Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 06:18 PM)

"Prowl". There, that's at least fifteen.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Or do you want people to spam the Squawkbox with lists of 100 characters?

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Oky, just one question: If I were to say "Yes, I could", how could you be sure I'm not lying?

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:08 PM)

i don't go into people's threads that have no relevance to my interests just to be an ass by telling them that their comments and opinions are of no value just because they have no personal interest to me.

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:06 PM)

i think one of us is misunderstanding what the squawkbox is actually for.

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:06 PM)

and what is wrong with that? you respond to me to lessen your own boredom.

@  Bass X0 : (30 July 2020 - 06:05 PM)

I'm asking people if they think they could.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:05 PM)

Or did you just think of another random question to lessen your boredom?

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:04 PM)

Is this a survey?

Photo

The Board Game Thread

233 replies to this topic

#221 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7694 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

I knew there must be a board game thread in here somewhere!

I'm having some kind of awakening... I sort of used to think that board games were tedious nonsense for people who couldn't play RPGs or console games, but I somehow fell down a board game rabbit hole a couple of weeks back and my life has been transformed. 

Divisive as it apparently is, I am super, super in love with Betrayal at House on the Hill (cannot wait for the Legacy version). Have picked up Eldritch Horror (though haven't had a chance to play yet) and am keen to grab Mansions of Madness; Horror is a genre that works for me obviously. Also planning to pick up some other stuff like Coup, Mysterium... a bunch of things that look like fun on Tabletop, basically. Hanging out for a new edition of Fury of Dracula now that WizKids is getting in on that. Not keen on the prices that the third edition tends to be going for these days. I know it cops a lot of criticism for running too long, but it's pretty and I love that vampire dude.

Also playing lots of Pandemic and have the Legacy games on their way. The way people rave about them is just amazing. 

I wish someone would do a Fantasy or SciFi reskin of Betrayal. I love the mechanics of that but my wife isn't a fan of Horror.

A little late here, I know, but I hope you've checked out Betrayal at Baldur's Gate!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#222 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11902 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

Pandemic Legacy 1 was crazy awesome I agree.

I have the 2nd game but we haven't started yet. Can't wait
From the Page of Cage!

#223 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9208 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

I've played Betrayal at Baldur's Gate and it's pretty good as an almost reskin. Even the tiles are essentially the same with switching floors with houses and streets, it feels less claustrophobic.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#224 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7694 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:57 PM

Pandemic Legacy S1 has been amazing. We're about to play July and the game has been a spectacular rollercoaster. The first few months we sailed through, but the last couple have been incredibly close calls. 

Speaking of co-op games where you travel around the board cleaning up messes caused by some terrible force that the players have to act for at the end of their turns, I just discovered this thing which just looks magnificent to me. 

http://www.funforge....citadel-of-time

https://boardgamegee...nd-citadel-time

http://www.meeplemou...of-time-review/

https://jaysenheadle...rd-game-review/

It basically looks like Pandemic, but in the Clue mansion and with a time-travelling supervillain instead of four diseases. I am super in love. 

Sadly it doesn't appear to exist in Australia yet, but there's a big game con here in a week or two and I'm hoping someone there will have it. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#225 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3896 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

I cant stress enough how much fun BIOTIX is...its easy, its short, and its just alot of fun.

Also, my best friends and I just did a playthrough of CENTIPEDE, for a review my friend is doing for AIPT...it was kinda a lot of fun, but totally feels like its impossible to win as the Gnome...the 4 player game was the most fun we had with it, doing strategy while relying on the luck of the draw with the dice and fcards added a lot to the game.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

I see behind a thousand lies that you try to hide

I bleed inside: you left your knife but I'm still alive
I...love the way you kill me
I love the way you watch me die

Life or death a bullet to the chest
I'd do it again...
Just when I think I've cut you out
You come with open arms to drag me down

#226 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1429 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

My wife just came into some money, so for a surprise she bought me the Ghostbusters 2 boardgame.

...it's so awesome I could cry.

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#227 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9541 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 06:48 AM

So I went and backed the Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid game seeing that getting the Green, White, and Red plus Dragon Shield MMPR rangers are exclusive to the Kickstarter, not too mention playable Ranger Slayer Kim. Now this is what kind of bugs me about these. I loved the Ghostbusters games but both times I missed out on the Kickstarters, not knowing they were going on or not having the spare funds to Back the projects.

Looking back pretty much my entire wishlist for the games, they were all done already for only Kickstarter backers. The Extreme GB's, Real GB's, the IDW spare Team and the video games Rookie all were stretch goals. Not too mention Gozer, the demon dogs, Samhain, Sandman, Boogieman, the Library Ghost etc. But since they are all backer goals I'm outta luck unless someone puts them up on eBay. I get the sweetness for backers getting these exclusives but it really puts a damper on some of these games knowing stuff I want is out there but out of reach only because of some induced scarcity.

On that note though.....

Only a couple days left for the Heroes of the Grid Kickstarter. The game is already well worth backing at this point but they set Goldar as the last Stretch Goal. I'm ok with it not happening but if possible I'd love to see things bump up.Things like Ranger Slayer Kim are cool but why set Goldar as the end post?! that's just odd to me.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#228 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9541 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:08 PM

So um,.... that 500k goal for the Ranger game got smashed in less than a day. So now they are setting sights higher now. The goals from 515K to 600K are now set. Well 515 is just upgrades to the box and a bunch of the tokens in the game and every other stretch goal inbetween is blurred for now but 600 K is Lauren the Red Samurai Ranger. Obviously they are pandering to the comic crowd after her involvement in the Shattered Grid story.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#229 SoS

SoS
  • Administrator
  • 5289 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:01 PM

I want to support the Ranger game, but I don't really play tabletop RPGs so I'd feel like I'd be spending the money on something I won't really use. I'm glad that the Kickstarter did extremely well.

--SoS

#230 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5516 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:42 PM

So last night for game night, my roommate and I purchased a new game for the get together.

"The Blockbuster Party game!"

https://www.target.c...me/-/A-54397712

It's a lot of fun. All movie trivia stuff. You basically form two teams and then choose who on your team is going to be that round's active player. Then you and the other team's active player do a round called

"Head to Head" Where you draw a card that will say something like: "Movies with vampires" Then you have to name a movie and hit the buzzer, which gives the other guy 15 seconds to say a movie with a vampire in it, then he'll hit the button and you pretty much get it.

(Your team can't shout out answers, but they CAN try and act out a movie to help you out, which lead to me trying to pretend my hand was the Star Ship Enterprise to get them to say "Star Trek" As you can imagine this failed horribly. XD)

Of course the game specifically says no sequels so you can't just shout out every last Fast and the Furious film if the topic was "Movies with cars"

The next thing you do is the best part. Whoever won the round picks up six movie cards that will have a genre of movie and the movie's name. You have three spots on the board.

One word: You have to get your team to guess the movie by only saying one word. (Example the game gives is if your movie is Shrek, you keep yelling swamp)

Quote: You say a quote from the film. Obviously can't use the title in the quote. (Or the title of the film in the one word category either) It states that if you've never seen the film or just don't know a quote, it's fine to make one up.

Act it: You can't say anything, but can basically do charades to get people to guess the movie. Which means I probably should have been disqualified when I slapped my hands on my cheeks and yelled in order to get them to guess Home Alone...

The advantage of winning the Head to Head is you get to pick three of the six movies and then give the remaining three to the other team. Then each active member decides where on the board you are going to place your movies. If you think you can describe Rocky in one word, you'd place it there. (Obviously most would just yell Adrian!)

If your team guesses the movie, you get to keep it. The goal is to get all eight categories of films.

There are a few more rules, but that's the general idea of it.

The only problem I'm having is that a few of use know WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more about movies then most our friends. Someone mentioned this would be great if it was anime or videogames, so I think I'm going to try and buy some multi colored business cards and see if I can make up some cards for videogames and anime.

I'm fairly certain I can figure out 8 genres for each, but the head to head cards might be an issue. I'd have to come up with stuff. I dunno anime's with an animal mascot and so on.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#231 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9208 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 03:50 AM

Pokemon, Digimon, Doraemon, um, Sailor Mon?

Sounds like parts of it is like Time's Up, which has segments that's Taboo, Charades and that one word thing.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#232 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9208 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

I haven't played Machi Koro legacy but the co Creator is in hot water.

https://tabletopwire...f-sexual-abuse/

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#233 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 5516 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:28 AM

I wish there was a way to get things re-printed.

So I'm a big fan of the old Milton Bradley game Hero Quest.

I have the base board game, and none of the expansions. The Keller's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord packs are like 100 bucks each. It's steep, but I think I can manage that.

However the Barbarian and Elf Quest packs that were mail order only back in the day. Yeah as being such the current prices I'm seeing on ebay are 700-1000 each.

Like... I'd seriously have to win a million bucks to even THINK about that.Just...no. That's way to expensive. 

I'm honestly talking to friends about possibly trying to 3D print the stuff in those packs, because I'm not even entertaining the idea of dropping so much money on a board game. Even if I did have savings. (which I don't)

Course I have no idea if MB is even still around making games, or who even has the license to do Hero Quest stuff anymore. So sadly I'm pretty sure this is one game system that will fade into the past. (Which it probably already has)

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#234 Sharkshadow

Sharkshadow
  • Citizen
  • 14501 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:30 PM

Hasbro owns the rights to Heroquest now, along with everything else Milton Bradly did.  someone tried to kick start a reprint but they didn't have the rights so it went no where.  if you like that kind of game, maybe look into Descent by Fantasy Flight games or the upcoming league of infamy game by Mantic Games. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users