Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 11:11 AM)

Yeah, could you maybe be more specific? Are they good robots? Bad ones? Do they just want to take our jobs? We need more information to work out how we feel about them.

@  Benbot : (14 August 2019 - 11:03 AM)

which ones?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

Robots are coming....

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2019 - 07:14 PM)

my nephew showed me the cuphead rap, and now it's stuck in my head...

@  Hg Dragon : (12 August 2019 - 07:07 PM)

Hershey squirts. AKA diarrhea

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

The He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Thread

2570 replies to this topic

#1461 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

Googled her - huh, what's she, the daughter of Man-E-Faces and the Enchantress from Thor? Was she a She-Ra cartoon character?

Edited by BB Shockwave, 17 July 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#1462 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7712 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

I try to avoid most of MOTUC drama because it's depressing at best and infuriating at worst.  So I wasn't really sure what all the hub-bub was about regarding the new Double Mischief/Trouble figure from the POP subscription.

Well, I got her today and wow.  Just wow.  The face and neck are sooooooo bad.  Matty, you've outdone yourself this time.

I'm so glad that I have no nostalgic emotion tied to this figure or I would have been horrified.  Instead, I've got more of a "well this was certainly a $40 practical joke" kind of amusement mixed with the depressing realisation that I spent $40 on it.  Ah well, at least with Matty's mindless separate shipment of DM and Flogg, I've got a separate box I can use to ship her in when I sell her on eBay for an assured loss.

#1463 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38857 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

So what is the big difference?  From the few pictures I've found, it looks like she lost her facial expression, but I can only see it from the one angle at the moment.

Edited by Spark, 17 July 2014 - 03:09 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#1464 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7712 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Well, in order to accommodate her "action feature" of switching faces, they had to house the swiveling mechanism with a really fat neck-choker.  And then to allow her face to rotate in the limited space provided by her helmet, they basically compressed her entire face into a flatter visage.  Essentially, she looks like a Looney Tunes character that ran smack into an Acme brick wall, except with some serious double-chin going on.

#1465 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38857 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Huh.  They couldn't enlarge her... 'hairmet' or whatever that is instead?  Bizarre.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#1466 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7712 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Or, you know, have an alternate head instead of a stoopid action feature.

Nope.

Someone on the .Org opted to use black marker or paint to create some perceived depth, and it looks a lot better that way.  Still not enough to warrant keeping her.

Oh, and Flogg came, too.  He's selling fodder as well.  What a disappointing month.  What's coming out next month?  Oh, right.  Butterfly Barbie and Fat-Boy Space Skeletor.  Ugh.

At least I have Madame Razz and the Faker head to look forward to.

#1467 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2962 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

Googled her - huh, what's she, the daughter of Man-E-Faces and the Enchantress from Thor? Was she a She-Ra cartoon character?

Toy only character.

#1468 Big Show

Big Show

Had about enough of your crap, Mario.

• Supporter
  • 7862 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

The guy who did the primary design on her has supposedly left Mattel. I really don't know how anyone could justify having something that looks that bad make it out of any preliminary sculpting stage.

QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a distinct difference between buying something and SUPERbuying.
And SUPERbuying is not quite as extreme as buying the HUG outta something.
There's a hierarchy.

#1469 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65376 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

The original mockup had her with a normal face and neck, it was by the time it went into production that things were hugged up.

See the photo attached.

DoubleTrouble_EvilFace_021.jpg

My evil face can't even look through the opening of her helmet that well, either because of some sculpting or production issue.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#1470 Rycochet

Rycochet

Maybe it's imaginary.

• Citizen
  • 2726 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

I like her evil face, but I'm a big fan of Tim Curry's performance as Dr. Frank-N-Furter in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I kind of want a Rocky He-man in gold undies to go with.

Edited by Rycochet, 18 July 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#1471 StarSaber

StarSaber
  • Validating
  • 2882 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

I always liked the fact that Orko - on his own plane - is a magician of Merlin-like powers. Not sure if that was so in the original MOTU or just the 200X series, but it made his bumblings all the more understandable - he finds it hard to cope with the fact how his powers are now totally unpredicatable and weaker.

I'm pretty sure that was also in the Filmation series. Orko's magic didn't work well outside of Trolla (everything works backwards) so he relied on an amulet/talisman which he lost shortly after coming to Eternia.

-SS (Dree-Elle even said he was famous for his skills back home)

Edited by StarSaber, 18 July 2014 - 07:32 PM.

• D.M likes this

#1472 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2962 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

That's correct.

#1473 Monzo

Monzo

The Weirdest Fan Experience

• Citizen
  • 2201 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

tumblr_n8y28fxt6C1rtwoppo1_500.jpg

And the final piece of color Masters of the Universe live-action concept art from the William Stout trading card set - Saurod. Larger versions of the art and the cardbacks (with unrelated art and middling production background info)  are posted up at my Tumblr.

http://monzo12782.tu...of-the-Universe

Edited by Monzo, 19 July 2014 - 05:43 PM.

• D.M likes this

#1474 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17137 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

Saurod was easily my favorite of the movie designs.

-ZacWilliam, oh how I wish someone could travel back in time and convince them not to make half the film about Courtney Cox and the Principle from BttF. The parts that were Eternian were weird, but cool enough that I'd have loved to see more...

• D.M likes this
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#1475 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2962 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

Unfortunately, the budget forced them to have large portion of the movie take place on Earth. :(

Speaking of more Eternian scenes, check out this bit that got taken out due to budget:

Prior to production starting, I had added an entire sequence involving the caves beneath Grayskull where the Snakemen have come in order to help defeat Grayskull, joining with Skeletor. The heroes are dragged into the tunnels and a lot of action takes place amid the tension of them trying to escape from the caverns.

http://www.he-man.or...hp?id=51&fid=85

BTW, have you guys seen early concept art for the movie?

Edited by D.M, 22 July 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#1476 Betty Nor

Betty Nor
  • Citizen
  • 7712 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

I'm having second thoughts about trying to sell Flogg (not like I could give him away right now).  Someone on the Org has been using his body type with a bunch of different heads, and actually, Flogg's body is awesome for some really neat customs.

Zodac's head on the Flogg body is probably my favourite.

http://www.he-man.or...l=1#post3483009

#1477 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65376 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Yeah Flogg has a really good sculpt if you exclude the head.

I think 4H could have done a much better job with his head sculpt.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#1478 Moroboshi

Moroboshi

Longtime member, sometimes lurker

• Citizen
  • 942 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Saurod was easily my favorite of the movie designs.

-ZacWilliam, oh how I wish someone could travel back in time and convince them not to make half the film about Courtney Cox and the Principle from BttF. The parts that were Eternian were weird, but cool enough that I'd have loved to see more...

NOBODY'S cutting Lubbick outta this movie! *gunfire*

#1479 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65376 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

Some figures from SDCC have been leaked.

http://thefwoosh.com...=91803&start=15

NA She-Ra looks nice as a sort of 1980's space girl / NA He-Man based / original She-Ra chest amalgam.  I like the way she matches He-Man and pays homage to the 1980's sci-fi styling and her original toy.

Tongue Lasher looks fantastic.  Love the tongue head.

Sweet Bee is like most of the other She-Ra figures for me, just not very interesting.

Randy

ACItEK8.png

#1480 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17137 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

NA She-Ra is a fun idea for me cause I have a lot of nostalgia for that line and it's neat to see a new character adapted to its style. This is an original design, yes?

LOVE Tounglasher, as the original was one of my favorite MotU bad guy toys as a kid. Loved that thing.

-ZacWilliam, I might have to buy both of those. I wich Man-At-Arms hadn't been killed in the toyline's fiction as I would have loved to see him reimagined NA style too...
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users