversity.
  • Women will get equal pay compared to the male performers.

With that last one, I gotta wonder how many women are currently double-checking when their WWE contract is gonna run out. 

j1GI7Gi.gif

#14089 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 26964 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:13 PM

They got Jericho?

Ironbite-that's gotta be a coup.

xC9l3eY.gif

#14090 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3592 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:10 AM

im happy for MJF. ive been binging thru 2018 CZW (i still, after all these years, love that company...i cant help it...after ECW and before ROH they fed my love of blood, whacky storylines, excellt high flyers, etc...so they'll always have a special place in my heart)..,and MJFs work is up there with some of the best on the indies. His run as CZW champ was GREAT, he worked damn hard and had some excellent opponents...so good for him, i'm glad he gets to work on the next big stage in wrestling.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#14091 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 26964 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

So Omega's free as of the end of this month.  Time for a little Ironbite Introspective.

Obviously the best place for him is in AEW with the Bucks and Cody.  He's friends with them, they all work well together and he is one of the biggest names out there.  BUT! They did manage to snag Jericho.  And Jericho probably has a nice price tag attached to his name because after all, the man is a G.O.A.T.  So there might not be any money to sign the Cleaner even if he was willing to just go in on a friend rate.  Cause this is a business to these guys and how they make money.  So where does that leave us with Kenny Omega, future New Japan Hall of Famer?

Royal Rumble is on the 27th and we know that the WWE is not the same place it used to be.  They treated AJ Styles like the wrestling royalty that he is from the moment he walked out at the Rumble.  They gave him multiple WWE title runs, ok like two but both those title runs were lengthy and one even ran through Mania.  I have no doubt Omega could be treated the exact same in the WWE as he's young, he's got a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge installed fanbase, and he's willing to work with anyone.  Given the fact that he has no problems on the stick, no problem adapting his style to the WWE preferred style and could even bring in Kota Ibushi who was a standout in the Curiserweight Tournmen as a bonus

So where does Kenny go at the end of the month?  I'm leaning towards AEW because of his ties to the Bucks and Cody.  BUT! there's also the possibility he ends up in the WWE.  So if he doesn't show up at the Rumble, look for him and Jericho to be the absolute faces of AEW when it does open up.

Ironbite-and hopefully gets a real TV deal.

xC9l3eY.gif

#14092 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 5995 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

I mean, their funding literally comes from a billionaire and the starting budget is said to be in the neighborhood of 100 million dollars. I think they can afford Kenny Omega.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#14093 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4423 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:16 AM

Kota is a free agent himself.

#14094 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4423 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

Spoilers for the RoH TV tapings:
Spoiler

#14095 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

The Man

• Citizen
  • 22260 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:44 AM

Looks like Braun got pulled from his Rumble match with Brock because of his injury not healing fully yet, so we're getting FINN VS. BROCK.

HA HA HA DEMON TIME

Also, there's gonna be a match at the Chamber for the Raw Women's Titles, which...actually don't look half bad.

Edited by Internet Jesus, 15 January 2019 - 01:46 AM.

#14096 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20486 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

Ah, Billy Graham. Never stop being the rambling senile great-grandpa.

https://www.facebook...695958977217124

Well fans, just my professional opinion once more, and certainly nothing personal about any of the talent. But as you folks who watched RAW last night ( I didn't ) know that " The Monster Among Men " Braun Strowman has been pulled from the main event against Lesnar. Despite Strowman's superhuman strength and his ability to over turn paramedic trucks, 18 wheeler 10,000 pound cab trucks, and then overturn Vince's limo, he can't quite seem to beat a mere mortal in Brock Lesnar. So, now he has been replaced with less than 2 weeks before this mega PPV by Finn Balor. Does anyone in their right mind really believe Finn will have a chance in Hell of beating Lesnar ? I would want my money back immediately. Word is Finn Balor will spend 3 hours getting his spray paint demon gimmick on, to help him beat Lesnar, who it looks like to me out weighs Finn by a good 100 pounds. Ah, but the following news by Meltzer is very telling. Meltzer is reporting that this was the plan all along to sell tickets. Knowing that fans would not buy Finn Balor against Lesnar. So that is where the WWE is with their talent. They have to work a gimmick that is a new one for me by advertising a wrestler the fans think had a chance to beat Lesnar to sell tickets, then pull the rug right out from underneath the fans, double crossing them by putting in a man who will not sell one ticket to see this match. Also waiting as long as they could.

Damn, the WWE sucks when it comes to talent. I bet that Cody Rhodes and his crew will out draw WWE head to head every time. Truly, a colossal scam by the WWE, man do they ever suck. S.B.G.

Because weight is all that matters in wrestling don'tcha know? That's why Big Show is undefeated and Rey Mysterio loses all his matches.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#14097 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4423 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Does anyone have any information about the Revival and a possible situation at Raw that might have made them ask for their releases?

https://wrestlingnew...lite-wrestling/

#14098 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 26964 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

I'm not even sure why they'd be worried.

Ironbite-Revival ain't exactly lighting people's hearts on fire.

xC9l3eY.gif

#14099 Lisbon Virgo

Lisbon Virgo

• Supporter
  • 4423 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:04 PM

They are good friends with the Bucks and work a style that Cody is looking for in AEW. The whole “F*** the Revival” bit could be brought back and be a nice built-in feud to start early AEW TV with. A hot feud between guys that can go generating interest in a hot new organization that already has a ton of interest in it is something the WWE does not want.

#14100 Ironbite

Ironbite

• Supporter
  • 26964 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

Until AEW gets a TV deal with a serious network, the WWE has nothing to worry about.

Ironbite-now if they get on say Spike or something, then they have to worry.

xC9l3eY.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users