Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 June 2020 - 11:51 PM)

They dubbed reaction shots and running scenes in the first two UT shows with "huh?" and grunts. very annoying.

@  Sabrblade : (04 June 2020 - 06:10 PM)

Watch it in Japanese with English subs. Karyuudo did all that work for us so that we could. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (04 June 2020 - 06:08 PM)

I tried... but it just wasn't that good. The comics were better.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 June 2020 - 04:07 PM)

I didn't even watch Armada when it originally aired.

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 June 2020 - 01:52 PM)

Anyone watch Armada anymore ._.

@  JRSBill : (03 June 2020 - 01:06 PM)

bain

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 June 2020 - 04:14 AM)

UBI is coming.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 June 2020 - 09:30 PM)

I can just HEAR his screechy G1 voice saying that....

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 June 2020 - 09:30 PM)

*Dies laughing* XDDDDDD

@  TheMightyMol... : (02 June 2020 - 07:01 PM)

Megatron's coupon has failed! Now I, Starscream, shall speak to your manager!

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 June 2020 - 06:39 PM)

(i just want to make jokes excuse my doing)

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 June 2020 - 06:38 PM)

ITS STARSCREAM.... AND HIS CLONES

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 June 2020 - 06:31 PM)

And there was no one there when I started!

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 June 2020 - 06:31 PM)

I swear, I'm in line to use a coupon, there is something wrong with said coupon, and suddenly I'm holding up a line of 3 or 4 people

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 June 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Ha! Talk about getting away with something!

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 June 2020 - 09:08 AM)

Carnivac was still an evil Decepticon at heart, and no one shot him in the back for it.

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 May 2020 - 06:52 PM)

*stares at the light switch* .... I see what you did there

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 May 2020 - 01:40 PM)

*hands llittleautobot1218 a light switch* There you go.

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 May 2020 - 10:53 AM)

I feel a need to lighten up the mood.... ;)

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 May 2020 - 10:38 AM)

:p

@  Maximus Ambus : (30 May 2020 - 02:14 AM)

Shockwave did it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (30 May 2020 - 12:21 AM)

I'm not in the US and at least some of the episodes seem to work for me. I don't know the actual list of places it's available, though.

@  Shockwave 75 : (29 May 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Unfortunately It seems Cyberverse is only available in the US on YouTube.

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 May 2020 - 09:19 AM)

Yes, and its ongoing.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (29 May 2020 - 01:05 AM)

Cyberverse is already officially uploaded to YouTube.

@  fourteenwings : (29 May 2020 - 12:36 AM)

Spin Master is abridging current episodes of Bakugan Armored Alliance and posting the result on YouTube. Maybe Hasbro does that someday too.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 10:59 PM)

I see... :/

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 08:14 PM)

Within the US anyway. Those channels aren't easy or cheap to access in other countries, and their website often region lock content. Tubi is the only good thing on that list: largely identical (but not perfectly so. Damnit. I wanna watch COPS.) country to country and free.

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:24 PM)

So yeah, Hasbro is using plenty of venues to spread exposure of their brands

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Starz currently licenses Transformers G1 and the GI Joe movie (as well as MLP specials). Netflix has more current series available.

@  Nevermore : (28 May 2020 - 07:21 PM)

Study shows: Holders of the title "world's oldest person" have a severely increased risk of dying.

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:18 PM)

Tubi TV and Youtube both host various Hasbro cartoons. Both are freely accessed and ad supported. Any basic TV package (barring straight antenna) includes channels like USA Network, SyFy and FX, all of which regularly air the films from Transformers and GI Joe.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 06:18 PM)

I dunno what to tell you, media might be changing slowly, but at least it's still accessible. Even the folks that DON'T get one of the streaming services can watch it on the company website. It's a vehicle for the toy line after all, they need to make an effort to make it as consumable as possible.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Well. Thats said, then.... I guess... :doh

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 04:13 PM)

As long as the the cartoons are profitable, then they'll make more. The media it's shown on is completely irrelevant. I say that as a guy whose earliest surviving memory is a big red truck turning into a big red robot.

@  ZakuConvoy : (28 May 2020 - 03:06 PM)

Might be the end of an era. With the rise of streaming, who knows if Transformers will ever be on broadcast TV again.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 11:46 AM)

3 seasons on a show is usually enough... but yeah ;-;

@  Roddie Luver : (27 May 2020 - 09:37 PM)

I’m also sad Cyberverse has no season four.

@  Paladin : (26 May 2020 - 08:10 PM)

it's too hugging hot today.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 May 2020 - 03:39 PM)

I'll agree with you on that.

*Figured -_-

I fugured

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 May 2020 - 01:37 PM)

I'm actually sad Cyberverse won't get another season. 2 and 3 (of what I've seen) have REALLY nailed it in being fun little actions shows, like the Sunbow series.

@  Rycochet : (25 May 2020 - 01:00 PM)

Yes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 May 2020 - 12:52 PM)

I'm waiting for Animated season 4. Am I insane?

@  wonko the sane? : (25 May 2020 - 11:22 AM)

I'm waiting for the next season to show up on netflix.

@  Sabrblade : (25 May 2020 - 10:59 AM)

Many of us have already watched the rest of the Cyberverse episodes since the whole third season aired in the UK last September.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 May 2020 - 10:18 AM)

*9th

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 May 2020 - 10:17 AM)

I just saw the 8th episode... omg

@  Bass X0 : (25 May 2020 - 01:28 AM)

Already seen it online.

Photo

The Board Game Thread

233 replies to this topic

#1 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21478 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

I'm opening this thread for general discussion of various board games, card games, die games, or whatever type of boxed funloving nonsense you like to gather together with your friends and play. Feel free to discuss, review, give playing sessions, or generally do whatever.

But mostly I'm posting this so I can post the review in the next post. icon-waspy.gif

ty3jHaa.jpg

#2 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21478 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

An Elder Sign Review From an Arkham Horror Lover

I haven't been playing Arkham Horror comparatively long, but I've been playing it quite a bit since I picked it up for the first time 6 months ago. I've already bought most of the expansions (I passed up the last remaining one, Kingsport in favor of Elder Sign, but I'll finish my collection soon!) and I've put a lot of time into Arkham Horror games. Granted I still get some of the rules wrong, but Arkham Horror delivers a unique half RPG/half board game experience that I just love to death.

Elder Sign does not deliver the same experience.

But the experience it *does* deliver is every bit as fun as Arkham Horror, but in different, but equally good ways.

Part of Arkham Horror's uniqueness is in just how difficult a game it is. The game hates you, wants you to suffer, and laughs at your pitiful efforts to thwart it. It makes for an intense gaming session where even just one game will take hours and usually leave you feeling exhausted afterwards. There's a certain beauty to that play style that makes Arkham Horror worth playing.

Elder Sign, in contrast, merely dislikes you. It's enough to make it not a guaranteed win, but you never feel like the game is somehow sentient and finding ways to specifically screw you over. While your victory chances in Arkham Horror get to around 50% (at best), judging by my first few games of Elder Sign, your chances of winning are more around 75%. The game won't do anything to make you glare at it with hate and loathing which can actually can be a plus. It won't make it boring either, as those darn die have a habit of not ever rolling what you're going for (I once got all spell Icons on the sole mission that had no spell's whatsoever. DOH).

Arkham Horror is unique in just how immersed you will feel in the setting. Elder Sign could not replicate that fully, but it does a good job of giving a sufficient feel for the theme. There's more lore on the missions and monsters, which doesn't quite make up for the Encounters, but does fine for its size. If you want a quick fix of Lovecraftian Horror, Elder Sign fits the niche perfectly.

But by far Elder Signs biggest advantage over Arkham is its size, speed, and accessibility. Arkham Horror is a MONSTER of a game. I've dedicated a LOT of time to getting Arkham Horror as concise and organized as possible, so that games can be set up and begun faster, but even with those considerations, Arkham takes, at best, 20 minutes to set up. And then Arkham takes over your entire table - truth be told, I do not have a table in my house that could hold Arkham and all its expansions. Even one expansion pushes the available table space in my home. At the place we hold our gaming group, it can still barely fit on the large table. And then, once you're done, you're in for the long haul, playing a massive game that takes a long time to teach, and a much longer time to play, with games averaging 2 hours and sometimes spiraling much longer. It's just a big friggen game.

Elder Sign you can set up in 5 (if you're slow), and fit a full game on one small table, and be done with first time players in under an hour. That advantage is HUGE. While it won't replace Arkham as my big epic game, the fact that I can sit down, set up, play, and tear down in an hour is such a big advantage that it seems likely to me that Elder Sign will be getting a lot more play t my house than Arkham Horror will, just due to size and time constraints alone!

So, in short, Elder Sign is no replacement for Arkham Horror, but it's a perfectly fine game in its own right, a lot of fun, and still dripping delightfully with the eldritch abominations we love so much. I'd highly recommend it.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#3 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6820 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:09 PM

Tell me more about the other game. Also about the gameplay of this one.

I finally got rid of that big white box.

#4 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33613 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:33 PM

If you haven't played Pandemic, you should. It's all of the players working together to defeat the board game, and it's actually a legitimately challenging premise. I've played a couple of times and only won once. It's such a creative and interesting game dynamic the way it's collaborative, and even with all the planning and working together, you're still very much with your backs to the wall the whole time.

Legitimate question for people with lots of board games though: where the hell do you store them? We have ours in a cabinet we're going to get rid of soon. Do you put your games in a closet someplace, knowing that it's challenging to dig through when you have people over and want to play? What about in a toybox sort of thing someplace? We're struggling to come up with a good idea for them.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#5 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10514 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:44 PM

I'd like to give a PSA about Ascension. It's a game I played once at PAX and instantly fell in love with. Basically it's a deck-building game like Dominion, only instead of ten static piles of cards to buy, you have dozen of different cards coming from a randomized central deck.

In this game, there are two temporary resources; Runes and Power, and one permanent resource: Honor. You use runes to buy Heroes and Constructs and power to defeat monsters. Every card you buy has an honor value, and you get honor tokens from defeating monsters. When you buy a card, it goes into your discard pile and gets shuffled into your deck when you run out of cards (and given that you draw 5 a turn and only start with 10 cards, you'll run out of cards a lot). Heroes are one use cards that have an effect (Like "Gain 1 Rune and Draw a Card" or "Gain 3 Power" and at the end of your turn go into your discard pile. Constructs, once played, stay out until another effect (from using a hero or construct or slaying a monster) says to discard them. So you basically get a continual effect with them. Some are small (Like "Once per turn, gain 1 power") while others are huge (Like "Banish this card to gain another turn") Monsters also have additional effects from slaying them, from gaining additional runes, to drawning cards, or forcing other players to discard constructs.

You start with 8 1 Rune cards (Aprentices) and 2 1 power cards (Militia) and in addition to the cards on the board (there are always six on the board, drawn from the main deck) you can always spend 2 runes for a Heavy Infantry (2 Power), 3 runes for a Mystic (3 Runes) or spend 2 power to kill the cultist (Rewards 1 honor) from the "always available" section.

I've found the game really fun, though the random element does mean that occasionally you're going to have a crappy game. When it works, though, it works well.

MSzBav1.jpg

#6 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21478 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE(ultra magnus13 @ Sep 27 2011, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell me more about the other game. Also about the gameplay of this one.

Gladly!

ARKHAM HORROR

That's a pic of Arkham Horror all set up. The best way to describe it is a board adventure RPG. You choose your character at the beginning of the game, and your character has stats that are paired and inversed, so for example, if you want your best speed stat, you have to minimize your sneaking stat. These can change through the game, so the primary balance is getting your stats to the right place. You travel around the board, dodging monsters and having encounters at locations - essentially mini-stories that will have you make a choice or a dice check to succeede. You get weapons and stuff all with the purpose of trying to prevent the Ancient One (which changes per game) from awakening. You have to travel through and seal 6 gates which the game opens up randomly on the board, but doing that is harder than it sounds. It's a pretty darn huge epic game, as I mentioned in the Elder Sign review, but it's worth the time investment (and cash, it's an expensive game!).

ELDER SIGN

Arkham Horror's little brother is more of a dice based card game. You're traveling to different rooms in a museum, where you roll die and match their symbols to complete tasks. You're still trying to stop the awakening of the Ancient One, though in this one, your collecting Elder Signs to do it. It's less complex and a lot of fun, and not as RPG-ish as Arkham Horror is. If you have people who aren't patient enough for a full game of Arkham Horror, it's a good substitute, and it's also a lot easier to look up after.

That's just two quick write ups, feel free to ask more about em!

ty3jHaa.jpg

#7 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21478 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Sep 27 2011, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you haven't played Pandemic, you should. It's all of the players working together to defeat the board game, and it's actually a legitimately challenging premise. I've played a couple of times and only won once. It's such a creative and interesting game dynamic the way it's collaborative, and even with all the planning and working together, you're still very much with your backs to the wall the whole time.

I played Pandemic for the first time at our gaming group last weekend. It KICKED OUR ASS. The first game literally lasted two turns before we lost. Yeah. That bad. Some really bad draws. The second time, it destroyed us before we really had a chance to get our strategy going - we ran out of cards to draw! If it let us reshuffle, we could have contained it, but the game's a dick like that. icon-waspy.gif

Legitimate question for people with lots of board games though: where the hell do you store them? We have ours in a cabinet we're going to get rid of soon. Do you put your games in a closet someplace, knowing that it's challenging to dig through when you have people over and want to play? What about in a toybox sort of thing someplace? We're struggling to come up with a good idea for them.

I've got a shelf reserved for them in my closet. It's a big shelf in a big closet, but I only keep my games there. The family games (Monopoly, Clue, Ect). we keep in a different closet and dig through them. There really isn't a good way that I know of, sorry!

ty3jHaa.jpg

#8 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21478 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE(Undead Scottsman @ Sep 27 2011, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to give a PSA about Ascension. It's a game I played once at PAX and instantly fell in love with. Basically it's a deck-building game like Dominion, only instead of ten static piles of cards to buy, you have dozen of different cards coming from a randomized central deck.

In this game, there are two temporary resources; Runes and Power, and one permanent resource: Honor. You use runes to buy Heroes and Constructs and power to defeat monsters. Every card you buy has an honor value, and you get honor tokens from defeating monsters. When you buy a card, it goes into your discard pile and gets shuffled into your deck when you run out of cards (and given that you draw 5 a turn and only start with 10 cards, you'll run out of cards a lot). Heroes are one use cards that have an effect (Like "Gain 1 Rune and Draw a Card" or "Gain 3 Power" and at the end of your turn go into your discard pile. Constructs, once played, stay out until another effect (from using a hero or construct or slaying a monster) says to discard them. So you basically get a continual effect with them. Some are small (Like "Once per turn, gain 1 power") while others are huge (Like "Banish this card to gain another turn") Monsters also have additional effects from slaying them, from gaining additional runes, to drawning cards, or forcing other players to discard constructs.

You start with 8 1 Rune cards (Aprentices) and 2 1 power cards (Militia) and in addition to the cards on the board (there are always six on the board, drawn from the main deck) you can always spend 2 runes for a Heavy Infantry (2 Power), 3 runes for a Mystic (3 Runes) or spend 2 power to kill the cultist (Rewards 1 honor) from the "always available" section.

I've found the game really fun, though the random element does mean that occasionally you're going to have a crappy game. When it works, though, it works well.

Ooh, that sounds fun!

I've recently been investing in Dominion because everybody at our group likes it, and it's one of the few games I can get my mom to play with me (and she really likes it). Ascension sounds like a similar, more strategy based version, and I'd love to give it a shot!

ty3jHaa.jpg

#9 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

.....dammit.

I have an armoire FULL of board games. They range in age from preschool to...Axis and Allies. I'm still not sure i'm old enough to play that game and I'm over 30...icon-waspy.gif

And why, WHY did you have to show me that pirate game? I'm going to HAVE to own it now.

At the moment beyond Hungry Hungry Hippos and a couple of the smaller Lego games they don't really get played yet, as my boys aren't at quite the age to be able to get into them, and frankly none of my local friends are interested. I may have to see what I can do to rectify that.

I've got a few interesting games I've found over the years, including a Donkey Kong board game(with little plastic barrels!) and a rather quirky game called Stop! Thief! that uses an old electric device to help you track down the thief.

I think i'll be looking into several of the game mentioned here, regardless if they just end up gathering dust in the armoire.

#10 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33613 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

I own Dominion but haven't yet played it, but have played Ascension and was told it was "Dominion Lite." Ascension was a lot of fun, so it gets another vote from me - it seems so ridiculously complicated, but you actually really figure it out and get a solid game in within about 30 minutes. It's super easy to pick up the basics, and you can even get a hang of some "good strategy" by the time you're done. Highly recommended. And I look forward to trying Dominion, but haven't had the time yet.

Also going to toss out "Last Night on Earth" and "Lunch Money" out there. LNoE is a simple little zombie sort of RPG game that feels like playing a B movie. LM is a card game that's like having a playground brawl (the theme of that one kept me from playing it for a while, but the mechanics work really well and it's a fun time regardless).

Tried Arkham Horror once. It was good, but it's super complicated and takes a while to really learn and get the hang of. If you have a dedicated group of people willing to put in the time over a few sessions playing it, it'd be pretty fun.

Otherwise, Risk is always good! icon-fire.gif

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#11 Mako Crab

Mako Crab
  • Citizen
  • 3810 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

Clue is my favorite board game of all time. Don't need anything else. icon-hotrod.gif

#12 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10514 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(Master Fwiffo @ Sep 27 2011, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Undead Scottsman @ Sep 27 2011, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooh, that sounds fun!

I've recently been investing in Dominion because everybody at our group likes it, and it's one of the few games I can get my mom to play with me (and she really likes it). Ascension sounds like a similar, more strategy based version, and I'd love to give it a shot!

I forgot to toss up a link, silly me. http://www.ascensiongame.com

MSzBav1.jpg

#13 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21478 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

So I got a Godzilla Board game. I don't know whether to put in this thread or the Godzilla Thread.... Eh, this one needs more posts. icon-fire.gif

Godzilla: Kaiju World Wars - there's not a lot of strategy. The rulebooks kind of a mess.

But dude. You flatten a city with giant monsters and beat each other up over the ruins. And if you're not grinning like a 6-year-old while doing it, you're not doing it right. The minatures are great, and the dual-card combat system is inventive, and it frankly, it just rules. I would recommend this game, but I got it expensive, so I'd recommend finding it cheap if you can.

ty3jHaa.jpg

#14 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:18 PM

Oh hey, could we talk about trading card games in here?

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#15 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21478 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE(Unfair Fight @ Sep 30 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh hey, could we talk about trading card games in here?

No. Doing so will risk a permanent ban. And our eternal scorn. icon-waspy.gif

(Of course! Feel Free!)

ty3jHaa.jpg

#16 Boo

Boo

Ow! My back! MY BACK!!

• Citizen
  • 3622 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:50 PM

Back home, my wife and two other couples (sometime three) would get together pretty regularly for game nights. I miss those guys.icon-screamer.gif

Anyway... the one game that was guaranteed to make us all laugh like little girls was good ol' Mad Gab. Me, Todd, and Ryan were such an awesome team. I was the straight man who actually deciphered most (all) the answers while they went off on all kinds of funny tangents trying make me piss my pants. We always slaughtered the wives.icon-hotrod.gif

As for actual board games... I really like Ticket To Ride. My buddy Ryan has like all the expansions.

Dominion is great. Only ever played with the base set, but the expansions look really good too.

My wife and I love Dutch Blitz. It's a card game she found at college. Always a good fast paced game. My nieces and sister loved it, too.

Now I'm really starting to miss Cleveland. icon-screamer.gif

#17 Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo

HUZZAH!

• Retired Staff
  • 21478 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:09 AM

Giving this a bump to discuss my new favorite Board Game, which is also my favorite Video Game:

STARCRAFT.

Good Lord, look at the size of that box. This game is rightfully huge and epic. It's so big, I had to tape the rule book, player aides, player mats, and more to the roof to get it all to fit:

Except I do it with style.

So anyway, as you might guess, this is a strategy war game with a couple unique and interesting features. It's kinda like Axis and Allies, but much smoother and doesn't lull into "Oh God he's taking an hour for his turn again".

But first, the main reason I bought this. TOYS.

You literally get little figures for almost every unit in original PC game - exceptions are workers and transports (which are represented by tokens) and Observers (which are a card).

And you get a lot of them. As a small example, here's Jim Raynor's entire Terran Army.

You get six of those - two for each race. And the Zerg ones have more.

Game Over Man, Game Over!

The board itself is modular

Once you have the expansion in (Oh yes, the Expansion is in here too), you have 18 planets to mix and match. Official rules call for 2 planets per player, so when you get one set up, it'll look like this.

The game is mostly about resource management and, interestingly enough, timing. You place Orders, 4 per turn, on the planets you plan to execute them on. The orders stack, and must be revealed in reverse order on the stack, so that the last order placed is the first one executed. That makes up a lot of the strategy of the game, when to place your orders right to execute them properly is critical, and as we learned in my big 6 player game at the Con I bought this from, screwing up your orders early can have devastating consequences early on.

Base management is also critically important. Bases are in your play area, and look like this:

There's a looooooot of cardboard chits in the bag. ere is where you spend the resources you've fought for, build units, reseaarch upgrades, and make enhancements to your bases. It works very smoothly once you learn the system, and is fairly interesting.

Battles are most similar again to Axis and Allies. When you invade a region, Battles take place over a series of skirmishes pitting one lead unit against another lead unit, with support units and leftover units serving as backup. With my handy-dandy battle chart I printed out, that Bug Hunt looks a little like this:

Those poor marines are getting stomped. Combat strength is determined by cards selected and placed face-down. These cards share the same backs as your researches and upgrades, and are shuffled in as you buy them, allowing your strength to grow. It's pretty cool actually.

While the game is intimidatingly huge and complex, after you get the hang of it, it smooths out really nicely and becomes a suitably epic game. I haven't played it enough times to get a good aproximate play time down, but I think it'll end up being about 2 hours a play. But because of the order system, you're almost always doing something - you're never just waiting for your turn to come around (or someone to attack you). It's a fair game and a lot of fun.

Sadly, it's been discontinued due to Hasbro snatching the Blizzard liscence from FFG. I got the base game second hand in top-notch (entirely complete and undamaged, only minor wear on the box) condition for $50 (from a base price of well over $100), and picked up the Brood War expansion mint for half retail as well - for the size of the game and the complexity involved and the amount I expect to enjoy it, well worth it. If you can find it (and manage to grab it cheap), I'd highly recommend it for serious war gamers or serious Starcraft fans (of which I am both!)

ty3jHaa.jpg

#18 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26217 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

I'm all about Settlers of Catan and Bang!

Anybody remember Omega Virus from back in the day?

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#19 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 26217 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

I'm all about Settlers of Catan and Bang!

Anybody remember Omega Virus from back in the day?

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#20 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

1. Where does one find the Starcraft board game?

2. I recently reviewed our games armoire, I have 7 different versions copies of Monopoly, from sets that are just hella old that I found at yard sales to themed versions(Mario, Transformers, etc).

I do love playing Monopoly, though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users