Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (15 October 2018 - 04:38 PM)

was the bride's name Sarah Connor?

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 October 2018 - 04:38 PM)

A sawed off shotgun is fairly easy to conceal. Of course, they're also illegal.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (15 October 2018 - 04:19 PM)

Maybe they wear a really, really baggy coat.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2018 - 04:10 PM)

I don't wanna think about the body type where a SHOTGUN is concealed carry.

@  MEDdMI : (15 October 2018 - 04:08 PM)

"If there any objections-" *Both sides pull out ridiculous amounts of weapons against each other*

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 October 2018 - 03:57 PM)

Someone else quips in the comments, "I have heard of a shotgun wedding, but this is ridiculous!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 October 2018 - 03:57 PM)

I saw a random shipost on Facebook. Evidently, there are people in the U.S. who have to ask wedding guests not to bring their concealed-carry weapons.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 October 2018 - 07:09 AM)

Hey.. I tried to say that google game streaming actually works pretty good... Now if that's depressing, that's a WHOLE nother ball of wax. ;D

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2018 - 06:29 AM)

The box is being used exactly as it was meant to: for random conversation. If it's depressing it's because the group whom use it is neither oblivious or stupid and we happen to be discussing depressing things.

@  fourteenwings : (15 October 2018 - 12:27 AM)

I'm starting to feel like the box is being used in lieu of actual serious threads (not to be terrible but seeing this as soon as you get on the forums is depressing).

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 October 2018 - 10:35 PM)

It's shameful that randos in richer countries pretend like it's not happening.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 October 2018 - 10:35 PM)

Small island countries are already sinking below sea level and being consumed by the ocean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2018 - 10:28 PM)

Which is why poorer countries are some of the ones most worried at this point, I imagine. Wealthy countries like the US, Canada, etc won't feel the effects nearly as soon

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2018 - 10:05 PM)

Realistically: there doesn't have to be truly catastrophic impacts to screw us all over. Frequent enough storms will disrupt our infrastructure, which will hobble our ability to rebuild quickly and cause pretty big backslides in quality of life. I don't mean "oh no, I can't charge my iphone", more like "dysentery is as common as the flu because the resources just aren't there to clean the water anymore".

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2018 - 10:03 PM)

If no, then procrastinate some more

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2018 - 10:03 PM)

Well, the most important question: is it going to stop me getting some drive thru at McDonald's?

@  Noideaforaname : (14 October 2018 - 09:21 PM)

It's kinda nuts seeing insurance ads tell everyone multiple 500-year storms a year is the new normal, but the general attitude over is still at best *shrug*.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 October 2018 - 08:18 PM)

Sad thing is... Boomers are still leaving their vile taint on a lot of the younger generation.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2018 - 08:08 PM)

Certainly the boomers won't live to see it, and they're the worst generation for not giving a shit

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2018 - 08:08 PM)

We're seeing some of it, yeah, but very likely all the truly catastrophic impacts will hit once most of us are dead

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2018 - 07:46 PM)

Stupid thing is: We ARE seeing results in our lifetime, but it's still slow enough that we, as a culture, are willing to ignore it despite what the scientists are saying.

@  MEDdMI : (14 October 2018 - 07:41 PM)

Captain Planet we need you

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2018 - 07:30 PM)

As long as nothing interrupts their morning latte and consumer-driven lifestyles, they're good

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2018 - 07:26 PM)

Because humans are notoriously bad at caring about things they don't see happening within their lifetimes

@  Shrug : (14 October 2018 - 06:09 PM)

And no one else in my class cared. None of my teachers cared. My parents didn't care.

@  Shrug : (14 October 2018 - 06:08 PM)

One of my more frustrating memories regarding Climate Change is from when I was in 2nd grade in 1996. My poor redneck middle-of-nowhere school had a decade old science textbook written so a 2nd grader could read it and it had enough about the impending Global Warming that I was worried as a 6 year old.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2018 - 04:45 PM)

Plus a MUCH higher chance of lake effect snow: since milder means the great lakes will take that much longer to freeze over.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 October 2018 - 04:07 PM)

Eh, really does depend on what you look for in winter. "Milder" also usually means "wetter", so... you know, MORE snow to deal with.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 October 2018 - 02:01 PM)

It was unusually warm here as well, until 2 or 3 days ago. The temperature's a little more seasonal, now. They are predicting a milder winter than usual this year, which for Canada isn't such bad news

@  Nevermore : (14 October 2018 - 01:51 PM)

"Global warming is a myth" my ass. It's the middle of October, and summer is back in full swing. What the hell.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 October 2018 - 08:30 AM)

I can't remember the last time I used a gif avatar here

@  Waspinator : (14 October 2018 - 02:52 AM)

did something change about how avatars work here? I had a GIF as one and I can't get a new one to work

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 October 2018 - 01:14 AM)

My vice is plastic. Once when I was cashiering at a grocery store I sold a lady three cartons of cigarettes and it came to over 80 bucks. I had just bought Brave Max and thought at least I wasn't going to go out and burn the thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 October 2018 - 06:21 PM)

Well, their going to TRY to make money off it. I suspect that price point and convenience will continue to drive the black market over the legal stuff.

@  Pennpenn : (13 October 2018 - 05:21 PM)

I'd say the "make money off it" makes them less likely to even try. And things like Prohibition gives them an excuse as though club-fistedly banning something is the only way to deal with a problem since they're willingly incapable of nuance or patience.

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 October 2018 - 05:05 PM)

My only vice is blu-rays; lots and lots of them

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 October 2018 - 05:05 PM)

None of it will be my money; personally I've only tried pot once (and that was at a family party, and the brownies were made by my aunt, lol), and though it was enjoyable enough, I've never been inclined to try it again

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 October 2018 - 05:03 PM)

I'm sure they'll make a ton of money on it, and I'm equally sure nobody will ever be able to figure out where it went once it evaporates

@  wonko the sane? : (13 October 2018 - 05:01 PM)

Not aimed at you megs, at pennpenn.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 October 2018 - 05:01 PM)

Why? Legalization is the just the government admitting they CAN'T deal with something, and since they can't ban it: would rather make money off it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 October 2018 - 05:00 PM)

On the war on drugs thing, I drove down to Niagara Falls/Buffalo today to pick up some packages and do some shopping, and as I was on the highway getting close to Whirlpool Bridge, there's a new big electronic construction sign in the middle of the road that says "No cannabis at the US border", I assume due to the coming legalization on Friday

@  Pennpenn : (13 October 2018 - 04:57 PM)

i get that just up and banning it isn't going to work, also see the "War on Drugs" for another course on that path. But is something that should be gotten rid of. It's something that governments should treat as the health issue it is, rather than a big ol' money pot.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 October 2018 - 01:20 PM)

So, I have to eat my words. The Assassin’s Creed Odyssey streaming version works very well.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 October 2018 - 11:44 AM)

There's also the fact that we know outright prohibition doesn't work. It was tried with alcohol and that was a disaster, and it's the reason marijuana is becoming legal in more places.

@  Cybersnark : (13 October 2018 - 09:41 AM)

Toronto is just as bad, thanks to everyone assuming that vaping ("it's healthy") and marijuana ("it's legal") don't count as smoking.

@  Shrug : (13 October 2018 - 09:32 AM)

Last time I saw data about it, all but two states in the US have decreased smoking consistently for several decades. Except two that both still smoke like it's the 1970s and I happen to live in one of them.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 October 2018 - 08:43 AM)

On the whole; more people are quitting smoking than taking it up. It's a slow process of attrition, but it will stop eventually. Unless you live in quebec: they still smoke like it's a cure for cancer.

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 October 2018 - 03:40 AM)

The only reason cigarettes are "permissible" is because of their historical precedence, but personally that's not good enough for me

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 October 2018 - 03:39 AM)

There's the personal choice angle, but honestly, it's like Pennpenn mentioned before. If anyone tried to market the same product today, it would never be allowed. Same reason why you're not allowed to sell Bleach as a drink.

@  Waspinator : (13 October 2018 - 02:28 AM)

It doesn't help that the problems caused by smoking are mostly slow acting and therefore easy to ignore.

Photo

The My Little Pony Thread: By the Allsparkle!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4940 replies to this topic

#3461 Nayuki

Nayuki
  • Supporter
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

Oh no, I'm being quoted on ED now..... quite a bit more attention than I'm usually comfortable with.

I can understand why people are panicking, they don't have access to all the information, so a lot of things can be misinterpreted. My comments certainly aren't 100% clear (1. because even I only know part of the story, and 2. there is very little I can say being an employee on the show).

#3462 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

I think they all need to relax and remember that it's not just Lauren who makes the show. I doubt that season 2 is suddenly going to turn into a sickly sweet girly show or anything without Lauren behind the wheel. I mean, from what I've read she's still involved with the show and I can't see her allowing what she's created go down the toilet.

On a different note what does everyone think about Derpy being made an official character and what will that mean for her in season 2?

#3463 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 10667 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(Princess Luna @ May 8 2011, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wowee, everyone on Equestria Daily is freaking out [. . .] That's kinda insane...

You're new to internet fandom, aren't'cha?

icon-arcee.gif

#3464 Nayuki

Nayuki
  • Supporter
  • 563 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(LoomX @ May 8 2011, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a different note what does everyone think about Derpy being made an official character and what will that mean for her in season 2?

Her role in season 2 (to my understanding) is the same as season 1. A kind of 'Where's Waldo' visual gag for the fans. Instead of being edited into the scenes in post production she's actually showing up in the storyboards. I don't know if she will get an official name or speaking lines, but the Derpy joke scenes are now being planned out ahead of time instead of just thrown in as we go. I'm certainly not in the decision making process, this is just what I'm seeing from my perspective.

#3465 Blueshift

Blueshift
  • Citizen
  • 2275 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ May 8 2011, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh no, I'm being quoted on ED now..... quite a bit more attention than I'm usually comfortable with.

I can understand why people are panicking, they don't have access to all the information, so a lot of things can be misinterpreted. My comments certainly aren't 100% clear (1. because even I only know part of the story, and 2. there is very little I can say being an employee on the show).

Quick, change your avatar to Lyra in a pair of shades and a trenchcoat!

#3466 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10479 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

Ah, I wish people on the internet wouldn't panic so much, lol. Personally, I have faith that Season 2 will be quite good.

#3467 mariomarc

mariomarc
  • Citizen
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

http://www.equestria...ate-part-2.html

Edited by mariomarc, 08 May 2011 - 03:03 PM.

I LOVE EVERYPONY!

#3468 Hiatus

Hiatus
  • Citizen
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ May 8 2011, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Her role in season 2 (to my understanding) is the same as season 1. A kind of 'Where's Waldo' visual gag for the fans. Instead of being edited into the scenes in post production she's actually showing up in the storyboards. I don't know if she will get an official name or speaking lines, but the Derpy joke scenes are now being planned out ahead of time instead of just thrown in as we go. I'm certainly not in the decision making process, this is just what I'm seeing from my perspective.

Oh my god... I hope that the Derpy will be the only one fanservice "nod" to the fans. "Rainbow Dash lesbian"/Trollestia/Cupcakes... this will kill the show :<

Nayuki: if your opinion matters there -- tell them please.

Edited by Kein, 08 May 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#3469 LoomX

LoomX

Go on, have a jump!

• Supporter
  • 478 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ May 8 2011, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This sounds good to me. As much as I would like a Derpy episode, I think giving her a bigger role could possibly spoil the character (see Boba Fett in the Star Wars prequels). It's great that the people working on the show are giving her appearances more thought and I'd like to see her ocassionally interact with the main cast, similar to when she dropped the stuff on Twilight in Feelin' Pinkie Keen.

#3470 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(pao @ May 8 2011, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(mariomarc @ May 8 2011, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obvious prediction: Lauren has another project spooling up about the time the episodes get into production.

And obvious prediction is wrong. Darn! From her DA:

QUOTE(Lauren Faust)
*clarification: Story concepts and writers' meetings were completed several weeks ago, so my role is complete. I am not currently working on this show in any capacity at this time. Sorry for the confusion. While I'm at it, folks are asking if I left to work on another show. This is not the case. I had no other projects in the works when I stepped down.

#3471 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

maker of toast both brown and crisp

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Nayuki @ May 8 2011, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And they called you animator staff no less. I dunno if anypony saw my correction of you being layout though.

#3472 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 4249 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Kein @ May 8 2011, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh my god... I hope that the Derpy will be the only one fanservice "nod" to the fans. "Rainbow Dash lesbian"/Trollestia/Cupcakes... this will kill the show :<

Nayuki: if your opinion matters there -- tell them please.

I'm certain that "Rainbow Dash lesbian"/Trollestia/Cupcakes will NEVER happen. I'm sure that everypony on Faust's team have more than enough common sense than to let something like that take place in the show.

#3473 Masked Toaster

Masked Toaster

maker of toast both brown and crisp

• Citizen
  • 1270 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(Guardian Prime @ May 8 2011, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm certain that "Rainbow Dash lesbian"/Trollestia/Cupcakes will NEVER happen. I'm sure that everypony on Faust's team have more than enough common sense than to let something like that take place in the show.
QUOTE(Kein @ May 8 2011, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trollestia is already pretty-much canon, just not to the degree the fanon's done with her.
Lesbian Dash will never be canon. The show is aimed for kids, little kids. They aren't going to throw-in something PG+.
The two psychotic breaks are already close enough. I'm honestly surprised we haven't heard about parents writing and complaining to Hasbro for them giving their kids nightmares or something.
Cupcakes, once again, they'll never throw something higher than PG in. I'd think the mental snaps would be pushing a PG rating.
But killing somepony, they'll clearly never do, not in that way. A Bird in the Hoof is probably as close as they'll ever get to dealing with death at all.

#3474 Hiatus

Hiatus
  • Citizen
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

Trollestia is already pretty-much canon

Never was: http://i.imgur.com/LHnZV.png (and never will, I hope)

The episodes writer disagrees with you completely.

#3475 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 5923 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:35 PM

I always interpreted the things that Celestia does on the show as supposed to be a sign that she's more a of "big sister" kind of mentor to Twilight Sparkle and to show that she would prefer everyone to loosen up a little, rather than go stiff and grovel in her presence.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#3476 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 5923 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

Surprise! Every fan community is like that now.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#3477 Mark Pellegrini

Mark Pellegrini
  • Citizen
  • 13654 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Zecora @ May 8 2011, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm only speaking for myself, but this is the sort of thing that will drive me away from being an open fan of this show just because this isn't the sort of fan community I'd like to be a part of.

Well, it's certainly the reason why *I* don't discuss the show here as fervently as I used to.

The fanbase started getting way too weird and obsessed and (mostly outside of this site) perverted.

#3478 Guardian Prime

Guardian Prime

Ponies & Freedom Are The Right of ALL Sentient Beings!

• Supporter
  • 4249 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE(DrSpengler @ May 8 2011, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Zecora @ May 8 2011, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe I'm only speaking for myself, but this is the sort of thing that will drive me away from being an open fan of this show just because this isn't the sort of fan community I'd like to be a part of.

Well, it's certainly the reason why *I* don't discuss the show here as fervently as I used to.

The fanbase started getting way too weird and obsessed and (mostly outside of this site) perverted.

Just for the record, and I've mentioned it before in my very first post when I joined the Allspark, I've always hated when people take innocent shows like FiM and twist them into eye burning perversions. The pony threads here in the Allspark still remain one of the few best pony threads on the net. At least here, my eyes are free from the eye burning crap I find most everywhere else.

In the months since I joined the Allspark, it has gotten increasingly more difficult to search for FiM related things on the internet without running into a ton of said eye burning crap. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way of the internet. The more time passes, the thicker the crap will get. I've learned to just block such things from my mind and focus on only the good and innocent FiM related things. Fortunately for ponyfolk like us, the good will always out weigh the bad.

As for no one asking what "Cupcakes" referred to, I didn't even know what that was all about at first when it originally came up in one of these threads. I'm probably one of the few that stay away from fics like that, so I remained unaware of what it was until somepony later on mentioned just a vague description of it. I really had no reason to ask about it. The way it was being mentioned when it first came up was more than enough to tell me that it's something to stay away from.

As for the fanbase getting way to weird and obsessed, I'm not sure how far something has to go before it becomes an obsession. I know I've made a few posts here recently that might seem over the top, perhaps in some emotional way. The feelings, at least in my posts, remain true. Even if a few posts may seem just a little exaggerated at times. But, that's part of the fun of posting.

Edited by Guardian Prime, 08 May 2011 - 08:00 PM.

#3479 PhantomFox

PhantomFox
  • Citizen
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

How many times do I have to tell y'all, Celestia isn't a troll, she's just a commoner at heart and wishes ponies wouldn't be so stuffy and formal around her.

A new story updating Mondays.

#3480 pao

pao

Life is a struggle.

• Supporter
  • 858 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Eh, discussing the community is probably getting off-topic, but whether I like the show or like to discuss it is independent of any of its other fans. Now the productivity of such a discussion is another matter, and I like to think the Allspark discussions have struck a good balance.

You could have closed the doors back in December or January; you could have decided you didn't want random people (i.e., me) coming to a Transformers website for the sole purpose of discussing My Little Pony. The whole existing community (which at the time was pretty much here and /co/, from what I understand) could have done that. It probably would have saved us a few gallons of eye bleach by now.

It's not all like that though. I keep seeing fan works that enhance my appreciation that the team that created that show put enough depth into the world to make that possible ("Sunny Skies All Day Long"). Works that make me laugh by recontextualizing my favorite scenes ("Inglourious Ponies"). And artwork by a lot of talented people (I'm looking at an awesome rendering of an adult Scootaloo right now from ED's latest drawfriend thread).

Well, I've clearly gone on too long, but I suppose the point of all this is that if I were going to get wrapped up in worrying about being associated with a part of the fandom I don't participate in, I'd be just as hung up about liking FiM in the first place. I've pretty much gotten over that. I can't think of a single group with more than a couple dozen people that I could be associated with that doesn't have some objectionable part to it.

(P.S.: Totally in agreement with PhantomFox above!)

(P.P.S.: This is on the wrong thread, but what's up with the quartet at the Gala? Piano, cello, harp, and Sousaphone? A quick Google gives me a number of pieces written for piano and tuba, and one for tuba, percussion, harp, and cello, which comes close. An interesting mix, however. I would expect a string quartet to be the traditional choice for such an event.)