Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 December 2019 - 02:13 AM)

Is BWTF down?

@  Nevermore : (15 December 2019 - 04:05 PM)

The music, if you'd even call it that, adds to the creepy atmosphere. Apparently it was recorded using sounds created in a real nuclear power plant of the same type as Chernobyl.

@  Nevermore : (15 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

In case you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend the HBO mini-series "Chernobyl", which is about, well, you know. It's very intense and not for the faint-heartet. I'd say it's more scary than any horror flick, because (despite some artistic liberties taken with the behavior of some of the characters, and the timeline for some events), it's eerily real.

@  Sabrblade : (15 December 2019 - 10:51 AM)

Hey, at least you baked a cake in the bathroom. Not many can attest to that. :p

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Nope. Forgot entirely, had to make another trip.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

Well, did you get water?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Went to the bathroom, shaved, baked a cake... wait, I only got up to get some water...

@  unluckiness : (14 December 2019 - 09:01 AM)

That's a common misconception. You see compared to the first run, it's a new mold.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 December 2019 - 03:27 AM)

Wouldn't that just add packaging authenticity? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2019 - 01:44 AM)

I read a anecdote of someone recently receiving a Glacialord with mold because apparently online stores' warehouses have been sitting on Fansproject products like that for years.

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Gallifrey Central: The Doctor Who Thread

Day Of The Doctor

8701 replies to this topic

#21 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

I'm just bitter today, and would probably agree with anything on the same wavelength.

I still don't get how everything was fixed up at the end of Wedding of River Song just like I still get hung up on the 'It's not a paradox' at the end of Big Bang.

Meanwhile, I bought 12 packs of the new wave of Doctor Who Minifigs, and got five Rory's, and two fishy vampire girls, but no River.
On them twitters

#22 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Nov 14 2011, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still don't get how everything was fixed up at the end of Wedding of River Song just like I still get hung up on the 'It's not a paradox' at the end of Big Bang.

Moffat likes playing with the Temporal aspects of the character. Basically, what happened in both Season 5 and 6 was the creation of alternate time lines where certain events did not happen. In Season 5, it was in response to the TARDIS self-destructing due to outside influence (And lets face it, a TARDIS going boom would cause some serious problems in the space time continuum. Especially one that's...no longer standard issue like the Doctor's). In Season 6, it's because River did not kill the Doctor, a fixed point in time that could not be avoided.

They are Paradoxes, but not in the sense of a daughter saving a dead father or holding her younger self. If you really want to get into the Technobabble territory, it's possible the reason the Reapers don't show up to eat everything is because the TARDIS prevents them since its stint as the Master's Paradox Machine (Which created the Year That Never Was).

At the end of the day...Wibbley, Wobbley, Timey, Whimey is the simplest explanation available.

#23 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28754 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Moffat, please stop ripping off other stories for the Christmas specials. This is starting to go beyond 'homage' and into flat out lazy copying.

#24 MsVirion

MsVirion
  • Retired Staff
  • 18845 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

I don't know, I kind of like classic Christmas stories being retold with a Doctor Who bent. It's a huge step up from RTD's "Normal episode that just happens to be set at Christmas" specials.

#25 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Agreed. The RTD era Christmas specials weren't exactly festive. Indeed, it often was just an excuse to get murderous robots in Father Christmas outfits. Let's see some reason for the season.

#26 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

A narnia-themed christmas special seems fun.

PM me if you're bored!

#27 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28754 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

I consider it lazy coming from a man who did nothing but tell us how fresh and imaginative his tenure would be. The RTD specials aren't flawless but they're pretty much perfect for what they're meant to be, an extra episode that does some things you could only get away with on that one day of the year and something special for all the kids sitting down with their newly opened sonic screwdrivers and RC Daleks. I'll freely admit last year's special proved my initial doubts wrong but I really wish Moffat would do better. This is the one episode most people will see each year. What better time to showcase how original your show is?

#28 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9242 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

I adore last year's Christmas special. It borrowed the general theme from A Christmas Carol, but the story was wholly unique, both in terms of Christmas tales and Doctor Who. I don't have any reason to think that this year's episode will be any less creative.

Also, I've never read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, so I won't notice even if it is lacking originality.

#29 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Last year's Christmas Special was amazing.
I'll take that over murderous implements in festive guise. That doesn't really make it a special, you could do that at any point during the season.

#30 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32921 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 19 2011, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I consider it lazy coming from a man who did nothing but tell us how fresh and imaginative his tenure would be.

Perhaps it will also be "neon" and "playskool" icon-fire.gif
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#31 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 19 2011, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I consider it lazy coming from a man who did nothing but tell us how fresh and imaginative his tenure would be.

I dunno, taking a recognizable Christmas Fable and doctoring it up (No pun intended) as to avoid both copyright infringement as well as retreading the same story ground would be fresh and imaginative.

If A Christmas Carol is any indication, this latest special is only going to bear a passing resemblance to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Though I admit, I'm still miffed we never got to see the Egyptian Goddess running loose on the Orient Express in Space.

#32 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28754 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 20 2011, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 19 2011, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno, taking a recognizable Christmas Fable and doctoring it up (No pun intended) as to avoid both copyright infringement as well as retreading the same story ground would be fresh and imaginative.

If A Christmas Carol is any indication, this latest special is only going to bear a passing resemblance to The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Though I admit, I'm still miffed we never got to see the Egyptian Goddess running loose on the Orient Express in Space.

I'm talking partly from the viewpoint of someone whose family basically only watch one episode a year, the Christmas one. So it wouldn't matter what clever ideas we see across the regular season (and to be honest, I'm one of those finding Moffat's run to generally be lacking and self indulgent), if they see that one episode clearly ripping off something else that will completely colour their view on the show for the rest of the year.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but none of the British fans I speak to seem to expect the Christmas episodes to be 'A Very Doctor Who Christmas'. Most were quite content to get the robot santas and killer trees whilst having a story that served as a fun bonus for the yearly run and snuck in a clue to the next season for the long term fans. Really, there's no reason for Moffat to keep going back to pre-established stories to tell his own. I'd like to think a writer of his talents can do better then make Doctor Who into a show that copies other scripts whilst throwing the word 'wibbley' in.

#33 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6233 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

I...really don't see enough in that preview to say "this will be a Doctor Who adaptation of the Narnia story". It looks more like there are a couple of winking references in the setup and a title spoof. I think you're coming at this from a preexisting stance of disliking Moffat and that's coloring your perception.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#34 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9242 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 20 2011, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm talking partly from the viewpoint of someone whose family basically only watch one episode a year, the Christmas one. So it wouldn't matter what clever ideas we see across the regular season (and to be honest, I'm one of those finding Moffat's run to generally be lacking and self indulgent), if they see that one episode clearly ripping off something else that will completely colour their view on the show for the rest of the year.

Your complaint is baseless. A Christmas Carol didn't rip off the Dickens story. It didn't have three spirits or a Tiny Tim. It borrowed the theme of trying to redeem a miserly old man, but the story was totally original.

And yeah, what Swift said. You clearly don't like what Moffat has done, and that's fine. You can like or hate whatever you want. But you're totally making things up to try to support your point of view.

#35 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28754 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

How am I making stuff up? Look at that trailer, look at that title. The Narnia influence couldn't be more obvious. When that's what you're producing, it goes beyond simply being 'inspired' by. I never said this would be an exact line for line copy but when you obviously lift so much from elsewhere, it isn't wrong to expect better. Moffat is an industry professional and as such I'd expect something more imaginative. Why is taking him to task for lazy writing trashing the guy with a baseless argument?

#36 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:00 AM

Because you haven't even seen the episode yet, Hellcat.

PM me if you're bored!

#37 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28754 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(Unfair Fight @ Nov 20 2011, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because you haven't even seen the episode yet, Hellcat.

And that means I can't call them out for openly promoting the fact the episode is, in part, 'Doctor Who does Narnia'? I never claimed I've seen the episode, I'm just very dissapointed that under Moffat we can expect the Christmas specials to be 'Doctor Who does someone else's idea'.

#38 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

I still maintain its better to get some actual Christmas Themed stories for the Christmas Special then what we got under RTD.

#39 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28754 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 20 2011, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still maintain its better to get some actual Christmas Themed stories for the Christmas Special then what we got under RTD.

We'll all have different opinions, obviously. Personally, I liked the fact that the RTD Christmas episodes were all just fun romps that ocurred on Christmas Day. It allowed for pay offs like the joke in Voyage of the Damned when the Doctor starts lecturing on the spirit of the season and then stops himself when he realises Christmas for him always seems to involve disaster and mayhem. Really, with a show that's about a man who lives a life outside of what the audience considers normal, the idea of a traditional Christmas special (I know, someone will say 'Flying sharks are traditional?' for one) with forced emotion and such just seems wrong. Any other show or one off special can and have given us that.

But again, we all have different tastes.

Edited by HellCat, 20 November 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#40 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:45 AM

Indeed. And to be completely fair, Voyage of the Damned was humorous in the aspect that it was stated London was evacuated mainly because something bad always happens on Christmas.

Though, in regards to lazy writing, Voyage of the Damned is guilty of this just as much as the current Moffat specials are. The Poseidon Adventure parallels and all that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users