Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Enjoy the fudgy icing of this Hostess Cup Cake!

@  Telly : (21 February 2020 - 02:31 PM)

harlock is on tubi as well. not dubbed though :(

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Gallifrey Central: The Doctor Who Thread

Day Of The Doctor

8905 replies to this topic

#8781 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6387 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:53 AM

Spoiler

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#8782 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 815 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:58 AM

*sigh*

Once again, so many ideas, but with no concept of how to actually use them, so we sprint from place to place without taking a minute to breathe and explore. I've been watching some First stories, and this feels like that, six or seven chunks of story, each exploring something different with its 25 minutes, only now the whole thing is squeezed into 45 minutes and doesn't actually explore anything. They're even immediately separated from the TARDIS. They've even got a Susan.

But I've mostly got questions. Why are the green-haired guys there, they do nothing, bring nothing to the story? Why is it that we're halfway through before we realise that Kane isn't a security grunt but the actual owner? Why the whole Benni Hill routine, why do the aliens capture him, why is the whole thing concluded off-screen? Why doesn't anyone remember that they're in a time machine to rescue Kane and Bella in the end, even if there has to be some explanation of why it can't be done? Why any of it?

#8783 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6289 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

Why did Hyph3n's alien makeup look like...that?
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#8784 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9304 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

After enjoying the season 2 part opener for the most part this episode was quite the bore.  I had predicted the creatures mutant origins but not quite to the whole extent with the heavy handed ruined world part. Truthfully I had expected to see Benni half mutated into one of the Dregs. And Hyph3n, the long lost granddaughter of Barf :D

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#8785 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1543 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

I thought the narrative purpose of the green haired folk was obvious.  They were to contrast Bella and Kane. Kane never listened to Bella and learned her lesson too late, while the other guy made more of an effort with his kid before it was too late.  It was a secondary moral lesson to the Climate Change lesson of the main plot. 

I thought it was decent enough overall, and reminded me of old Who in concept, minus the lack of a TARDIS for most of it.  (TARDIS would have let them solve the problem of getting off planet right away though so they wrote it out the easy way.) Doctor and Companion(s) land in seemingly mundane area, life-threatening situation appears, Companion(s) run for their life while the Doctor puzzles out a solution.  Problem is solved one way or the other after gratuitous deaths, and Doctor and crew are on their way again.  "The Ark in Space" is one that comes to mind as an example of this sort of thing, but if you want a modern era example the one where the Doctor ended up on that medical ship with the war hero is another example of this sort of story.

If you're going to ask why the Doctor doesn't use the TARDIS to go back to immediately after they left to rescue the last two, well that sort of thing happens a lot.  Why doesn't the Doctor go back to stop the problem before it's a problem?  I know they use the "Fixed points in space and time" as an excuse and issues with the Doctor doubling back on her own timeline, but that's going to be a problem with -any- time-travelling plot.That's something you just have to learn to live with.

Now all that aside, the Benni kidnapping was rather contrived, as the Dreg had no way of knowing he would be suitable bait to draw the others out., and they certainly didn't drag any of the others out to "play" with them.  It had to happen for the sake of the story, but there was likely some better way that could have been used, I'm sure. I can accept the finishing him off off-screenhowever, as while it got back the classic jump-scare the kids behind the couch that Who is known for, showing him in the state he was likely in at that point would probably have been too graphic for the show.

Hyphen's makeup was a bit too simple for modern Who as well, but would likely have fit right in in a Classic serial.  And yeah, she did remind me of Barf.  :D

#8786 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 815 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:11 AM

Yeah, fair call on the Greens - oh, I just got that - but like everything else in the episode, including Bella and Kane's own relationship, it was hideously underdeveloped. (Do we even see Bella and Kane speak before the big reveal?)

And you're right that the Doctor never goes back and stops problems before they begin, but despite the show's distant relationship with consistency in time travel rules, that's part of the core principles of time travel in the series - especially since 2005 - that once you're involved, you can't go back and change things, you can only go forward. But the new companions possibly don't know this yet, and that's not what we're talking about anyway. Sure, if you don't want them to be rescued, you have to have an excuse why it won't work - that future Earth is only a possibility, but it will become fact if the TARDIS lands there, whatever - but we've seen miraculous TARDIS rescues enough that it stands out when it's not even suggested.

#8787 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46956 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:17 AM

Once again, so many ideas, but with no concept of how to actually use them, so we sprint from place to place without taking a minute to breathe and explore. I've been watching some First stories, and this feels like that, six or seven chunks of story, each exploring something different with its 25 minutes, only now the whole thing is squeezed into 45 minutes and doesn't actually explore anything. They're even immediately separated from the TARDIS. They've even got a Susan.

That's...an amazing observation, actually. The original run at least benefited from 4 to 6 parts to help world build a bit. Modern Who has to compress and condense everything into an under-an-hour chunk.

#8788 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:58 AM

Well that was a lackluster episode.

An episode about a space hotel besieged by monsters, that could be interesting.

Oh now it's about a band of survivors travestying a desolate wasteland.

Like all good twists, it contributes nothing to the plot, and has no thematic impact or significance. .

The human drama was also lacking.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#8789 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39449 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

I liked the episode. It felt very much like a Eccelston episode and I liked that they were on Earth. I don't mind the preachy elements of it, because honestly, we all really should be doing more.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#8790 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6387 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:45 PM

Had a mini marathon watching both Curse of Peladon and Monster of Peladon for the first time.

Brian Hayles saw it coming.

#8791 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2277 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

I thought the level of preach was to damn high. I relalize DW has always had it's moments but this was waaaaay too much.
While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#8792 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6387 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:36 AM

The Cybermen are going to return this season and it seems they will have a new form.

I think there's actually more potential in having a few stories on Mondas showing the pre Cybermen civilisation that lived there like how it broke away from it's orbit, maybe it's creation, it's Silurians and Sea Devils, a Dalek incursion to gut its core and other possibilities.

#8793 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:30 AM

That was actually good. Probably the best of the era so far, which is a kind of faint praise thing. Would be above average for Who since the revival in general. Tight, compelling story, good villains with a nice concept. Goran Visnjic was great, and was well up to the task of playing Tesla as a quasi-Doctor. Anjli Mohindra was surprisingly good under all the makeup. And, finally, the Doctor got angry. She was a bit Ten, with the 'gave you a chance' and the 'seen so many' bits, but I'll take that over cheery ambivalence.

Couple of clunky bits, like the TARDIS not having enough power in her captured star to power a basic force field and a bit of lightning, or the over-long bit where Tesla rhapsodies on how great inventing is to the Doctor, but they stand out a bit more because everything that surrounds them is better, rather than being just little bits in the sea of clunky bits and mediocrity that we've been getting.

#8794 Telly

Telly

Needs things explained to him sometimes...

• Retired Staff
  • 8380 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:53 PM

The Cybermen are going to return this season and it seems they will have a new form.

I think there's actually more potential in having a few stories on Mondas showing the pre Cybermen civilisation that lived there like how it broke away from it's orbit, maybe it's creation, it's Silurians and Sea Devils, a Dalek incursion to gut its core and other possibilities.

genesis of the cybermen

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#8795 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1543 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

We already got that though in 12's last season kind of, with the colony ship and all in the season finale, though there's still space to work with I suppose around that.

#8796 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:11 AM

Wel lthat was an enjoyable episode. If I wanted to, I could probably pick apart it's themes of capitalism, worker-exploitation and industrialisation, but I don't want to.

I sure hope it's not downhill again next time.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#8797 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36575 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Finally cuaght up on the last two episodes, and boy are they night and day...

I think Orphan 55 is my least favorite of 13's so far. The whole reveal just feels like it breaks with canon of what we know, even the alternate timelines bit. Just feels like they were trying way too hard for an enviromentalism story. I also kept expecting a real plot twist with the Dregs, and not the boring one we got. Even something as simple as 'Not the monsters everyone thinks they are' with them keeping Benni alive, for no reason; and his getting killed off screen felt like classic set-up for a role reversal type story. Just about anything would be better then what we got.

OTOH Nikolas Tesla's Night of Terror is fantastic. Probably the best of 13's run. Minorly disappointed that the Skifra didn't seem to have any mentioned connection to the Racnoss, despite how similar the two queens looked, acted, and sounded. It doesn't change anything, but it would have been a nice nod. It almost seemed to be setting up for a similar scene where 13 would tell them who she is, like 10 did with the Racnoss Queen as well. But yes, we get a very fun historical plot with Tesla being an amazing character, and yes almost Doctor-like. I honestly don't have any complaints about this one, and this is the kinda stories I hoped we'd be seeing more of after the premier went so well.

I hope Orphan 55 is the outlier and the rest of the season is more like Spyfall and Night of Terror.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#8798 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9326 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:23 PM

https://ew.com/tv/20...tm_content=link

Jodie Whittaker is on board for at least one more season.

#8799 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6387 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

Spoiler

Edited by Maximus Ambus, 26 January 2020 - 05:01 PM.

#8800 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1543 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users