Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (23 April 2017 - 06:28 AM)

No idea.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2017 - 03:40 AM)

Sometimes the Shoutbox takes a little longer to catch up to a new avatar.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 03:00 AM)

In the Shoutbox I'm seeing the pink thing instead of that guy with the weird eyes.

@  Telly : (23 April 2017 - 02:59 AM)

looks the same to me. maybe it looks different cause its smaller?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 April 2017 - 02:57 AM)

@unluckiness why/how is your avatar here different than the one in your profile

@  unluckiness : (23 April 2017 - 02:44 AM)

Revengeance

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 April 2017 - 01:33 AM)

Some people say revenge is sweet. Others say revenge is a dish best served cold. So basically, revenge is ice cream.

@  Verity Carlo : (22 April 2017 - 05:51 PM)

Retribution is fun.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (22 April 2017 - 05:39 PM)

'Sides, we all know the best G.I. Joe movie is Street Fighter, even if people haven't realized it yet.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (22 April 2017 - 05:39 PM)

I thought it was... okay. Okay as a movie, kinda fun, but not quite really feeling the G.I. Joe. I heard the sequel fixed that, but I've yet to see it.

@  Daith : (22 April 2017 - 05:26 PM)

Not sure about others but tried too hard to mainstream the idea to the public, making Baroness and the future Cobra Commander Duke's ex fiance and her brother was stupid and convoluted, and the power armor was a bit dumb

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 April 2017 - 05:14 PM)

What's the general opinion here about G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra?

@  BlackMax : (22 April 2017 - 02:55 PM)

In response to whether Arachnid Base or Orcanoch is the weirder.

@  BlackMax : (22 April 2017 - 02:55 PM)

My friend Take: "My vote goes to Spider Volcanobutt."

@  Rycochet : (22 April 2017 - 02:37 PM)

When I find myself in times of trouble, small marsupials come to me. Chattering and hissing, wallabies.

@  Evac : (22 April 2017 - 02:17 PM)

ROCKO'S MODERN LIIIIIIFE

@  Foffy : (22 April 2017 - 02:07 PM)

Did somebody mention wallabies?

@  Telly : (22 April 2017 - 01:38 PM)

"Walls of 'bee". walmart will be changing their name during movie time. they will now be called "walbee"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 April 2017 - 12:49 PM)

I'm pretty sure even Hasbro reps have admitted that they went overboard with Bee repaints.

@  Rycochet : (22 April 2017 - 12:34 PM)

Parents/retailers want them, it's cost effective to produce them, therefore they get made. Walls of 'bee may not be what we want to see, but here we are.

@  Bass X0 : (22 April 2017 - 12:29 PM)

That still doesn't justify all the barely repainted Bumblebee and Optimus Prime toys in slightly different shades of their standard color scheme.

@  Rycochet : (22 April 2017 - 12:26 PM)

The movie toylines are a necessary evil at this point, they help us get nice things so I can tolerate them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 April 2017 - 12:19 PM)

Eh, I'm more indifferent to the movies than angry.

@  Evac : (22 April 2017 - 12:04 PM)

Also, I highly doubt that. Judging by how some TR stuff hasn't been released yet (including Trypticon) and they're hyping up PotP for next year, what I'm assuming we'll see is Generations, Movieverse and RID/whatever the next cartoon is running alongside each other.

@  Evac : (22 April 2017 - 12:02 PM)

I KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENED! IT'S OBVIOUS WHAT'S HAPPENED! I WANT TO KNOW HOW WE CAN MAKE IT UNHAPPEN!

@  Telly : (22 April 2017 - 11:45 AM)

you are reacting to movies toys overtaking our beloved generations line for the next 2 years. and yes it is

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 April 2017 - 11:32 AM)

WHAT AM I REACTING TO AND IS ANGER APPROPRIATE?!

@  Evac : (22 April 2017 - 10:50 AM)

Krok? It's happening again...

@  BlackMax : (22 April 2017 - 10:15 AM)

Don't forget Kup.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 April 2017 - 09:59 AM)

Perceptor, Topspin, Krok, Quake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 April 2017 - 01:50 AM)

Whats wave 4?

@  RichardT1977 : (21 April 2017 - 11:48 PM)

Welpers, enjoy Titans Return Deluxe wave 4 if you got 'em. Starting next Monday, Generations is going on hiatus.

@  Telly : (21 April 2017 - 09:40 PM)

wish i knew where my ebay package from china was. no update in 20 days. its due next saturday...

@  BlackMax : (21 April 2017 - 06:47 PM)

It's nice to be popular. :D

@  NightViper : (21 April 2017 - 06:44 PM)

Max Reboot Band

@  Rycochet : (21 April 2017 - 05:13 PM)

*grumblemumblemutterRainmakergrumblemumble*

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 April 2017 - 05:05 PM)

ReBoot reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (21 April 2017 - 05:04 PM)

Fantastic Max reboot.

@  Whirl Maximus : (21 April 2017 - 04:06 PM)

Mighty Max reboot.

@  Evac : (21 April 2017 - 11:27 AM)

IT'S FUN TO BE AT THE Y-M-C-A!

@  Paladin : (21 April 2017 - 11:21 AM)

it's raining men.

@  Evac : (21 April 2017 - 10:50 AM)

This news simply fills my heart with rainbows.

@  Rycochet : (21 April 2017 - 10:21 AM)

Don't look at me, my weather machine only causes rainbows.

@  Diecast : (21 April 2017 - 09:42 AM)

It's literally just that one gay guy with a weather machine that causes hurricanes though.

@  unluckiness : (21 April 2017 - 09:33 AM)

Well if a butterfly's wingbeats can...

@  wonko the sane? : (21 April 2017 - 09:25 AM)

I think it means gays cause hurricanes... what?

@  Paladin : (21 April 2017 - 09:23 AM)

yeah. think about it!

@  RichardT1977 : (21 April 2017 - 08:05 AM)

" And He left them, and went out of the city into Bethany; and He lodged there"?

@  unluckiness : (21 April 2017 - 07:55 AM)

And you remember Matthew 21:17

@  Pennpenn : (21 April 2017 - 05:53 AM)

Sacrelicious...

Photo
- - - - -

The Best Band Left Standing In The World Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

be handing somebody matches and carrying a can of kerosene

• Retired Staff
  • 31599 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thought this might be an interesting subject. Who is the best damn band alive in the world today? So if you catch my drift, I'm talking active bands who regularly put out music and/or tour. We can save the discussion about how the modern acts stack up against Led Zeppelin and The Beatles for another day but I'm looking for bands that I have a snowballs chance in hell of seeing live in this lifetime.

It should be really easy to pick your favorite, use your INTERNET-fu on Youtube, and come up with a batch of great sounding examples for your choice. Would also be killer if you could tell us a little bit about the songs you're choosing. Expecting to see a lot of acts I've never heard of.

For my choice I'll stay tried and true. Drive-By Truckers. I've been singing this groups praises for half a decade now and nothing is going to change. Last Sunday I got to see them live once again and for $20 they played a dream setlist that went nearly 3 hours. I present to you ten songs that I think serve as a really good introduction to the band and justification for the choice.

"After The Scene Dies" from Spinner.com, from the album "The Big To-Do", vocals by Patterson Hood

A number of DBT songs deal with the downside of fame and what happens when it runs out. If I could find a better video of "Road Cases" it would probably make my top ten. This one is as good as that all time Truckers classic though. Basically a love letter to those who went for fame and came up short.

"Birthday Boy" from Spinner.com, from the album "The Big To-Do", vocals by "The Stroker Ace" Mike Cooley

It's a movie cliche to feature the stripper with a heart of gold. DBT has a knack of going for the grit and telling a story like it probably really is. So here's the stripper with a heart of gold who is probably a hooker too.

"Let There Be Rock" live 2009 from the album "Southern Rock Opera", vocals by Patterson Hood

A song that Patterson introduces live by saying it's about how rock and roll saved his life once upon a time, I offer it simply because I've lived bits of this song. Even if to a lesser degree than Patterson Hood probably did and a few names may change.

"Women Without Whisky" live from the album "Southern Rock Opera", vocals by "The Stroker Ace" Mike Cooley

I love this song for the lyric "Now I know the bottle aint to blame and I ain't trying to. 'Cause it don't make you do a thing it just lets you" and the overall context of thinking about giving up ones vices...someday.

"Decoration Day" live from the album "Decoration Day", vocals by Jason Isbell

A song I present with a heavy heart. Not just for the subject matter, a modern Hatfields vs McCoys family feud, but for the fact that I'll never hear it live again. Sadly Jason has left the band and you'd have to go to a Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit show to hear it, but the album it's on is an absolute classic so you won't be disappointed

"Go Go Boots" acoustic from the album "Go Go Boots", vocals by Patterson Hood

From DBT's latest album, basically a piece of a larger R&B Murder Mystery. What happens when a reverend decides he'd rather have the mistress than his wife. You'll have to seek out "The Fireplace Poke" to find out what happened to the preacher

"The Thanksgiving Filter" acoustic from the album "Go Go Boots", vocals by Patterson Hood

Went with this simply because I've also lived bits of this song, and it sums up my feelings on the holidays at times

"Buttholeville->State Trooper" live in Atlanta GA from nothing whatsoever

Just a great example of how an ordinary DBT show ends. It's usually this combo or the tune "People Who Died". Chosen because Steve Earle is awesome.

"Used To Be A Cop" live from the album "Go Go Boots", vocals by Patterson Hood.

As you dig deeper into DBT's catalog you will find a lot of songs about tragic people with tragic tales. Started on their first album with songs like "Panties In Your Purse" and goes forward 15 years later to this tune about a flawed cop who lost everything.

"Zip City" from the album "Southern Rock Opera", vocals by Mike Cooley

Before I started this I didn't know what songs would make up my ten but I did know that I'd end with this one. My all time favorite Truckers song, the story of a young Mike Cooleys frustrating relationship as a teenager. I'll note that when Cooley introduces this song live he mentions that it's 90%+ true. And it's even better live. Sadly to give you a listenable copy you just have to look at the cover of Southern Rock Opera

Anyway, thanks for indulging me and if this doesn't fall on deaf ears looking forward to hearing some suggestions for some great music.

msg-6572-0-28525900-1478149382.jpg

#2 Glenn

Glenn

Sitting next to me may result in Smart-ass poisoning

• Supporter
  • 7301 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

I'll give some suggestions when I get home from Coachella.

#3 Automan2000

Automan2000

Liberati tutumet ex infernis

• Supporter
  • 4378 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

When I think of the greatest concert experience ever the first band to pop into my head is always KISS. They might be old but they still do shows and most of all they still kick ass. Like a cross between a rock concert and a circus after see KISS live every other show will pale by comparison. Hell, even people that aren't big on their music still get a kick out of the shows.

To prove this I present Exhibit A:

I rest my case.... icon-hotrod.gif

Hell, here is Exhibit B:

I was at the concert where this one was recorded.

Edited by Automan2000, 15 April 2011 - 03:24 PM.

#4 Wheelimus

Wheelimus

be handing somebody matches and carrying a can of kerosene

• Retired Staff
  • 31599 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(Glenn @ Apr 15 2011, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll give some suggestions when I get home from Coachella.

Awesome, look forward to it. Wish I could go, closest I'll get anytime soon is something called Forecastle Festival in Louisville.

msg-6572-0-28525900-1478149382.jpg

#5 Wing

Wing

Puns will continue until morale improves.

• Supporter
  • 17937 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Freddie may be gone, but they're still kicking. And a minor warning since this version changes "You made a bad boy out of me" to "You made an bunghole out of me" since that's in the cupcake monkey.

Edited by Wingus, 15 April 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#6 Nanite

Nanite

Imminently Ignorable

• Supporter
  • 5058 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:41 PM

Man, or Astro Man? is the only choice.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by Nanite, 15 April 2011 - 04:42 PM.

On them twitters

#7 Zek

Zek

Resident Goober

• Supporter
  • 7766 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

Said it once, I'll say it again: Rock Sugar!!

Also Foreigner: