Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 August 2018 - 08:40 PM)

I saw him on The Trek BBS some months before he hit the Allspark.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 05:47 PM)

He was considered an annoying pest even back then.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 05:47 PM)

I finally managed to dig up some of Jason Irelan's earliest posts, at the Alvaro Comicboards Transformers forum. Dating back to 2003.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 12:43 PM)

The best thing is that repeatedly buying the same cabinet means an increasing routine in assembling the things.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 August 2018 - 10:39 AM)

Welp, beats me. I got four shelves.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 08:38 AM)

Finally I can showcase my collection in an appropriate manner.

@  Nevermore : (19 August 2018 - 08:38 AM)

I bought thirteen display cabinets for my new apartment from Ikea.

@  RichardT1977 : (19 August 2018 - 12:42 AM)

*groan*...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 August 2018 - 11:43 PM)

Well don't hang up on us, tel us abaud it!

@  Cybersnark : (18 August 2018 - 04:25 PM)

I'm back with a new modem!

@  wonko the sane? : (18 August 2018 - 03:58 PM)

And I just managed to clean out my bed drawers, so I can move on to the next step when I'm ready.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 August 2018 - 03:45 PM)

I doubt I set any records, but now my cat can't jump on my PC and hit the power button or reset button, so... improvement.

@  RichardT1977 : (18 August 2018 - 02:28 PM)

Back in St. Olaf they used to have IKEA building contests...

@  Paladin : (18 August 2018 - 11:44 AM)

enjoy yur affordable Svedish crap.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 August 2018 - 11:33 AM)

Ikea is dangerous. I bought a new desk and a bed frame...

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 August 2018 - 11:19 AM)

Var.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:19 AM)

Oh, and there's also a few percent extra wage for every overtime hour on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:19 AM)

Some people just work an hour extra every day and then request a day off when they have collected enough hours.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:18 AM)

Come in on your day off? Work an hour extra on a normal working day? Counts. What you do with your overtime doesn't matter just as long as you worked overtime in the first place.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:18 AM)

Anything goes - filing a request for financial compensation for your overtime, getting them compensated by spare time either in full "stay at home" days or "go home early" days (always with permission by your superior), it doesn't matter. What matters is that you worked longer than your contract and your official shift plan require you on any given day.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:16 AM)

Now the important thing here is that overtime is clocked daily, so if you work an hour extra (all overtime prior to the Christmas peak season is voluntary) and then immediately work an hour less on the following day (assuming you got your superior's permission), you may have a net zero on your overtime account but still scored one hour for the premium regardless.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:14 AM)

In other news, I unlocked an achievement at work: There is an agreement between the works council and the employer which states that anyone who works 55 overtime hours this year between January and the end of September gets a premium in October.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:12 AM)

Of course, the idiots keep bringing up the fact that DC used it "first", despite us telling them over and over again that who was "first" is completely irrelevant in trademarks.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 06:10 AM)

Actually they just settled.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2018 - 05:03 AM)

Sounds like Hasbro should win it easily.. They'be been using it constantly for years, so even if DC did have it, they haven't been using and defending their trademark.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 04:54 AM)

Well, haven't in a long time, that is.

And there haven't been any toys based on DC's Teen Titans Bumblebee character until recently.

Because Hasbro is selling toys.

The trademark dispute was specifically about toys.

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2018 - 04:50 AM)

Thought to be fair I didn't even know Hasbro and DC were having a trademark dispute. I thought that was something that would have been settled years ago (and DC wouldn't be doing much with their Bumblebee at the moment given Marvel's using Wasp at the moment)

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2018 - 04:37 AM)

It sounds like the kind of person isn't going to be deflected by petty concerns like "reason" or "facts".

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 04:18 AM)

I told him repeatedly that the insects are completely irrelevant because THEY ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF SELLING TOYS (or ANY business at all, for that matter).

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2018 - 04:08 AM)

Even if he meant that the word "bumblebee" has been used to describe a particular type of insect (which is a much more coherent statement) it's still wrong.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 03:40 AM)

Claiming that Hasbro's trademark has always been for "Autobot Bumblebee" (a quick look at any toy packaging in the past 12 years proves this wrong), Apple the computer company has never held a trademark for "Apple", only for "Apple Computers" (the USPTO database proves this wrong), you cannot trademark common words (the USPTO database proves this wrong), the insects have been using the name "Bumblebee" for thousands of years (insects don't speak English), and ARGHHHH.

@  Nevermore : (18 August 2018 - 03:38 AM)

Jesus, there's this moron at TFW2005 who has a history of exceptionally outrageous bulls*** claims who is making all sorts of provably false statements in the thread about the Hasbro/DC "Bumblebee" trademark dispute.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 August 2018 - 12:06 AM)

If you stop for gas/directions shortly before getting there and the attendant is unusually creepy and/or inbred, turn back

@  Noideaforaname : (17 August 2018 - 09:49 PM)

Booked a cheap cabin in the stormy mountains filled with alcohol. This is either a great find or the start of a horror film.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 August 2018 - 06:55 PM)

I loved those commercials...

@  Patch : (17 August 2018 - 06:14 PM)

Paladin drank Bud Ice once in the 90s, and the penguins have been after him ever since.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2018 - 01:44 PM)

You weren't using it anyway.

@  Paladin : (17 August 2018 - 12:11 PM)

one by one the penguins steal my sanity...

@  Donocropolis : (17 August 2018 - 06:30 AM)

New band name: The Sabre Worf Hypothesis

@  wonko the sane? : (16 August 2018 - 06:36 AM)

That never goes away. I still have little panic attacks when I see water where it's not supposed to be. I've lived through enough leaking roofs, broken pipes and floods to know it could be a very bad sign.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 August 2018 - 09:20 PM)

Despite my parents explaining that to me when I was a kid, I still half-panic every time I see condensation dripping.

@  Shrug : (15 August 2018 - 08:23 PM)

Yup. If the water happens to be on the left or right of the vehicle, make sure to remember that. That way it's real easy to tell if it's something else dripping.

@  Nevermore : (15 August 2018 - 05:15 PM)

So I checked online and it appears... it's totally normal, that's apparently condensed water from the air conditioning.

@  Nevermore : (15 August 2018 - 05:14 PM)

Phew!" For a moment I thought I was in real trouble because when I arrived at home and drove my car into the garage, there was a trail of large wet spots.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2018 - 08:01 AM)

The showerhead exploded off the pipe this morning. So yeah... think it's going to be a "great" day.

@  Donocropolis : (13 August 2018 - 09:44 PM)

Luckily, it was "Wheel Horse Lawnmower"

@  Donocropolis : (13 August 2018 - 09:44 PM)

I knew that my father was getting old when he finally posted a facebook status that was clearly a search term.

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Gallifrey Central: The Doctor Who Thread

Day Of The Doctor

8318 replies to this topic

#1 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1955 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Old thread collapsed under it's own weight, so here's a new one.

To start us off, here's the old crew celebrating the end of an era

Edited by Proper Dave, 04 November 2011 - 04:10 PM.

QUOTE(Xaaron @ Nov 21 2011, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TF Fans draw so many lines, it looks like a frackin' zebra.

#2 Nebucron

Nebucron

I like swords.

• Citizen
  • 2671 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:02 PM

That was fun...thanks...I really miss David Tennant, but I have to admit that Matt Smith has grown on me far more than I thought he would. I also REALLY like Amy and Rory. Here's hoping they all stick around for awhile.

I've been very slowly catching up with past doctors...I'm up to "the abominable snowmen", 2nd doctor...watching reconstructions for the missing eps is painful, but I do enjoy getting the whole story.

Edited by Nebucron, 04 November 2011 - 05:03 PM.

#3 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2673 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

For some reason, my first reaction to that video was, "There's no way in HELL that Eccleston would've played along with that, if he had stayed..."

#4 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4616 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(Nebucron @ Nov 4 2011, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was fun...thanks...I really miss David Tennant, but I have to admit that Matt Smith has grown on me far more than I thought he would. I also REALLY like Amy and Rory. Here's hoping they all stick around for awhile.

I thought their story was pretty much done.

#5 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35507 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(Benbot @ Nov 5 2011, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Nebucron @ Nov 4 2011, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought their story was pretty much done.

They can still show up, like how Martha was still in about half of season 5 despite no longer being a companion. Just becuase they're story is over or are no longer companions; doesn't mean they can't show up again. And iirc they've signed on for next season, so they probably show up for a modern earth story.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#6 Nebucron

Nebucron

I like swords.

• Citizen
  • 2671 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Yeah...I'm not saying they need to be in every episode or anything, but honestly I think it would be a huge mistake to ditch them altogether...and new stories can always be written for any character. They are signed on for next season, as Database said, so we'll see them again.

#7 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 26989 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

I get the feeling that Moffat wants to avoid the quick rotation of companions that RTD had. He's also heavily implied River Song's story isn't over, so that's another reason to keep the in laws about.

#8 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 8851 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

As much as I love Amy and Rory, I think they got a good send-off. I hope they're not dragged back into the TARDIS in an awkward way. I hope the Doctor picks up a new companion early in the next season and Amy and Rory's story remains on Earth.

#9 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mrs. Who

• Supporter
  • 15986 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

Wow... that was awesome!

nzo8WYb.png

#10 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 43839 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, I'm not ready to let Amy and Rory go yet. Amy was getting obnoxious, but she was better in the finale (Also nice call back to Season Five in regards to her abilities. This is how you do "Special" companions. You don't drop the power of God on them and then take it away. You give them something extremely useful...but only in certain situations). And Rory is just fun. Not the bumbling incompetent male companions of RTD's era, someone who actually has something to contribute to the narrative beyond "Oh my God. I'm the Tin Dog!"

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#11 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Mrs. Who

• Supporter
  • 15986 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 5 2011, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I'm not ready to let Amy and Rory go yet. Amy was getting obnoxious, but she was better in the finale (Also nice call back to Season Five in regards to her abilities. This is how you do "Special" companions. You don't drop the power of God on them and then take it away. You give them something extremely useful...but only in certain situations). And Rory is just fun. Not the bumbling incompetent male companions of RTD's era, someone who actually has something to contribute to the narrative beyond "Oh my God. I'm the Tin Dog!"

That wasn't really a fair comparison, though. K-9 was infinitely more valuable than Mickey.

nzo8WYb.png

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 43839 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Agreed. Unfortunately, after K-9's departure from the series proper, he really hasn't been used very effectively. I mean, in Sarah Jane Adventures, didn't he spend the first few seasons in a cabinet?

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#13 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35507 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 5 2011, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed. Unfortunately, after K-9's departure from the series proper, he really hasn't been used very effectively. I mean, in Sarah Jane Adventures, didn't he spend the first few seasons in a cabinet?

Rights issues, since there was a K9 series in the works the SJA crew suffered a "K9 embargo".

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#14 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 26989 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:19 AM

K-9 gets a few cool moments once the rights issues were resolved. He was basically written out when Luke left, but the final episode introduced a dog whistle for him that likely would have been used if the season had been completed. Really, the worst and most character breaking moment was Clyde hiding him under the table to cheat in a science exam. Especially odd since it was a school with those 'massive open space on the bottom' science class desks.

Haven't seen his own series but what I've heard doesn't sound good. Apparently alot of Australian actors forcing London accents.

#15 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 43839 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

I wish they'd just bring him back to Who proper. It'd be nice to have the Doctor interacting with him again.

#16 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1955 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Nov 6 2011, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish they'd just bring him back to Who proper. It'd be nice to have the Doctor interacting with him again.

Same! I miss Mickey! oh wait!

#17 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

Someone at el 'reg is rather cranky about the how sappy the good Doctor has been lately:

http://www.theregist...otional_rescue/

I can't say I disagree.
On them twitters

#18 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1955 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

Doctor Who - The Movie?

#19 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5066 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:31 PM

Link does not work.

But this one does:

http://www.cinemable...ates-27882.html

I wish it didn't.

On them twitters

#20 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 43839 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(Nanite @ Nov 14 2011, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Someone at el 'reg is rather cranky about the how sappy the good Doctor has been lately:

http://www.theregist...otional_rescue/

I can't say I disagree.

Didn't they poke fun at this mentality in The Wasp and the Unicorn?

I can't say there isn't a certain "reality" in letting bad things befall the major guest stars, but it's not like the major guest stars have been all sunshine and roses. Despite getting better, Rory was killed, and in the space of that time frame Amy and the Doctor had a adventure with Pablo Picasso - who they establish still kills himself.

You can argue the sensitivity of the modern watcher all you want, but view it from a in-universe perspective. The Doctor has lived through the most horrific war imaginable in the Last Great Time War (Where Billions died every second only to be reborn to die again), and had to condemn his entire species to certain death twice over. That's been the whole gist of the series up until Matt took the reins: The Doctor learning to live again. Dealing with that darkness inside of himself and learning that every life is precious and not just dismissing "The little people" (Insert dialogue from the end of The Waters of Mars as well as The End of Time here).

Let's take Inferno for example. Great classic story. Very epic in scope for its time and extremely well done. But going back to it, Pertwee's Doctor barely batted an eye at leaving all these people behind. There wasn't even any hesitation. There was no drama. "Well, that sucks doesn't it?" *Shrug shoulders and carry on*

In reality, witnessing the absolute destruction of a planet should have driven him to the brink of insanity. Especially having to leave people who had trusted him and become his friends.

Some may prefer the cold, stand offish Doctor and I still get a kick out of him, but ultimately I'll take "Everybody lives, Rose. Just this once...EVERYBODY LIVES!" over it.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users