Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

@  RichardT1977 : (14 April 2019 - 06:37 PM)

So it's like a prequel to Cabaret?

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 04:02 PM)

And man, characters are smoking literally EVERYWHERE.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:27 PM)

Also, full frontal male nudity. (There's been quite a bit of female nudity since episode 1.)

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:26 PM)

Episode 6, and Hitler is randomly name-checked.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Gallifrey Central: The Doctor Who Thread

Day Of The Doctor

8640 replies to this topic

#41 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28125 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 20 2011, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed. And to be completely fair, Voyage of the Damned was humorous in the aspect that it was stated London was evacuated mainly because something bad always happens on Christmas.

Though, in regards to lazy writing, Voyage of the Damned is guilty of this just as much as the current Moffat specials are. The Poseidon Adventure parallels and all that.

That's true and to be honest I was surprised someone hadn't mentioned it sooner. However, that's basically one against Moffat's current score of two. I can forgive RTD for doing a special based on something else because he'd already tried to give us two previous specials that were original. Moffat has just gone straight for 'Doctor Who does...'.

Also, to clarify, I don't hate Moffat. I am dissapointed in his tenure but that's mainly because I know he can do better and he's kind of been repeating himself (or RTD, by subjecting us to yet another year of 'The Doctor knows he's going to die soon and tries to run'). The fact that I'm expecting better of a veteran professional is not trashing the guy.

#42 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45231 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 20 2011, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's true and to be honest I was surprised someone hadn't mentioned it sooner. However, that's basically one against Moffat's current score of two. I can forgive RTD for doing a special based on something else because he'd already tried to give us two previous specials that were original.

Original, but hardly gripping.

Christmas Invasion was horribly Doctor-lite, especially seeing as how it was Tennant's premiere performance and he spent the vast majority of the episode asleep. At the time, it wasn't exactly a great start to a new Doctor.

The Runaway Bride wasn't exactly the best episode out of the gate either. Donna was extremely annoying, and unlike Christmas Invasion or Voyage of the Damned, it barely registered as a Christmas Special. The only Christmas imagery was the Father Christmas Robot that was recycled from the previous year.

I'll admit, "Doctor Who Does..." can be a bit of a downer, and Moffat's vast multi-part epic is starting to wear thin but ultimately I think the series is doing nothing but improving as the years go by and that includes the Christmas Specials.
Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#43 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28125 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 20 2011, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 20 2011, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's true and to be honest I was surprised someone hadn't mentioned it sooner. However, that's basically one against Moffat's current score of two. I can forgive RTD for doing a special based on something else because he'd already tried to give us two previous specials that were original.

Original, but hardly gripping.

Christmas Invasion was horribly Doctor-lite, especially seeing as how it was Tennant's premiere performance and he spent the vast majority of the episode asleep. At the time, it wasn't exactly a great start to a new Doctor.

The Runaway Bride wasn't exactly the best episode out of the gate either. Donna was extremely annoying, and unlike Christmas Invasion or Voyage of the Damned, it barely registered as a Christmas Special. The only Christmas imagery was the Father Christmas Robot that was recycled from the previous year.

I'll admit, "Doctor Who Does..." can be a bit of a downer, and Moffat's vast multi-part epic is starting to wear thin but ultimately I think the series is doing nothing but improving as the years go by and that includes the Christmas Specials.

Fair points and I'll agree. You only have to look at the Miracle Day thread to see I'll give RTD stick at times and I remember some back and forth here when VOTD first aired, with me on the 'It was ok, but not awesome' side. For one thing, that slow mo bit with the Doctor ascending via the Hosts....still a 'What the hell?' moment.

#44 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45231 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

Eh. It still beats Last of the Time Lords where the Doctor beats the Master thanks to everyone in the world believing in him a la Fortress Maximus in Robots in Disguise.

That still pisses me off. I legitimately love all of Season Three (Yes, even Daleks in Manhattan), up until A Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords. The whole season was brilliant...and then we got Simms terrible portrayal of the Master (Which I don't fault Simms for) and the Doctor winning through a overused and cliche Anime Trope.

I mean, I'll carry on about The End of Time, but that's partly in good humor. Season Three finale?

What makes it even worse is, unlike Love and Monsters which is just straight up dreck from beginning to end, there are legitimately good segments and ideas being utilized. The Master's dealing with the Reporter and the Cabinet are both darkly humorous, and his hunting of Martha gives us a glimpse of a truly terrifying nemesis of the Doctor (And it's why I don't blame Simms for the Master's sub-par portrayal).

Wait. How did I go from Christmas Specials to the Season Three finale? I'm not sure I can even follow my own logic path here, but the point still stands...I suppose. I guess what I'm trying to say is Moffat would have to intentionally try and write something worse then Last of the Time Lords for me to condemn it.
Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#45 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28125 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

I liked Last of the Time Lords icon-screamer.gif

#46 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2296 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

Love and Monsters was great, hush you!

Last of the Time Lords left me cold when I first saw it, mostly because of the bizarre decision to take Tennant out of the mix for most of the ep, when it was his interaction with Simm which made the previous ep so great.

The day is saved because the Master has used the Archangel network to low-level hypnotise the planet, so getting everyone to believe in the Doctor at the same time throws the system into reverse and lets the Doctor defeat the Master using his own methods. Unfortunately that part is mentioned so briefly it is easy to miss first time, so it looks like the Doctor is just using magic.

#47 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28125 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Yeah, I'm always amazed people fail to grasp that. Especially from a fanbase that will defend similar but even more wonky examples in other stories.

#48 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36042 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 20 2011, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I'm always amazed people fail to grasp that. Especially from a fanbase that will defend similar but even more wonky examples in other stories.

Not to mention, that for any old school fan or recent fan that's seen the old stuff, Master admits that his biggest fear is exactly this; a super-powered Dcotor. It feels like RTD was reference that old line, in the way he gets defeated here. All his work is turned against him in a single moment, that leads the Doctor to greatly benefit and resemble the Master's biggest fear.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#49 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2296 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 20 2011, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's really poorly explained though, just a rushed line, from what I can remember. Good concept, not good execution, which is a shame.

#50 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45231 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:03 PM

Oh I understand the concept just fine. I still find it moronically stupid.

#51 UnicronusPrime

UnicronusPrime

I Will Eat Your Planet!

• Citizen
  • 6123 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

I AM CANADIAN
QUOTE(Defunct @ Mar 1 2006, 09:14 PM)
What part of "everyone who doesn't go on a murderous rampage gets in to heaven" doesn't make sense?

#52 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45231 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

icon-fire.gif

#53 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9077 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Blueshift @ Nov 20 2011, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last of the Time Lords left me cold when I first saw it, mostly because of the bizarre decision to take Tennant out of the mix for most of the ep, when it was his interaction with Simm which made the previous ep so great.

The day is saved because the Master has used the Archangel network to low-level hypnotise the planet, so getting everyone to believe in the Doctor at the same time throws the system into reverse and lets the Doctor defeat the Master using his own methods. Unfortunately that part is mentioned so briefly it is easy to miss first time, so it looks like the Doctor is just using magic.

So how did the Doctor go from a shrunken ancient tiny dude in a bird cage back to full-sized, normal-aged dude? I recall there being some explanation, but I don't recall it making any sense.

#54 Stilton Disco

Stilton Disco
  • Citizen
  • 3714 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:23 AM

QUOTE(Mouse_Pad @ Nov 20 2011, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Blueshift @ Nov 20 2011, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So how did the Doctor go from a shrunken ancient tiny dude in a bird cage back to full-sized, normal-aged dude? I recall there being some explanation, but I don't recall it making any sense.

Well, the Master had been using psychic hypnotism with the Archangel mobile phone satellite network to make the entire human race trust him, which somehow used the four drum beats of the Timelords he was hearing in his head, Martha was then sent by the Doctor around the world to get everyone to say and think the same thing at the same time one year to the day after the Master took over the Earth. Using the Archangel network in the opposite manner to how it was designed to work somehow, the Doctor was able to utilise this psychic energy and convert it, presumably to laser screw driver or Lazarus chamber form, using the same energy manipulation powers he'd used to remove the time vortex from Bad Wolf Rose, put the radiation in his shoe when he met Martha, and alter a lightning strike to convert the Human Daleks to Human Timelord Daleks. This somehow enabled him to not only reverse the being turned into a tiny goblin man thing, but also give him the powers of invulnerability, flight and bioluminescence.

That's the explanation, and no it doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Total Biscuit, 21 November 2011 - 03:25 AM.

No, I'm not 'that' TotalBiscuit.

#55 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59783 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:37 AM

Oh it makes perfect sense -- RTD is a jivey story teller.

#56 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28125 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

Stuff HC thinks is good writing = Most everyone else finds terrible.

Stuff HC thinks is bad writing = Most everyone else loves.

Archangel powered Doctor is still a better conclusion then 'Time Vortex powered Rose'. At least it was actually seeded in the previous episode.

#57 Stilton Disco

Stilton Disco
  • Citizen
  • 3714 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 21 2011, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archangel powered Doctor is still a better conclusion then 'Time Vortex powered Rose'. At least it was actually seeded in the previous episode.

Eh, I don't mind Bad Wolf Rose, which was slightly foreshadowed with Boom Town showing the Tardis being able to intervene when she considered is necessary. However that's more due to it seeming to be just Rose being possessed by the Tardis, and Bad Wolf Rose being almost an early appearance of Sexy, hence normal rose not remembering it after.

Of course it's then retconned to Rose remembering it all, which I don't like, but that's true of pretty much everything involving rose.
No, I'm not 'that' TotalBiscuit.

#58 Scottimus Prime

Scottimus Prime

Wanna check these ratings? I seem to have an audience of 2...

• Supporter
  • 6115 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

DWM has confirmed that Matt will be staying at least through the Christmas 2012 and 50th Anniversary specials... icon-hotrod.gif
QUOTE(Drivaaar @ Jan 22 2006, 06:22 PM)
Y'see, even the Editor of the Enquirer has to draw the pun line somewhere, and you just obliterated that line with a big huge cannon filled with vast amounts of gunpowder.

#59 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28125 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(Total Biscuit @ Nov 21 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eh, I don't mind Bad Wolf Rose, which was slightly foreshadowed with Boom Town showing the Tardis being able to intervene when she considered is necessary. However that's more due to it seeming to be just Rose being possessed by the Tardis, and Bad Wolf Rose being almost an early appearance of Sexy, hence normal rose not remembering it after.

Of course it's then retconned to Rose remembering it all, which I don't like, but that's true of pretty much everything involving rose.

I know everyone always points out Boom Town, but I still personally find it doesn't satisfy me. RTD builts up this massive threat, the Daleks bearing down on future Earth with the Doctor stuck without any options. This is then resolved by making Rose omnipotent and having her turn the Dalek's into dust. It just feels like a cop out given how strong the story had generally been before that point.

#60 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36042 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 21 2011, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Total Biscuit @ Nov 21 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know everyone always points out Boom Town, but I still personally find it doesn't satisfy me. RTD builts up this massive threat, the Daleks bearing down on future Earth with the Doctor stuck without any options. This is then resolved by making Rose omnipotent and having her turn the Dalek's into dust. It just feels like a cop out given how strong the story had generally been before that point.

Cop-outs are RTD's trademark.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users