Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 September 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Runamuck, Fasttrack, Sunstreaker, and Trailbreaker.

@  Nevermore : (22 September 2020 - 06:13 AM)

Cardboard and plastic.

@  Paladin : (22 September 2020 - 05:52 AM)

what's IN Wave 3, anyway?

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

Photo
- - - - -

Don't wreck your Wreck-Gar!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

#1 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

Wreck-Gar is a great new toy. But like any number of toys, there are certain things you want to be aware of, lest you junk your Junkion.

The first is the shoulder stress. From what is known so far, this is a common occurrence on many figures. It's a result of the manufacturing process and many Wreck-Gar figures show these stress marks right out of the package. However, this stress is not really noticeable unless a person is looking for it, and does not necessarily indicate a part that is at any risk of breaking. So far I've seen exactly zero reports of these marks developing into actual breakage, and I expect that to continue. Be aware that they are present, but again, probably a construction artifact and not anything to worry about.

Second, be aware of Wreck-Gar's hands. You can see in this picture the thin, yellowish stress mark running down his fingers. Note the axe above it. The handle is only meant to be held in a VERY specific spot. Too far up and he grips it by the widened part, stressing the hand. Unfortunately, because the gradation is so subtle, it's almost a given it will happen at some point. As long as you're reasonably careful, Wreck-Gar's hands should not break. However, if you're worried it certainly couldn't hurt to take a little sandpaper to the inside of his hands right out of the box. The little hair of room might make him hold the axe more loosely, but it should also serve to make the grip slightly more forgiving. That said, there is the caveat that if you stand too much, the fingers will be thinner and might actually be MORE prone to stress and breaking.

Lastly, OH LORD THE HUMANITY!

Yes, that's a broken handlebar. The right foot is a fickle monster. When you transform the leg, you are supposed to push the fender up. This pushes the headlight/windshield/gas tank assembly into the leg and collapses the handlebars in a single Automorph movement. USE IT. The hinge that the handlebars are attached to WILL break eventually if you try to move them manually. There is a nub on the handlebar that plugs into the gas tank. The handlebar is made of rubber, so it resists popping out of its plug when it's pushed, and the hinge ends up doing the giving. Using the Automorph actually forces the popping-out in a much more... I dunno, "natural" manner. Point is, it shouldn't break. If you want to remove the fear entirely, take an exacto and trim off the nub. It's not actually necessary to hold the handlebar in place, and the Automorph still works without it. Regardless, USE THE AUTOMORPH OR YOUR TOY WILL BREAK. Mine did so after about three transformations.

(seen here: the back of the un-Automorphed foot, showing the unbroken hinge. Note that it has a stress mark as well. I repeat: your toy WILL break if you don't use the Automorph!)

I don't want to scare anyone here, because Wreck-Gar really is a great figure, a lot of fun, and no less durable than most other toys. I highly, highly recommend getting him. It's just that his weak points are not as readily-apparent as some other toys, and being aware of them will make him last a lot longer and be more fun!

Edited by Lukeblast, 30 January 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#2 Bainreese

Bainreese
  • Retired Staff
  • 15746 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:55 AM

Dude, that sucks. I am sorry your Wreck-gar broke. But thanks a ton for the warning.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>
·´¯`·.. ><((((º> ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

#3 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67813 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:57 AM

Thanks for the news Lukeblast, I'll be sure to heed your warnings when mine arrives. icon-ironhide.gif

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#4 ExVee

ExVee

That Kup, he is a Chear

• Supporter
  • 9359 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:12 AM

This has been being discussed on 2005 for a few days already. The handlebar thing is new, though.

(and only now I notice you already were pointing to that thread. Go reading comprehension. icon-fire.gif)

You're right about the shoulders. It's an issue of the pin in the post not fitting/aligned exactly right. But it's not a guaranteed problem. My first Wreck-Gar only has one shoulder with the stress marks, and it hasn't grown any with use, so this seems to be a stable situation. I guess it might make the part more vulnerable to breaking if you carelessly applied unnatural force against it, but that probably would be true without the pre-existing condition.

The hands, once they get the axe the first time and stretch around the handle seem to also stabilize so far as I can tell. I spent some time testing with both hands and the stress marks did not change in any way that I could see, and don't seem to go deep enough into the plastic to pose a realistic danger of the fingers snapping off. If you want to avoid this to start with, just insert the axe straight down into the hand from the end. Wreck-Gar will look dumb, but should keep his hands in good shape. The stressing seems to come from pushing the handle of the axe between the curled fingers and thumb. If you don't do that you should be okay. Some have also suggested filing down the fingertips just enough to clear the handle. The fingertips only, not the ridges in the hand that actually grip the axe.

This is still pretty early and is being explored yet, but it looks like the stress mark issues are pretty widespread. But nobody reported breakage before now, and I'm a bit surprised it's not one of the previously known problem areas. I'm kinda thinking this brown plastic itself is the main part of this, rather than specifics of the design.

Edited by ExVee, 30 January 2011 - 01:20 AM.

#5 (Deactivated) Mos'Pharaoh-tu

(Deactivated) Mos'Pharaoh-tu
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:16 AM

Can't he just put himself back together?

#6 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6350 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:19 AM

Ouch. Definitely something to look out for, thanks. Especially once the e-Hobby Junkion hits.

(Why does everyone leave that one foot rotated backwards?)
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#7 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20741 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:25 AM

Urg. Another toy ruined by shoddy engineering. icon-screamer.gif

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#8 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE(ExVee @ Jan 30 2011, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This has been being discussed on 2005 for a few days already.
Right. I didn't take pictures because I wanted people to check out that report. icon-hotrod.gif

The hands, once they get the axe the first time and stretch around the handle seem to also stabilize so far as I can tell.
Yeah. Again, if treated with reasonable care, I don't think it will be a problem either. I don't think people need to treat it like an eggshell, but know that this is a potentially weak point.

But nobody reported breakage before now, and I'm a bit surprised it's not one of the previously known problem areas. I'm kinda thinking this brown plastic itself is the main part of this, rather than specifics of the design.

Boy, that's tough to say. I suppose it's possible though. I'm inclined to think my own trouble was just carelessness with the Automorph; IIRC the Classic Camaro Bumblebee has a similar "do it or break it" sort of Automorph. But that said, the evidence would at least seem to point toward this plastic being more prone to showing stress than most others. I think it would be premature to assume it's actually a weaker plastic or anything.

QUOTE(SwiftEagle @ Jan 30 2011, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Why does everyone leave that one foot rotated backwards?)

Honestly? His legs are so asymmetrical that I just plumb forgot! icon-fire.gif

Edited by Lukeblast, 30 January 2011 - 01:34 AM.

#9 Omgiamonfire

Omgiamonfire

Maybe on Earth. Maybe in the Future.

• Citizen
  • 14433 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jan 30 2011, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not really shoddy engineering, it's more plastic tolernaces than anything.

"Whether it's directly or not, you prey on others to live. That reality never changes. And it's the same for everyone here."

#10 ExVee

ExVee

That Kup, he is a Chear

• Supporter
  • 9359 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jan 30 2011, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Boy, that's tough to say. I suppose it's possible though. I'm inclined to think my own trouble was just carelessness with the Automorph; IIRC the Classic Camaro Bumblebee has a similar "do it or break it" sort of Automorph. But that said, the evidence would at least seem to point toward this plastic being more prone to showing stress than most others. I think it would be premature to assume it's actually a weaker plastic or anything.

Oh, I agree. I think this plastic may be harder than usual, and loses some of the give we often take for granted which also helps prevent situations exactly like this. But I'm not on the roof screaming knockoff or anything like that. icon-ironhide.gif

Though I'm sorry you found out the hard way, I am glad you brought the handlebar thing to light. Cause I was doing the same thing as you for transformation, so obviously it wouldn't have ended well for me either.

#11 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20741 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE(Omgiamonfire @ Jan 30 2011, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But surely engineering should factor in those plastic tolerances?

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#12 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

QUOTE(ExVee @ Jan 30 2011, 01:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, I agree. I think this plastic may be harder than usual, and loses some of the give we often take for granted which also helps prevent situations exactly like this. But I'm not on the roof screaming knockoff or anything like that. icon-ironhide.gif
Ah, I see. Yeah, also a possibility.

Though I'm sorry you found out the hard way, I am glad you brought the handlebar thing to light. Cause I was doing the same thing as you for transformation, so obviously it wouldn't have ended well for me either.

Yeah, I'm not terribly worried. He's not in any sort of saturation yet, so I can just return him when I find another. I just wanted to put the warning out there because I thought my handlebar break was a one-off QC thing, but someone else I know reported it today. When we talked it over, we both realized we weren't using the Automorph properly.

QUOTE(Detour @ Jan 30 2011, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not widely familiar, but my understanding is that there can be quite a lot of variance between plastics. They can't make it too specific because when they go to do a new run, even in the same color and style and whatnot, they might be using a slightly different plastic. The design/mold is created with a certain variance range in mind, not a specific "this is made for tolerance X plastic" setting. So yes, it's possible that they used a plastic that wasn't appropriate for the mold, and not really possible that they engineered to the wrong plastic.

But I'll repeat that I don't think this is something to get upset about. The only issue that has been reported to break your toy results from mistreatment--forcing it to do something in a way it isn't supposed to. That makes it (unfortunately) the owner's fault, not the engineering OR the plastic.

Edited by Lukeblast, 30 January 2011 - 02:05 AM.

#13 David Thomsen

David Thomsen
  • Citizen
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:16 AM

Out of curiosity, where would I go for information about the weaknesses of specific toys? I've broken a few toys like Arcee's thumb because I wasn't familiar with the breaking points beforehand.

#14 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3679 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:24 AM

Darn, so the failing American economy means this stuff will happen?

Good thign I don't remvoe my Transformers from the package from now on.

#15 (Deactivated) Mos'Pharaoh-tu

(Deactivated) Mos'Pharaoh-tu
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

You monster!

#16 Kilby

Kilby

Imaginaut

• Supporter
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

Yes. It totally should.

#17 Kilby

Kilby

Imaginaut

• Supporter
  • 408 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(Lukeblast @ Jan 30 2011, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not widely familiar, but my understanding is that there can be quite a lot of variance between plastics. They can't make it too specific because when they go to do a new run, even in the same color and style and whatnot, they might be using a slightly different plastic. The design/mold is created with a certain variance range in mind, not a specific "this is made for tolerance X plastic" setting. So yes, it's possible that they used a plastic that wasn't appropriate for the mold, and not really possible that they engineered to the wrong plastic.

My experience from this sort of thing comes from sending out RFPs for each individual product, not working with the same supplier time after time but in my experience we always get proofs of what finished product look like and things are tested pretty rigorously. Of course, as stated, it's a different game. Shame. This is such a beautiful, highly anticipated toy. Hopefully a later run will have some of these issues worked out.

#18 Meister79

Meister79
  • Retired Staff
  • 2482 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Lukeblast!
The right leg is indeed a little tricky to transform.
It's things like this that make me buy at least 2 of the figures I like very much.

#19 Luke

Luke
  • Retired Staff
  • 15021 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(David Thomsen @ Jan 30 2011, 02:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Out of curiosity, where would I go for information about the weaknesses of specific toys? I've broken a few toys like Arcee's thumb because I wasn't familiar with the breaking points beforehand.

A good question... for the most part it's just a matter of hanging around sites like this. icon-hotrod.gif The wiki sometimes also notes these things from time to time.

#20 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

...I think it more has to deal with weak plastic. Having just picked up Perceptor yesterday (who is awesome), I'm a little terrified since he had loads of plastic flashing and the red plastic is very thin in general. I think we're starting to see the effects of keeping prices down without sacrificing size or gimmicks.
Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.