Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 06:18 PM)

"Prowl". There, that's at least fifteen.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Or do you want people to spam the Squawkbox with lists of 100 characters?

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Oky, just one question: If I were to say "Yes, I could", how could you be sure I'm not lying?

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:08 PM)

i don't go into people's threads that have no relevance to my interests just to be an ass by telling them that their comments and opinions are of no value just because they have no personal interest to me.

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:06 PM)

i think one of us is misunderstanding what the squawkbox is actually for.

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:06 PM)

and what is wrong with that? you respond to me to lessen your own boredom.

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:05 PM)

I'm asking people if they think they could.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:05 PM)

Or did you just think of another random question to lessen your boredom?

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:04 PM)

Is this a survey?

Photo

The Board Game Thread

233 replies to this topic

#21 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21519 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(Asquian @ Mar 15 2012, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Where does one find the Starcraft board game?

It was published by FFG, but the liscence got pulled recently and given to Hasbro, so FFG stopped producing it. You still might luck out and find it second hand, at a board game store or a second-hand dealer online.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#22 Cabal

Cabal
  • Citizen
  • 2060 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Fwiffo, have you ever play Arkham with all the expansions simultaneously? Its quite the challenge, but very rewarding if you manage to win.

Also, the FFG Gear of War adaptation is quite good. Four player co-op against AI driven locust with randomized board layouts. Its definitely one of the hardest players versus board game games I've played, but a lot of fun.

Edited by Cabal, 15 March 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#23 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21519 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Cabal @ Mar 15 2012, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fwiffo, have you ever play Arkham with all the expansions simultaneously? Its quite the challenge, but very rewarding if you manage to win.

Yes I have! Last year, I devoted a Halloween party to just that, and I have every intent of doing it again this year. icon-fire.gif

Also, the FFG Gear of War adaptation is quite good. Four player co-op against AI driven locust with randomized board layouts. Its definitely one of the hardest players versus board game games I've played, but a lot of fun.

My friend own that game. It is a lot of fun, but I don't really like the limited scenarios you're presented with. That, and it's hard to tell the Dom, Marcus and Baird pieces apart. But otherwise, it's a fantastic game.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#24 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Mar 15 2012, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was published by FFG, but the liscence got pulled recently and given to Hasbro, so FFG stopped producing it. You still might luck out and find it second hand, at a board game store or a second-hand dealer online.

I'm seeing that. Looks like if I'm lucky and patient I can maybe score the game and expansion for around $100.

Sadly I don't have that kind of scratch available, considering other pursuits. I guess I just keep my eyes open for now.

#25 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21519 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE(Asquian @ Mar 15 2012, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Mar 15 2012, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm seeing that. Looks like if I'm lucky and patient I can maybe score the game and expansion for around $100.

Sadly I don't have that kind of scratch available, considering other pursuits. I guess I just keep my eyes open for now.

I got the game used but in near-perfect condition for $50, and picked up the Expansion new for $30. icon-hotrod.gif

ty3jHaa.jpg

#26 Badgertron

Badgertron

Can you dig it?

• Citizen
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Board games are difficult to store accessibly, because the boxes tend to be all different sizes. We have a large shelving unit full of them in our dining room (not ideal, I know), and they're all sorted, but it still looks like a big jumble.

One game I've loved for YEARS is Shadows over Camelot. Basically, your group plays as the Knights of the Round Table, and you go off on quests all over the game board, such as recovering the Holy Grail, fighting the Saxons, slaying a dragon, etc. When you complete a quest, you add white swords to the round table, but when you lose a quest, a black sword gets placed instead. The game is over when the round table is full, and if you have more white swords than black, you win. Someone is also selected randomly to be the secret traitor, who tries to work against the group without being found out, in an attempt to cause everyone to lose. It's a really fun game for parties, but it can take a while to get going.

I'm also a huge fan of Munchkin! It's portable, it's upgradeable with about a dozen different themed subsets, the cards are hilarious, and you can either play cooperatively or competetively, depending on your mood. It's really my game of choice for parties at Cons.

-BT

Edited by Badgertron, 17 March 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#27 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21519 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

I've got tons of Munchkin varients - all the big box set releases except the latest two (Zombies and Axe Cop), and most the expansions for em.

Unfortunately I just can't get people to play em with me so often anymore. icon-screamer.gif

ty3jHaa.jpg

#28 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5516 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

I'm dissapointed! How have we managed to get THIS far in the thread without mentioning this game!

This was THE game I played growing up. All the time, any chance I got.

Right now I'm trying to track down the Quest Packs. Shouldn't be 'too' hard to get Keller's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord. But as for the 'other' Quest Packs... That might be a bit more cash then I'll ever have on hand. :/

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#29 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

http://wilwheaton.ty...w-tabletop.html
Last summer, Felicia Day asked me if I wanted to develop a show together for her new premium YouTube channel, Geek and Sundry.

Spoiler alert: I said yes.

She asked me if I wanted to do a show about gaming, maybe a review show or something like that.

"I think it would be more fun do something where we play games," I said. Then, the light bulb went off.

"Oh my god," I said, "What if we did something that was like Celebrity Poker meets Dinner for Five, where we got interesting people we know together for tabletop games?!"

Felicia thought it sounded awesome, I was really excited about the idea, and we got to work. It took a few months to develop, and in December we finally shot our first block of episodes. In February, we got the band back together and shot another block of episodes, and just last week, I finished locking down the final edits for all the shows (that's why I couldn't come to Wondercon on Friday.)

In season one of the show, we play games like Settlers of Catan, The Last Night on Earth, Munchkin, Small World, and Alhambra. Some of the players include Grant Imahara, Sean Plott (better known as Day[9]), Dodger Leigh, Ryan Higa, Beth Riesgraf, Phil Lamarr, Morgan Webb, Garfunkle and Oats, Veronica Belmont, and Colin Ferguson.

My ulterior motive with Tabletop is to show by example how much fun it is to play boardgames. I want to show that Gamers aren't all a bunch of weirdoes who can't make eye contact when they talk to you, and that getting together for a game night is just as social and awesome as getting together to watch Sportsball, or to play poker, or for a LAN party, or whatever non-gamers do with their friends. I want to inspire people to try hobby games, and I want to remove the stigma associated with gaming and gamers.

I'm pretty sure we succeeded. By the second day of production, our crew was grabbing games out of our games library to play at lunch. All of our interns and production assistants have become complete game fanatics, and whenever I edit a show, all I want to do is go home and play that game until my face falls off.

I hope you'll subscribe to our channel, and please tell your friends about Tabletop.

Actually it does sound kinda interesting.

#30 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11902 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

I'll look into it, thanks for the heads up.

In other news, I FINALLY got to play my first game of Risk legacy this weekend. I know some of the players approached it with "sure, we got nothing to do tonight so I suppose we could try..." but when it ends with "his was great, can't wait to try again" you know you have a winner. We didn't get to open any of the envelopes, but already Earth 524 (my board's number) has seen permanent changes: the northern portion of Africa is now VERY hard to defend as both North Africa and Egypt have Ammo Depletion markers. North Africa seen so much casualty as it kept changing hands that a minor city known as "Necropolis"was founded there... and the fact that its Risk Card is now worth 2 instead of 1 means that it will remain a prized target nonetheless. A major. City was founded by the game's winner (who played Khan Industries, allowing me to scream "KHAAAAAAN!!!!" Kirk-style at the end) and 2 bunkers were planed in China and Central America.

Our 2nd game should be played shortly,
From the Page of Cage!

#31 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21519 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Of my little group that consistantly plays Legacy, 2 of us have given up. Why? Our third member has just gotten too. Damn. Strong. Be careful, if one of the players starts to sign the board a lot more times than the others, you're pretty well screwed.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#32 Donocropolis

Donocropolis

Broom broom!

• Citizen
  • 3277 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

A super fun board game that was a gift from my wife. It's been far too long since we've played it, actually.

#33 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11902 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Games 2 and 3 of our Risk Legacy campaign got played tonight. We opened our 1st envelope when I got eliminated (which allowed the player who ran Imperial Balkania to pull a win as she got her 4th Red Star Token). Game 2 saw a win by the same player who won game 1, which made us open our 2nd envelope.

2 Continents were named tonight as Judith named Europe "Euroju" and South America is now known as South Balkania. Madagascar now has a bunker as well as the player attempted to defend (and failed) the HQ placed there to prevent the surprise win by conquest in game 2. 3 more Minor Cities were founded: Platypuss Land in Western Australia, Titicaca in Peru and Massacreland in Eastern US (the site of a series of bloody battle in game 3)

Can't believe I'm about to use Spoiler Tags on a Board Game thread but here goes...

HIGHLIGHT to view:
Having been eliminated in game 2 meant I opened the related envelope, meaning the Enclave of the Bear now have a faction power the other ones do not have: They are now Sneaky, giving the player the ability to add troops to unclaimed territories, something I admit I didn't capitalize on in game 3 but could have avoided the win of that player later on when I could have popped 10 troops in that player's undefended backyard. Live and learn. That envelope also added the Mercenaries rule, and they were all put in game 3: Eastern US, Brazil and Middle East now spawn mercs each turn. This will make things interesting. The 2nd envelope we opened added Events and Missions, which will make subsequent games very chaotic - not to mention gave the factions homelands where they have advantages, which were set according to the starting countries we picked in our games. Next sessions are going to be weiiiiiird.

Luck was a weird factor in those 2 games: in many cases the defender kept overcoming incredible odds - EXCEPT for the one player (where we played tonight's games). He was cursed - he lost about 75% of the rolls he made, be it for attack or defense. It's actually a surprise I was the eliminated player in game 2 and not him. His streak of bad luck is tainting his opinion of the game and it's evident it'll be hard to get him to join again - and frankly, had I been hit by such rotten luck, I'd probably feel the same.

Still, I can't wait to try it next time with the changes that tonight's games brought to my board.

Edited by Devcon, 01 April 2012 - 10:21 PM.

From the Page of Cage!

#34 Cabal

Cabal
  • Citizen
  • 2060 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(John Nemo @ Mar 21 2012, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any players of Memoir '44?

It uses the Command and Colors game system, one of my absolute favorites. In terms of wargames, it's on the light side of the spectrum {Which works out, since I'm not really into the super complex stuff}, but loses none of the strategy you'd expect from a traditional tactical wargame. Plus, once you learn the rules, you have them down for every game in the series, and can concentrate instead on some of the more interesting variations introduced later on. The game gets even better at Overlord level, allowing up to eight players to play on two four person teams.

BGG Link here: http://boardgamegeek...10630/memoir-44

I have it and the front expansions and play it a lot with my friend who's a WWII nut.

As far as wargames go though, I play a lot more Battletech than Memoir.

#35 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21519 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hey, like a bazillion posts up there me and Undead Scottsman had a brief talk about Acension and Dominion. Well, I picked up Star Trek: The Deck Building Game (it's Next Gen ya'll!) after having given it a brief try at a Con. It's similar to Dominion as you're building your deck from available cards as you go, but as you build up you deck (or rather, your ship), you use the cards to go questing and go on missions, to explore strange new worlds, and seek out- you know where I'm going. icon-waspy.gif It's a lot more focused on chance than Dominion is, but it's got good strategic options as well, since you can deny a few available cards to opponents if you can't buy them yourself. It makes for a fun and interesting game.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#36 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

Almost simultaneously discovered the existence of then bought this: http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1439.l2649

Learned about the game from Wikipedia, an ebay search turned up the above, so, naturally...

Time to learn how to play Dragon Poker.

#37 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

Anyone ever tried out Munchkin Quest? The gf and I found it in a thrift store for $3 (complete, which is great because there's like 500 pieces!). I'm a sucker for dungeon-crawl type games (although I don't own or play nearly enough of them) and she loves Monty Python-style humor, so it seemed like a good deal.

#38 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9208 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

My friend owns an Arkham Horror game and I hooked a new friend into playing. Last week, we did an epic game where four of us sealed four gates in succession. The timing was perfect and it was the first time we played the game without waking the ancient one. It was awesome icon-hotrod.gif

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#39 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21519 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for bumping this! A board game store finally opened up fairly close to me and in addition to far too many games, I've made a lot of friends and meet there regularly. I plan to give you guys a few more reviews of games I've been playing tonight. Netrunner Rules.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#40 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11239 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:12 AM

I wish I had a game store that wasn't 45 minutes to an hour away. icon-screamer.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users