Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 September 2020 - 11:58 PM)

Aw I scratched the hood of my 35th anniversary Bluestreak. Fortunately he's in robot mode a lot.

@  Sabrblade : (25 September 2020 - 07:24 PM)

No decoration could improve the wall more than Knockout himself

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 September 2020 - 05:04 PM)

The wall could use some decorating, though. Maybe a nice shelf or a portrait.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 04:32 PM)

I'm laughing so hard XDDD

@  ▲ndrusi : (25 September 2020 - 02:31 PM)

He doesn't even mind this time. You know what? It's comfortable here.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 September 2020 - 02:23 PM)

AND THEN KNOCKOUT WAS IN THE WALL AGAIN XDDD

@  Bass X0 : (25 September 2020 - 01:11 PM)

is an annoying stage in Super Mario World.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 September 2020 - 02:15 PM)

Gnarly.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 September 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Beast Era, a blonde rat called Sunsqueaker.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 September 2020 - 01:00 PM)

And then Knockout was in the wall again.

@  Sabrblade : (24 September 2020 - 12:53 PM)

Knockout: "Ooh, sorry, Lord Megatron. The correct word was... 'Decepticon'."

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 September 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Knockout: *while doing a crossword puzzle* Lord Megatron, whats a ten letter word for disappointment? | Megatron: ...... Starscream.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 September 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Runamuck, Fasttrack, Sunstreaker, and Trailbreaker.

@  Nevermore : (22 September 2020 - 06:13 AM)

Cardboard and plastic.

@  Paladin : (22 September 2020 - 05:52 AM)

what's IN Wave 3, anyway?

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

Photo

Shortpacked! review: RtS Lugnut

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40686 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

Original link: http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/blog/glorious/

Man, y'know what I like? Animated-original characters getting toys in other lines! ?You may remember that I was super in love with Revenge of the Fallen Lockdown and his Animated-inspired rivalry with?live-action Ratchet. ?I also adore that Bulkhead is one of the main Autobots in Transformers: Prime. ?And, hey now, look, it's Reveal the Shield Lugnut, everyone's favorite five-eyed sycophant, in Generation 1 style!

Did you know that Lugnut was in the 1986 animated Transformers film? ?Well, he was. ?Sort of. ?According to the comic book that comes with the Rodimus/Cyclonus "Battle in Space" set, which retroactively places him at the Battle of Autobot City, anyway. ?That's the kind of stuff I like, the new additions that are presented as if they'd been there all along.

Frankly, after getting your hands on this guy, you'd be happy for him to be in every continuity possible. ?Out of the huge box of swag I got on Friday, I'd rank his toy as the winner in all respects. ?There's just so much going on with him. ?Let's work our way through them.

First of all, I am super digging his alternate mode. ?It's a giant war bomber. ?Folks tend to describe it as a "WWII bomber," but I can't really agree so long as he has jet engines instead of propellers. ?The second best thing about this mode is the amazing wingspan. ?Usually, Transformer plane wings are stubby so that they fit into the packaging in vehicle mode or a conservation of plastic mass is attained. ?But Lugnut gets around that by being packaged in robot mode and by having his wings transform into his arms. ?Often wings just get thrown onto the back of a robot mode as kibble, but Lugnut uses the wings to add to his robot mode mass. ? The FIRST best thing about his vehicle mode is the missile that launches out of the back of the tail, which calls back to those World War II-era bombers. ?You flip up the little gunpod at the very tip of the tail, and underneath is the missile launcher. ?In robot mode, this launcher can point over the shoulder. ?...Or up under the crotch, if you're crude.

How Lugnut gets massive arms out of his wings is inspiring. ?His hands transform out of the jet intakes(?) on the wings, the wingtips fold over onto the backs of the hands, and then the wings articulate like arms. ?Each hand has two articulated fingers and a thumb. ?(He can go grabby grabby.) ?It's a feat of engineering we haven't seen before. ? Animated Lugnut had a "Punch Of Kill Everything" attack where he'd punch the ground and create a massive crater, and this version of Lugnut tries to borrow that as well. ?Both of his fists have spring-loaded punch gimmicks. ?You could use this to make his wings even longer, but I don't think it's necessary, and it leaves a few gaps.

(Oh, and his mouth can open and close.)

In my reviews for the past several toys, I've talked about the new, shared "C joint" gimmick, where toys come with clip-on weapons and a number of rungs for those weapons to attach. ?Well, Lugnut is the holy mother of this. ?He doesn't come with any weapons, but he has rungs hidden all over his body that can accommodate 15 clip-ons. ?There's one on the missile launcher. ?There's four spread across his shoulder jet engines. ?There's two on each of his shins. ?There's two each more on the backs of his wrists, hidden under the wingtips. ?And there's one more on both of his wingtips. ?I wouldn't be surprised if I found even more later, but at that point I'd be put out, 'cuz I'm out of weapons to attach to him. ?(I think the next time I get more is whenever Wheeljack comes out.)

To sum up, you have to get this guy. ?He's an amazing toy that can do buttloads of stuff and he's an appealing character with a memorable visual design. ?Any toy with giant articulated fingers is already going to be near the top of my list, but Lugnut gives me that and so much more. ?If you see him, snatch him up.

#2 Caked-Up

Caked-Up
  • Citizen
  • 876 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

I must own this figure NOW!!! I have been waiting patiently for him to show up and he will be here tomorrow! This was an awesome review and I did not know that he had all of those clip locations. Great job telling us about his gloriousness!
A lesson for you to remember, "Never hate anything so much that cancer is chosen to teach you otherwise. Live your life and enjoy everyone and everything around you."

#3 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6133 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

I so wish that I hadn't missed out on my chance to pre-order this fellow.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#4 Scottimus Prime

Scottimus Prime

Wanna check these ratings? I seem to have an audience of 2...

• Supporter
  • 6117 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

itmustbemine.jpg

Yeah...dammit, Lugz, show up here, already! icon-fire.gif
QUOTE(Drivaaar @ Jan 22 2006, 06:22 PM)
Y'see, even the Editor of the Enquirer has to draw the pun line somewhere, and you just obliterated that line with a big huge cannon filled with vast amounts of gunpowder.

#5 Caked-Up

Caked-Up
  • Citizen
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

This figures hugging gloriousness knows no bounds! I feel bad for those who don't own this figure yet and I wish you luck trying to find him. We are in the fourth week of the year and I beleive we have the figure of the year, bar none.
A lesson for you to remember, "Never hate anything so much that cancer is chosen to teach you otherwise. Live your life and enjoy everyone and everything around you."

#6 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 4171 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

sigh... If I had a dime for all the cool stuff I won't be buying this year, I'd have my own research foundation. It's an awesome figure but I lack display/storage space, time and money. But the sacrifice is for something I like as much as that.
A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#7 Caked-Up

Caked-Up
  • Citizen
  • 876 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

@Walky: Here is where I found the clip points (alt mode was easier). Wingtips x2, under wing hard points x6, under the fingers on the back edge of the wing x2, engines x4, fuselage x4, and the cannon tip x1. So that adds fOur more for you and his tfwiki.

#8 Ave Destron!

Ave Destron!
  • Citizen
  • 5306 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(Code of Walky @ Jan 23 2011, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
swag

I'm prouder than I should be.
Does anyone see City-Swimmer? Is he gliding beneath the silver water? Is he creeping 'round a corner, hugging a wall, silent as a shadow in the dark?

#9 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19469 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

I seem to remember that the turrets on his nose are clip compatible, as well.

#10 Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex

Animated Addict

• Citizen
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Just got him in the UK and gotta agree with this review completely. Am I the only one that thinks it misses a step in the instructions? Where at the end of transforming him after his head pops up, you have to big his legs/chest up to his neck and lock it in to place? Instructions seem to indicate this happens on it's own, or miss out the fact you have to do it manually.

#11 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3431 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(Lothar Hex @ Mar 26 2011, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got him in the UK and gotta agree with this review completely. Am I the only one that thinks it misses a step in the instructions? Where at the end of transforming him after his head pops up, you have to big his legs/chest up to his neck and lock it in to place? Instructions seem to indicate this happens on it's own, or miss out the fact you have to do it manually.

I agree with you. I have a RtS Lugnut as of today, and I can't yet get Lugnut into aircraft mode. There seems to be an Automorph step related to the robot head/aircraft front halves, but I cannot 'get' it yet. Plus after what happened to my RtS Wreck Gar, I don't want to go forcing Automorph steps by accident...
QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.

#12 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19469 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE(Anonymous X @ Mar 26 2011, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Lothar Hex @ Mar 26 2011, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. I have a RtS Lugnut as of today, and I can't yet get Lugnut into aircraft mode. There seems to be an Automorph step related to the robot head/aircraft front halves, but I cannot 'get' it yet. Plus after what happened to my RtS Wreck Gar, I don't want to go forcing Automorph steps by accident...

Posted it in your other thread, too. But yeah, the instructions are a little... off. They're telling you to sink his head into his torso cavity, while the chest plate is still completely in the way.

Unlock his chest plate by swinging his pelvis back, and then have at'er again.

#13 Caked-Up

Caked-Up
  • Citizen
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

I stated it in my thread as well, but there are two more clip on points in the red translucent plastic on the cockpit flap. They are only accessible in robot mode though.

#14 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33778 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 07:01 PM

Got mine a few days ago from HTS and I love it.
"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#15 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3431 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Mar 28 2011, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Posted it in your other thread, too. But yeah, the instructions are a little... off. They're telling you to sink his head into his torso cavity, while the chest plate is still completely in the way.

Unlock his chest plate by swinging his pelvis back, and then have at'er again.

All sorted now. icon-hotrod.gif I don't think I've been unable to transform a TF figure on the same day of opening the package since the mid '80s. icon-fire.gif Well, as I say, if you're going to be flummoxed by a Transformer, it might as well be a freakin' cool one like Lugnut.
QUOTE(Specimen-17 @ Feb 29 2012, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ultimately, collecting toys with gold plastic is like global thermonuclear war. The only way to win is not to play.