Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 06:31 PM)

I stopped reading it.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 06:04 PM)

If talking about it here is all it takes to get you, why hasn't the oreo thread killed you yet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. Of your stomach.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

Hey man, how you deal with yo problems is yo bidness.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 04:08 PM)

I did no such thing! I am innocent of the pop tart corruption!

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2018 - 02:57 PM)

You guys made me buy cinnamon roll Pop Tarts today.

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:38 PM)

@D Immortalis Just fill the bag with air first and pop that? XP Oh, and you won't like that I grew up microwaving them more often than actually toasting. ;)

@  Otaku : (16 July 2018 - 02:37 PM)

@MEDdMI Yeah, the even more artificial flavors like S'more are the ones that usually taste good cold. There exceptions... I think it was Sugar Cookie that needed to be toasted...

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 02:19 PM)

And.. Amazon is borked.

@  Donocropolis : (16 July 2018 - 05:55 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw - Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered him and P/CP

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 July 2018 - 01:41 AM)

Repugnus up

@  Paladin : (15 July 2018 - 07:41 PM)

or add peanut butter.

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 07:33 PM)

Nuke them enough in the microwave....?

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 06:43 PM)

if po tarts dont POP then they become a lie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 05:10 PM)

I typically just went for the traditional flavours... I think mostly Rasberry or Strawberry. I'll have to pick up a box next time I'm out

@  MEDdMI : (15 July 2018 - 04:09 PM)

@Otaku I've tried that too with a few of them. I liked the soda flavored ones they had. Too bad they were limited. :(

@  Otaku : (15 July 2018 - 03:48 PM)

@D Immortalis Most Pop-Tarts I like are better eaten frozen... and the only reason I started doing that is because Pop-Tarts commercials told me to try them that way. XD

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 03:03 PM)

woohoo, just got my tickets to see From Ashes To New and Hollywood Undead on the 26th!

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 10:07 AM)

oh wow Jazz has heel spurs.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 July 2018 - 06:32 AM)

That's basically what happened to me. I was on that aisle for completely other reasons, caught sight of them in my peripheral, and then... just couldn't stop thinking about them.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 July 2018 - 02:47 AM)

Hungry for pop tarts now - haven't had those in years

@  D Immortalis : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

anyone that doesnt put theit pop tarts in a toaster is a heretic.

@  unluckiness : (15 July 2018 - 12:32 AM)

Do they still make the cinnamon-brown sugar ones?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:03 PM)

Yup. And?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 08:29 PM)

Aren't Pop Tarts like, totally junk for you by the definition of the word?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 08:27 PM)

Four IS standard... but it's been so long I had forgotten.

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 July 2018 - 07:29 PM)

Bah, wonko, I remember when 4 was STANDARD

@  Paladin : (14 July 2018 - 04:10 PM)

https://twitter.com/NickRoche/status/1018234094310879234 people suck...

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 01:10 PM)

Me: opening a box of pop tarts. "Oh my god! There's FOUR in here?!?! Score!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 10:22 AM)

Well, some people are into shopping, anyway.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 10:22 AM)

Taiwanese Costco also has lots of things that shoppers would want!

@  unluckiness : (14 July 2018 - 10:18 AM)

The Taiwan Costco I visited once was nice but I have to question why our guide thought it'd be a good place to bring tourists.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 July 2018 - 09:40 AM)

Lower prices, lower taxes, bigger selection... yeah, I can see that happening.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 July 2018 - 09:14 AM)

Didn't a Washington Costco make the news a couple years ago for being sheerly flooded with customers from British Columbia?

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 July 2018 - 01:25 AM)

That's cool. There's a Sam's Club in Niagara Falls, where I tend to cross the border, but I've never been in. I'm a Costco member, but not Sam's Club; and unfortunately Costco makes sure there aren't any locations in the US too near the Canadian border

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 07:02 PM)

Nope, not the battle damaged version. He got it from his cousin, whose family has a camping ground in... I wanna say new york state, but I'm probably wrong. Just across the border anyway.

@  Nevermore : (13 July 2018 - 06:36 PM)

Sam's Club exclusive was the battle damaged version, right?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 July 2018 - 06:34 PM)

He's got friends on the other side.

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 July 2018 - 06:08 PM)

where'd your nephew get a US retailer exclusive

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 04:39 PM)

Alright, I managed to identify him. The 2007 voyager class that was apparently exclusive to sam's club.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 04:20 PM)

Well, that was a nice surprise. Me nephew (the 10 year old.) just gave me an optimus prime that's minorly older than he is.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 10:25 AM)

Nah, even better. He'll be a memory of the mission briefing. Just a voice over. Four different figures in the toyline, but not actually in the movie.

@  unluckiness : (13 July 2018 - 10:06 AM)

I am 110% sure that Optimus will show up, even as a transmission or something. At least maybe we can get a cybertronian form this time.

@  Pennpenn : (13 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

At least one Optimus sodding Prime.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 July 2018 - 06:57 AM)

Same way as always: completely unrelated figures and models that weren't even in the movie.

@  unluckiness : (12 July 2018 - 11:47 PM)

I think that's a given, though, given the small number of transformers in Bee Movie, I wonder how they'll fill the toyline

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 July 2018 - 02:07 PM)

Yeah. I'm hoping with the new film, we might get something closer to the deluxe range

@  NotVeryKnightly : (12 July 2018 - 01:20 PM)

Isn't the Masterpiece the only recent VW G1-looking Bee?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 July 2018 - 11:02 AM)

Especially when they are questioned directly and respond by dodging the question.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 July 2018 - 11:01 AM)

Watching hypocrites parade their high ground is equally amusing and cringeworthy.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

MLP Retro Thread

306 replies to this topic

#1 RC85747

RC85747
  • Citizen
  • 724 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

Thought this new place could use a forum in order to reflect on the past of MLP. Remember Humans? Witches? Trolls? Sea Ponies? Remember when ponies could not be taken seriously as an obsession? I barely saw any of it, but you might have.

Remember, the past isn't even past.

#2 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 11179 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:24 AM

Before Friendship is Magic I tried to forget that My Little Pony existed. I still try to forget that stuff from before existed. FiM is pretty much the only value ever derived from the franchise.

#3 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

Cute Irken girls

• Retired Staff
  • 18163 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:17 PM

I grew up watching the original series on Disney channel every afternoon. Though I don't remember a whole lot of episodes. I remember they seemed to constantly be under attack from various baddies, though.

#4 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

update your cookies

• Supporter
  • 58710 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

#5 crazyjw18

crazyjw18

HE TELL ME DRILL WILL PIERCE MUFFINS!

• Citizen
  • 12236 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

I watched some of the original show back when I was very young due to having an older sister, but just barely remembered it. After I fell in love with FiM, I scavenged around online and watched the whole original series. Overall it's not what I would call great, but it has its moments and is a fun watch.

It's got a few suprisingly dark villians , including an immortal demon goat who is trying to enslave Dream Valley and a horned-centaur creature who transforms ponies into horrible mindless beasts and plans to create a night that never ends. Even the less dark villians are pretty heinous, like a penguin who has decided that anyone who can't survive arctic conditions doesn't deserve to live, a woman with a possible addiction to a power enhancing potion who threatens to throw a baby pony into a chasm, a woman who tries to steal baby ponies to make them pets, a witch who steals the youth and magic of ponies to make herself younger....it's all definitely not what I would have thought 80's pony villans would be like. Dream Valley is always a justiposition between cute pony antics and someone trying to kill, enslave, or make all the ponies miserable. It's frankly suprising the ponies aren't all gone.

There's some silly episodes, of course, and many of the villains are swayed by the power of friendship, but it's fun regardless. There's a large cast, but everyone has their own personality, and you eventually get to the point where you can actually keep everyone's name straigt.

#6 Rezo

Rezo
  • Citizen
  • 345 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

I found Rescue at Midnight Castle (Pilot for the first G1 series) rather interesting to watch - it's quite revealing how many concepts and character types were carried over to FiM. Of course it's not 'Great' - by modern (Well, not just modern...) standards, the pacing is fantastically poor, character- and plot-development happen in a 'Ten Seconds Flat' fashion, and the 'Throw in a human kid so the kids can relate to the show' concept that never, ever works because kids don't want to be kids when thinking about the show's fictional universe, they want to be [Enter badass character here] is of course well and truly alive (It was back then and apparently still is, looking at Transformers: Prime... One wonders how FiM managed to avoid this). At the very least, you'd have thought that they'd make it a two-parter, considering the immense amount of content in the episode. As it is, plot/ character development/ introductions are ridiculously rushed.

Still, I certainly don't consider the time spent watching it wasted. It's not - at least not by eighties' cartoon standards - a bad episode, and it gives some really interesting background on just how much of the FiM pilot in particular was, in reality, based on G1. Not just character concepts, but also plot et al.

And the permanently-heard 'It was too cute/ girly/ non-violent' complaint concerning older pony generation cartoons is well and truly demolished for the first series. It's quite a bit more, not less terrifying than FiM.

And the earworms. Can't forget the earworms. Shoo be doo, shoo shoo be doo o/

#7 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 11179 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(Rezo @ Aug 7 2011, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(One wonders how FiM managed to avoid this).

From what I heard, it was one element of the show that Faust was totally inflexible about (thank gog). No humans, no way, no how.

#8 DeadPigmon

DeadPigmon
  • Supporter
  • 12338 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(Pennpenn @ Aug 8 2011, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE(Rezo @ Aug 7 2011, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(One wonders how FiM managed to avoid this).

From what I heard, it was one element of the show that Faust was totally inflexible about (thank gog). No humans, no way, no how.

if only Transformer show producers had the same amount of backbone

#9 Pennpenn

Pennpenn
  • Citizen
  • 11179 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

Probably fiddlier to keep the humans out in Transformers, though. With Pony things you can distance most elements from humans. With Transformers, the need to usually set it on a modern-ish Earth so that the vehicle modes are (mostly) modern and thus appealing to the audience, it's just inevitable that humans are going to get involved at some point. After that, you can't get rid of the little buggers.

The fact that the humans are generally badly implimented is irrelevant.

#10 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 4150 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

The pilot episode, Rescue at Midnight Castle, was by far the best episode of the entire G1 series. The animation style for the ponies and even Megan was really good for an 80's cartoon. I really liked Megan's Ranch style clothes she wore during this pilot episode and the ponies had a lot of good detail in how they were drawn and animated.

The villain, Tirek, was IMO the best villain of the series. It's too bad he only lasted in the pilot episode. I hope that he makes a future appearance in FiM.

But then the animation style went to scrap when Escape from Catrina (the second episode before the movie) aired. The ponies and even Megan were very poorly drawn in comparison to the pilot episode.

And then, the movie came out with the rest of the series following it. The animation style was just as bad as "Escape From Catrina" and Megan now wears frilly clothes that I never cared much for. She is also accompanied by her younger sister and brother. (Note the camera Megan is holding? You know this show is old when you see a camera that uses the old flash cubes. My mom had one of those!)

I didn't mind much the difference in animation style in comparison to the pilot episode when I watched that old G1 series back in the 80's with my little sister. But now, everything from Escape From Catrina, the Movie, and the rest of the G1 series just bugs the crap out of me. The ponies are fatter, have smaller ears, and basically look like malnourished hippos that sound like they have a head cold.

However, the pilot episode "Rescue at Midnight Castle" remains far superior in animation quality than all the rest of the series that followed it in the 80's. The music, animation, and story (as short as it was) is top notch, IMO, for an old 80's cartoon. I just wish the rest of the G1 series had followed that same quality.

#11 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

I never seen the G1 ponies, but seeing how they were made back in the 80s before any real standard of what a cartoon should be was expected, having a dark element wasn't unheard of. Before they realized dark villains might scare the kiddies. (scary, scary mightmare moon icon-screamer.gif )

#12 Robot Viking

Robot Viking

Loot, pillage, burn, watch TV

• Supporter
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

That is one serious animation drop. Was AKOM involved? icon-fire.gif

#13 (Deactivated) Sobana

(Deactivated) Sobana
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

Ya know, when I made my posts, those pictures weren't there. >.>

#14 Rezo

Rezo
  • Citizen
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:41 AM

QUOTE(Guardian Prime @ Aug 7 2011, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The pilot episode, Rescue at Midnight Castle, was by far the best episode of the entire G1 series. The animation style for the ponies and even Megan was really good for an 80's cartoon. I really liked Megan's Ranch style clothes she wore during this pilot episode and the ponies had a lot of good detail in how they were drawn and animated.

<snip images>

The villain, Tirek, was IMO the best villain of the series. It's too bad he only lasted in the pilot episode. I hope that he makes a future appearance in FiM.

<More snips>

But then the animation style went to scrap when Escape from Catrina (the second episode before the movie) aired. The ponies and even Megan were very poorly drawn in comparison to the pilot episode.

And then, the movie came out with the rest of the series following it. The animation style was just as bad as "Escape From Catrina" and Megan now wears frilly clothes that I never cared much for. She is also accompanied by her younger sister and brother. (Note the camera Megan is holding? You know this show is old when you see a camera that uses the old flash cubes. My mom had one of those!)

<OH JESUS CHRIST SNIP IT!>

I didn't mind much the difference in animation style in comparison to the pilot episode when I watched that old G1 series back in the 80's with my little sister. But now, everything from Escape From Catrina, the Movie, and the rest of the G1 series just bugs the crap out of me. The ponies are fatter, have smaller ears, and basically look like malnourished hippos that sound like they have a head cold.

However, the pilot episode "Rescue at Midnight Castle" remains far superior in animation quality than all the rest of the series that followed it in the 80's. The music, animation, and story (as short as it was) is top notch, IMO, for an old 80's cartoon. I just wish the rest of the G1 series had followed that same quality.
Odd how such a drop could occur within the same season, indeed, right between episodes one and two. There's got to be some interesting backstory on that somewhere.

Hm. You know, considering Ms. Faust's personal approach of 'Nightmare Moon is a dark force of whatever that took over Luna' (Inofficial opinion only, of course, but still), Luna's subsequent salvation included, and the fairly obvious relation of that concept to Midnight Castle's Scorpan (Spelling?), it'd be... Not all that surprising if something that references Tirek rather heavily makes an appearance in season 2.

OTOH, NMM may well be considered a merger and reinterpretation of the Scorpan/ Tirek character (Scorpan's willingness to leave his opponents alive and his eventual salvation, Tirek's motives and the manner of his eventual defeat), which would shoot that idea down.

Edited by Rezo, 08 August 2011 - 05:43 AM.

#15 mariomarc

mariomarc
  • Citizen
  • 900 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:57 PM

while i've never seen G1, except for the movie, (which was painful by the way), i can definitely say that it did have something going for it, with the villains mentioned earlier

i really wish those kinds of villains were aloud to exist in today's cartoons, it would really make FIM even better
oh wait they might scare the children, even though, YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AFRAID OF THEM, THEY ARE VILLAINS
I LOVE EVERYPONY!

#16 Seiya Meteorite

Seiya Meteorite
  • Protoform
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:04 PM

11kl891.jpgiqbxqv.jpg
29vdy1c.jpg

2r40go0.jpgb8n3vo.jpg

11h7389.jpg11wd8wi.jpg

(I know this is old, but I still wanna state my opinion here)

I completely disagree with you about the drawing for the MLP 80's series after Rescue from Midnight Castle. I don't think it looks

The ponies from Escape from Catrina onward don't look like malnourished hippos (how would they even be malnourished if you said they were fatter anyway? ?___?

They look chubby to me, and what's wrong with ponies being chubby? They're cute); they still look like horses/ponies to me! Hippos would have rounder snouts and little nostrils and circular ears! Those ponies' ears there still are pointed, even if they're smaller. Look at this drawing of a hippo: http://www.drawingco...cartoon_st5.gif

They don't look anything like that!

And how would them "sounding like they had a head cold" (which they don't) or anything doing with voice acting have to do with animation/art? That's irrelevant.

And Megan wearing frilly clothes? This is a show meant for GIRLS, not boys.

And from what I've seen with people talking about the previous generations on here, come on. If it weren't for them, FiM wouldn't have existed today. FiM is not the only good thing from the My Little Pony franchise. I would also say that while the FiM ponies do look like horses/ponies, the G1s are more realistic.

Edited by Seiya Meteorite, 20 September 2015 - 08:11 AM.

#17 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35360 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

oh, fresh meat! :p

Welcome to the herd!

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#18 Caldwin

Caldwin

Every...last...one of them!

• Supporter
  • 22493 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:15 PM

Wha? I don't think I've even seen this thread before! How odd. But yeah, you'll find most of the people who still romp around here have nothing but respect, if not love for G1. A small group of us even when through the entire series episode at a time. Good times. 

Welcome to boards. 

Edit: Just in case you wanted to see some of our thoughts on G1. It's kinda lengthy, but here ya go. 

http://www.allspark....-roundup/page-1

Edited by Caldwin, 19 September 2015 - 11:18 PM.

PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

#19 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

update your cookies

• Supporter
  • 58710 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:26 PM

welcome