Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Gallifrey Central: The Doctor Who Thread

Day Of The Doctor

8903 replies to this topic

#8881 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

Apparently according to the BBC it wasn't meant to be seen as dismissive: https://www.google.c...s-12229788/amp/

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#8882 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 398 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:05 PM

Lines that will almost certainly be in the next Doctor Who episode.

"Even though it tried to kill us, I can't help but feel sorry for that creature because it went through the pain of being cast away by it's creator"

"This otherworldly being is trying to uncover dark forbidden knowledge like some sort of...Prometheus of the modern age"

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#8883 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 33027 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:20 PM

Apparently according to the BBC it wasn't meant to be seen as dismissive: https://www.google.c...s-12229788/amp/

This is one of those cases where authorial-intent doesn't count for much. And I agree with previous posters commenting on how other Doctors would have handled it. Several Doctors would have managed to say something reassuring, several Doctors probably would have been pro-active. Eleven, as outgoing as he was, was often socially awkward himself, but even he started to talk to Van Gogh about depression, before he was cut off because he was interrupting the painting-process.

And that could have been written SOOOO much better. Something along the lines of:

The Doctor: "Graham, I really wish I knew how to talk about this, I really do, but I don't. Previous versions of myself would have come up with something helpful, something comforting, something reassuring. But, me? I'm a bit socially awkward, and that's a REALLY heady subject, and I honestly dunno what to say, and I'm very sorry, truly."

Graham: "Oh! Well...I understand Doc, and that's okay, we don't..."

The Doctor: "BUT! But, I do know another Doctor. A human Doctor in fact, who lives in your Solar-System in the 51st century. Brilliant, just BRILLIANT when it comes to all sorts of deadly diseases and disorders, and I'll bet you a custard-cream that he can sort all this out for you, so you don't have to have that hanging over your head. We can pop forward a few centuries, and pay him a visit if you like?"

Graham: "Doc, that sounds fantastic, and I'd really appreciate that more than I can say. What's the bloke's name?"

The Doctor: "His name? Oh, sorry, didn't I mention his name? Its Marius. Professor Frederick Marius, and like I said, he's just brilliant. Also, got meself a nice tin-dog off him a few faces back. Did I ever tell you about K-9?"

There. Graham isn't brushed-off, AND you get a touch of fanwank in the process. They could have written the exchange so many ways that would acknowledge 13's social awkwardness, AND make Graham feel better in the process.

But nope. That's not what we got, and its the first time the show has actually pissed me off in quite a long while.

Edited by CORVUS, 13 February 2020 - 08:19 PM.

“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#8884 Telly

Telly

Needs things explained to him sometimes...

• Retired Staff
  • 8378 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:50 PM

I haven't winced that hard since Love and Monsters.

dont knock love and monsters. if it wasnt for that ep i wouldnt be in this thread

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#8885 Sprocket

Sprocket

Problematic.

• Citizen
  • 9474 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:00 PM

I'm reminded of the time I pissed off a Viacom staffer by mildly joking about how the monster in the Van Gogh episode was budget friendly for being invisible and got utterly blasted for not understanding mental health issues...

Wh
What
Basically a few years ago I got to interview someone very high up on the TMNT 2012 staff. This was when I used to wear a 4th Doctor scarf. After the interview the guest commented on it, saying they love Doctor Who. Somehow between me, them and the overseer the conversation turned to the Van Gogh episode. I joked it was a very budget friendly episode because the monster in that one was invisible. The overseer glared and snapped at me about how it was a metaphor for mental illness. Even though I never mocked/disputed that angle.

I gathered, I'm just a little bewildered they read your joke the way they did

Talk about looking for hostility where there is none

Edited by Sprocket, 13 February 2020 - 11:01 PM.

Being part of any fandom is fundamentally embarassing.

#8886 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28901 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 11:17 PM

They hated me anyway. Due to a previous misunderstanding they thought I'd lied to them and the site I wrote for was no name (really isn't. All I said was I was trying to push us further in the UK.)

#8887 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 815 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:41 AM

The Doctor: "BUT! But, I do know another Doctor. A human Doctor in fact, who lives in your Solar-System in the 51st century. Brilliant, just BRILLIANT when it comes to all sorts of deadly diseases and disorders, and I'll bet you a custard-cream that he can sort all this out for you, so you don't have to have that hanging over your head. We can pop forward a few centuries, and pay him a visit if you like?"

But then that risks the look of trying to negate the suffering of cancer. 'Oh, it's fine, I'll just take my magic box and cure you - and only you - of this hideous disease' isn't a good look. It's the mistake the show keeps making in the last few years, it keeps trying to address issues that are outside the scope of the show. It's why sci-fi relies so heavily on allegory to deal with issues. You can't solve racisim for Rosa Parks in 1955 or cure Graham of cancer in 2020, but you can help Posa Rarks of Zixxy B and cure Graham of the nacrec he got on Blib-blob.

#8888 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11474 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:10 PM

Besides, the problem here isn't the cancer (which Graham notes hasn't recurred and he's been monitoring his health), it's Graham's fear of the cancer. He has PTSD resulting from a brush with mortality. Even if the cancer never comes back, the thought of it'll still be with him.

There is no healthy and safe cure for that.

#8889 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60048 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

Nevermind the ignored survivor's guilt from encountering his dead wife that he "sometimes" remembers when he's not off having antics. 

#8890 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 33027 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:58 PM

But then that risks the look of trying to negate the suffering of cancer. 'Oh, it's fine, I'll just take my magic box and cure you - and only you - of this hideous disease' isn't a good look. It's the mistake the show keeps making in the last few years, it keeps trying to address issues that are outside the scope of the show. 

Which is exactly why I said there were other ways to write that scene to address the issue.

Besides, the problem here isn't the cancer (which Graham notes hasn't recurred and he's been monitoring his health), it's Graham's fear of the cancer. He has PTSD resulting from a brush with mortality. Even if the cancer never comes back, the thought of it'll still be with him.

There is no healthy and safe cure for that.

For some people, knowledge can banish fear, or at least give them the tools they need to cope with it. For many it cannot. It depends upon the person.

Cancer is a personal issue to a lot of people, including myself. How many of you, and how many people in the wider viewing audience have similar stories? You wouldn't have been able to write an ending that would have pleased everyone, but they sure as hell could have given us better than what we got.

Yes, I do agree that this is probably why they should have just left cancer alone in the first place. They'd have been better-served by addressing Graham's survivor's-guilt, but that's not the route they took. And for me, the sticking point was that last scene, as I explained above, because they made the Doctor look like an ass. 

Edited by CORVUS, 14 February 2020 - 08:52 PM.

“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#8891 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3292 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:27 AM

Is it me or is there a trace of arrogance to the Doctor's voice when she talks?

#8892 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12802 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

Personally, I read it as "The Doctor (in this incarnation, perhaps) doesn't know what to do, and doesn't know how to respond, but rather than just doing something glib, she's coming right out and saying so, because it's the most honest response she can give to her friend right at that moment."

#8893 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39441 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:21 PM

We started watching Dr Who last night, and my two year old saw the Doctor and freaked out. She may be traumatized by last week's episode.  

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#8894 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46955 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:49 PM

Is it me or is there a trace of arrogance to the Doctor's voice when she talks?

There's a trace of arrogance in all the Doctor's lines going back to Hartnell.

Also if you'd told me that we'd get an episode where a Cyberman would end up being the inspiration for Mary Shelly's Frankenstein I'd have rolled my eyes at the prospect but I really, REALLY enjoyed that episode. Granted I'm watching Jodi's run piecemeal, but this felt like traditional Who.

#8895 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12802 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:58 PM

Also if you'd told me that we'd get an episode where a Cyberman would end up being the inspiration for Mary Shelly's Frankenstein I'd have rolled my eyes at the prospect but I really, REALLY enjoyed that episode. Granted I'm watching Jodi's run piecemeal, but this felt like traditional Who.

I would invite you to listen to Big Finish audios. Specifically, The Silver Turk.

#8896 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3738 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:08 PM

We started watching Dr Who last night, and my two year old saw the Doctor and freaked out. She may be traumatized by last week's episode.  

Hopefully the quailty eps or is it the resent ones with Jode in?

Honestly, at the moment, I can't not be bothered to watch Doctor Who, Spyfall was just plain dull and since then I not watched an ep, I know Captain Jack reappeared for an ep but frankly, I just got no love for the current Doctor Who series as it is, for me, it went downhill rapidly once Jode started, no offence to the actress but the stories just been plain and simple boring, not to mention the lack of quailty music, Mulray Gold was doing a great job until he got replaced.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#8897 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:10 PM

I wonder if the Timeless Child is related to those people with the power to manipulate CGI from the season 11 finale.

Probably not, but I guess it would make some kind of sense if the Time Lords were exploiting one of them in order to make their time travel work.

Of course since there's been no build up to the Timeless Child (ie, researching ancient myths, exploring ancient Time Lord ruins, that sort of thing), it'll turn out to be some newly introduced thing. Or worse than that some one-off creature from the 70's.

#8898 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39441 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 17 February 2020 - 11:54 PM

Hopefully the quailty eps or is it the resent ones with Jode in?

Honestly, at the moment, I can't not be bothered to watch Doctor Who, Spyfall was just plain dull and since then I not watched an ep, I know Captain Jack reappeared for an ep but frankly, I just got no love for the current Doctor Who series as it is, for me, it went downhill rapidly once Jode started, no offence to the actress but the stories just been plain and simple boring, not to mention the lack of quailty music, Mulray Gold was doing a great job until he got replaced.

I think it was the giant monster and the fingers that fly off and stick into people's heads that spooked the little girl. Now she might equate this doctor with that.  

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#8899 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 398 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:11 AM

Is Yasmin meant to be gay?

If so what does it say that the writers so often neglect her?

Edited by Trpodeca, Yesterday, 05:12 AM.

#8900 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 815 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:30 AM

That's definitely A Reading of one scene in that episode, yes.

Decent enough showing at the start, but it all basically shits itself in the last act.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users