Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:21 AM)

Well great. The one Usagi Yojimbo volume I don't have and it's out of stock.

@  Rycochet : (17 January 2020 - 06:15 PM)

I both love and hate that the Alien franchise seems to have had more luck finding a niche as a line of children's toys than it has at producing worthwhile films.

@  Donocropolis : (17 January 2020 - 06:35 AM)

I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart. They're pretty great looking retro Aliens toys. https://www.walmart....-Vary/934039489

@  fourteenwings : (17 January 2020 - 01:11 AM)

IIRC somebody on here mentioned an unbranded Alien toy a couple of weeks ago? It seems like it was actually part of a collection for the Alien movie series by Lanard. Mattel's making some stuff too.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 January 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Is it really a worse name than say, HMS Spanker?

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 January 2020 - 02:36 PM)

'Boaty McBoatface' was a actual thing?! Wow.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2020 - 02:00 PM)

Might be worth bringing back this thread.

@  ThunderWear : (14 January 2020 - 01:53 PM)

Of course I had the idea to download all the pdfs like a week too late. Anyone got an archive?

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 January 2020 - 12:48 PM)

The Collector Club is dead. Seems like it all came down shortly after New Year

@  ThunderWear : (13 January 2020 - 11:06 PM)

I can't get to the collector club website. anyone else? I was literally going to download all the fiction to finish reading.

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 January 2020 - 04:50 AM)

News today is all 'there's a CHANCE it would snow in July' and 'dogs COULD bite back'.

@  Benbot : (12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM)

Holy crap, do many people get hurt by them?

@  wonko the sane? : (12 January 2020 - 02:11 PM)

Even in fallout, they never carpet bombed with nukes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 January 2020 - 12:43 PM)

I hope the stockpiled nuclear weapons of the US and Russia are accounted for then.

@  Nevermore : (12 January 2020 - 12:22 PM)

Geez. 1760 (!) bombs from World War II that had not detonated and were still armed have been found. That's only the numbers for the federal state of Germany I live in, and only for the first three quarters of 2019. For all of 2018, the total number was 2811 (!!) bombs.

@  CVReynolds : (11 January 2020 - 11:05 PM)

I've been wanting a Tarantulas that turns into a more realistic tarantula for a long time. Maybe Takara will someday do a Masterpiece, which would be neat. But I really want to see a modernized look like in the IDW comics.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 January 2020 - 09:43 PM)

We need more Waspinators.. and rattraps.

@  Ashley : (11 January 2020 - 07:09 PM)

I'm on board with that

@  Dekafox : (11 January 2020 - 06:17 PM)

What I'm hearing is we need Cyberverse Waspinator

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 January 2020 - 01:27 AM)

He's appeared across more branding changes than Waspinator, so maybe it's more the other way around.

@  Ashley : (10 January 2020 - 12:01 AM)

is C3PO the Waspinator of Star Wars? he'll live forever, because it's funny for him to suffer

@  Sabrblade : (09 January 2020 - 11:52 PM)

He's still waiting for them to be funny.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 January 2020 - 10:35 PM)

Why?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 04:02 PM)

I've been watching South Park, Family Guy and The Simpsons with a straight face for a decade now.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

If that's what it takes to get you to take the medication, sure.

@  Bass X0 : (09 January 2020 - 01:52 PM)

If I go crazy, will you still call me Superman?

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 11:37 AM)

I mean, it is easier to protect HDDs, and you can retransfer the data over and over forever?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (09 January 2020 - 10:45 AM)

Not in this comparison. He's making his own files, so they're (presumably) not restricted by DRM, so he can copy them as many times as he wants. It's potentially more reliable in the long term than hoping the specific copies you originally bought never accrue any damage for the rest of your life.

@  Echowarrior : (09 January 2020 - 10:44 AM)

I prefer physical copies too. Easier to protect something physical and tangible.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 09:55 AM)

I prefer having physical copies.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 January 2020 - 08:56 AM)

I have plenty of physical media I turn into digital media for my plex server. Just finished ripping Ultra Seven

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Isn't the general consensus that we're supposed to be over physical media anyways?

@  Paladin : (09 January 2020 - 08:17 AM)

i still don't own a Blu-Ray player.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 January 2020 - 07:35 AM)

My current TV works just fine. I don't see a need to upgrade. And by the time I do, the Next Big Thing will probably be out anyway.

@  Benbot : (09 January 2020 - 03:58 AM)

Me neither. I'm no rebel, though. I'm just poor.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 03:38 AM)

I haven't gone 4K yet, I'm a rebel.

@  Ashley : (07 January 2020 - 11:50 PM)

the comic theme is amazing

@  Bass X0 : (07 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Sounds like Victor Caroli but I’m not sure.

@  Bass X0 : (07 January 2020 - 02:35 PM)

Should I recognise the narrator of the Mutant Hunt trailer?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 January 2020 - 04:30 AM)

I got me Titans Return Blaster, now watch them unveil Earthrise Blaster and Generations Perceptor, a retool of Titans Blaster.

@  ThunderWear : (06 January 2020 - 10:22 PM)

I recently switched to to the comic theme here at the Allspark and I'm so happy I just want to look at it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (06 January 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Can you not take so many lines to say anything?

@  fourteenwings : (06 January 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Iunno, maybe people having unique pronunciations of things re:how they understand language makes the world a more colourful place, rather than one where we correct every seemingly grievous error?

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:12 AM)

Others insist on "Michael Yackson".

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:01 AM)

Because the very combination of those sounds is unknown to them, and thus they avoid it as if it were contagious.

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:00 AM)

For example, the English "J" sound consists of sounds that exist in German: Basically, it's just a "d" sound followed by a very soft "sh". Yet there are many Germans who insist on calling the late King of Pop "Michael Checkson".

Photo
- - - - -

Gundam Discussion: The Wings of A Boy Who Killed Adolescence

Gundam Anime Gunpla

12717 replies to this topic

#12461 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3053 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:40 AM

This is probably why I don't Gundam: looking at that stack, the ones jumping out at me are the lady with the round shields on her shoulders, and that gray Guntank looking guy that looks more like an Armored Core. X]

It looks like a Guntank for the very logical reason that it is a Guntank.

As much as I appreciate the usual parade of GMs and monoeyes, I'd like more designs like it and the Origins Mobile Worker. You know, more of a grounded, clunky look than the humanoid proportions of even the first Zakus.

#12462 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4756 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 13 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

Not exactly what you're looking for, but you may want to give VOTOMS a look. The Armored Troopers have a generally humanoid appearance, but they're much clunkier in action and far more disposable than Mobile Suits. Chirico goes through a good dozen or so machines over the course of just the original anime, and really only gets a "custom" in the final act.

Meanwhile, P-Bandai is going into AoZ overdrive for some reason:

https://www.gundamki...9a-g-parts.html

https://www.gundamki...g-parts_12.html

https://www.gundamki...-hazel-and.html

https://www.gundamki...custom-and.html

https://www.gundamki...undam-tr-6.html

https://www.gundamki...-rahs-full.html

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~Coco Chanel

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#12463 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3053 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

Not exactly what you're looking for, but you may want to give VOTOMS a look. The Armored Troopers have a generally humanoid appearance, but they're much clunkier in action and far more disposable than Mobile Suits. Chirico goes through a good dozen or so machines over the course of just the original anime, and really only gets a "custom" in the final act.

Meanwhile, P-Bandai is going into AoZ overdrive for some reason:

https://www.gundamki...9a-g-parts.html

https://www.gundamki...g-parts_12.html

https://www.gundamki...-hazel-and.html

https://www.gundamki...custom-and.html

https://www.gundamki...undam-tr-6.html

https://www.gundamki...-rahs-full.html

I know about VOTOMs, but I was thinking more for kits than for shows. 

Scopedogs are basically humanoid anyway. They're cool, but they don't move things that far away from the standard Gundam variations, not to the degree of a lot of the more oddball Turn A designs, even.

#12464 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4756 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

https://www.gundamki...lex-ver-20.html

https://www.gundamki...-announced.html

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

#12465 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7347 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:14 AM

I have been trying to figure out if there's a technique for panel lining that I'm competent and coordinated enough to... not make a huge ugly hugging mess with. I thought I was witnessing actual witchcraft when I saw a video of a dude using Tamiya Panel Line Accent, but no - that shit is real?! I'm incredibly happy with the little testing I've done so far. It does take a fair bit of cleanup, but the absolute magic of the paint travelling through the panel lines like it's bloody alive is just genuinely amazing.

Am I looking at a 100% chance that it will eat right through my plastic? :)

WsuGTl1.jpg

#12466 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4656 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

Tamashii Nations is at Toy Fair, and they got a couple of new reveals!

The 3rd wave of Gundam Universe was shown, featuring the Strike Gundam, Sandrock (ANOTHER Wing entry!) and the Ez8 from 08th MS Team.

#12467 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

Chariot of the Big Sister

• Citizen
  • 3803 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:00 AM

They sure are going all-in on Gundam Universe, huh? Three revealed waves right out of the gate.

#12468 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4656 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:30 PM

They sure are going all-in on Gundam Universe, huh? Three revealed waves right out of the gate.

I still get the feeling that this is part of a bigger play to establish a stronger presence for Gundam in the west.  The kits do...okay here, but that really isn't something many collectors gravitate to.  Not to mention that the kit selection is varied and maybe doesn't play to the series that average Western fans may prefer.

Again, the first 3 waves are VERY western centric in character selection, which supports my supposition.  Heck, we're due for a new dub for SEED, which supports the release of the Strike in wave 3 since it should be hitting about the time the series starts to air on Toonami.

Also, here's a look at a mock up of the packaging from Gundam Planet, who attended Toy Fair:

https://scontent-dfw...99e&oe=5CE9DE94

#12469 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

• Citizen
  • 3803 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:57 PM

I still get the feeling that this is part of a bigger play to establish a stronger presence for Gundam in the west.  The kits do...okay here, but that really isn't something many collectors gravitate to.  Not to mention that the kit selection is varied and maybe doesn't play to the series that average Western fans may prefer.

Again, the first 3 waves are VERY western centric in character selection, which supports my supposition.  Heck, we're due for a new dub for SEED, which supports the release of the Strike in wave 3 since it should be hitting about the time the series starts to air on Toonami.

Also, here's a look at a mock up of the packaging from Gundam Planet, who attended Toy Fair:

The package design is definitely very 'collector's 6-inch' in looks and shape. I do wonder how they'll fit some of the larger backpacks though, like the Aile Striker Pack.

#12470 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9249 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:08 AM

Watched NT tonight with my brother. Not bad, Kinda felt much more digestible than most of the UC I've seen despite being later in the timeline.

One question though.

Spoiler

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#12471 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

• Citizen
  • 3803 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:01 AM

The package design is definitely very 'collector's 6-inch' in looks and shape. I do wonder how they'll fit some of the larger backpacks though, like the Aile Striker Pack.

The renewed attempt to appeal to the western audience may as well be official given this article. They name-drop MSiA, specifically citing being able to just pull them out of the box and start playing with them, and there's a big emphasis on the Universe figures being durable and 'stress-free'.

The RX-78-2 and Unicorn both look like they come with a decent number of accessories - on par with your typical Marvel Legends figure. They didn't have a good shot of the Wing's inner tray when they took it out in the video, though.

#12472 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28842 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:27 AM

Built HGAC Leo. Did the Divers version last year but haven't painted it yet.

It's interesting we're getting all these grunt suits with customisation in mind. Seems to have started with the surprise success of the Grimoire. Bandai wanted it to be the High Mock but fans never took to that. Since then we've had a bunch of HG grunts as custom fodder.

#12473 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11429 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

Grunt suits have always had the more interesting designs, IMHO. They don't all have to look "iconic."

Plus (for those who care about in-universe canon) it's easier to imagine someone souping up a surplus mass-production machine versus being able to tinker with a one-of-a-kind prototype in their garage.

#12474 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4756 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 12:32 PM

RE/100 Zaku II Kai

RE/100 Vigna Ghina II

RG Crossbone X-1 details

lol

#12475 Autobot Bubbs

Autobot Bubbs

Professional procrastinator

• Citizen
  • 5432 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:23 PM

Aren't the reborn 100's not QUITE as good as master grades?

spoilers are a stabbing weight upon my soul.... crushing it into a dark existential nothingness

#12476 chiasaur11

chiasaur11
  • Citizen
  • 3053 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:26 AM

Aren't the reborn 100's not QUITE as good as master grades?

Not really.

There's a pretty notable gap. Reborns have no inner frame, often have less detail, are more likely to have trouble with joint stability, that kind of thing. Basically, they're just bigger HGs, where MGs are more their own thing.

#12477 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28842 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 07:02 AM

So the second Zeromaru manual confirms at least the concept of Ayame using an F91 previously is canon. Even says near exact "Maybe if everyone wishes hard enough, someday she'll tell that story herself."

Bandai know they bet on the cat girl when they should have bet on the ninja.

#12478 HomelessOne

HomelessOne

Veda Terminal

• Citizen
  • 4756 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:04 PM

#12479 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28842 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:09 AM

Uni tutors got me into the habit of using car body paint for colours standard brands of spray paint don't cover. Been trying for a while now to find a match for the green Zakus and Zaku proxies use and tested it on the Leo.

Think it's a good match but sadly Halfords paint reacts poorly with enamel primer. The first coat always congeals, meaning I have to sand it down and start over. This is the third coat which reveals the other problem. If you're conservative with it it results in a patchy, powdery finish that is satin in some parts. Apply it a little more heavily and you end up with a too thick glossy finish, even if you aren't drowning the pieces.

Gonna have to try some other techniques to remove that sheen.
e6NfPPF.jpg

#12480 Demovere Xeno

Demovere Xeno

• Citizen
  • 3803 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 11:35 PM

SDCS Silhouette Booster

I'm a bit annoyed by this add-on. Yes, it has parts to convert an RX-78-2 into a GM... but that means in order to make a GM you'll need to buy this, the RX-78-2, and the CS Frame. :wtf Even then you'll have leftover Gundam parts and you'll have to paint most of the GM's upper torso parts to make it color-accurate. :doh

Also, have you guys seen this upcoming line from Bandai called 30 Minutes Missions? Generic non-Gundam-franchise mech designs that are designed to be wholly modular. They're even releasing the initial kits in different colors for out-of-the-box customization. The sales blurbs mention them being 1/144 too, so it would be even cooler if they're compatible with HG Gundam parts. :)

Edited by Demovere Xeno, 27 February 2019 - 11:40 PM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gundam, Anime, Gunpla

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users