Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

The Tokusatsu thread - people die if they are killed edition

7987 replies to this topic

#7961 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13473 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:49 AM

not sure how i feel about spending an entire year watching a Rider fight with Guilmons' decapitated head on his shoulder.

Edited by Paladin, 29 July 2020 - 06:50 AM.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#7962 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:31 PM

I had somehow not heard that Marvel had picked up Ultraman. What is the deal with that?! Fascinating.

Yeah, Tsuburaya's REALLY been pushing Ultraman hard in the US lately.  The blu-ray releases, the youtube channel, Ultraman Z airing globally, and now this new comic.  They're really trying to make Ultraman a thing in the US.  I have to hand it to them, they're really making a decent effort. 

As for the comic itself...

Spoiler

Oh, and for Kamen Rider Saber...

Spoiler

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 29 July 2020 - 08:58 PM.

#7963 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23853 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

Are they based on actual Japanese folktales or anything?

If you pause at about 1:03 in the trailer, one of them is clearly Peter Pan.

#7964 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 672 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:20 PM

I noticed one of them is *probably* Jack and the Beanstalk, too.  But, I'm not sure if all of them are or not.

Also...I don't think we've talked about that new Kamen Rider game that's coming out?

It's getting an English version via Play-Asia and the like, too.  

Spoiler

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 29 July 2020 - 09:23 PM.

#7965 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1900 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:22 PM

AS far as Saber stuff:

Spoiler

#7966 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23853 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:02 PM

I don't know if anyone cares, but the duo that performed a lot of Ultraman songs over the years have been uploading videos singing at home.

#7967 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:50 PM

The new episode of Ultraman Z is out.

The tracking shot at the beginning of the big fight (youll know it when you see it) was one of the best two minutes of Kaiju fighting Ive ever seen. This show is pulling out all the stops and I love it.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#7968 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1900 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:53 PM

Any episode of Ultraman that involves a fight against a setting sun is going to be top tier, and this one is no exception.  The "wanderer" callback was great, though I was surprised that

Spoiler

#7969 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:36 AM

Im certain hell be back (as will Zero) given the nature of these Devil Splinters.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#7970 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1900 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:14 PM

Well, that's worrying.... Apparently after a rash of bad comments(primarily from the Indonesian fandom?) in the live chat on the last episode, I'm hearing rumors that Tsuburaya is going to region lock episode 8 and the preview for it to Japan only.  I haven't seen any official statement yet on this, but the episode 8 standalone preview is definitely region-locked, which jibes with what's being spread, and this wasn't done with any previous preview.

#7971 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 29039 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:22 PM

I'm not....sad that Geed and Zero left after what was essentially cameos.  I really feel that the reliance on old characters in what's not an anniversary show hampers your brand new characters.  I know that Zero and Geed will probably be back but I kinda want Z and Haruki to stand on their own two feet as characters, gimmick not withstanding.

Ironbite-also I'm kinda tired of all these other Ultras showing up.  WHERE'S ULTRAMAN?!

xC9l3eY.gif

#7972 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:22 PM

I ran out of Ultraman to watch, until I remembered I had some bootlegs of Mebius and Nexus I picked up from Japantown a few years back. I think I only watched the first few episodes before getting sidetracked by something and I remember some silly subtitles but still lets roll! Ultraman Mebius, GO!

https://imgur.com/gallery/EhpdlyY

Well, that's worrying.... Apparently after a rash of bad comments(primarily from the Indonesian fandom?) in the live chat on the last episode, I'm hearing rumors that Tsuburaya is going to region lock episode 8 and the preview for it to Japan only.  I haven't seen any official statement yet on this, but the episode 8 standalone preview is definitely region-locked, which jibes with what's being spread, and this wasn't done with any previous preview.

I dont think theyll lock the full episode - these are getting bonkers views. They may kill the chat though (since that caused the problem).

ty3jHaa.jpg

#7973 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23853 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:04 PM

I ran out of Ultraman to watch, until I remembered I had some bootlegs of Mebius and Nexus I picked up from Japantown a few years back. I think I only watched the first few episodes before getting sidetracked by something and I remember some silly subtitles but still lets roll! Ultraman Mebius, GO!

Have you watched any of the shows on the Toku streaming service? I've heard they have questionable subtitle quality, but it sounds like that's not an issue for you.

#7974 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:11 PM

Have you watched any of the shows on the Toku streaming service? I've heard they have questionable subtitle quality, but it sounds like that's not an issue for you.

Havent tried it.

I wonder if these have the same sub job as the quality is very questionable. For the most part I can make it out now. The first time I tried when I bought it a couple years ago though I had a lot of trouble because Mebius is super lore heavy and I was very confused. Now that Ive seen most the Showa stuff and am more familiar with the franchise Its easier to fill in the badly translated gaps.

Pretty impressed with the effects level for a kids show from nearly 15 years ago. It couldnt have been cheap.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#7975 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1900 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:39 PM

At the time they made Mebius it looked like the company was going under.  So, the staff decided to go out with a bang and make the very best Ultraman series they could for a final glorious send-off.

There's an article about it here:  https://ultrablogdx....uction-history/

#7976 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11246 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:50 AM

And in a tweet, they stated the region locking of the trailer was a mistake and has been fixed.

#7977 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:08 AM

And in a tweet, they stated the region locking of the trailer was a mistake and has been fixed.

Yay!

At the time they made Mebius it looked like the company was going under.  So, the staff decided to go out with a bang and make the very best Ultraman series they could for a final glorious send-off.

There's an article about it here:  https://ultrablogdx....uction-history/

Its pretty darn good so far, bad sub job aside.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#7978 Dekafox

Dekafox

Foxy Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1900 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 12:23 PM

Nice!  Sounds like it was just people just assuming the worst then(since Tsubu has done that sort of thing in the past with previous series).  Maybe it'll at least scare whomever was screwing around in the chat to not play games with it anymore.

#7979 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11246 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:47 PM

I'd say just disable chat.

#7980 haywire

haywire

Secretly a Gobot in Disguse, don't tell anyone! :)

• Citizen
  • 1200 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:38 PM

There have been a lot of fun camera perspectives in Z so far. I really enjoyed the big battle in this weeks episode!

I think one of the most striking things is how most of the legacy kaiju look like they walked right off the set of a 60s Ultra series, while the modern ones definitely look like more refined designs.

Also, it seems like things are escalating quickly. How many episodes is Z supposed to have?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users