Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

Photo

The Board Game Thread

233 replies to this topic

#41 SilverFirePrime

SilverFirePrime

And one more for Jenny and the Wimp

• Citizen
  • 3892 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

I recently played CO2, and I absolutely loved it. The basic concept is that you're trying to learn about and build green energy, replacing fossil fuels. What I really liked about this game was that in the first few round you need to cooperate with your fellow players, as if you don't build the green energy quickly enough the countries will build fossil fuel plants to keep up with the power demand. Too much CO2, and everybody loses. However, you have to be careful not to let somebody build too many plants and get an insurmountable lead when it comes time to turn on your fellow players. Add in hidden goal cards which will force you to alter your play style differently each game, and you have a winner.

Just two caveats: It takes about 3-4 hours for a complete game, and even though the box says it can play 5, I wouldn't recommend going over 4.

When you find yourself standing on the brink of surrender, know that many in the past faced trials such as your own, but overcame them with their great conviction.
No matter the greatness of your desperation, the failures of your efforts, or the injustice of your treatment, at least a few men have stared into the same challenges and emerged victorious from these tests.
Such men are not only a great source of inspiration, but also the very foundation upon which modern society rests.

From lyric booklet of 'Starfall' by Dragonland

The mind. It boggles.
QUOTE(Alvatron!)
...what's a comicon without a roomful of drunken comic geeks singing showtunes to DDR?

#42 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

So Deck Building Games are all the rage these days, as evidenced by the fact that BOTH Marvel and DC released one based on their comic properties within a month of each other - Marvel's 'Legendary' and the aptly titled 'DC Deck Building Game'. I've played them both. Here's what I think.

Lets start with 'Legendary', which I'm just going to call 'Marvel DBG' for the hell of it. My impression walking away from it the first time was 'Wow, that was way too short for the amount of setup required'. The second time I played, it was just 'GOD CAN WE START YET?' The amount of setup and teardown for this game is ridiculous. First, you have to pick a randomized SuperVillain. Then you have to pick a randomized 'Scheme' - both of which have certain cards associated with them. Then you have to pick 4 or 5 other 'Villain' decks randomly (based around themes like 'Spiderman villains' or 'Hydra' or so on) and shuffle them all together with the other cards from the Scheme and Superviallin decks. Then you have to pick 5 or so 'Hero' stacks, each about 10 cards based around a particular hero - Hulk or Wolvereine or (thank you game makers) Deadpool from a set of about 20 dfferent heroes, and create a second deck. And then you get your starting decks, and have a few more piles off to the side. This ends up taking a looooooooooooong time, even if you're well organized. And Teardown is a monster of a thing, as you can imagine.

And what do you do with all these? The primary object of the game is to defeat the Supervillain buy destroying cards in his stack, before 6 lesser villains escape the town by following a predetermined track. You do this by buying cards pulled from your hero stack and placed in a purchasing line. Each card either has buying power, or attack strength. Attack strength will let you bump off Supervillains from the track and collect them as points, or take out one of the Supervillains life. Killing villains gets you points, and also a reward - though it's not always a good thing for you! Some of the villains have 'rewars' that hurt you greatly.

Other then that, the games a straightforward deckbuilder. If you can defeat the Supervillain before enough Villains escape, whoever has the most points wins. Yay for you! It's a fun play, but the ridiculous setup and teardown time really, really injures the game. I thought Dominion had a slow setup and teardown, but this one is far, far worse.

The DC DBG, by comparison, is simple, clean and remarkably easy. You have a small Supervillain stack that you have to deplete before the buying deck runs out (or no one wins), a single Hero card that gives you a theme and a special power for the duraction of the game (In my game, I was Green Lantern, who encouraged a diverse deck) and you have your lineup where you can purchase cards. Almost all cards add to your general buying power, which can also be used to defeat the Supervillain stack. Additionally, almost all cards are worth points. The Supervillains are actually really powerful cards, and are added to your deck when you buy them. Similarly, the main buying stack consists of 'Gear', 'Superpowers', 'Heroes' and 'Villains', all of which function essentially the same way and are only used for light flavor purposes (IE: This card gets +1 for each gear you have, ect). It leads to a game that is simple, and fun, but unfortunately not very flavorful, as you wonder why you are adding all these villains to your deck. It's also the only Deck Builder I've played that doesn't encourage lean-deck trashing as a strategy - which is tough for me because that's usually my only strategy!

Overall, I'd give them both a play if asked, but the only one I would feel inclined to own is the DC Deck Builder.

So there you go.

Coming Later: A review of three of FFG's LCGs! Call of Cthulhu, Netrunner and Star Wars!

Edited by Master Fwiffo, 20 December 2012 - 12:37 PM.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#43 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:21 AM

I love me some card games, but I have a bad track run with games. My all time favorite CCG was the Star Wars CCG put out by Decipher - and in my opinion, it still had one of the greatest card game engines of all time. Unfortunately, Decipher lost the rights to Wizards of the Coast, and thus died one of my all time favorite games. Decipher tried to revive the engine with the 'Wars' CCG, unfortunately, the company went under before the second expansion managed to get out. I also played the Lord of the Rings CCG also by Decipher. I avoided Magic (as I never liked the engine), but dabbled in the World of Warcraft card game for awhile (which was basically magic with Blizzard jokes) but I couldn't get into a regular player base and gave up on it. After that, I decided I was done with CCGs and backed away entirely.

It was by chance and love of lost sanity that I picked up the Call of Cthulhu LCG. I didn't get deep into it (more on that in a bit) but FFG's LCG format entranced me. Unlike CCGs, where you buy a ton of packs in the hopes of getting the rare, good cards (and usually getting a lot of crap in the process), in an LCG you buy a base set (which usually has 1 or so of each card), while the expansions each contain 3 copies (the maximum allowed in a deck) of 20 cards. Instead of buying a bazillion packs, you can catch up with one 15 buck purchase a month, and competitive players rarely need more than 1 base set. There's no more desperately trying to buy the good rares, and far, far less of the useless junk cards that litter CCG's. In addition, because you have easy access to max copies of all cards, you can explore deck building options to a greater extent.

When I found out about Netrunner (based in the Android universe created by the underrated Android board game which is awesome) and the Star Wars LCG, I was overjoyed. So, how'd this turn out? Let's hit them one at a time.

Call of Cthulhu: I bought this 'cause it had Cthulhu on the cover. I won't lie. This game is basically magic with objectives you fight over. You summon your monsters (or Investigators, or Cultists, or whatever), and you have a chance to fight over Objectives. First to get three Objectives wins. The Objectives require 5 successes to capture, and each objective has a series of sub struggles with their own rewards - one is combat, one deals with driving characters insane, one gives you extra successes, and one lets you untap a character. The balance of these allows the Ancient One factions (Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, Hastur and Shub Niggurath) to be threatened by the human factions (Investigators, Feds and Criminals), as while the Ancient Ones are better at killing things and driving people insane, the Investigators are better at getting successes and being ready for the unexpected. Unlike Magic, any card can be used as a resource, and you have three 'Domains' which you stick those resources into. Once a domain is used, it can't be used again until the next turn, which means you might be overpaying for stuff. It's a better, but more complicated resource system. Overall, the game is fun, and thematic, but I just can't get anyone else I know to play it with me. I'd love to play it more.

Netrunner: This one is making a big splash around the webs. You might be asking 'what is this Netrunner I hear about? How can I be hip and play Netrunner too?' Well, let me tell you. Netrunner rocks.

Netrunner is a completely asymetrical card game. One side plays an evil faceless corporation (Cloning Company Jinteki, Android maker Haas-Bioroid, media conglomerate NBN and Construction masters Weyland) while the other plays a cyber hacker 'Runners' belonging to one of three groups (Anarchists who want to stick it to the man, Criminals who do it for the money, and Shapers who do it for fun). When I say the players are asymetrical, I am not exaggerating. The Corporation is about subterfuge, defense and bluffing. The Coporation has two was to win - either by advancing and completing Agendas (worth points) or by Killing the runner (making them discard cards when they have no cards left in hand). They advance Agendas by 'installing' them in servers, and protecting them with 'ICE' (basically souped up Firewalls that have several subroutines that do fun things). The fun part is - everything is installed face-down. You don't know what ICE you might be running up against, and you don't know if your target is juicy sweet Agendas, or a trap waiting to kill you. In addition, the corp doesn't pay the cost for the card until they want to use it. The runner has no idea what he is running into.

That makes the Runner all about preparedness and risk management - and calling Bluffs. The Runner makes 'Runs' on the corporate servers, using Icebreaker software to sneak past those nasty firewalls. The risk is, the Icebreakers cost money to use, and most can only be used against 1 certain subtypes of Ice. If you can break through and run on the servers (or even the Corporate players hand, deck or discard pile) and you find an Agenda - it and its points are yours. If you can get 7 points before the Corp score that many (or kills you), you win! Or if you can stall off the Corp till their deck runs out, that's also a victory.

The game is quick playing, but requires lots of thought and good decision making, as well as bluffing and reading your opponent. THe game and flavor in the artwork and decisions you can make are fantastic. Even deckbuilding is fun and streamlined, allowing for very customizable decks. All in all, it's one of the best games I've ever played, and it's worth your time.

And off the high in Netrunner, I was totally ready for the Star Wars LCG. It came out this week and I bought it. Hows it handle?

The big innovation here is the deck building system, which is interesting and inventive. Your deck is built around a stack of 10 Objectives - your resources and the goals for winning - and with each Objective are 5 linked cards that MUST go into your deck. Under most deck building systems, if you want Luke Skywalker in your deck, you put Luke Skywalker in your deck. Under this system, you put in the Objective Luke Skywalker is linked to - and then you also get an X-Wing, a Rebel Trooper, and a couple of Events. This allows for a subtle balancing where more powerful cards are stacked in with weaker cards, so if you want something powerful, you'll also dillute your deck with weaker cards. But don't worry - the weaker cards serve their purpose.

The other big innovation is the two-tiered battle system. When you attack an enemy objective, an 'Edge' battle takes place before the primary conflict, where in each player essentially throws away cards from their hands to get an advantage in the primary battle. These Edge battles can clear your hand of junk cards (you draw up to your hand size at the beginning of your turn), and swing the tide of battle. In the games I've played, the Edge battles made big differences between victory and defeat.

The Light side wins when they kill 3 Dark side objectives. The Dark Side has a Death Star dial that advances at the beginning of their turn, and advances further when Light Side objectives are killed. This makes the light side more desperate and against the wall, but they specialize better at hit and run attacks and dealing damage quickly to enemy objectives.

Overall the game is fun and well designed, but it isn't as thematic and awesome as the SWCCG from my youth. It's not a subtitute for my favorite, but it'll do. I'd recommend it, but not as much as Netrunner!

ty3jHaa.jpg

#44 Skyfire

Skyfire

Ain't it beautiful?

• Citizen
  • 1649 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Hrmm. Am I a board gamer? I'll let you decide. Here's a portion of my collection when I cleaned out the closet:

And here's my full collection:

http://www.boardgame...btype=boardgame

And I've been attending GEN CON since 1993. Just got back from my 20th GEN CON back in August.

By far, my favorite board game of all time is 1853, a "train game" based in India. I'm so happy Mayfair re-published it, though I am not certain I approve of the lack of expansions that made the game so enjoyable.

The most common game I play anymore, though, is Ticket To Ride. It's the only one my friends will agree on because we can finish it in about 45 minutes. We play Dominion quite a bit, too. Gone are the days where we could sit down to start Republic Of Rome or Advanced Civilization at 2 in the afternoon on a Saturday and still be going strong at 2 in the morning Sunday. I could do it, but none of my friends can.

A list of the games I really do enjoy playing:

1829: Mainline
Acquire
Air Baron
Airlines Europe
Automobile
Carcassonne
Dominion
DungeonQuest
(But only if I get to play the knight!)
Egizia
Flash Point
Martin Wallace's Totally Renamed Train Game
Pack & Stack
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
Redneck Life
Settlers Of America
Shadows Over Camelot
Silverton
(Both Mayfair and White Wolf versions)
Talisman
(Again, gotta be the knight!)
Thurn and Taxis
Ticket To Ride
Union Pacific

And yes, I even do own The Transformers Adventure Game: Defeat The Decepticons.

#45 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9215 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Gonna play Arkham Horror with two friends tomorrow. We're hoping to make it once a month. We'll probably try playing dual characters just to have more players to help stop the Ancient Ones.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#46 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4783 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

Resurrecting this thread to see how much board game interest has changed on this forum in the past three years. 

Board gaming has become the primary fire of my social gatherings over the past several years, and I know the hobbyist market is just growing and growing. What games are y'all playing?

Also I'm heading out to BGG.con tomorrow and I wanted to see if any Allsparkers might be there :)

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#47 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17975 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:51 AM

I love board games. Especially things like Arabian Nights and Betrayal at House on the Hill. Sadly with a 7 and (more to the point) 1.5 year old we don't get much time to play at the moment.

Usually if it's complex enough for the wife and me it's too complicated or slow for the 7yr old and even if there's something we all want to try the 1.5 year old interrupts before we get too far.

-ZacWilliam, still I love the idea behind them and keep adding new games to my wish list even if I'm not sure when we'd play.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#48 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4783 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

I love board games. Especially things like Arabian Nights and Betrayal at House on the Hill. Sadly with a 7 and (more to the point) 1.5 year old we don't get much time to play at the moment.

Usually if it's complex enough for the wife and me it's too complicated or slow for the 7yr old and even if there's something we all want to try the 1.5 year old interrupts before we get too far.

-ZacWilliam, still I love the idea behind them and keep adding new games to my wish list even if I'm not sure when we'd play.

Have you tried Agents of SMERSH?

It's basically Arabian Nights 2.0. 

ALL OF TREASURES

#49 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:00 AM

Every Friday night and sometimes more often! For me, board gaming is the best way for me to overcome the usually insurmountable obstacle of making friends. I've mad a ton since I've moved to Texas a few months ago, solely through board gaming. It's awesome.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#50 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9215 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:24 AM

Made a friend with access to games last month and have been playing Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Munchkin, Small World, Splendor, King of Tokyo with friends.

Splendor is an odd one as it seems the closest to traditional (no role playing) but I like it. It's quiet and math-y.

Betrayal is just awesome if the guys are into it. I've had demon summoner, tentacles, poltergeist, evil twins, mad bomber, flying house, frankenstein scenarios. We win some, we lose some horribly. Still arguing about the fighting rules too. But it's good for stories. I can imagine the movie a scenario would make.

Munchkin is just murder and back stabbery, haha

Forgot about Avalon Resistance. I'd LOVE to play that and variations but its not worth it unless you have five or more players. Can't get my friends all together for that.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#51 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25538 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

Cards Against Humanity with a bunch of truckers can be a blast.
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#52 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17975 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

Have you tried Agents of SMERSH?

It's basically Arabian Nights 2.0. 

Had heard the name but no more than that. Just looked it up and yeah if it's as inspired by Tales of the Arabian Nights as it sounds that would definitely be up our alley. I'll have to add it to my list to try.

-ZacWilliam, I wish someone would do a Fantasy or SciFi reskin of Betrayal. I love the mechanics of that but my wife isn't a fan of Horror.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#53 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5520 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

I've been wanting to expand my board game collection for a while now. Sadly I just don't have people to play with, so it'll likely be a while.

I posted way back in this thread about Hero Quest, and since then I haven't managed to do one game with it. (Also am I the only one to play it? There were like no other posts talking of the game)

I did however find and get to play an old card game I loved. "Mille Bornes" The 'racing' card game. It can be a lot of fun with 3-4 people.

There was a pipe card game I use to play which I keep forgetting the name to. You had a faucet and would lay down pipe cards in an attempt to make a water way. If you had like a t-shaped pipe, you had to have an end cap card to block the area the water wasn't going to flow. Then your opponents could lay down 'leaking' pipe cards over your pipes, and you had to either replace it with the same pipe card (Minus the leak of course) Or you had these little metal wrenches you could place on it to say you fixed it. I think the goal was to get as many cards down as you could. It's been years since I had it to play.

I also want to get a copy of the Bermuda Triangle board game. I had a lot of fun with that one in the past.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#54 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4783 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

I posted way back in this thread about Hero Quest, and since then I haven't managed to do one game with it. (Also am I the only one to play it? There were like no other posts talking of the game)

I actually own a copy of Heroquest which I picked up at BGG.con a year or two ago. :) I've only played through a few of the missions, but it's a fun one. There's a game called Descent which is essentially Heroquest with expanded options and modernized rules.

There was a pipe card game I use to play which I keep forgetting the name to. You had a faucet and would lay down pipe cards in an attempt to make a water way. If you had like a t-shaped pipe, you had to have an end cap card to block the area the water wasn't going to flow. Then your opponents could lay down 'leaking' pipe cards over your pipes, and you had to either replace it with the same pipe card (Minus the leak of course) Or you had these little metal wrenches you could place on it to say you fixed it. I think the goal was to get as many cards down as you could. It's been years since I had it to play.

It's called Waterworks, and again, oddly enough, I own a copy. I don't even have that large of a board game collection!

(In this case, though, I haven't actually played it. My wife's grandmother gave us several of her old board games last year and that was among the collection.)

ALL OF TREASURES

#55 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9215 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:25 PM

-ZacWilliam, I wish someone would do a Fantasy or SciFi reskin of Betrayal. I love the mechanics of that but my wife isn't a fan of Horror.

Oooh that would be fun. The scifi theme would be exploring a spaceship (engineering section for the basement, the expanded bridge for the upper floor) and the fantasy type would be a castle or dungeon. It would still turn into a horror suspense though, when the betrayal starts.

Hmm, with the recent teen survival stuff, maybe there's an alternative to a space ship.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#56 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4783 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:01 PM

Oooh that would be fun. The scifi theme would be exploring a spaceship (engineering section for the basement, the expanded bridge for the upper floor) and the fantasy type would be a castle or dungeon. It would still turn into a horror suspense though, when the betrayal starts.

Hmm, with the recent teen survival stuff, maybe there's an alternative to a space ship.

Not reskins, but in similar theme, for sci-fi there's Space Hulk (one player explores the ship, other player controls the aliens aboard it) and Xia (players control ships that explore the galaxy, carry out transport missions, become pirates, etc.). The Firefly board game is also quite good.

For fantasy, I mentioned Descent earlier. It's basically D&D lite - you have one player controlling the monsters and the scenario, and the other player(s) controlling the various heroes. It can be played like a campaign. 

None of these are exactly like Betrayal, but they do carry similar thematic weight, where you play as characters having to carry out missions, explore areas, etc.

ALL OF TREASURES

#57 Strafe

Strafe

Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Validating
  • 11525 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:39 PM

We are obsessed with the adorable dungeon crawler board game that borrows its aesthetic from from old Japanese console RPG's. Super Dungeon Explore!

#58 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4783 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:20 AM

We are obsessed with the adorable dungeon crawler board game that borrows its aesthetic from from old Japanese console RPG's. Super Dungeon Explore!

I've wanted to try that one for a long time.

ALL OF TREASURES

#59 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9215 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:43 AM

Fought my nephew (14) and niece (8) for control as the King of Tokyo.  I won first with victory point, then my nephew (I got killed) then my niece.  Surprised that my niece picked up on it quickly, yow.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#60 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21522 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

King of Tokoyo was a game I really wanted to like. I love the theming! But the actual game play never really appealed to me.

My new default party game is Superfight! It's a tamer cards against humanity where you argue your case about who would win in a fight - Batman with literal Jazz Hands. Or MacGuycer who can summon anything at will from a furniture store (some of my favorite examples). If you have the right group, it's hilariously insane.

ty3jHaa.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users