Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM)

It's a good deal if you want a full set of Refraktor (and if they have them at your location)

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Here we can buy two and get one free, but at least two of them are gonna be the same toy, because lol distribution.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 01:01 PM)

In the U.K., it’s more like you but two, you only get one given how expensive they are.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Transformers are Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target this week.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2019 - 04:29 AM)

2019 has been one long South Park episode.

@  Sjogre : (16 November 2019 - 10:46 PM)

Okay, that actually sounds pretty fun.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 12:49 PM)

It was set in the forties, featured Nazi's as the villains and had Kiko fight mostly Ice Age animals and a mythical dragon that now ruled the island guarding Kongs treasure.

@  Paladin : (15 November 2019 - 11:37 AM)

and it was ALSO eleven hours long.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 November 2019 - 10:55 AM)

In a alternate reality Peter Jackson made Son of Kong.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 November 2019 - 09:30 AM)

To be fair to boba: everyone else to go into the sarlacc was a sacrifice. Stripped almost naked and tossed, and didn't have body armor, a jetpack and a weapon.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2019 - 06:54 AM)

Nah, he just has to keep up his plot insurance payments so he can shoot his way out of the Sarlacc again.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 November 2019 - 02:59 AM)

Funny, but everyone knows he bounty hunts for Jabba Hutt to finance his 'Vette.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 November 2019 - 02:54 AM)

Okay.. Not sure why.. but streaming is harder than jsut playing the game.. even though that's pretty much what I was doing.

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

Photo
- - - - -

Wikipedia help from Fun Pub

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
291 replies to this topic

#241 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22906 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 12 2011, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exdept of course some jokers keep removing the Botcon toys from being mentioned in the Botcon article. After all, how important are exclusive collectable toys to a TOY COLLECTORS CONVENTION!

I also noticed that the artlcle on TFCon got deleted recently, and it had a lot of cited media coverage.

What, you think all articles on collectors' conventions need a list of every single toy it's ever released?

#242 Jeysie

Jeysie

Geekbot & Nerdicon Fangirl

• Citizen
  • 3863 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Jan 11 2011, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Timelines as a collective" is a bit complicated, considering that connections between universes are found on things not called Timelines.

So? Connections between universes are irrelevant to Timelines status as a brand and franchise. You don't need that connection within Timelines fiction because they don't need to be connected to qualify as a brand. After all, we're not sitting here arguing that Transformers itself isn't a real brand or franchise even though it includes several dozen different subfranchises, toylines, continuities, etc.

Sources which refer to "Shattered Glass", "TransTech", etc. are acceptable because those universes are a part of the accepted Timelines brand. If people don't understand that, that's the point of an article to begin with; to teach them that's how it works.

This isn't rocket science, dude. Most of your arguments are based on things that either are irrelevant, inconsistent, or are more complicated than the situation actually is, and it's getting a little annoying hearing the same broken record after this has been pointed out to you.

#243 GlassBeadGame

GlassBeadGame
  • Citizen
  • 87 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Jan 11 2011, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyways, on the topic of the Timelines page getting deleted on WP, it was established at some point that a source writing on Timelines as a collective would have really helped to convince people to keep it. Perhaps other stuff would have, but not mentions of individual toys or comic reviews with no plot synopsis or explanations of individual plot points.

In any discussion where as many delete votes as that don't even have a basis in reality, convincing people to change their minds is a bit like convincing them to defy gravity.

#244 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42418 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Jan 11 2011, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exdept of course some jokers keep removing the Botcon toys from being mentioned in the Botcon article. After all, how important are exclusive collectable toys to a TOY COLLECTORS CONVENTION!

I also noticed that the artlcle on TFCon got deleted recently, and it had a lot of cited media coverage.

What, you think all articles on collectors' conventions need a list of every single toy it's ever released?

For completeness sake, it would be nice.

It's not like we're talking about a ginormous toy line consisting of thousands of entries; I think it would be more than reasonable to have a list of all the toys that a convention known for having exclusive toys has released.

#245 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Well, we could have just put the Botcon toys on the Transformers: Timelines page, but then some joker ran a several week long campaign posting over 40 messages as part of a self-described "campaign of deletion" to get that one erased!

#246 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22906 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 12 2011, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we could have just put the Botcon toys on the Transformers: Timelines page, but then some joker ran a several week long campaign posting over 40 messages as part of a self-described "campaign of deletion" to get that one erased!

"Campaign of deletion" as in those 3 words consecutively, is you're own. Am pretty sure that exact word string didn't come up before you used it. Notin aything relevant to this.

Edited by Item42, 11 January 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#247 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

Your quote from the tfwiki "big-time deletion campaign." Not a campaign to correct, improve, add sources to, or clean up the articles. A campaign to delete them!

So except for the precise wording everything is true?

Edited by mignash, 11 January 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#248 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Jan 11 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For completeness sake, it would be nice.

It's not like we're talking about a ginormous toy line consisting of thousands of entries; I think it would be more than reasonable to have a list of all the toys that a convention known for having exclusive toys has released.

I think it would make sense since these toys are part of the convention itself! When you order your tickets you also order the exclusives as pack of a package. It's not like they are just toys that happen to come out at Botcon time, they are part of the convention admission!

What I find amazing is that someone worries so much about letting there be something they don't want in a simple article, that they fight so hard to keep it out. Do these people have trouble sleeping at night being worried that there might be a few extra sentences in the Botcon article about the toys?

Edited by mignash, 11 January 2011 - 02:17 PM.

#249 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22906 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 12 2011, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your quote from the tfwiki "big-time deletion campaign." Not a campaign to correct, improve, add sources to, or clean up the articles. A campaign to delete them!

That, and how you seem to think all the deletion is my fault. The people on WP were already sick of the terrible articles that nobody does anything about. Sure I started getting rid of articles in large numbers, but other people already wanted to do something. I just reminded them they can/should. Also, with "campaign", I think I was describing the Claritas socks back when they still looked like different people. I said such a thing (something I couldn't find the right word to describe and decided on "campain" at some point) was going on, I didn't say I was behind it.

#250 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12646 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE(-Blackout- @ Jan 11 2011, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://en.wikipedia....et_the_point.22

It may be a Wikipedia "behavioural guideline", but some people here would probably benefit from reading it.

Having read the guideline, I could honestly make that accusation of both sides here....

#251 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42418 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Jan 11 2011, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure I started getting rid of articles in large numbers

I just reminded them they can/should.

I didn't say I was behind it.

So you started it, told others that they should do it too...but since you're not the only one that deleted articles, you're not the one "behind it" all?

#252 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22906 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(NightViper @ Jan 12 2011, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure I started getting rid of articles in large numbers

I just reminded them they can/should.

I didn't say I was behind it.

So you started it, told others that they should do it too...but since you're not the only one that deleted articles, you're not the one "behind it" all?

Well, it seems like people already thought of doing it, perhaps they got the idea from me, but I never told them to.

#253 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

If you want to be helpful, try spending as much time researching citations and adding good content as you do trying to get articles deleted. I'm ordering book and magazines on ebay and at the library to get citations for articles that you delete before the book arrives!

#254 Professor

Professor
  • Citizen
  • 4035 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

It's pretty obvious that efforts like this aren't really done by people trying to improve wikipedia. There's a lot to be said for correcting, limiting, or containing articles, but outright removing information that could be clearly and succinctly presented is clearly contrary to wiki's overall principles. In this case, there are an awful lot of smaller and less significant organizations listed in wiki, and pursuing the Timelines brand in this way clearly isn't an efficient way to make wiki better.

So, the real question is, what are people who do this trying to do. What's in it for them? I suppose the easy analysis is that it's just a power trip from internet dwellers craving some sense of authority, but I really doubt it's so simple. People don't target information for eradication randomly like that. I think it's pretty likely that this started somewhere with a po'd TF fan, who decided to use wiki to pursue a personal agenda, and everything just fell out from that.

My point is, while I suppose the wiki community can be blamed for having easily manipulated or bandwagon-y elements, I suspect the Transformers community created this problem itself. I don't think we get to be holier-than-thou to wikipedia on this, because it's probably one of our own crazies who started it.

#255 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22906 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 12 2011, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want to be helpful, try spending as much time researching citations and adding good content as you do trying to get articles deleted. I'm ordering book and magazines on ebay and at the library to get citations for articles that you delete before the book arrives!

Which one did I "delete before the book arrives"? The Timelines page was deleted minutes after you mentioned a magazine, and it said preview, which is probably part of the reason people aren't convinced that it's gonna be enough. (Some time earlier on, somebody mentioned that previews are not really extensive coverage that gets an article kept).

#256 (Deactivated) mignash

(Deactivated) mignash
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 12 2011, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That, and how you seem to think all the deletion is my fault. The people on WP were already sick of the terrible articles that nobody does anything about. Sure I started getting rid of articles in large numbers, but other people already wanted to do something. I just reminded them they can/should. Also, with "campaign", I think I was describing the Claritas socks back when they still looked like different people. I said such a thing (something I couldn't find the right word to describe and decided on "campain" at some point) was going on, I didn't say I was behind it.

So there were other people nominating articles for deletion en mass without trying to improve them... you joined in. Then it was discovered that most of those others were sock puppeteers whose intention was to disrupt and sabotage Wikipedia while pissing everone off... and so you decided the best course of action was to CONTINUE to do the same thing you did before.

BTW - A preview of a toy in a magazine is just a review before the toy is released. Considering the magazine STILL hasn't arrived, I can't argue the point, but thanks to your efforts everyone on Wikipedia is so sick of debating Timelines, I don't dare ask for another deletion review.

Edited by mignash, 11 January 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#257 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22906 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE(mignash @ Jan 12 2011, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So there were other people nominating articles for deletion en mass without trying to improve them... you joined in. Then it was discovered that those others were sock puppeteers whose intention was to disrupt and sabotage Wikipedia while pissing everone off... and so you decided the best course of action was to CONTINUE to do the same thing.

Not really. As pointed out on WP, just because a sock puppet suggested somethin doesn't mean it's wrong. The socks get banned, but people can make up their mind about what's right.

QUOTE(Professor @ Jan 12 2011, 03:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's pretty obvious that efforts like this aren't really done by people trying to improve wikipedia. There's a lot to be said for correcting, limiting, or containing articles, but outright removing information that could be clearly and succinctly presented is clearly contrary to wiki's overall principles. In this case, there are an awful lot of smaller and less significant organizations listed in wiki, and pursuing the Timelines brand in this way clearly isn't an efficient way to make wiki better.

So, the real question is, what are people who do this trying to do. What's in it for them? I suppose the easy analysis is that it's just a power trip from internet dwellers craving some sense of authority, but I really doubt it's so simple. People don't target information for eradication randomly like that. I think it's pretty likely that this started somewhere with a po'd TF fan, who decided to use wiki to pursue a personal agenda, and everything just fell out from that.

My point is, while I suppose the wiki community can be blamed for having easily manipulated or bandwagon-y elements, I suspect the Transformers community created this problem itself. I don't think we get to be holier-than-thou to wikipedia on this, because it's probably one of our own crazies who started it.

Hmmm, if by "the Transformers community created this problem itself", do you mean that they written terrible articles that shouldn't stand a chance for a ood number of reasons and then never did anything to fix it until some people get pissed of and start getting rid of the articles?
I think the people deletin this are trying to improve WP, the whole "just because it's true doesn't mean belongs here" thing is the best justification I find for their notability rule. Plus, a lot of the articles are just really, really bad. It's at least improving like "expelling the struggling students to improve a school's average performance". Although unlike students, articles are not living people. I think here has some answers. Perhaps some things I did had seemed like campaigning, but I stopped those things. And, unlike what Mignash has continually said, I never used that description on myself. He could have pointed out that somethin was wrong with that, but he kept commentin on something I didn't do, and only pointed out what I most definitely did wrong there like months ago (the link there should show that).

Edited by Item42, 11 January 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#258 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26943 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Jan 11 2011, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's at least improving like "expelling the struggling students to improve a school's average performance".

Do you hate agreement? Is that what's going on here? Do you just hate having people agree with you?

#259 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22906 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Jan 12 2011, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's at least improving like "expelling the struggling students to improve a school's average performance".

Do you hate agreement? Is that what's going on here? Do you just hate having people agree with you?

I'm not really sure anymore about who's agreeing with what.

Edited by Item42, 11 January 2011 - 03:20 PM.

#260 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26943 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Item42 @ Jan 11 2011, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(▲ndrusi @ Jan 12 2011, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not really sure anymore about who's agreeing with what.

"Expelling the struggling students to improve a school's average performance" is a textbook example of manufacturing superficial improvement while not actually improving anything. If you're arguing that people are really trying to improve Wikipedia by nominating articles for deletion, then that's a terrible analogy to use.

Edited by ▲ndrusi, 11 January 2011 - 03:43 PM.