Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Gallifrey Central: The Doctor Who Thread

Day Of The Doctor

8652 replies to this topic

#21 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

I'm just bitter today, and would probably agree with anything on the same wavelength.

I still don't get how everything was fixed up at the end of Wedding of River Song just like I still get hung up on the 'It's not a paradox' at the end of Big Bang.

Meanwhile, I bought 12 packs of the new wave of Doctor Who Minifigs, and got five Rory's, and two fishy vampire girls, but no River.
On them twitters

#22 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46110 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Nov 14 2011, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still don't get how everything was fixed up at the end of Wedding of River Song just like I still get hung up on the 'It's not a paradox' at the end of Big Bang.

Moffat likes playing with the Temporal aspects of the character. Basically, what happened in both Season 5 and 6 was the creation of alternate time lines where certain events did not happen. In Season 5, it was in response to the TARDIS self-destructing due to outside influence (And lets face it, a TARDIS going boom would cause some serious problems in the space time continuum. Especially one that's...no longer standard issue like the Doctor's). In Season 6, it's because River did not kill the Doctor, a fixed point in time that could not be avoided.

They are Paradoxes, but not in the sense of a daughter saving a dead father or holding her younger self. If you really want to get into the Technobabble territory, it's possible the reason the Reapers don't show up to eat everything is because the TARDIS prevents them since its stint as the Master's Paradox Machine (Which created the Year That Never Was).

At the end of the day...Wibbley, Wobbley, Timey, Whimey is the simplest explanation available.

#23 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28543 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Moffat, please stop ripping off other stories for the Christmas specials. This is starting to go beyond 'homage' and into flat out lazy copying.

#24 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

Upsetti Spaghetti

• Retired Staff
  • 18811 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

I don't know, I kind of like classic Christmas stories being retold with a Doctor Who bent. It's a huge step up from RTD's "Normal episode that just happens to be set at Christmas" specials.

#25 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46110 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Agreed. The RTD era Christmas specials weren't exactly festive. Indeed, it often was just an excuse to get murderous robots in Father Christmas outfits. Let's see some reason for the season.

#26 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

A narnia-themed christmas special seems fun.

PM me if you're bored!

#27 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28543 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

I consider it lazy coming from a man who did nothing but tell us how fresh and imaginative his tenure would be. The RTD specials aren't flawless but they're pretty much perfect for what they're meant to be, an extra episode that does some things you could only get away with on that one day of the year and something special for all the kids sitting down with their newly opened sonic screwdrivers and RC Daleks. I'll freely admit last year's special proved my initial doubts wrong but I really wish Moffat would do better. This is the one episode most people will see each year. What better time to showcase how original your show is?

#28 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9160 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

I adore last year's Christmas special. It borrowed the general theme from A Christmas Carol, but the story was wholly unique, both in terms of Christmas tales and Doctor Who. I don't have any reason to think that this year's episode will be any less creative.

Also, I've never read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, so I won't notice even if it is lacking originality.

#29 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Last year's Christmas Special was amazing.
I'll take that over murderous implements in festive guise. That doesn't really make it a special, you could do that at any point during the season.

#30 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32823 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 19 2011, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I consider it lazy coming from a man who did nothing but tell us how fresh and imaginative his tenure would be.

Perhaps it will also be "neon" and "playskool" icon-fire.gif
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#31 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46110 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 19 2011, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I consider it lazy coming from a man who did nothing but tell us how fresh and imaginative his tenure would be.

I dunno, taking a recognizable Christmas Fable and doctoring it up (No pun intended) as to avoid both copyright infringement as well as retreading the same story ground would be fresh and imaginative.

If A Christmas Carol is any indication, this latest special is only going to bear a passing resemblance to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Though I admit, I'm still miffed we never got to see the Egyptian Goddess running loose on the Orient Express in Space.

#32 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28543 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 20 2011, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 19 2011, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno, taking a recognizable Christmas Fable and doctoring it up (No pun intended) as to avoid both copyright infringement as well as retreading the same story ground would be fresh and imaginative.

If A Christmas Carol is any indication, this latest special is only going to bear a passing resemblance to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Though I admit, I'm still miffed we never got to see the Egyptian Goddess running loose on the Orient Express in Space.

I'm talking partly from the viewpoint of someone whose family basically only watch one episode a year, the Christmas one. So it wouldn't matter what clever ideas we see across the regular season (and to be honest, I'm one of those finding Moffat's run to generally be lacking and self indulgent), if they see that one episode clearly ripping off something else that will completely colour their view on the show for the rest of the year.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but none of the British fans I speak to seem to expect the Christmas episodes to be 'A Very Doctor Who Christmas'. Most were quite content to get the robot santas and killer trees whilst having a story that served as a fun bonus for the yearly run and snuck in a clue to the next season for the long term fans. Really, there's no reason for Moffat to keep going back to pre-established stories to tell his own. I'd like to think a writer of his talents can do better then make Doctor Who into a show that copies other scripts whilst throwing the word 'wibbley' in.

#33 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6172 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

I...really don't see enough in that preview to say "this will be a Doctor Who adaptation of the Narnia story". It looks more like there are a couple of winking references in the setup and a title spoof. I think you're coming at this from a preexisting stance of disliking Moffat and that's coloring your perception.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#34 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9160 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 20 2011, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm talking partly from the viewpoint of someone whose family basically only watch one episode a year, the Christmas one. So it wouldn't matter what clever ideas we see across the regular season (and to be honest, I'm one of those finding Moffat's run to generally be lacking and self indulgent), if they see that one episode clearly ripping off something else that will completely colour their view on the show for the rest of the year.

Your complaint is baseless. A Christmas Carol didn't rip off the Dickens story. It didn't have three spirits or a Tiny Tim. It borrowed the theme of trying to redeem a miserly old man, but the story was totally original.

And yeah, what Swift said. You clearly don't like what Moffat has done, and that's fine. You can like or hate whatever you want. But you're totally making things up to try to support your point of view.

#35 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28543 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

How am I making stuff up? Look at that trailer, look at that title. The Narnia influence couldn't be more obvious. When that's what you're producing, it goes beyond simply being 'inspired' by. I never said this would be an exact line for line copy but when you obviously lift so much from elsewhere, it isn't wrong to expect better. Moffat is an industry professional and as such I'd expect something more imaginative. Why is taking him to task for lazy writing trashing the guy with a baseless argument?

#36 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Because you haven't even seen the episode yet, Hellcat.

PM me if you're bored!

#37 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28543 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(Unfair Fight @ Nov 20 2011, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because you haven't even seen the episode yet, Hellcat.

And that means I can't call them out for openly promoting the fact the episode is, in part, 'Doctor Who does Narnia'? I never claimed I've seen the episode, I'm just very dissapointed that under Moffat we can expect the Christmas specials to be 'Doctor Who does someone else's idea'.

#38 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46110 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

I still maintain its better to get some actual Christmas Themed stories for the Christmas Special then what we got under RTD.

#39 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28543 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 20 2011, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still maintain its better to get some actual Christmas Themed stories for the Christmas Special then what we got under RTD.

We'll all have different opinions, obviously. Personally, I liked the fact that the RTD Christmas episodes were all just fun romps that ocurred on Christmas Day. It allowed for pay offs like the joke in Voyage of the Damned when the Doctor starts lecturing on the spirit of the season and then stops himself when he realises Christmas for him always seems to involve disaster and mayhem. Really, with a show that's about a man who lives a life outside of what the audience considers normal, the idea of a traditional Christmas special (I know, someone will say 'Flying sharks are traditional?' for one) with forced emotion and such just seems wrong. Any other show or one off special can and have given us that.

But again, we all have different tastes.

Edited by HellCat, 20 November 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#40 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46110 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Indeed. And to be completely fair, Voyage of the Damned was humorous in the aspect that it was stated London was evacuated mainly because something bad always happens on Christmas.

Though, in regards to lazy writing, Voyage of the Damned is guilty of this just as much as the current Moffat specials are. The Poseidon Adventure parallels and all that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users