Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Di. Di. Di. Digimon General. Digimon General.

2985 replies to this topic

#21 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23891 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Yes he was. Where the hell is D-Arts Beelzemon Blast Mode?

#22 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35133 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:19 PM

It doesn't look there will be any more Digimon D-Arts. Which is sad.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#23 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12433 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Sep 2 2011, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We've seen prototypes for MetalGarurumon, Dukemon, Diaboromon & there was a pic of Beelzemon Blast Mode a while back.
Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#24 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10677 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

I was a fan of Seasons 1-3, but couldn't really get into any season after that. I have quite a few old digivices and electronic pet toys (Japanese ones), though, including a pretty cool toy version of Izzy's Pineapple laptop that you can actually plug some of the other things into and "analyze" them, unlocking the data on the laptop.

#25 Lancer

Lancer

I don't care

• Citizen
  • 24781 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

They were probably cancelled because otaku really don't give a care about figures that aren't of girls.

#26 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35133 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Paladin @ Sep 2 2011, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We've seen prototypes for MetalGarurumon, Dukemon, Diaboromon & there was a pic of Beelzemon Blast Mode a while back.

and we haven't seen them in how long?

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#27 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

There are not any on the horizon, but that doesn't mean we'll never get more.
Look how long it took to get a Vegeta out of figuarts.

Although, I was hoping Digimon would be the Kamen Rider of D-arts.
It still could end up that way. D-arts is a slow line and I don't think we know of anything beyond this year.

#28 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12433 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Sep 2 2011, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How long did it take WarGreymon to go from prototype to release?
Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#29 Ashley

Ashley

The nerd formerly known as Waspinator

• Citizen
  • 23891 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

Yeah, they might not be cancelled. Just a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly slow release schedule.

#30 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35133 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE(Paladin @ Sep 2 2011, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not as long as MetalGarurumon.

And also, I missed this.

EDIT - I'd feel better about the delay on getting new figures if we hadn't seen Zero, Armor X, and Izanagi go from being conceptualized to being ready for release. We saw MetalGarurumon back at the same time as WarGreymon, and Dukemon over a year ago. It doesn't feel like they're happening.

I would have agree with Sagomon just feeling like an un-needed rehash of Shawujingmon, but then I looked at their designs side by side and discovered they aren't just hueswaps.

It's not that their designs aren't different. I LIKE Sagomon's design. But his profile and attacks are either identical to Shawujingmon's or what he already has just with "added" bits.

His design is great. He'd totally work as Shawujingmon's more savage counterpart. But he's not and he isn't. That's what's disappointing.

Edited by Razorsaw, 02 September 2011 - 03:39 PM.

#31 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(Paladin @ Sep 2 2011, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, to play devil's advocate, Bandai does have a habit of showing stuff at toy shows and then not releasing it for years, if ever.
The SHowa Era Riders are the only ones I know that actually came out after disappearing for a few years.

edit: and the previously mentioned Vageta.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 02 September 2011 - 03:41 PM.

#32 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35133 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

Anyway, because I thought it might be fun, and because so few people look at Digimon past Adventure or Tamers, I'd like to sort of do this thing where I look at later or less looked at aspects of the franchise.

Today's focus: The Olympus Twelve.

Also known as "The Twelve Gods of Olympus", they're the first (edit: MAJOR)* Ultimate/Mega level digimon group to be introduced after the Royal Knights. Just as with the Royal Knights, the Olympus Twelve haven't had their ranks completed, and Bandai has slowly been filling them in over the years. The Olympus Twelve are a group with equal power to the Royal Knights, though they maintain a neutral standpoint by remaining in the shadows instead of getting involved in incidents.

The first member of the Olympus Twelve to be introduced was Marsmon.

Marsmon was introduced in Digimon World 3, which was released at the tail end of Digimon Savers/Season 3. In this game, he was the final form of the newly introduced Bearmon, who was briefly known as Kumamon in the states before the name was reassigned to the Human Spirit of Ice. Marsmon set the standard for the Olympus Twelve being digimon of the "God Man" type, and as looking like generally humanoid figures wearing animal skins, pelts, or armor. He also established that they would all be named after the Latin forms of the Olympian Gods.

In terms of Bandai lore, Marsmon is characterized as a dirty fighter and combat expert, who excels in knowledge of all known battle techniques. His attack, Corona Sanctions, releases waves of fire from his burning body.

The three to follow were Mercurimon, Minervamon, and Neptunemon.

All three of these were first seen in the Digimon card game. Among them, Mercurimon went on to appear in Digimon Savers, where he was renamed "Merukimon" in the dub due to the fact that his name was similar to the existing digimon Mercurymon (in Japan, Mercurimon's name is derived from "Mercurius", and Mercurymon is known as "Mercuremon", the french word for mercury. Thus, their names were technically dissimilar).

Mercurimon/Merukimon is characterized as a fleet footed digimon who is only seen as an after image left in his wake. He can hit the enemy with a barrage of fast punches ("Thousand Fist"), or release spirits from his sword Aztec. Neptunemon, meanwhile, dwells at the bottom of the digital world's sea, "the "Net Ocean", and wields a sentient spear known as the King's Bite. Minervamon, however, is written as being very different from her mythological counterpart, and is stated to be childish with extreme good and bad moods. Her over-sized sword is called Olympia.

Though Mercurimon got a starring role in Savers, Neptunemon and Marsmon have only had minor roles in Xros Wars. Minervamon however...

Minervamon grew up. Into Mervamon, named after the Etruscan goddess that served as a basis for Minerva/Athena. Mervamon is less an evolution of Minervamon and more a transformation of her, taken after Minervamon matured (durr hurr hurr). In this form, she retains her sword as the "Olympia Kai" and gained a snake shaped, sentient shield by the name of Medullia.

Mervamon became a main character in the second half of Xros Wars.

Finally, we come to Apollomon and Dianamon.

Apollomon and Dianamon made their debut in "Digimon World Dawn" and "Dusk" for the Nintendo DS, where they served as the final forms of the games' respective mascots, Coronamon and Lunamon. They carried on the "animal" theme of their fellow Olympus Twelve members, but seemed to have dropped the "clad in pelts" design aspect. Apollomon is based on a lion and the god of the sun, while Dianamon and her evolution line take from the theme of rabbits and their connection to the moon. Further defining them as opposite numbers are the fact that Apollomon embodies fire while Dianamon embodies ice.

Apollomon has since appeared in Xros Wars, where the details of his appearance are a huge freaking spoiler. As for Dianamon, she and Minervamon are the only members of the Olympus Twelve not to appear in the anime (though Minervamon sorta did, with Mervamon as her proxy). Furthermore, they've never appeared together as a group, though Mercurimon was noted to be an Olympus Twelve member in Savers with the implication the others were off doing things elsewhere.

The future of the Olympus Twelve in the franchise looks bright, what with all of them being brought into the limelight by Xros Wars. The next Digimon Jintrix card set is advertised as containing new Olympus Twelve members, so we'll likely see their ranks added to come November. Will it bring out the remaining six? Well, we've been waiting five years now for those last two Royal Knights, so don't get your hopes up.

*EDIT - My bad; this originally said they were the first digimon group to be introduced after the Royal Knights, but this is incorrect. Other groups like the 4 Holy Beasts, 4 Great Dragons, and Seven Great Demon Kings were established by this point in the franchise as well.

Edited by Razorsaw, 02 September 2011 - 04:23 PM.

#33 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

Speaking of the Olympus 12,
I've been playing Super Xros Wars to practice playing Japanese games in preparation for Re: Digitize, and I just ran into Minervamon.

She's super annoying to a beginner in Japanese like me. She speaks in equal parts Japanese and English, and I can't always tell which one she's using because it seems like she's breaking the normal hiragana/katakana conventions.(Hiragana for Japanese words, Katakatana for foreign words)

I normally just skip her dialog.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 02 September 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#34 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35133 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

One of those characters, then? Oy.

I'd be curious to know what details you could give on the storyline of Super Xros Wars. I have no idea what goes on in it and Lost Evolution.

#35 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Sep 2 2011, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of those characters, then? Oy.

I'd be curious to know what details you could give on the storyline of Super Xros Wars. I have no idea what goes on in it and Lost Evolution.

Haven't played Lost Evolution, but so far in Super Xros Wars the story seem to be about; liberating areas from ROG, restoring power to Sky Fort(the main base), and restoring Supadamon/Spadamon/Spardamon's memories. Although, it doesn't seem like I'm very far in.

Another annoying character in the game is Ballistamon. He speaks exclusively in Katakana. I guess it is supposed to make him seem more robot-y.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 02 September 2011 - 04:38 PM.

#36 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35133 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:42 PM

Aw. Ballistamon's a pretty cool guy in the show. Who are the "ROG"?

Also, what do you guys think of the write up. Is it worth doing more of them?

#37 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12433 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Sep 2 2011, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I enjoy it. Its nice to remember that this franchise is more than just a cartoon we saw sporadically growing up.

#38 Eneon

Eneon
  • Citizen
  • 6166 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Sep 2 2011, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aw. Ballistamon's a pretty cool guy in the show. Who are the "ROG"?

Based on what you've said I can't tell if you have played it, but ROG seems like the main antagonistic force in the game.
If you're battling a Digimon in the main story(not side quests) they're probably a member of it.
From the dialog it seems like their leader* is a Zeed Millenniumon, and they're doing the normal evil organization thing of trying to destroy/take over everything.
Their plan involves the Weapon Digimon(Spadamon is one) and some Ancient Legendary Weapon(which is probably Spadamon).

Ballistamon happens to be my favorite member of Xros Heart. It is hard to resist bug robots.

I personally didn't get anything out of it, but I think it is cool.
There are a lot of people that are completely clueless of that stuff.

*"Biggest Ultimate Boss" or something like that is how the minor level bosses refer to him. "Boss" being the only part in English.

Edited by Silent_Magnus, 02 September 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#39 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35133 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

ZeedMillenniumon, what are you doing? You had your own game series to be a boss of. Let someone else have a turn.

#40 Creedence

Creedence

borf borf

• Citizen
  • 9137 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE(Razorsaw @ Sep 2 2011, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I enjoyed it, since the Digimon Wiki is all kinds of wretched.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users