Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (26 February 2017 - 09:25 AM)

better than the current ones at least

@  Rycochet : (26 February 2017 - 09:08 AM)

90s Nicktoons were awful.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 08:16 AM)

Yeah, I'd get really pumped to watch it and the other Nicktoons.

@  lastmaximal : (26 February 2017 - 08:04 AM)

You digdug?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:40 AM)

Hate watching stuff like that.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:40 AM)

Also, I digged Doug. Mostly for the ancillary characters, though. Doug himself is one of those characters who gets into situations that make YOU feel embarrassd. Like Fred Savage on The Wonder Years.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:39 AM)

@PlutoniumBoss *Pinwheel fistbump*

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:38 AM)

I remember Today's Special. The Toronto part was something of a revelation from my wife and her family when I came here.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 02:34 AM)

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure Miss Frizzle was a Time Lord.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 02:34 AM)

I got into science because of Magic School Bus.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 February 2017 - 11:25 PM)

Anyone else remember Puttnam's Prairie Emporium? Not sure if it aired outside Canada

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 February 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Today's Special was a favourite of mine. Some of it was actually filmed at a department store here in Toronto

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 February 2017 - 10:34 PM)

Eureka! and Start Here were awesome too.

@  The Doctor Who : (25 February 2017 - 09:59 PM)

I remember watching Newton's Apple on PBS. That's where I learned about thermal insulation layers and why things change temperature faster when you blow on them.

@  MrBlud : (25 February 2017 - 09:51 PM)

Today's Special was my jam!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 February 2017 - 09:48 PM)

Pff. I remember Pinwheel and Today's Special.

@  Paladin : (25 February 2017 - 09:47 PM)

my first Nick show was "Eureka's Castle."

@  MEDdMI : (25 February 2017 - 08:00 PM)

You're all making me feel old

@  ShadowMan024 : (25 February 2017 - 07:58 PM)

And Rocko's Modern Life was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better.

@  ShadowMan024 : (25 February 2017 - 07:57 PM)

Hey Arnold! was better.

@  Echowarrior : (25 February 2017 - 06:42 PM)

And then bought out by Disney.

@  Echowarrior : (25 February 2017 - 06:42 PM)

It certainly wasn't a terrible show. I think it was just overshadowed by its contemporaries.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 February 2017 - 06:19 PM)

I mean, it's not like it was bad, it was just kinda....there. Not especially memorable.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 February 2017 - 06:18 PM)

That requires us to remember that Doug happened, though.

@  TriBlurr : (25 February 2017 - 01:04 PM)

Just send him to whatever world the Cartoon Doug took place in. Lots of purple people there

@  unluckiness : (25 February 2017 - 03:55 AM)

It's gonna go hungry after eating that mind-control guy

@  Waspinator : (25 February 2017 - 03:49 AM)

It's eating purple people and it sure is fine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 February 2017 - 02:27 AM)

It's a one-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people eater!

@  Pennpenn : (25 February 2017 - 12:43 AM)

But it's purple?

@  Noideaforaname : (25 February 2017 - 12:28 AM)

Allspark's just a mean green mother from outer space, and it's BAD!

@  ShadowMan024 : (25 February 2017 - 12:10 AM)

Shut yo' mouth!

@  Patchouli Kn... : (24 February 2017 - 11:19 PM)

The Allspark is one bad mother...

@  Foffy the Sheep : (24 February 2017 - 10:09 PM)

My Allspark has never heard of a mother.

@  BlackMax : (24 February 2017 - 09:28 PM)

My mother has never heard of an Allspark.

@  The Doctor Who : (24 February 2017 - 08:54 PM)

This is your mother on Allspark drugs.

@  Bass X0 : (24 February 2017 - 08:42 PM)

This is your Allspark. This is drugs. This is your Allspark on drugs.

@  unluckiness : (24 February 2017 - 08:33 PM)

"if i was a mom, this would be shocking."

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2017 - 06:37 PM)

Your MOM is Patrick!

@  ShadowMan024 : (24 February 2017 - 04:39 PM)

NO! THIS IS PATRICK!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 February 2017 - 02:56 PM)

https://www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=NlMT-oEIQuo

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 February 2017 - 02:53 PM)

He's a complicated man, and no one understands him but his woman.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 February 2017 - 02:50 PM)

No, this is Patrick.

@  Rycochet : (24 February 2017 - 12:52 PM)

This is 29 Acacia Road, and this is Eric, the schoolboy who leads an exciting double life. For when Eric eats a banana, an amazing transformation occurs.... Eric is Bananaman, ever alert for the call to action!

@  Robowang : (24 February 2017 - 12:22 PM)

Peter Piper picked my pecker

@  RichardT1977 : (24 February 2017 - 11:31 AM)

This script is batnanas. B-A-T-N-A-N-A-S.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 February 2017 - 08:27 AM)

Bats in SPAAAAAAACE!

@  Waspinator : (24 February 2017 - 02:58 AM)

breathes in space

@  MEDdMI : (23 February 2017 - 10:40 PM)

Banananananananaaabatman

@  ShadowMan024 : (23 February 2017 - 10:28 PM)

Batamarangutan.

@  The Doctor Who : (23 February 2017 - 08:30 PM)

Batamarang

Photo
- - - - -

Wikipedia help from Fun Pub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
291 replies to this topic

#281 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

Again some people seem to be missing the point of this thread. It's not to make excuses. It's not to make individual articles for every Transformer on WIkipedia. It's to provide a wikipedia page for Fun Publications. If anyone has any sources that might help please post them. If you are going to complain about wikipedia policy or promote a fanwalky... I mean fanwiki, try another thread.

Edited by mignash, 17 January 2011 - 09:29 AM.

#282 Jeysie

Jeysie

Geekbot & Nerdicon Fangirl

• Citizen
  • 3863 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE(Nevermore @ Jan 17 2011, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, the flaw with that is what is referred to as "favor journalism" or "courtesy journalism" in German (is there an established English term?), which is becoming more and more widespread these days: As far as Wikipedia is concerned, General Motors stating "facts" about their latest car on their own website is not notable. But when General Motors has Car Magazine reiterate their "facts" in a press release barely disguised as "journalistic" coverage, it suddenly becomes notable.

What's hilarious is that this has even resulted in Wikipedia essentially money laundering unsourced facts in its articles into being "acceptably sourced": http://tech.slashdot...9/02/10/2211220

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again some people seem to be missing the point of this thread. It's not to make excuses. It's not to make individual articles for every Transformer on WIkipedia. It's to provide a wikipedia page for Fun Publications. If anyone has any sources that might help please post them. If you are going to complain about wikipedia policy or promote a fanwalky... I mean fanwiki, try another thread.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Walky... no matter how reasonable and useful a source is by rational standards, some argument will come up on how it doesn't fit Wikipedia's irrational standards. Case in point, Item42's lame excuses about how your source isn't good enough despite the fact that it does exactly what he wanted. (What the hug does a summary of the plot have to do with proving Shattered Glass exists, it's noticed outside of the fandom, and it's part of Timelines? And of course it uses the BotCon logo multiple times; when you talk about a specific event or company it's NORMAL to use their logo for brand recognition. Dur.)

Like both I and Rosicrucian have noted, there will never be a source that is iron-clad un-shoot-downable because the standard structure of print coverage of things like Transformers doesn't work the way Wikipedia expects its sources to, and they won't acknowledge that their one-size-fits-all approach is ignorant and counterproductive.

#283 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

Yes, but how does restating the fact that Wikipedia is very arbatrary and badly run help write an article for Fun Publications. If you have some sources to add, please add them so we can reinforce the article from petty deletions. Don't tell me it can't be done, tell me how you can help get it done!

Edited by mignash, 17 January 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#284 Jeysie

Jeysie

• Citizen
  • 3863 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't tell me it can't be done, tell me how you can help get it done!

How do you expect any of us to help you do something that can't be done? I'm not wasting my time finding a source just so Item42 and Xaaron can give me some brain-dead, illogical reason why it's not good enough, which will be all the more annoying because they're probably right that it won't be.

Making fun of their ridiculous illogic is at least cathartic on some level.

I'm honestly not sure why you waste your time, since you'll never get anywhere.

Edited by Jeysie, 17 January 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#285 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36187 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. We should disengage and be more productive in other areas of our lives.

#286 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

Pete all but actually asks for help on the Fun Pub Wikipedia article (probably since he can't be seen as orchastrating his own article), and all you people do is dismiss him and quit. That's sad.

Edited by mignash, 17 January 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#287 Jeysie

Jeysie

• Citizen
  • 3863 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pete all but actually asks for help on the Fun Pub Wikipedia article (probably since he can't be seen as orchastrating his own article), and all you people do is dismiss him and quit. That's sad.

What's sad is that you can't accept this is a hopeless cause.

I'm always more than willing to help Pete where I can, but this is one case where nothing can be done. I honestly don't get what help you expect us to provide when Item42 and Xaaron have made it crystal clear that every bit of possible help we could think of will be deemed not acceptable. Wave a magic wand and change reality, perhaps?

#288 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 42919 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't fight city hall.

Or wikipedia.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#289 Walky

Walky

STRONG GRUDGE

• Citizen
  • 36187 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

Pete also asked that you not support knockoffs of BotCon product, but you kind of threw that back in his face, didn't you?

#290 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 11104 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(Jeysie @ Jan 17 2011, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Nevermore @ Jan 17 2011, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, the flaw with that is what is referred to as "favor journalism" or "courtesy journalism" in German (is there an established English term?), which is becoming more and more widespread these days: As far as Wikipedia is concerned, General Motors stating "facts" about their latest car on their own website is not notable. But when General Motors has Car Magazine reiterate their "facts" in a press release barely disguised as "journalistic" coverage, it suddenly becomes notable.

What's hilarious is that this has even resulted in Wikipedia essentially money laundering unsourced facts in its articles into being "acceptably sourced": http://tech.slashdot...9/02/10/2211220

Yup, that story caused some brief anti-Wikipedia bru-hah over here back when it happened.

#291 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 10679 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 17 2011, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If people think that a Fun Publications page on Wikipedia isn't appropriate, it is wholly on-topic for them to come on and say why it isn't. If they think it is appropriate, it is wholly on-topic for them to come on and discuss the relevant Wikipedia policies that either help or hinder that goal.

#292 Year Zero

Year Zero

New dawn rises. Behold the Lord of flies.

• Supporter
  • 31141 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

What's sad is that you can't let it go and accept that regardless of how much you want this, its not going to happen under the current wikipedia policies, no matter how you frame your arguments. What's sad is that you can't seem to accept that a handful of us aren't going to change wikipedia policies, because we aren't responsible for such things. What's sad is that you are trying to guilt-trip others into helping you beat your head against the wikipedia wall out of pointless stubborn pride.

So don't you dare stoop to trying these tactics with your fellow posters in an attempt to get your way. People have better things to do than waste their time on your behalf, and these attempts speak ill of you, whether or not you care.

You see how they try to justify things in this very thread: half-baked excuses, movement of the goal-posts, logical fallacies, and a dogged refusal to accept valid arguments and criticisms about how wikipedia handles pop-culture articles. Basically, no reasoning is good enough for them, because they'll just continue to do what they want and if we don't like it, that's tough. Why you persist in this is beyond me.

"Don’t you see? Violence doesn’t end violence. It extends it." - The Tenth Doctor