Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (23 January 2018 - 07:02 AM)

He's actually interfacing with the public and is generally charismatic. He's no more effective than harper, but at least he can work a room.

@  Locoman : (23 January 2018 - 12:39 AM)

-shrugs- He says the right things more often, at least.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2018 - 11:03 PM)

Well is Trudeau an improvement over Harper?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 10:54 PM)

Most of the country is sick of trudeau, they very well might get in anyway. Might as well vote for the shmuck who actually wants to do good, but will accidentally screw it up, over the shmucks who'll lie about it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 07:14 PM)

Voting NDP is how the Conservatives get in, though

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 07:12 PM)

because the road to hell is, after all, paved with good intentions.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 07:12 PM)

There isn't one of those in this lot. Vote for the one whom won't deliberately do damage... so NDP.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 07:09 PM)

I usually feel an obligation to vote in any election, but I honestly won't know who to vote for next time around. I don't like any of them, and I think the best we can hope for is someone who won't do any more damage

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 07:04 PM)

Pretending to try to figure out how to undo the absolutely flawless system of wealth concentration they and their predecessors designed

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 07:04 PM)

Well, they're all off to Davos now, supposedly to lament the horribly skewed wealth distribution that's gotten even worse since last year's meeting

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 07:03 PM)

Conversely, being impressed by politicians isn't something you should be happy about.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 07:02 PM)

The other side of the canadian coin right now is a harper clone. If trudeau runs again, the choice is NDP or liberal. It all depends on how the NDP plays out under the new guy, but so far I am unimpressed.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 07:00 PM)

I don't disagree. Trudeau is a clown and he's been a huge disappointment. I was naive enough to believe he'd actually stick to his word and do something to help the middle class. He's never getting my vote again

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 07:00 PM)

This little raptor is freaking BOSS! Also, I've been drinking, so kinda mellow.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 07:00 PM)

Been playing with slash for the last hour though, totally worth it.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 06:59 PM)

After duties and the exchange AND shipping. I'm not even going to bother appealing, it'll take ages and achieve nothing.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 06:59 PM)

I assuming it was toys, and those have a 0% duty rate even when the object isn't of North American manufacture. In that case, it just should've been taxes and the processing fee

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 06:58 PM)

We won't get it. Nothing the trudeau government has done has actually helped the end level canadian citizen, and with trump on the other side: it'll only get worse.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 06:58 PM)

Wonko, if you feel the customs weren't assessed properly you can always contact them to appeal. Generally, the fee should only be taxes (GST/QST in your case) + duties (if applicable, depending on the type of item where it was made) + Canada Post's processing fee. If the item was properly valued on the parcel, it usually shouldn't reach paid twice territory

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 06:49 PM)

One of the things I'm hoping comes out of these NAFTA talks (assuming they don't kill it) is Canada adopting an increased duty-free limit. $20 compared to the American's $800 is really ridiculous

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 06:47 PM)

Stuff sent via more expensive shipping methods, though, might attract their attention more often

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 06:46 PM)

Although it might depend what method it was sent via USPS. Pretty much the only things I receive from the US anymore in Canada are sent First Class Parcel (which is trackable), and I don't think Customs really scrutinizes those ones that much

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 06:41 PM)

In fact I almost never get charged. Only when the stated value on the package is in the extreme range, like $300 or more

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 06:41 PM)

Strange the duties were so high. I've been hit by UPS with their insane fees, but I've always had good experiences with USPS and Canada Post

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 05:36 PM)

USPS then canada post.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 January 2018 - 05:25 PM)

Very carefully, I hope

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 January 2018 - 03:32 PM)

How was it delivered?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 02:24 PM)

the duties pushed the cost of it into "paid twice" range.

@  Benbot : (22 January 2018 - 02:06 PM)

Well, at least hospitalization won't send you into bankruptcy. There's always that.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 January 2018 - 01:52 PM)

o.O

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 01:40 PM)

And not happy anymore. 40 bucks on duties. Free trade my ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (22 January 2018 - 11:26 AM)

Yay! I should get my package from BBTS today!

@  Arazyr : (22 January 2018 - 10:50 AM)

Okay, now I get the snake thing. Thanks for the Pokemon reference. It was a bit after my time... 8^)

@  CastletonSnob : (22 January 2018 - 08:05 AM)

This is a Transformers fansite. Do you like big bots and you cannot lie?

@  Telly : (22 January 2018 - 03:32 AM)

no. was just making a silly/stupid joke

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2018 - 03:22 AM)

Onyx is a stone. Onix is a rock snake. Do you even Pokemon, bro?

@  Telly : (22 January 2018 - 02:44 AM)

could be a rock made of snakes. we just dont know!

@  Foffy : (22 January 2018 - 02:15 AM)

He is a snake made of rock, though

@  Jetstream C-18 : (21 January 2018 - 08:56 PM)

No, Onyx is a snake.

@  Arazyr : (21 January 2018 - 01:12 PM)

Something I only just "got" last night: Of course IDW's GB Blackrock is associated with Onyx Prime. Onyx is a black rock.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 January 2018 - 07:37 AM)

Bet a lot of military people won't want to work this monday. ;(

@  Pennpenn : (21 January 2018 - 07:27 AM)

It seems sort of intuitive for a lot of people because it's the first day in the week that you're working.

@  Nevermore : (21 January 2018 - 04:54 AM)

Germany considers Monday the first day of the week.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 January 2018 - 01:34 AM)

The judge obviously had a more material motive than the one he claimed, there need to be some serious investigation of that case.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2018 - 05:04 PM)

The reason is even worse. :(

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 January 2018 - 04:34 PM)

That moron is a shame to his profession.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2018 - 09:34 AM)

I just think a Judge going on and Jury Tampering, trying to make the Jury think a sex taffiker is innocent is sickening. *won't say why he did that as that goes in P&R*

@  Sabrblade : (20 January 2018 - 09:21 AM)

Heh, the schedules for my work weeks begin with Saturday

@  wonko the sane? : (20 January 2018 - 07:01 AM)

Thing about the US is... you can say that any time you want as much as you want. You're still going to get shot, but it might not be because you said that though.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (20 January 2018 - 02:20 AM)

You just did.

Photo
- - - - -

Terra Nova

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#1 Shigoto

Shigoto
  • Citizen
  • 782 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

Well, I just watched the first episode last night, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. It should be right up my alley, I've always loved Dinosaurs(hell I even enjoyed JP3), and I'm a big sci-fi buff. But i'm still not sure if it will be worth my time.

To start it's a FOX show, which just means that if it actually gets good, it's going to be canceled in about 2 months. Did anybody else watch it? if so what were your thoughts?

Shigi

#2 DeltaSeeker

DeltaSeeker
  • Supporter
  • 4676 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

I was really excited to see it. First half kept my attention, but the second half just became background noise. I like the premise, and the possibility of a good show is there, but the pilot really didn't do much but set up the status quo. I'll give the show a few episodes to see what they do with it.
signature.gif

#3 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 7524 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

My DVR forgot to record it.

Sounds like another borefest along the same lines as Falling Skies.

#4 Jesse (M_P)

Jesse (M_P)

Built of iron and steel

• Citizen
  • 15286 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

I thought the show was a piece of jive. They blew the majority of their production budget in the first 10 mins of the first episode, introduced the dinosaurs to you by letting you "hear" them instead of "see" them, and it has characters that you don't care about. Pile on the prick teenagers, throw in ideas from Lost, jivey CGI and set design (You can literally see the OSB they used on the roofs of some of the huts, and then they just covered it in leaves and grass) and you get a show that's way too expensive and will be cancelled before all 13 episodes get to air. FOX NEVER, EVER sticks with high budget shows. Fastlane, whether you liked it or not, was a high budget show, it got shuffled, moved to Friday, and cancelled. I see this show having the same fate.
Former TF Collector, now a Harley owner

#5 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Administrator
  • 33582 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

I think I DVR'd this. I have low expectations and even lower hopes for it.

Colonizing the past to solve overpopulation just sounds like a ridiculous premise that would just create a hugely obvious paradox, and I'm personally curious as to whether or not they'll even address the issue at all since it mostly looks like the pitch for the show was "let's make a show with dinosaurs!"

I'll check it out in case it's not as bad as all that though.

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#6 Asquian

Asquian
  • Supporter
  • 21605 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

I'm going to check it out when I have time, but overall it looks like something I'd like. There's actually been quite a few good shows starting this season(and one that had slipped under my radar last season that I only just discovered last week), to the point that I'm actually behind in watching them all due to my surprisingly busy schedule. Maybe this weekend at the latest I can get caught up and give a proper impression.

#7 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 15423 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Galenraff @ Sep 27 2011, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Colonizing the past to solve overpopulation just sounds like a ridiculous premise that would just create a hugely obvious paradox, and I'm personally curious as to whether or not they'll even address the issue at all since it mostly looks like the pitch for the show was "let's make a show with dinosaurs!"

They so explain that, actually, because I thought the same thing.
It's a different time stream. So its the past, but an alternate past.

They're messing up someone else's future, which is completely acceptable.

Edited by NICKSTART, 27 September 2011 - 11:19 AM.

Http://www.scatterville.com

#8 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 15863 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

DVR'd it. But then read a metric ton of abysmal reviews about poor writing and dialogue, plus boring and annoying characters... not sure I'll even get around to watching it...

-ZacWilliam, for sci-fi TV right now likes Dr Who, Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Haven, and sometimes Primeval and Sanctuary. Given that half of them have just about finished their run till sometime next year or perminantly I REALLY wish there was more Sci Fi shows starting up. (Haven better get renewed!)
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#9 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3351 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Sep 27 2011, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the question that I've got (I admit I only watched the first 10 minutes of so)...

How do they know the time machine works? If you can only go backwards, how do you know it doesn't just incinerate you? I figured the best way to do this would be to leave a "message in a bottle" for the future, but that doesn't work if it's in a separate timeline.

#10 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 10248 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

The portal itself seems to work like a Stargate; matter can only travel one-way, but signals can be sent back (there was talk of notifying the future about the Sixers, except that Taylor doesn't know who in the future he can trust, since someone must've sent the Sixers). Presumeably, that's how they figured out the alternate-timeline detail, since they could still receive telemetry from the probe (so they knew it had arrived intact, even if they couldn't find any trace of it in their present).

I loved it; the beginning did an excellent job of setting up the dying Earth, while we saw just enough of the dinosaurs to establish them (they're not a tourist attraction; they're local wildlife. We're not going to be Walking With Dinosaurs for 50 minutes each episode. There are other shows for that). It looks like Taylor's "MIA" son is going to be the unseen big bad (Mira establishes that he's the one who's been leaving the geometric glyphs around the waterfall --and Taylor seems to know this, and is deliberately keeping the Novans from visiting the area). The Sixers are also a big puzzle; their departure was too well-organized and cohesive (they all came through on the same pilgrimage) to be a random group of malcontents.

I also love that we actually get to see futuristic vehicles instead of everyone having to walk everywhere (or worse, having them inexplicably using 21st-century trucks).

#11 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 15871 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

I didn't bother watching it, but I've heard one bit of pointlessly bad science already (as in, there's no need to make up something when reality is just fine). They say the stars look different because the universe expanded in the intervening 85 million years. Um...not as such. A few percent expansion of the universe would not in itself make the constellations look different. But the real explanation is simpler anyway: stars move.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#12 DeltaSeeker

DeltaSeeker
  • Supporter
  • 4676 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Cybersnark @ Sep 27 2011, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the beginning did an excellent job of setting up the dying Earth,

I did really like that beginning of this. The show opens on a view from space of a dust covered, red-tinted world, and I'm thinking, "Why are they showing us Mars? Wait... that's Earth?!" icon-hotrod.gif

signature.gif

#13 Orc

Orc
  • Citizen
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Sep 27 2011, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if this is the case, isn't there still a mass-extinction causing giant astroid on the way to the earth to wipe out the dinosaurs?

I haven't seen the show, I'm just curious how they plan on dealing with that?

#14 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 7524 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:22 PM

If they're 85 million years in the past, they won't have to worry about the Chicxulub impact for another 20 million years.

#15 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 15423 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:54 PM

Honestly, I think alot of people are just assuming things about the show instead of watching it. Sure, its not Shakespeare but its not total jive either. I mean, post apocalyptic future world, time travel, dinosaurs? I'm on board.

#16 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1955 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(Shigoto @ Sep 27 2011, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To start it's a FOX show, which just means that if it actually gets good, it's going to be canceled in about 2 months.

What, like House, Prison Break, Dollhouse & Fringe

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Sep 27 2011, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I REALLY wish there was more Sci Fi shows starting up.

Fringe and The Clone Wars

QUOTE(Xaaron @ Nov 21 2011, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TF Fans draw so many lines, it looks like a frackin' zebra.

#17 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 15423 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

Dollhouse may not be the best example. I would have thrown 24 in that list though.

#18 CT-5555

CT-5555

Please, call me Fives

• Supporter
  • 1955 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE(NICKSTART @ Sep 27 2011, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dollhouse may not be the best example. I would have thrown 24 in that list though.

Oh yeah, forgot about old Bauer. I mentioned Dollhouse as Fox could have quite easily pulled the plug after 1 season, but they didn't
QUOTE(Xaaron @ Nov 21 2011, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TF Fans draw so many lines, it looks like a frackin' zebra.

#19 NICK TYRANNO

NICK TYRANNO

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 15423 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Gotcha. Its true.

#20 Jesse (M_P)

Jesse (M_P)

Built of iron and steel

• Citizen
  • 15286 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Proper Dave @ Sep 27 2011, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Shigoto @ Sep 27 2011, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To start it's a FOX show, which just means that if it actually gets good, it's going to be canceled in about 2 months.

What, like House, Prison Break, Dollhouse & Fringe

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Sep 27 2011, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I REALLY wish there was more Sci Fi shows starting up.

Fringe and The Clone Wars

None of those have the insane budget that this show has.
Former TF Collector, now a Harley owner