Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

You'll shoot yer eye out, kid.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I shot the sheriff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:24 PM)

han wasn't even in the movie until later

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:23 PM)

the stormtroopers shot first

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Maclunkey

@  Paladin : (14 July 2020 - 06:18 AM)

the correct answwer to "who shot first" will always be "Harrison Ford if he ever hears that hugging question again."

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 July 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Han shot first. Plain and simple.

@  -LittleAutob... : (13 July 2020 - 06:21 PM)

\(-_-)

@  Bass X0 : (13 July 2020 - 05:26 PM)

"Here's a little---whatever. A little thing. A disclosure. An insight. Revisionism---I've always been fascinated by it. By the idea of a writer going back and altering things. Make no mistake: an edit is a profoundly aggressive act. As Froid once said, we grieve for the murdered word. If you want to get the measure of an author, don't look at what they've left on the page.... look at what they've taken away." -- Rung (MTMTE #28)

@  Verno : (11 July 2020 - 11:20 PM)

2021: :idea :rolleyes :p :D

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

Photo
- - - - -

Gundam Discussion: The Wings of A Boy Who Killed Adolescence

Gundam Anime Gunpla

12833 replies to this topic

#12641 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29181 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

So went hunting. Seems, yes, 34.99 IS the UK RRP for Gundam Universe in the UK.

Luckily, being Gundam in the UK means they barely sell. Zavvi selling off first wave for 23.99 each.

They're interesting. The most noticeable feature is they've taken liberties to make the designs more dynamic rather than completely recreated the anime designs. These are akin to art you'd see on one of those Gundam calendars.

Agree with most reviews that RX-78 is the clear winner. Has the best design and range of accessories. Wing is oddly missing a beam saber where both RX and Unicorn have 2. Did the wings honestly eat up the budget?

Agree with Mecha Gaikotsu that articulation is lacking. Bandai obviously wants these thought of like Marvel Legends or similar but those things can pose. These seem designed to mostly be designed to have enough articulation to pull off a free standing pose for display.

Not sure what to suggest. If you like figures roughly size of a Transformers Deluxe these are ok but Bandai already produce so many arguably better Gundam toys.

#12642 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Not a model, perhaps

• Citizen
  • 3963 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:33 AM

Something I noticed about every GU RX-78-2 I came across is that there seems to be an odd slant of sorts on the 'brow' of the Gundam's helmet, making it look like it's giving you the People's Eyebrow. :p Is that the case on yours, too?

That oddity aside, there's a part of me that wishes the MSIA line still exists as the 'cheaper' alternative to Robot Damashii. Great size, fairly durable, really wide assortment.

#12643 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7630 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:09 AM

So I'm going to be in Odaiba in a few weeks... is there anything exclusive or particularly interesting in the Gundam store that I should be looking for?Or can I just enjoy the ridiculous sight of that bloody huge dude there? Because man, he is amazing.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#12644 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4924 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:10 AM

So went hunting. Seems, yes, 34.99 IS the UK RRP for Gundam Universe in the UK.

Luckily, being Gundam in the UK means they barely sell. Zavvi selling off first wave for 23.99 each.

They're interesting. The most noticeable feature is they've taken liberties to make the designs more dynamic rather than completely recreated the anime designs. These are akin to art you'd see on one of those Gundam calendars.

Agree with most reviews that RX-78 is the clear winner. Has the best design and range of accessories. Wing is oddly missing a beam saber where both RX and Unicorn have 2. Did the wings honestly eat up the budget?

Agree with Mecha Gaikotsu that articulation is lacking. Bandai obviously wants these thought of like Marvel Legends or similar but those things can pose. These seem designed to mostly be designed to have enough articulation to pull off a free standing pose for display.

Not sure what to suggest. If you like figures roughly size of a Transformers Deluxe these are ok but Bandai already produce so many arguably better Gundam toys.

To me, they are the acknowledgment that a good portion of the world simply does not care about model kits.  Here in the US, model kits are exclusively the realm of hobby shops, and finding Gundam kits is a crapshoot within that realm.  They are "good enough" for the price and, now that Walmart seems to be carrying them, FAR more available than a Gunpla kit.  Yes, a proper Robot Spirits is better (but double the price), as are the model kits (if you can find them), but they are cheaper and don't require assembly (a BIG deal to casual fans).

So, while there are better Gundam toys, GU has managed to hit a cost, accessibility and availability that few recent Gundam products have ever hoped to get in recent years.  I'm hoping this line has at least some of the life the Dragonball Stars line has seemingly been able to get.

That oddity aside, there's a part of me that wishes the MSIA line still exists as the 'cheaper' alternative to Robot Damashii. Great size, fairly durable, really wide assortment.

Yeah, there's so many B and C-tier mobile suits that would be great to see that probably won't see a release in a line that focuses so heavily on main suits (of which, there are a TON). I did see that in Walmart's new (at least new for my crap store) "collector section" that Bandai has been making a line of "basic" Dragonball figures for $10 (compared to $25 for the Stars line), so maybe there's some hope to be had.

#12645 Wildwade

Wildwade

No, no. Finish sounding dumb, I'll wait.

• Citizen
  • 2768 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

So I assume this'll be easier to follow in movie form?

#12646 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 02:29 PM

Well, we're apparently getting 5 of these G-Reco movies, so...it'll probably be about the same as the TV show?  Might even be a little more fleshed out in places. :p

I can't believe there's a market for 5 G-Reco recap movies.  It seems like serious overkill for a 26-episode show.  Tomino must have something REAL good on an exec over at Sunrise.

#12647 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 28961 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 24 October 2019 - 04:17 PM

.......G-Reco wasn't even that good.

Ironbite-5 movies what in the hell?

xC9l3eY.gif

#12648 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4924 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

It was hard to follow, but I found myself captivated by the series.  The fact it had gorgeous art design and wasn't a mopey drama-fest (or filled with excessive fan service) made for something a bit refreshing from recent shows.  It definitely felt like something from another era, which I found interesting and refreshing.

That said, I'm not sure it was a series really worth a film compilation, much less FIVE films worth of content.  Maybe Tomino is exerting some influence, maybe G-Reco DID become something of a cult hit in Japan.  Maybe Bandai is pushing this as a means to recoup cost on the series and push sales on the kits?

I don't know, but I at least hope that these will get dubbed like Sunrise has been pushing to do with its more recent projects.

#12649 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4804 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 October 2019 - 02:18 AM

https://www.gundamki...-repair-iv.html
https://www.gundamki...repair-iii.html
https://www.gundamki...ke-project.html

https://twitter.com/...339876716429312

Edited by HomelessOne, 25 October 2019 - 03:24 AM.

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#12650 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29181 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 12:45 AM

Really sad to see basically nothing for Gundam at comic con. Gundam Mad, who work with an official French licensor, had their usual massive stall but Bandai? A massive stand for DBZ (Kakarot, first ep of Super on loop, toys) and a separate stand where the only Gundam was a Knight Gundam Banpresto toy, lost amongst Thunderbirds and 3rd party stuff.

Seems what US gets for Gundam, we get for DBZ. Even those V fin crowns they handed out at US cons were replicated with ones for SSGSS hair.

#12651 Ironbite

Ironbite

REJOICE! THE KING OF TIME HAS ARRIVED!

• Supporter
  • 28961 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

Sucks.

As for the new anime that just debuted, 4 episodes in and I'm already wanting two of the characters to just leave the universe.  Completely.  Also I'm already calling Captain Zeon as a total dick.

Ironbite-and who's dickishness reveal will shatter the heart of Kazami completely.

xC9l3eY.gif

#12652 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29181 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:59 AM

I'm finding it kinda flat. Like it's cute there are meta jokes about what Gundam fans will complain about but right now this is a very bland isekai with the Gundam name slapped on.

Especially painful is it's obvious the villagers are genuine sentient AI but we're plodding through the cast being unaware of this yet oddly protective of them.

#12653 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4924 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

and I'm already wanting two of the characters to just leave the universe. 

The fact you can call them "characters" is a TREMENDOUS improvement over the last two Build series.

It's not amazing, but it is generally solid enough that I'm engaged enough to keep watching and not hate myself for it.  Some of its "undertones" are obvious, but at least it looks like the crew seems to be having some fun and seemingly putting in some effort into this project.  And within the universe of the series, it's nice to see characters that aren't "the special" in the way the last one had it be "the Riku show".

As is, I think Hiroto is an interesting protagonist BECAUSE he's a failed Riku.  And I think that drive and arc (while totally predictable to its end point) is a LOT more interesting that any of the protagonists motivation in any series since the first.

#12654 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29181 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

Bit of post con awkwardness.

I finally found someone selling the new SD line, picked out five of them and paid.

Didn't properly go through the bag until last night....they've given me 2 of the Nu Gundam. Was able to contact their site and luckily they're willing to send me the one I actually wanted but having to prove a few things since it was a con purchase.

#12655 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4804 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:28 AM

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#12656 Wildwade

Wildwade

• Citizen
  • 2768 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 10:54 AM

Heh, I was wondering how many of Jona's moves involved Rita coming out to help him.

Jagd Arche looks sweet.  Makes me sad Ali never got to use it in the actual series.  Always found that last fight of his with Lyle to be a bit lackluster.

#12657 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4804 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:29 PM

Jagd does get a decent MSV excuse in that it is poorly suited for combat against small, elite enemy units like Celestial Being. Lyle vs Ali was definitely terrible though; a one-sided beating until runtime decreed it was time for Celestial Being to win, and then Lyle gets to have his moral cake and eat it too in the aftermath. Possibly the least satisfying and most annoying part of 00 s2's endgame.

https://www.gundamki...lease-info.html
https://www.gundamki...weapon-set.html
https://www.gundamki...knight-ver.html

#12658 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29181 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:10 AM

Oh great, you got her started on her hate for 00 S2. We could be at this for months!

#12659 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5474 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 09:08 AM

I enjoyed Lyle v Sachez.  In the end it wasn't some spectacular MS explosion that ended the terrorist... it was a simple slug to the head.

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

#12660 Wildwade

Wildwade

• Citizen
  • 2768 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

I feel like both Setsuna and Tieria had more of a claim on ending Ali than Lyle did.

And it was just generally a boring and poorly-executed fight.  They both spend all their remote weapons immediately and then Ali is somehow held at bay in close-quarters by a mobile suit dedicated to long-range attacks.

(I guess I could go on about 00 S2 too.  I mean, I think it's acceptable, but it does have its problems.)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gundam, Anime, Gunpla

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users