Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:21 AM)

Well great. The one Usagi Yojimbo volume I don't have and it's out of stock.

@  Rycochet : (17 January 2020 - 06:15 PM)

I both love and hate that the Alien franchise seems to have had more luck finding a niche as a line of children's toys than it has at producing worthwhile films.

@  Donocropolis : (17 January 2020 - 06:35 AM)

I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart. They're pretty great looking retro Aliens toys. https://www.walmart....-Vary/934039489

@  fourteenwings : (17 January 2020 - 01:11 AM)

IIRC somebody on here mentioned an unbranded Alien toy a couple of weeks ago? It seems like it was actually part of a collection for the Alien movie series by Lanard. Mattel's making some stuff too.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 January 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Is it really a worse name than say, HMS Spanker?

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 January 2020 - 02:36 PM)

'Boaty McBoatface' was a actual thing?! Wow.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2020 - 02:00 PM)

Might be worth bringing back this thread.

@  ThunderWear : (14 January 2020 - 01:53 PM)

Of course I had the idea to download all the pdfs like a week too late. Anyone got an archive?

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 January 2020 - 12:48 PM)

The Collector Club is dead. Seems like it all came down shortly after New Year

@  ThunderWear : (13 January 2020 - 11:06 PM)

I can't get to the collector club website. anyone else? I was literally going to download all the fiction to finish reading.

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 January 2020 - 04:50 AM)

News today is all 'there's a CHANCE it would snow in July' and 'dogs COULD bite back'.

@  Benbot : (12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM)

Holy crap, do many people get hurt by them?

@  wonko the sane? : (12 January 2020 - 02:11 PM)

Even in fallout, they never carpet bombed with nukes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 January 2020 - 12:43 PM)

I hope the stockpiled nuclear weapons of the US and Russia are accounted for then.

@  Nevermore : (12 January 2020 - 12:22 PM)

Geez. 1760 (!) bombs from World War II that had not detonated and were still armed have been found. That's only the numbers for the federal state of Germany I live in, and only for the first three quarters of 2019. For all of 2018, the total number was 2811 (!!) bombs.

@  CVReynolds : (11 January 2020 - 11:05 PM)

I've been wanting a Tarantulas that turns into a more realistic tarantula for a long time. Maybe Takara will someday do a Masterpiece, which would be neat. But I really want to see a modernized look like in the IDW comics.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 January 2020 - 09:43 PM)

We need more Waspinators.. and rattraps.

@  Ashley : (11 January 2020 - 07:09 PM)

I'm on board with that

@  Dekafox : (11 January 2020 - 06:17 PM)

What I'm hearing is we need Cyberverse Waspinator

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 January 2020 - 01:27 AM)

He's appeared across more branding changes than Waspinator, so maybe it's more the other way around.

@  Ashley : (10 January 2020 - 12:01 AM)

is C3PO the Waspinator of Star Wars? he'll live forever, because it's funny for him to suffer

@  Sabrblade : (09 January 2020 - 11:52 PM)

He's still waiting for them to be funny.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 January 2020 - 10:35 PM)

Why?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 04:02 PM)

I've been watching South Park, Family Guy and The Simpsons with a straight face for a decade now.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

If that's what it takes to get you to take the medication, sure.

@  Bass X0 : (09 January 2020 - 01:52 PM)

If I go crazy, will you still call me Superman?

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 11:37 AM)

I mean, it is easier to protect HDDs, and you can retransfer the data over and over forever?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (09 January 2020 - 10:45 AM)

Not in this comparison. He's making his own files, so they're (presumably) not restricted by DRM, so he can copy them as many times as he wants. It's potentially more reliable in the long term than hoping the specific copies you originally bought never accrue any damage for the rest of your life.

@  Echowarrior : (09 January 2020 - 10:44 AM)

I prefer physical copies too. Easier to protect something physical and tangible.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 09:55 AM)

I prefer having physical copies.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 January 2020 - 08:56 AM)

I have plenty of physical media I turn into digital media for my plex server. Just finished ripping Ultra Seven

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Isn't the general consensus that we're supposed to be over physical media anyways?

@  Paladin : (09 January 2020 - 08:17 AM)

i still don't own a Blu-Ray player.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 January 2020 - 07:35 AM)

My current TV works just fine. I don't see a need to upgrade. And by the time I do, the Next Big Thing will probably be out anyway.

@  Benbot : (09 January 2020 - 03:58 AM)

Me neither. I'm no rebel, though. I'm just poor.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 03:38 AM)

I haven't gone 4K yet, I'm a rebel.

@  Ashley : (07 January 2020 - 11:50 PM)

the comic theme is amazing

@  Bass X0 : (07 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Sounds like Victor Caroli but I’m not sure.

@  Bass X0 : (07 January 2020 - 02:35 PM)

Should I recognise the narrator of the Mutant Hunt trailer?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 January 2020 - 04:30 AM)

I got me Titans Return Blaster, now watch them unveil Earthrise Blaster and Generations Perceptor, a retool of Titans Blaster.

@  ThunderWear : (06 January 2020 - 10:22 PM)

I recently switched to to the comic theme here at the Allspark and I'm so happy I just want to look at it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (06 January 2020 - 08:12 AM)

Can you not take so many lines to say anything?

@  fourteenwings : (06 January 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Iunno, maybe people having unique pronunciations of things re:how they understand language makes the world a more colourful place, rather than one where we correct every seemingly grievous error?

@  Nevermore : (06 January 2020 - 06:12 AM)

Others insist on "Michael Yackson".

Photo
- - - - -

Wikipedia help from Fun Pub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
291 replies to this topic

#281 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

Again some people seem to be missing the point of this thread. It's not to make excuses. It's not to make individual articles for every Transformer on WIkipedia. It's to provide a wikipedia page for Fun Publications. If anyone has any sources that might help please post them. If you are going to complain about wikipedia policy or promote a fanwalky... I mean fanwiki, try another thread.

Edited by mignash, 17 January 2011 - 09:29 AM.

#282 Jeysie

Jeysie

Geekbot & Nerdicon Fangirl

• Citizen
  • 3863 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(Nevermore @ Jan 17 2011, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, the flaw with that is what is referred to as "favor journalism" or "courtesy journalism" in German (is there an established English term?), which is becoming more and more widespread these days: As far as Wikipedia is concerned, General Motors stating "facts" about their latest car on their own website is not notable. But when General Motors has Car Magazine reiterate their "facts" in a press release barely disguised as "journalistic" coverage, it suddenly becomes notable.

What's hilarious is that this has even resulted in Wikipedia essentially money laundering unsourced facts in its articles into being "acceptably sourced": http://tech.slashdot...9/02/10/2211220

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again some people seem to be missing the point of this thread. It's not to make excuses. It's not to make individual articles for every Transformer on WIkipedia. It's to provide a wikipedia page for Fun Publications. If anyone has any sources that might help please post them. If you are going to complain about wikipedia policy or promote a fanwalky... I mean fanwiki, try another thread.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Walky... no matter how reasonable and useful a source is by rational standards, some argument will come up on how it doesn't fit Wikipedia's irrational standards. Case in point, Item42's lame excuses about how your source isn't good enough despite the fact that it does exactly what he wanted. (What the hug does a summary of the plot have to do with proving Shattered Glass exists, it's noticed outside of the fandom, and it's part of Timelines? And of course it uses the BotCon logo multiple times; when you talk about a specific event or company it's NORMAL to use their logo for brand recognition. Dur.)

Like both I and Rosicrucian have noted, there will never be a source that is iron-clad un-shoot-downable because the standard structure of print coverage of things like Transformers doesn't work the way Wikipedia expects its sources to, and they won't acknowledge that their one-size-fits-all approach is ignorant and counterproductive.

#283 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

Yes, but how does restating the fact that Wikipedia is very arbatrary and badly run help write an article for Fun Publications. If you have some sources to add, please add them so we can reinforce the article from petty deletions. Don't tell me it can't be done, tell me how you can help get it done!

Edited by mignash, 17 January 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#284 Jeysie

Jeysie

• Citizen
  • 3863 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't tell me it can't be done, tell me how you can help get it done!

How do you expect any of us to help you do something that can't be done? I'm not wasting my time finding a source just so Item42 and Xaaron can give me some brain-dead, illogical reason why it's not good enough, which will be all the more annoying because they're probably right that it won't be.

Making fun of their ridiculous illogic is at least cathartic on some level.

I'm honestly not sure why you waste your time, since you'll never get anywhere.

Edited by Jeysie, 17 January 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#285 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40640 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. We should disengage and be more productive in other areas of our lives.

#286 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

Pete all but actually asks for help on the Fun Pub Wikipedia article (probably since he can't be seen as orchastrating his own article), and all you people do is dismiss him and quit. That's sad.

Edited by mignash, 17 January 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#287 Jeysie

Jeysie

• Citizen
  • 3863 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pete all but actually asks for help on the Fun Pub Wikipedia article (probably since he can't be seen as orchastrating his own article), and all you people do is dismiss him and quit. That's sad.

What's sad is that you can't accept this is a hopeless cause.

I'm always more than willing to help Pete where I can, but this is one case where nothing can be done. I honestly don't get what help you expect us to provide when Item42 and Xaaron have made it crystal clear that every bit of possible help we could think of will be deemed not acceptable. Wave a magic wand and change reality, perhaps?

#288 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43925 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't fight city hall.

Or wikipedia.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#289 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40640 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

Pete also asked that you not support knockoffs of BotCon product, but you kind of threw that back in his face, didn't you?

#290 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 13052 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(Jeysie @ Jan 17 2011, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Nevermore @ Jan 17 2011, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, the flaw with that is what is referred to as "favor journalism" or "courtesy journalism" in German (is there an established English term?), which is becoming more and more widespread these days: As far as Wikipedia is concerned, General Motors stating "facts" about their latest car on their own website is not notable. But when General Motors has Car Magazine reiterate their "facts" in a press release barely disguised as "journalistic" coverage, it suddenly becomes notable.

What's hilarious is that this has even resulted in Wikipedia essentially money laundering unsourced facts in its articles into being "acceptably sourced": http://tech.slashdot...9/02/10/2211220

Yup, that story caused some brief anti-Wikipedia bru-hah over here back when it happened.
aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#291 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12733 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If people think that a Fun Publications page on Wikipedia isn't appropriate, it is wholly on-topic for them to come on and say why it isn't. If they think it is appropriate, it is wholly on-topic for them to come on and discuss the relevant Wikipedia policies that either help or hinder that goal.

#292 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32939 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

What's sad is that you can't let it go and accept that regardless of how much you want this, its not going to happen under the current wikipedia policies, no matter how you frame your arguments. What's sad is that you can't seem to accept that a handful of us aren't going to change wikipedia policies, because we aren't responsible for such things. What's sad is that you are trying to guilt-trip others into helping you beat your head against the wikipedia wall out of pointless stubborn pride.

So don't you dare stoop to trying these tactics with your fellow posters in an attempt to get your way. People have better things to do than waste their time on your behalf, and these attempts speak ill of you, whether or not you care.

You see how they try to justify things in this very thread: half-baked excuses, movement of the goal-posts, logical fallacies, and a dogged refusal to accept valid arguments and criticisms about how wikipedia handles pop-culture articles. Basically, no reasoning is good enough for them, because they'll just continue to do what they want and if we don't like it, that's tough. Why you persist in this is beyond me.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson