Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM)

Bruce Wayne's cyberpunk cousin?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM)

Laser Wayne

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 09:08 PM)

Luther Unum

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 07:09 PM)

Or Lee Derwon.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM)

Not to be confused with Leader I

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was Leader Uno

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was the OTHER Leader 1

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Or Sideways.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 05:26 PM)

On the other hand, this is Armada we're talking about. It could have actually been Metroplex.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 03:47 PM)

Shame he wasn't around more. He seemed like such a jolly, happy soul.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 02:16 PM)

No, he was definitely Metroplex. You could tell because he was in Metroplex's distinctive red and green coloration.

@  Paladin : (27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM)

that was Leader-1. or possibly Jolt. maybe Grindor...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 01:57 PM)

Metroplex was in Armada, in a flashback. He was the same size as everybody else. I thought that was the joke.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (27 March 2020 - 12:39 PM)

@Rodimus Supreme: Gah! You are right! How'd I get that mixed up? x.x;

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 12:14 PM)

There is no Metroplex. Only Zuul.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: There is no Armada Metroplex, he was in Cybertron.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM)

And they'd be better off just retooling Metroplex and Fortress Maximus to be somewhat more accurate and changing/adding parts for interaction with later play gimmicks.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:11 AM)

I honestly would prefer that for scale purposes.

@  Cyoti : (27 March 2020 - 11:07 AM)

They can redo all the CW combiners as Titan Class figures like Predaking/Devastator.

@  Dekafox : (27 March 2020 - 07:52 AM)

They could just redo Metroplex again too. Especially if it's going to be S3 based. They could also do another Primus to go with the coming Unicron.

@  OverDrive73 : (26 March 2020 - 10:56 PM)

If anyone is bored, or interested... I just added the last chapter to my fanfic comic in Allspark Pictures

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:54 PM)

And no.. We could always get Titan Class Superion.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:53 PM)

We need Titan Class Transformers Armada Metroplex.

@  Telly : (26 March 2020 - 08:39 PM)

ill be surprised if scorpy isnt the last titan

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:57 PM)

Too bad a new character titan class figure is pretty much an impossibility.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:56 PM)

I want a titan class, really good looking bucket wheel excavator. Like Cybertron Metroplex was supposed to be but didn't quite pull off.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 March 2020 - 03:32 PM)

I just taped up a shower curtain and took my first shower in three weeks. It was heavenly.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (26 March 2020 - 11:48 AM)

I would buy that...

@  Maximus Ambus : (24 March 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Studio Series 100 Titan Class Driller.

@  Sabrblade : (23 March 2020 - 09:05 PM)

I'll give ya 25 cents, a pack of gum, and some peanuts.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 March 2020 - 07:35 PM)

I can give ya twenty bucks for it.

@  Paladin : (23 March 2020 - 04:28 PM)

hoarder? I hardly know 'er?

@  Dekafox : (23 March 2020 - 01:52 PM)

FOR THE HORDE!

@  repowers : (23 March 2020 - 01:48 PM)

* hordes shrubberies *

@  Telly : (23 March 2020 - 01:46 PM)

YET...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 March 2020 - 01:22 PM)

At least we haven't resorted to shouting "NI" at old ladies.

@  CORVUS : (23 March 2020 - 11:04 AM)

Keep it out, and I won't reply to it.

@  RichardT1977 : (23 March 2020 - 08:50 AM)

It's a sad world where we can't discuss our health and safety without it descending into political arguments...

@  fourteenwings : (22 March 2020 - 11:46 PM)

woah I have no idea what's going on here but it's certainly breaking the "keep P&R out of the shoutbox" rules (which really should be enforced like... at all)

@  CORVUS : (22 March 2020 - 11:13 PM)

Ugh, Chinese. Typo-city.

@  CORVUS : (22 March 2020 - 11:11 PM)

Rodimus, you're just flat-out wrong. Trump eliminated the Pandemic Response Team. Trump was advised in January that this could be serious, and he didn't listen. Trump spent weeks downplaying COVID-19 by implying it was a hoax, and then that it was just a type of flu. He was late to close down travel from China, and by the time he closed down air-travel to the EU, that was also too late. He has refused to take responsibility for removing the pandemic response team, even though he basically bragged about it some months before. He's also prematurely talked up treatments using chlorquinine that have not been properly vetted as yet, and he keeps calling COVID-19 the "Chinense virus" because he can't help but be a jerk. Face facts: Trump is an incompetent bungler. Period. Full-stop.

@  repowers : (22 March 2020 - 03:49 PM)

That's totally super biased!

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Gallifrey Central: The Doctor Who Thread

Day Of The Doctor

9030 replies to this topic

#8781 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6415 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:53 AM

Spoiler

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#8782 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:58 AM

*sigh*

Once again, so many ideas, but with no concept of how to actually use them, so we sprint from place to place without taking a minute to breathe and explore. I've been watching some First stories, and this feels like that, six or seven chunks of story, each exploring something different with its 25 minutes, only now the whole thing is squeezed into 45 minutes and doesn't actually explore anything. They're even immediately separated from the TARDIS. They've even got a Susan.

But I've mostly got questions. Why are the green-haired guys there, they do nothing, bring nothing to the story? Why is it that we're halfway through before we realise that Kane isn't a security grunt but the actual owner? Why the whole Benni Hill routine, why do the aliens capture him, why is the whole thing concluded off-screen? Why doesn't anyone remember that they're in a time machine to rescue Kane and Bella in the end, even if there has to be some explanation of why it can't be done? Why any of it?

#8783 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6309 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

Why did Hyph3n's alien makeup look like...that?
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#8784 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9364 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

After enjoying the season 2 part opener for the most part this episode was quite the bore.  I had predicted the creatures mutant origins but not quite to the whole extent with the heavy handed ruined world part. Truthfully I had expected to see Benni half mutated into one of the Dregs. And Hyph3n, the long lost granddaughter of Barf :D

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#8785 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1642 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

I thought the narrative purpose of the green haired folk was obvious.  They were to contrast Bella and Kane. Kane never listened to Bella and learned her lesson too late, while the other guy made more of an effort with his kid before it was too late.  It was a secondary moral lesson to the Climate Change lesson of the main plot. 

I thought it was decent enough overall, and reminded me of old Who in concept, minus the lack of a TARDIS for most of it.  (TARDIS would have let them solve the problem of getting off planet right away though so they wrote it out the easy way.) Doctor and Companion(s) land in seemingly mundane area, life-threatening situation appears, Companion(s) run for their life while the Doctor puzzles out a solution.  Problem is solved one way or the other after gratuitous deaths, and Doctor and crew are on their way again.  "The Ark in Space" is one that comes to mind as an example of this sort of thing, but if you want a modern era example the one where the Doctor ended up on that medical ship with the war hero is another example of this sort of story.

If you're going to ask why the Doctor doesn't use the TARDIS to go back to immediately after they left to rescue the last two, well that sort of thing happens a lot.  Why doesn't the Doctor go back to stop the problem before it's a problem?  I know they use the "Fixed points in space and time" as an excuse and issues with the Doctor doubling back on her own timeline, but that's going to be a problem with -any- time-travelling plot.That's something you just have to learn to live with.

Now all that aside, the Benni kidnapping was rather contrived, as the Dreg had no way of knowing he would be suitable bait to draw the others out., and they certainly didn't drag any of the others out to "play" with them.  It had to happen for the sake of the story, but there was likely some better way that could have been used, I'm sure. I can accept the finishing him off off-screenhowever, as while it got back the classic jump-scare the kids behind the couch that Who is known for, showing him in the state he was likely in at that point would probably have been too graphic for the show.

Hyphen's makeup was a bit too simple for modern Who as well, but would likely have fit right in in a Classic serial.  And yeah, she did remind me of Barf.  :D

#8786 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:11 AM

Yeah, fair call on the Greens - oh, I just got that - but like everything else in the episode, including Bella and Kane's own relationship, it was hideously underdeveloped. (Do we even see Bella and Kane speak before the big reveal?)

And you're right that the Doctor never goes back and stops problems before they begin, but despite the show's distant relationship with consistency in time travel rules, that's part of the core principles of time travel in the series - especially since 2005 - that once you're involved, you can't go back and change things, you can only go forward. But the new companions possibly don't know this yet, and that's not what we're talking about anyway. Sure, if you don't want them to be rescued, you have to have an excuse why it won't work - that future Earth is only a possibility, but it will become fact if the TARDIS lands there, whatever - but we've seen miraculous TARDIS rescues enough that it stands out when it's not even suggested.

#8787 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47214 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:17 AM

Once again, so many ideas, but with no concept of how to actually use them, so we sprint from place to place without taking a minute to breathe and explore. I've been watching some First stories, and this feels like that, six or seven chunks of story, each exploring something different with its 25 minutes, only now the whole thing is squeezed into 45 minutes and doesn't actually explore anything. They're even immediately separated from the TARDIS. They've even got a Susan.

That's...an amazing observation, actually. The original run at least benefited from 4 to 6 parts to help world build a bit. Modern Who has to compress and condense everything into an under-an-hour chunk.

#8788 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:58 AM

Well that was a lackluster episode.

An episode about a space hotel besieged by monsters, that could be interesting.

Oh now it's about a band of survivors travestying a desolate wasteland.

Like all good twists, it contributes nothing to the plot, and has no thematic impact or significance. .

The human drama was also lacking.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#8789 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 39719 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:24 AM

I liked the episode. It felt very much like a Eccelston episode and I liked that they were on Earth. I don't mind the preachy elements of it, because honestly, we all really should be doing more.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#8790 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6415 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 02:45 PM

Had a mini marathon watching both Curse of Peladon and Monster of Peladon for the first time.

Brian Hayles saw it coming.

#8791 NOIP

NOIP

A knockdown dragout rock and roll party in the streets.

• Citizen
  • 2287 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

I thought the level of preach was to damn high. I relalize DW has always had it's moments but this was waaaaay too much.
While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#8792 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6415 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:36 AM

The Cybermen are going to return this season and it seems they will have a new form.

I think there's actually more potential in having a few stories on Mondas showing the pre Cybermen civilisation that lived there like how it broke away from it's orbit, maybe it's creation, it's Silurians and Sea Devils, a Dalek incursion to gut its core and other possibilities.

#8793 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 833 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:30 AM

That was actually good. Probably the best of the era so far, which is a kind of faint praise thing. Would be above average for Who since the revival in general. Tight, compelling story, good villains with a nice concept. Goran Visnjic was great, and was well up to the task of playing Tesla as a quasi-Doctor. Anjli Mohindra was surprisingly good under all the makeup. And, finally, the Doctor got angry. She was a bit Ten, with the 'gave you a chance' and the 'seen so many' bits, but I'll take that over cheery ambivalence.

Couple of clunky bits, like the TARDIS not having enough power in her captured star to power a basic force field and a bit of lightning, or the over-long bit where Tesla rhapsodies on how great inventing is to the Doctor, but they stand out a bit more because everything that surrounds them is better, rather than being just little bits in the sea of clunky bits and mediocrity that we've been getting.

#8794 Telly

Telly

Needs things explained to him sometimes...

• Retired Staff
  • 8484 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:53 PM

The Cybermen are going to return this season and it seems they will have a new form.

I think there's actually more potential in having a few stories on Mondas showing the pre Cybermen civilisation that lived there like how it broke away from it's orbit, maybe it's creation, it's Silurians and Sea Devils, a Dalek incursion to gut its core and other possibilities.

genesis of the cybermen

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#8795 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1642 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:39 PM

We already got that though in 12's last season kind of, with the colony ship and all in the season finale, though there's still space to work with I suppose around that.

#8796 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 434 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:11 AM

Wel lthat was an enjoyable episode. If I wanted to, I could probably pick apart it's themes of capitalism, worker-exploitation and industrialisation, but I don't want to.

I sure hope it's not downhill again next time.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#8797 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36628 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:24 AM

Finally cuaght up on the last two episodes, and boy are they night and day...

I think Orphan 55 is my least favorite of 13's so far. The whole reveal just feels like it breaks with canon of what we know, even the alternate timelines bit. Just feels like they were trying way too hard for an enviromentalism story. I also kept expecting a real plot twist with the Dregs, and not the boring one we got. Even something as simple as 'Not the monsters everyone thinks they are' with them keeping Benni alive, for no reason; and his getting killed off screen felt like classic set-up for a role reversal type story. Just about anything would be better then what we got.

OTOH Nikolas Tesla's Night of Terror is fantastic. Probably the best of 13's run. Minorly disappointed that the Skifra didn't seem to have any mentioned connection to the Racnoss, despite how similar the two queens looked, acted, and sounded. It doesn't change anything, but it would have been a nice nod. It almost seemed to be setting up for a similar scene where 13 would tell them who she is, like 10 did with the Racnoss Queen as well. But yes, we get a very fun historical plot with Tesla being an amazing character, and yes almost Doctor-like. I honestly don't have any complaints about this one, and this is the kinda stories I hoped we'd be seeing more of after the premier went so well.

I hope Orphan 55 is the outlier and the rest of the season is more like Spyfall and Night of Terror.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#8798 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9377 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:23 PM

https://ew.com/tv/20...tm_content=link

Jodie Whittaker is on board for at least one more season.

#8799 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6415 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

Spoiler

Edited by Maximus Ambus, 26 January 2020 - 05:01 PM.

#8800 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1642 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:56 PM

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users