Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM)

It's a good deal if you want a full set of Refraktor (and if they have them at your location)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

Photo
- - - - -

Gundam Discussion: The Wings of A Boy Who Killed Adolescence

Gundam Anime Gunpla

12665 replies to this topic

#12641 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28707 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

So went hunting. Seems, yes, 34.99 IS the UK RRP for Gundam Universe in the UK.

Luckily, being Gundam in the UK means they barely sell. Zavvi selling off first wave for 23.99 each.

They're interesting. The most noticeable feature is they've taken liberties to make the designs more dynamic rather than completely recreated the anime designs. These are akin to art you'd see on one of those Gundam calendars.

Agree with most reviews that RX-78 is the clear winner. Has the best design and range of accessories. Wing is oddly missing a beam saber where both RX and Unicorn have 2. Did the wings honestly eat up the budget?

Agree with Mecha Gaikotsu that articulation is lacking. Bandai obviously wants these thought of like Marvel Legends or similar but those things can pose. These seem designed to mostly be designed to have enough articulation to pull off a free standing pose for display.

Not sure what to suggest. If you like figures roughly size of a Transformers Deluxe these are ok but Bandai already produce so many arguably better Gundam toys.

#12642 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Chariot of the Big Sister

• Citizen
  • 3759 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:33 AM

Something I noticed about every GU RX-78-2 I came across is that there seems to be an odd slant of sorts on the 'brow' of the Gundam's helmet, making it look like it's giving you the People's Eyebrow. :p Is that the case on yours, too?

That oddity aside, there's a part of me that wishes the MSIA line still exists as the 'cheaper' alternative to Robot Damashii. Great size, fairly durable, really wide assortment.

#12643 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7285 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:09 AM

So I'm going to be in Odaiba in a few weeks... is there anything exclusive or particularly interesting in the Gundam store that I should be looking for?Or can I just enjoy the ridiculous sight of that bloody huge dude there? Because man, he is amazing.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#12644 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4608 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:10 AM

So went hunting. Seems, yes, 34.99 IS the UK RRP for Gundam Universe in the UK.

Luckily, being Gundam in the UK means they barely sell. Zavvi selling off first wave for 23.99 each.

They're interesting. The most noticeable feature is they've taken liberties to make the designs more dynamic rather than completely recreated the anime designs. These are akin to art you'd see on one of those Gundam calendars.

Agree with most reviews that RX-78 is the clear winner. Has the best design and range of accessories. Wing is oddly missing a beam saber where both RX and Unicorn have 2. Did the wings honestly eat up the budget?

Agree with Mecha Gaikotsu that articulation is lacking. Bandai obviously wants these thought of like Marvel Legends or similar but those things can pose. These seem designed to mostly be designed to have enough articulation to pull off a free standing pose for display.

Not sure what to suggest. If you like figures roughly size of a Transformers Deluxe these are ok but Bandai already produce so many arguably better Gundam toys.

To me, they are the acknowledgment that a good portion of the world simply does not care about model kits.  Here in the US, model kits are exclusively the realm of hobby shops, and finding Gundam kits is a crapshoot within that realm.  They are "good enough" for the price and, now that Walmart seems to be carrying them, FAR more available than a Gunpla kit.  Yes, a proper Robot Spirits is better (but double the price), as are the model kits (if you can find them), but they are cheaper and don't require assembly (a BIG deal to casual fans).

So, while there are better Gundam toys, GU has managed to hit a cost, accessibility and availability that few recent Gundam products have ever hoped to get in recent years.  I'm hoping this line has at least some of the life the Dragonball Stars line has seemingly been able to get.

That oddity aside, there's a part of me that wishes the MSIA line still exists as the 'cheaper' alternative to Robot Damashii. Great size, fairly durable, really wide assortment.

Yeah, there's so many B and C-tier mobile suits that would be great to see that probably won't see a release in a line that focuses so heavily on main suits (of which, there are a TON). I did see that in Walmart's new (at least new for my crap store) "collector section" that Bandai has been making a line of "basic" Dragonball figures for $10 (compared to $25 for the Stars line), so maybe there's some hope to be had.

#12645 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2697 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

So I assume this'll be easier to follow in movie form?

#12646 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 557 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

Well, we're apparently getting 5 of these G-Reco movies, so...it'll probably be about the same as the TV show?  Might even be a little more fleshed out in places. :p

I can't believe there's a market for 5 G-Reco recap movies.  It seems like serious overkill for a 26-episode show.  Tomino must have something REAL good on an exec over at Sunrise.

#12647 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28150 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

.......G-Reco wasn't even that good.

Ironbite-5 movies what in the hell?

xC9l3eY.gif

#12648 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4608 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

It was hard to follow, but I found myself captivated by the series.  The fact it had gorgeous art design and wasn't a mopey drama-fest (or filled with excessive fan service) made for something a bit refreshing from recent shows.  It definitely felt like something from another era, which I found interesting and refreshing.

That said, I'm not sure it was a series really worth a film compilation, much less FIVE films worth of content.  Maybe Tomino is exerting some influence, maybe G-Reco DID become something of a cult hit in Japan.  Maybe Bandai is pushing this as a means to recoup cost on the series and push sales on the kits?

I don't know, but I at least hope that these will get dubbed like Sunrise has been pushing to do with its more recent projects.

#12649 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4733 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:18 AM

https://www.gundamki...-repair-iv.html
https://www.gundamki...repair-iii.html
https://www.gundamki...ke-project.html

https://twitter.com/...339876716429312

Edited by HomelessOne, 25 October 2019 - 03:24 AM.

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#12650 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28707 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:45 AM

Really sad to see basically nothing for Gundam at comic con. Gundam Mad, who work with an official French licensor, had their usual massive stall but Bandai? A massive stand for DBZ (Kakarot, first ep of Super on loop, toys) and a separate stand where the only Gundam was a Knight Gundam Banpresto toy, lost amongst Thunderbirds and 3rd party stuff.

Seems what US gets for Gundam, we get for DBZ. Even those V fin crowns they handed out at US cons were replicated with ones for SSGSS hair.

#12651 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 28150 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

Sucks.

As for the new anime that just debuted, 4 episodes in and I'm already wanting two of the characters to just leave the universe.  Completely.  Also I'm already calling Captain Zeon as a total dick.

Ironbite-and who's dickishness reveal will shatter the heart of Kazami completely.

xC9l3eY.gif

#12652 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28707 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:59 AM

I'm finding it kinda flat. Like it's cute there are meta jokes about what Gundam fans will complain about but right now this is a very bland isekai with the Gundam name slapped on.

Especially painful is it's obvious the villagers are genuine sentient AI but we're plodding through the cast being unaware of this yet oddly protective of them.

#12653 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4608 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

and I'm already wanting two of the characters to just leave the universe. 

The fact you can call them "characters" is a TREMENDOUS improvement over the last two Build series.

It's not amazing, but it is generally solid enough that I'm engaged enough to keep watching and not hate myself for it.  Some of its "undertones" are obvious, but at least it looks like the crew seems to be having some fun and seemingly putting in some effort into this project.  And within the universe of the series, it's nice to see characters that aren't "the special" in the way the last one had it be "the Riku show".

As is, I think Hiroto is an interesting protagonist BECAUSE he's a failed Riku.  And I think that drive and arc (while totally predictable to its end point) is a LOT more interesting that any of the protagonists motivation in any series since the first.

#12654 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28707 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

Bit of post con awkwardness.

I finally found someone selling the new SD line, picked out five of them and paid.

Didn't properly go through the bag until last night....they've given me 2 of the Nu Gundam. Was able to contact their site and luckily they're willing to send me the one I actually wanted but having to prove a few things since it was a con purchase.

#12655 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4733 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:28 AM

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#12656 Wildwade

Wildwade

• Citizen
  • 2697 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

Heh, I was wondering how many of Jona's moves involved Rita coming out to help him.

Jagd Arche looks sweet.  Makes me sad Ali never got to use it in the actual series.  Always found that last fight of his with Lyle to be a bit lackluster.

#12657 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4733 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:29 PM

Jagd does get a decent MSV excuse in that it is poorly suited for combat against small, elite enemy units like Celestial Being. Lyle vs Ali was definitely terrible though; a one-sided beating until runtime decreed it was time for Celestial Being to win, and then Lyle gets to have his moral cake and eat it too in the aftermath. Possibly the least satisfying and most annoying part of 00 s2's endgame.

https://www.gundamki...lease-info.html
https://www.gundamki...weapon-set.html
https://www.gundamki...knight-ver.html

#12658 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28707 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:10 AM

Oh great, you got her started on her hate for 00 S2. We could be at this for months!

#12659 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5421 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

I enjoyed Lyle v Sachez.  In the end it wasn't some spectacular MS explosion that ended the terrorist... it was a simple slug to the head.

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

#12660 Wildwade

Wildwade

• Citizen
  • 2697 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

I feel like both Setsuna and Tieria had more of a claim on ending Ali than Lyle did.

And it was just generally a boring and poorly-executed fight.  They both spend all their remote weapons immediately and then Ali is somehow held at bay in close-quarters by a mobile suit dedicated to long-range attacks.

(I guess I could go on about 00 S2 too.  I mean, I think it's acceptable, but it does have its problems.)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gundam, Anime, Gunpla

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users