Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 07:43 PM)

@Fenix Twilight Sure. Just not a good one.

@  Fenix Twilight : (25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM)

@Sukoshiko Well his clothes left an impression on you didn't they?

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 October 2020 - 06:09 AM)

I just read "Tesla Cybertruck" like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", now it won't get out of my head, so I inflict it on all of you as well.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Tesla Cybertruck: amazing or just silly looking? I can't decide.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:24 AM)

Weird question: I had to deal with a guy today... I'm not exactly up on modern fashions... or even archaic fashions... But this guy... Tuxedo Jacket and shirt, studs in all the button holes except the bottom one, blue jeans, and cowboy boots... Take a moment to imagine that get up. And this was to a business meeting, trying to impress someone. What look is that? Who on earth would dress that way? (I mean on purpose)

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:04 PM)

I think the few up here were lost to bad placement, poor weather, and the usual language trap.

@  TM2-Megatron : (24 October 2020 - 04:25 PM)

There are 5 spread around southwestern Ontario, all run by the same company. I've only been to the one in my area, but it seems to do good business even in non-pandemic times. On long weekends, when they do triple features, there's a normally a lineup to get in Friday and Saturday nights

@  Telly : (24 October 2020 - 01:51 PM)

there been one outside of my town for as long as ive been alive at least. its gone through its share of owners and periods of being closed down, but its been open for the past decade at least

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 07:17 AM)

I feel the '80s music would be jarring when running over current-day CGI instead of well, '80s visuals.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 05:39 AM)

Not a remake, reanimated scene for scene, like that fan vid titled they were always real to me.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 October 2020 - 04:37 AM)

Because we need more remakes these days.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:36 AM)

Be a hoot if these Studio Series 86 toys led to Transformers The Move Reanimated like Pokemon Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution.

@  Paladin : (20 October 2020 - 05:15 PM)

only takes three pounds to be a cereal killer.

@  Kalidor : (20 October 2020 - 04:54 PM)

5 pounds is a lot of cereal! /deadpan

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 October 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Seems the area near my work place is due to be gentrified. Electric car ports, fifty pound haircuts and five pound bowls of cereal in breakfast cafes I'll bet.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 11:31 PM)

@ZakuConvoy Lumines Electric Symphony. So still halfway interesting, and it’ll play on the PS TV

@  Demovere Xeno : (19 October 2020 - 10:36 PM)

@Maximus: I paired the Battle Patrol with Ironworks and they look good together, though the Off Road Patrol would probably fit best as vehicles you're likely to find at a construction site.

@  ZakuConvoy : (19 October 2020 - 09:39 PM)

So...was it something like Tearaway or Gravity Rush or was it just a FIFA or a Madden?

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 08:26 PM)

Sounds like they need to clean more often.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 06:51 PM)

From the depths of Walmart's backroom comes...a Playstation Vita game in 2020?

@  Telly : (19 October 2020 - 02:20 PM)

and my bow

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:49 AM)

<GIMLI> And my axe! </GIMLI>

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:47 AM)

He's got my vote!

Photo
- - - - -

Gundam Discussion: The Wings of A Boy Who Killed Adolescence

Gundam Anime Gunpla

12871 replies to this topic

#21 Weremole

Weremole

Ah, what the heck. What is in a name?

• Citizen
  • 5852 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 5 2011, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they know it all, what's the point of hiring creative teams to make the shows? Some ideas only develop once the episode is in the can. I highly doubt every single idea for AGE is set in stone right now.

The show was first planned as a video game but Bandai/Sunrise liked it so much that they did it as a proper show. The whole AGE Systems very existence is so Level 5 wouldn't have to add more than one Gundam to the show.

Since Bandai, much like Hasbro would want to have lead time with producing toys to match the airing of the show they would want to have an idea what to expect. Bandai is also evil. They can very well get people to buy variations on the same design with newer features and accessories.

So in the end they probably win anyway.

Buy yeah. I could imagine waiting a few months until the power and speed variation limbs appeared and made a variable MG. Buying the same expensive items with new limbs feels a bit...

#22 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

Really like Desil.
Emily annoys the hell out of me.

#23 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

Well now, I think this is the first Gundam series where instead of jacking his Gundam from someone else, the hero's Gundam gets jacked instead. icon-waspy.gif
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#24 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19492 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

Well, there was that punk kid who tried to jack the Shining Gundam from Domon. Ended badly for him, though.

#25 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Nov 6 2011, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, there was that punk kid who tried to jack the Shining Gundam from Domon. Ended badly for him, though.

Well yeah.

Decil is a fun character so far, and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#26 Mugen no Ken

Mugen no Ken

ROCKET DRILL SPACE KIIIIIIICK!

• Citizen
  • 1477 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

So I'm pretty much guessing at this point that HIGHLIGHT to view:
Yurin, Decil, and Flit himself are all tied to the UE. In fact, much like the Innovators, they all have ... VERY brightly colored hair, don't they? Each one kind of sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the rest of the cast.

Decil's interesting, more interesting than I expected for a character his age. Given just HOW young he is, though, I kind of wonder if that isn't setting him up to be even more significant in the second act or so of the show.

I am loving Grodek, just all around. This has all gotta come back and bite him in the butt at some point, but for now he's really impressing me.

I think Emily's reactions are entirely understandable, given she's a young girl herself and merely concerned with Flit not dying a horrible, burning death. Especially given that he's sort of been just scraping by so far, up to the point he even got HIGHLIGHT to view:
Gundamjacked this week.
*Twitter
*City of Heroes Global Name: @MugenNoKen
*AIM Username: Infinity Greymon
*Xbox Live Gamertag: kenkabanchou

#27 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19492 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:18 AM

Should we maybe have a separate thread for AGE discussion, like we had going for 00?

Eventually, somebody's going to slip up and post something that nobody wanted to see. I'm doing my best to skim past AGE discussion myself, but I'm a fast reader...

#28 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:26 AM

It's spoiler-tagged though.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#29 1stStageMidboss

1stStageMidboss
  • Citizen
  • 3276 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:08 AM

I'm sure we'll be fine with spoiler-tagging discussion of the latest AGE episode; the toku thread does this with several shows and doesn't end up accidentally spoiling things.
Twitter       Tumblr
Steam: Midboss
PSN: AWindfall

#30 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 12182 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:22 AM

I was under the impression that Gundams tended to get stolen by other members of the crew at least once in any given series. It pretty much always ends badly- presuming they can get it out of the door it ends up getting trashed by Enemy of the Week.

#31 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29349 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(Weremole @ Nov 6 2011, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 5 2011, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they know it all, what's the point of hiring creative teams to make the shows? Some ideas only develop once the episode is in the can. I highly doubt every single idea for AGE is set in stone right now.

The show was first planned as a video game but Bandai/Sunrise liked it so much that they did it as a proper show. The whole AGE Systems very existence is so Level 5 wouldn't have to add more than one Gundam to the show.

Since Bandai, much like Hasbro would want to have lead time with producing toys to match the airing of the show they would want to have an idea what to expect. Bandai is also evil. They can very well get people to buy variations on the same design with newer features and accessories.

So in the end they probably win anyway.

Buy yeah. I could imagine waiting a few months until the power and speed variation limbs appeared and made a variable MG. Buying the same expensive items with new limbs feels a bit...

I'm aware of all that. However, we know fully well that things can change between even initial announcements mid-run. Perfect example- Anew in 00 was announced with character art which made her look shifty, since she was going to openly be a spy competing with Lyle. Then the sponsors insisted on a doomed romance plot, so this got shifted into her being an unwitting pawn for Ribbons. Even more importantly for mecha, things can change based on viewer response. Buster ain't selling? Let's stick Dearka on Archangel.

Whilst a vast majority of AGE concept is likely already pencilled in, there are always things that will change and new fun ideas that will only be hit upon whilst getting close to that episode. To give a direct example- which would you rather have? The clunky 1994 Master Gundam with barely any articulation or gimmicks or the 2011 HG with the cloak, Foonie and even a cloth wielding Master Asia? That's the kind of iconic nature I'd expect to see. Sometimes you need some breathing room to truley grasp what are the strengths of something.

#32 Weremole

Weremole

Ah, what the heck. What is in a name?

• Citizen
  • 5852 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

To all honesty the closest I have ever been to a Gundam toy has been holding a standard Seed kit packaging a few years ago at a fair.

But I completely understand what you are talking about. Even I think its weird to pump out high priced collectors goods when the show is barely five episodes out the gate and the two upgrade variants hasn't even been featured beyond the toyline.

Even on a corporate trixter level that is a bit unsure since it will more than not seem like bulljive in hindsight. The "revive of original" or whatever that silly tagline was just reeks of it. Trying to sell your premium brand item based on your new IP with how close it is to the original just seems silly to me. It's not like hobby shelves will be out of original series Gundams any time soon.

Edited by Weremole, 07 November 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#33 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

I still don't feel I have enough MG's from 00.

I really think they should still be doing at least one or two new MG's from 00, and that they were a bit quick to basically abandon it completely (for now).

#34 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29349 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

There have been some indications we might someday see a Reborns MG. However, the big issue now is that MGs just aren't profitable for a range of reasons and this is why they hit upon RGs. It's more economic for Bandai to make an involved 1/144 then an involved 1/100. It may also be part of the reason we're starting to see nostalgia products aimed at the 90s and 2000s fans.

#35 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

It would have been nice if Bandai hadn't just completely canceled the MG GN-XIV without telling anyone.

---Dave

#36 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 29349 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

Something of a scoop, HLJ have put up some AG kits for Jan 2012. These include Gundam AGE-2 Normal and Genoace II.

#37 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE(HellCat @ Nov 7 2011, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something of a scoop, HLJ have put up some AG kits for Jan 2012. These include Gundam AGE-2 Normal and Genoace II.

Bandai is trying way too hard to make good on their goal of out-plamoing their 00 line...

We're going to get tons of kits of variants and recolors and stuff, even more than 00 had.

---Dave

#38 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19492 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

As far as I'm concerned, we don't have enough 00 variants.

We're still missing Marute-mode Harute and Full Armor Zabanya, a transformable Seravee II, Dynames Repair, the GNX-IVs, and heck, it'd even be nice to get the Hellions. I'm less excited for the Gagas, but for completion's sake...

We also haven't gotten a Trans-Am Qan[T] yet, which is kind of a hole in my collection...

Edited by mx-01 archon, 07 November 2011 - 01:57 PM.

#39 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Nov 7 2011, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as I'm concerned, we don't have enough 00 variants.

We're still missing Marute-mode Harute and Full Armor Zabanya, a transformable Seravee II, Dynames Repair, the GNX-IVs, and heck, it'd even be nice to get the Hellions. I'm less excited for the Gagas, but for completion's sake...

We also haven't gotten a Trans-Am Qan[T] yet, which is kind of a hole in my collection...

GN-XIV is inexcusable, Bandai should have given us more than a B-Club conversion kit and a Tamashii Web exclusive Robot Damashii.

---Dave

#40 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19492 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

We're also missing Setsuna's Flag icon-fire.gif.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gundam, Anime, Gunpla

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users